Applied Finance deals with business-related concepts and integrates the structure of applications and methods of determining and resolving issues in the industry. With an Online Master’s of Applied Finance degree, students become part of a reputable program accepted globally in the financial services sector.
Whether or not students have a Finance or Business background, online graduate programs in Applied Finance are suitable for those deeply interested in the financial industry.
Most who desire an online Master’s degree in Applied Finance already have a genuine interest in the field. Perhaps they already have carved out a promising career but are looking for advancement positions. There are so many job opportunities to consider with this degree choice. The job outlook is positive and the salary possibilities look good, too!
Career Outlook and Salary
When it comes to Online Master’s of Applied Finance, career opportunities are abundant after completing the program.
Graduates can either pursue lucrative positions as financial consultants, stockbrokers, investment bankers, and financial analysts.
Most finance-related careers have a promising employment outlook and above-average salaries. The annual median pay of a financial analyst is $95,570.
The employment outlook is 9%, a faster than average figure compared to other occupations in the U.S. between 2021 and 2031.
Choosing the most suitable Master’s in Advanced Study program and school for you can be a tough decision. Knowing what to look for helps you take that crucial step successfully.
GradSchoolCenter.com is here to help! We compiled The 10 Best Online Master’s of Applied Science Graduate Schools–all of which offer impressive program features:
- Students can opt for synchronous, asynchronous, or hybrid online learning for maximum convenience,
- A comprehensive Master’s of Advanced Finance program featuring theory and application to numerous disciplines,
- Board-certified online faculty that may or may not be on-campus instructors,
- Offers students virtual learning tools and resources accessible via a top-rated online learning platform,
- Provides eligible Master’s of Applied Finance students with different financial aid options,
- Fully accredited by academic agencies and organizations.
10 Best Online Master’s of Advanced Finance Graduate Schools
Indiana University Bloomington
: 107 S. Indiana Avenue, Bloomington IN 47405-7000
Online Master of Science in Finance
Indiana University has one of the biggest student communities worldwide, with nine campus locations, more than 930 academic programs, and is home to 90,700+ students. Suppose you want to become part of the 725,000+ alumni and counting, I.U. offers different areas of study aligned with students’ interests.
- Completing an Online Master of Science in Finance at I.U. requires 30 credits.
- To enroll, applicants must submit official transcripts, GMAT/GRE scores, three letters of recommendation, a resume, a personal statement, and an undergraduate degree.
- Both in-state and out-of-state students have similar per-credit tuition for I.U.’s Master of Science in Finance program.
- While pursuing the online M.S. in Finance program, students have the option to add an MBA degree.
- Students can add general management courses to their current portfolio in 66 credit hours for the dual degree option.
Standout Features of the Indiana University Bloomington’s Online Master of Science in Finance Program:
As mentioned, Indiana University Bloomington’s Online Master of Science in Finance program offers a dual degree option for interested students. Instead of completing 84 credit hours for two separate degrees, the dual degree M.S. in Finance and MBA option only requires 66 credit hours.
The Kelley School of Business – Indiana University has a prominent reputation for producing top graduates, making it one of many job recruiters’ best options. Aside from that, it is also the U.S.’s 2nd leading producer of chief financial officers with 14 alumni in the Fortune 500 companies.
: 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette IN 47907
Online Master of Science In Finance
Headquartered in Indiana, Purdue University is a public, not-for-profit institution of higher learning committed to providing innovative and word-class education for working adults through Purdue Global.
- Purdue Global’s Online Master of Science in Finance program requires 56 credit hours, consisting of 40 core credit hours and 16 major credit hours.
- Each course has 6-week terms, with students spending 20 hours per week accomplishing courses.
- The Online Master of Science (MS) in Finance program has two concentrations: Financial Planning and Financial Analysis.
- Depending on the selected concentration, graduates can qualify to sit for the CFP® and CFA® examinations.
- Purdue’s business programs, including the Finance program, have received accreditation from the
Standout Features of Purdue University’s Online Master of Science In Finance Program:
The Online Master of Science (MS) in Finance program offered by Purdue University helps prepare students to sit for the CFP® or CFA® exams. For the Financial Analysis concentration, graduates can be qualified to sit for the Chartered Financial Analyst® examination.
On the contrary, the CFP certification can be accomplished by students pursuing the Financial Planning concentration of Purdue Global’s Online Master of Science in Finance program.
Pursuing an online program at Purdue Global provides prospective students with the opportunity to take advantage of its 3-week trial period. Students will evaluate whether the online learning experience at Purdue University is the perfect fit for them through the trial period. Besides that, Purdue University is one of the prestigious research universities worldwide that has received recognition from different organizations, such as Times Higher Education and The Wall Street Journal.
University of Houston-Clear Lake
: 2700 Bay Area Boulevard, Houston TX 77058
Online Master of Science in Finance
Nestled in a beautiful and safe 524-acre campus, the University of Houston-Clear Lake is part of the University of Houston System that offers 90+ undergraduate and graduate programs for traditional and distance learners. It is home to four major colleges, such as the College of Science and Engineering, College of Human Sciences and Humanities, College of Education, and College of Business.
- UHCL’s Online Master of Science in Finance program is offered through the College of Business.
- The university’s College of Business is one of the prominent universities that has garnered accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
- To graduate, students must complete 30 credit hours to complete the standard Online Master of Science in Finance program.
- The online program offers a Healthcare Administration concentration, requiring students to complete 36 credits hours for graduation.
- Given that students will take two courses per semester during the fall, spring, and summer terms, they can graduate within 18 months.
Standout Features of the University of Houston-Clear Lake’s Online Master of Science in Finance Program:
UHCL’s Online Master of Science in Finance program is the most inexpensive graduate program in Finance around Houston. Graduate students enjoy a tuition and fee break by completing more courses each semester.
The College of Business – University of Houston-Clear Lake has received numerous recognitions from different organizations, including the U.S. News & World Report, Niche, and College Consensus. Aside from that, only 1% of the world’s business schools have garnered a separate business and separate accounting accreditation from the AACSB, and UHCL is proud to be one of them.
: 37th and O Streets, N.W., Washington D.C. 20057
: (866) 531-4825
Online Master of Science in Finance
Georgetown University is one of the country’s leading research and academic institutions. It is nationally recognized for high-quality education and provides students with an innovative academic experience. With 220+ years of academic excellence, Georgetown University is renowned for its commitment to public service and integration with the D.C. thriving community.
- The Online MS in Finance at Georgetown University is offered through the award-winning McDonough School of Business.
- The program can be completed once students have at least 32 credit hours.
- For full-time students, they will also accomplish the MSF clinic course and two additional elective courses.
- The Online MS in Finance program has six core required courses, two electives, two advanced courses, and two residency programