Find your perfect college degree
In this article, we will be covering...
Currently, there are many offers of exciting opportunities for business professionals to advance their careers. In rapidly changing and increasingly globalized financial markets, earning an online Master’s degree in Finance will prepare you with strategies for success.
The vast field that it is, Finance is a discipline that is useful across numerous sectors concerned with business and economic activities. Whether you’re shifting careers or taking your Finance career to the next level, you need to enroll in the best educational institutions that make you stand out with a set of outstanding skills!
Earning an online Master’s in Finance degree will give seasoned professionals avenues for assessing and adjusting to the increasing styles of social and financial exchange, as well as needed information on the growing importance of alternative currencies. If you are searching for career advancement, perhaps a leadership or management position, earn your online Master of Finance degree today!
Quick audio summary:
A Diverse Degree
The Master of Finance degree includes a common core focus on finance; however, it opens many horizons of the financial world including financial management, theory and research, financial engineering, investment, corporate finance, and other fields.
Like the MBA, the Master’s of Finance is designed to give graduate students and business professionals general exposure to advanced finance. However, the Master’s of Finance is designed for specialized fields and provides a smaller window onto general finance, but a deeper dive into a particular area.
Specializations in Finance
Common areas of specialization include financial engineering, mathematical finance, computational finance, financial modeling, derivatives, and risk management. Often professionals who are earning a Master’s of Finance will double major in an MBA program. Take note that an MBA often requires three to five years of experience.
Career and salary prospects for graduates holding a Master’s in Finance are excellent. Payscale.com reports that holders of a Master’s of Finance degree earn an average of $82,000 per year.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics lists several finance occupations that earn between $75,000 and $150,00 per year and many more that earn well above $150,000 per year. According to the same source, many jobs are expecting an exponential growth of 8% over the next decade.
In previous decades this level of advanced training in the field of finance was available in a brick-and-mortar classroom setting. As with finance itself, the internet has sparked a revolution in finance education. Now graduate students and professionals can earn a Master’s of Finance degree without ever setting foot on a college campus.
With a Master’s in the field, you gain all the skills required of a trustworthy and competent professional. We have indexed the Best Online Master’s of Finance degree programs for you, all of them offered by the country’s leading graduate schools. Each of the online grad programs is well-regarded and popularly picked by students for their excellent features:
- A fully online or a partially online/blended format of instruction, providing students the convenience and flexibility they need for career development,
- Rigorous coursework featuring numerous Finance concentrations,
- A panel of online instructors that hold Masters in Accounting degrees or terminal degrees in the same discipline and expertise in the financial markets,
- Graduate study resources for academic advancement and dedicated career services,
- Financial aid programs for Online Master of Finance students who qualify for the assistance,
- Accelerated Master of Finance degree completion options,
- Well-regarded by academic organizations and frequently featured in academic listings,
- and, Full accreditation status.
To learn more, see our Methodology page.
Best Online Master’s of Finance Graduate Schools
McDonough School of Business
The online Master of Science in Finance (MSF) program at Georgetown University is a game-changer for people who want careers centered around finance. It can transform you from a professional to an industry leader and equip you with skills to take your finance career to higher levels.
To qualify for admission to Georgetown University’s Master of Science in Finance online program, you should comply with these requirements:
- A Personal Statement
- Be sure to state the reasons why you’re convinced that Georgetown is the path that can lead you to a successful Master of Science in Finance degree and beyond.
- Show the admissions committee that you are an asset to the university’s MSF community, and let them know how you plan to attain your goals.
- As a candidate for admission into the university’s MSF degree program, you must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Georgetown University doesn’t require a minimum GPA., but it expects you to have an average GPA of not less than 3.0.
- Your GMAT or GRE score
- Your professional experience and career history, or pre-baccalaureate work experience such as summer jobs, undergrad internships, etc.
- Letters of Recommendation attesting your potential and capability to succeed in Georgetown University’s MSF program
- One-time payment of $175 as an application fee
- Official transcripts
- Official TOEFL/IELTS scores (if applicable)
- Video conference Interview
As a Georgetown University Master of Science in Finance student, you’ll be mentored by accomplished scholars with proven expertise in the field.
Georgetown University uses cutting-edge technology to provide you with an interactive online learning experience. Their case method of instruction will put you in real-world business situations to give you a rewarding learning experience.
The 2021 Financial Times Global MBA ranking lists Georgetown University’s MBA program as the 17th in the world and 9th in the US.
University of Miami
Coral Gables, FL
The Master of Science in Finance – the University of Miami produces the best graduates ready for a career in finance, financial services, or insurance.
When you pursue a Master of Finance degree at the University of Miami, you’ll be given a dedicated enrollment advisor for guidance and assistance. But for you to have a seamless application experience, you may prepare these requirements beforehand.
- Completed application
- Copies of all unofficial transcripts to be electronic to the University of Miami, and all official transcripts
- GMAT or GRE test scores
- The most recent resume that includes details of your professional experience
- A one-page personal statement that addresses your interest in the school’s master of finance online program as well as its influence on your profession and career goals.
- Language proficiency (TOEFL) scores – if your first language is not English.
- Letter of recommendation from two disinterested professionals who can attest to your professional ability
The University of Miami’s Master of Science in Finance online program is designed to equip you with advanced finance, investments, communication, and organizational leadership. You will need these skills to build a career in corporate finance and financial management.
The University of Miami’s Online Master of Science in Finance degree program is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
The world-renowned balladeer Enrique Iglesias is a student of business at the University of Miami.
St. Louis, Missouri
The Master of Science degree program at Webster University is designed to give you, the student, comprehensive knowledge of finance as a field of endeavor. After completing the program, you are expected to qualify for key positions in companies and markets, especially those focusing on investments and corporate finance.
Webster University accepts applications for admission on a rolling basis. However, it encourages students to apply one semester before their planned enrollment. Here are the requirements to be admitted:
- A bachelor’s degree from a Webster University-recognized school, preferably in the business discipline
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 (minimum) on a 4.0 scale
- Complete an online application at webster.edu/apply
- Upload these supporting documents and submit them together with your online application at webster.edu/apply:
- Application Essay
- Two Letters of Recommendation from professional Contacts
- TOEFL scores – a minimum score of 100 is required
- Official Transcripts – must be transmitted electronically by your previous schools to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Resume with details or finance-related work experience
- Applicants to the university’s MS in Finance degree who possess a bachelor’s degree outside of the business discipline are required to these undergraduate courses with a minimum grade of C
- Management Theory & Practices
- Financial Accounting
- Introduction to Statistics
- Survey of Economics
- Business & Global Issues
- Ethical Issues in Business
The Online Master of Science in Finance degree program at Webster University can be your guarantee for opportunities to advance your career or steer it in a new direction.
It offers freedom of choice, convenience, and flexibility in your pursuit to level up via a master’s degree program – and they commit to preparing you to excel in the real world of business and finance.
The Accreditation Council accredits the MS in finance at Webster University for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
US Secretary of Defense and retired Gen. Lloyd Austin III is the first Webster graduate that become a member of the US federal government cabinet.
The Master of Finance (MFIN) degree program at Creighton University is offered at the Heider College of Business. One of the school’s most important goals is to make students like you understand finance in its most practical and deepest sense. It intends to develop practical thinking skills that you can apply in business and management.
If you desire to pursue Creighton University’s Master of Finance degree program, these are the admission requirements that you need to comply with:
- A Bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- An application for admission completed online
- Payment of an application fee of $50
- Official transcripts from all educational institutions attended
- GMAT score
- Two letters of recommendation
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Personal statement
The Master of Finance online program offered at Creighton University is extremely flexible. It allows you to choose from three different modes of instruction – on-campus, online, or a combination of both. The good thing is – the school accepts applications at any time because they review applications on a rolling basis.
If you desire to acquire knowledge that can help advance your finance career, you should consider Creighton University’s Master of Finance degree program. It’s a school that’s committed to helping you stand out in accounting, auditing, financial analysis, financial planning, and other related subjects.
Ninety-nine percent of Creighton University’s 2020-2021 graduates were employed within six months of graduation.
Saint Joseph’s University
The Master of Science in Finance (Finance M.S) at Saint Joseph’s University prepares you to face the fast-paced, dynamic financial industry head-on! It offers three valuable courses to give you the knowledge and skills you need to enrich your professional goals. These are:
- Financial Analysis – makes you learn to analyze market data
- Financial Planning – prepares you for the CFP® Board certification examination, an essential requirement for obtaining a CFP® certification.
- Real Estate Finance – provides you with the knowledge, skills, and tools you need to advance your career to a higher level
These are the requirements that you should comply with to qualify for admission to Saint Joseph University’s Finance MS degree program:
- A bachelor’s degree
- A completed application package that encompasses the following:
- Completed online application
- An application fee of $35
- Official transcripts from other schools you have previously attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- Professional resume
- Personal statement
- An essay that tells about your education and career goals
- Official GMAT or GRE score for tests taken within the last seven years
The Certified Financial Planner Board recognizes the Finance MS degree at Saint Joseph’s University. Whether you are an experienced or aspiring professional, you’ll have a lot to learn from the university, especially in critical thinking, financial planning and analysis, risk management, and best practices in the financial industry.
Saint Joseph University can guarantee that you will graduate from its Finance MS degree program prepared to face the real financial world.
Saint Joseph’s University was established in 1851 by the Society of Jesus. Niche.com features the University as one of the “2021 Best Colleges“. It was also included in Money magazine’s “Best College for Your Money” list.
Colorado State University Global
Colorado State University Global’s Online Master’s Degree in Finance program was designed to enrich your knowledge and hone your skills in financial management. It commits itself to helping you attain your financial career goals.
To qualify for admission to CSU Global’s master’s degree in finance program, you should be able to meet these requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree
- A GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) – applicants whose GPAs are lower than 3.0 may apply for provisional admission
- Official transcripts from schools previously attended
- A 500-word written Statement of Purpose
- A professional resume that includes the following details:
- All collegiate work
- Professional employment
- Special skills or competencies
- Publications, exhibitions, awards, prizes, and service activities
Once you are officially enrolled at Colorado State University Global’s Online Master’s Degree in Finance program, you are guaranteed to gain financial knowledge and skills that will give you a good understanding of modern financial theories and principles.
As a student of CSU Global’s Online Master of Finance program, you’ll have the opportunity to stand out in the areas of financial analysis and management and establish a fruitful career as a financial consultant.
Ninety percent of recent graduates of Colorado State University admit that if given another chance to study, they will choose CSU and rate their education as excellent.
West Texas A&M University
Offered in the Paul and Virginia Engler College of Business at West Texas A&M University, the MSFE online program is for students and professionals who want to enhance their knowledge and understanding of finance and economics.
If you desire to enroll at the Paul and Virginia Engler College of Business at West Texas A&M University’s Master of Science in Finance and Economics Online degree program, you should adhere to these admission requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree
- A completed WTAMU Graduate School application
- Official transcripts from all colleges previously attended
- Overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- A two-page essay that addresses the following subjects:
- Your education and career goals
- How you can meet your goals with a degree in Interdisciplinary Studies
- The three disciplines that you want to study
- The specific learning outcomes you want to achieve from the program
Be sure to produce a profound and quality essay because it is also considered your writing sample and deemed one of the bases for your admission.
The MSFE program of the Paul and Virginia Engler College of Business at West Texas A&M University is primarily intended for working professionals who want to advance their careers but keep their work-life balance. It is particularly helpful to students and professionals who aspire to work or are already connected in any of the following:
- Finance institutions
- Finance departments in private companies and government offices
- Economic and Financial Consultancy
- Teaching profession
- Advanced studies like law or doctorate programs in finance, economics, or marketing
The website usnews.com lists West Texas A&M University at number 41 in their list of top public schools in the US and number 83 in Regional Universities West in 2021.
University of Scranton
The Master of Science (MS) in Finance degree, offered online at the University of Scranton, will open doors for you to the real world of finance. This degree program is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and is offered online and on-campus through the Kania School of Management.
Like other graduate schools, the University of Scranton has a set of admission requirements for aspiring master in finance students like you to comply with. These are:
- A bachelor’s degree
- A completed Application for Admission
- Professional resume
- Statement of Intent
- Official transcripts from schools previously attended
- GPA 3.0 d(on a 4.0 scale)
- TOEFL, STEP, and IELTS scores prove English proficiency for students whose first language is not English.
- 3 Letters of Reference – with at least one coming from the applicant’s manager or supervisor
- Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score.
The University of Scranton’s Master of Science in Finance program aims to develop its students into excellent financial professionals and instill in them the importance of working for the benefit of clients and society.
Managed by Jesuits, the school’s programs are designed to abide by Christian values and encourage students to master the CFA Institute’s ten areas of focus in its desire to be a part of building a trustworthy finance industry.
- Ethical and Professional Standards
- Quantitative Methods
- Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Corporate Finance
- Equity Investments
- Fixed Income
- Alternative Investments
- Portfolio Management and Wealth Planning
Getting approval for admission at the University of Scranton’s Master of Science in Finance program is an assurance of an opportunity to learn from the best in the industry. Their mentorship will help you develop the skills you’ll need to stand out in a competitive and demanding industry.
Jason Miller, the Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright for “That Championship Season” and the actor who portrayed Father Damian in “The Exorcist,” was a student at the University of Scranton.
University of Houston – Clear Lake
The University of Houston Clear Lake’s Online Master of Science degree program is an affordable solution for advancing in or switching to a career in finance. A combination of quality and convenience, the master of science in finance at UHCL is accredited by the prestigious Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
To qualify for admission to UHCL’s Master of Science in Finance degree program, you need to comply with the following requirements:
- Complete the application online and pay the application fee
- Submit these supporting documents:
- Official transcripts from colleges or universities you have attended.
- Official GMAT, GRE, or MAT scores sent directly from the testing agency
- Proof of English proficiency – for students whose first language is not English. You can comply with this requirement by submitting results of TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, or ELS. The minimum acceptable scores are:
- 550 for the paper-based TOEFL exam
- 79 for the TOEFL (iBT) exam
- 6.0 for the IELTS exam
- 53 for the PTE exam, or
- By completing level 112 of the ELS
Important note: Your test scores should not be more than two years old and transmitted directly to UHCL by the testing center.
The Master of Science in Finance at the University of Houston – Clear Lake is the most affordable program in Houston and many other states. It allows you to develop competitive skills in financial planning, money management, corporate finance, real estate investment, and a lot more.
The University of Houston – Clear Lake has successfully produced 73,000 alumni leaders in their respective fields. Among them are ten astronauts, one best-selling author, and over 400 CEOs.
Texas A&M University-Commerce
The Texas A&M University-Commerce’s Master of Science in Finance program is designed to develop you into an expert in financial economics. It aims to give you the ability to spot opportunities, evaluate identified risks, and perform a seamless financial analysis to make the best business decisions.
If you desire to pursue a master’s degree in finance at Texas A&M University-Commerce, you need to comply with these requirements:
- Submit an online application and pay an application fee of $50
- Submit/upload supporting documents:
- Official transcripts from other colleges you’ve previously attended
- Recommendation letter from a professional
- A 500-word personal statement describing your academic interests, professional goals, and your preparation for graduate work.
- Resume or curriculum vitae (CV) establishing your academic background, professional history, and achievements
Texas A&M University-Commerce focuses on giving master of finance students a solid understanding of the theories and principles of finance and teaching them to apply these theories to real-world financial problems. This should make you ready to face the financial and economic challenges of today and the years ahead.
The master of finance program at Texas A&M University-Commerce is also designed to offer flexibility to meet the needs of working professionals. The university opened its master’s degree in finance program to create a balance in your working, student, and family life and allow you to shape your future via a rewarding career.
More than 95 percent of TGexas A&M University-Commerce’s 2006 graduates are employed because of their knowledge, skills, and ability to solve real-world problems.
How To Identify a Promising Master of Finance Degree Program
All master of finance degree programs guarantee a certificate, but not all can give the same level of learning, student experience, and recognition from business and government institutions.
When choosing a master of finance program, look for a school accredited regionally and recognized by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). It will serve as your guarantee that your degree will be trusted by employers when you apply for work and recognized by other schools when you transfer. Establish a solid foundation for yourself in your pursuit of a promising career ahead!
On top of the school’s accreditation, you must also look for attributes that can help you hone your academic strengths and realize your professional objectives. You’ll be able to identify these qualities by knowing if the school you have in mind can offer these important aspects that play an important role in the success of their students:
1. Faculty Support
The school’s faculty and administration support are indispensable to earning a master’s degree, whatever learning course you are enrolled in. Professors should be primarily responsible for providing course materials and helping students navigate through their educational journey. The school’s faculty should help to make their students ready for career opportunities ahead.
2. Student-Centered Online Learning Experience
When looking for an online Master’s of Finance degree program, find one that can offer flexibility, and location independence and allow you to study at your own pace. You will find these beneficial, especially if you have a full-time job or a family to take care of.
The advanced technology of information and communication has allowed students to take online master’s degree programs. This has set many people free from the hassles of working from 9 to 5 and taking night classes simultaneously or two years off from work to focus on their master’s degree. With the new online educational technology, professionals like you can now work and study to pursue better career opportunities.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Job Outlook for Graduates of Master of Finance Degrees?
In the financial sector, the Bureau of Labor Statistics speaks of a possible spike in the employment rate for financial managers from 2022 to 2032. The predicted 16% growth translates to about 126,600 additional jobs for finance professionals in the market. A master’s degree in finance will qualify you for lucrative financial management positions that can assure you of an annual median salary of $139,790 or more.
Two of the most sought-after jobs in financial institutions and other types of industries are financial managers or financial analysts, as these positions are needed in almost every business establishment, in the government, and in not-for-profit organizations.
What is an Online Master of Finance Degree Program?
An online master’s in finance is a post-bachelor program that is offered through distance learning. Professors conduct their classes through computers connected to the internet, and there’s no need for students to attend traditional on-campus classes.
Students who enroll in an online Master of Finance degree program can complete their degree on a flexible schedule. The program also allows students to take their classes at any time and in any place. It makes the master’s degree in finance more attainable, especially for students tied to responsibilities like family or a job.
An online master’s in finance degree is no different from the traditional program offered on campus. It does provide students with the post-graduate education they need to advance their careers in finance.
As a student in the master’s in finance program, you will develop skills that are highly needed in evaluating financial information, making financial decisions, assessing portfolios, and managing financial risks. The program will teach you sound financial strategies you can apply for your or your employer’s business smooth sailing.
What’s the Difference between Master of Finance and MBA in Finance Degree Programs?
While both degree programs share the term ‘finance’ between them, they are not the same. In an MBA in Finance degree program, students develop skill sets and gain knowledge about multiple business aspects, while the Master of Finance degree program is focused more on finance courses. A master of finance degree is ideal for people who want a finance-specific career, such as needed for Financial Managers.
What Can I Do With a Master’s in Finance Degree?
The finance sector has created many occupations to help individuals, organizations, and companies monitor, manage, and spend their money.
Financial managers understand the market and have strong analytical skills to give their clients the information to make sound business and financial decisions. Here’s a list of jobs you’ll be qualified to do with a master’s degree in finance:
- Accountant – This career choice is for the efficient and systematic review of a company or organization’s financial records, monitoring a company’s revenues and costs and recommending changes if necessary to increase profitability.
- Budget Analyst – This is the professional whose responsibilities will include reviewing budget proposals, advising senior management executives on budget planning, and seeing that these proposals conform to state and federal regulations.
- Financial Analyst – They assess the financial statements of a company to determine its financial value. This professional is responsible for providing top management with insights into the company’s financial status.
- Market Research Analyst – They examine buyer behavior to be able to create a sales and marketing trends forecast. They’re responsible for making surveys to gauge consumer interest and monitor competitor marketing practices to find ways to stand out in the market.
- Financial-related careers are on the rise and offer job security. With positive job growth over the next ten years, now is the time to earn your Master’s of Finance degree.
- Online Master’s in Finance degree programs are the way to go for the busy working professional.
- Career advancement positions to consider are available in financial management, risk management, portfolio management, financial modeling, investment management, capital budgeting, asset management, wealth management, or as a certified financial planner, and much more!
- Financial management skills provide a lucrative career, as well as personal skills that are helpful in everyday life to secure your own financial success.
- The finance curriculum includes corporate finance, risk management, portfolio management, financial data, financial statement analysis, advanced general accounting, and more.
- If you are considering a future job promotion in management, earn an online Master’s in Finance degree today! Most career advancement positions within financial institutions require this additional accolade for their Financial Managers.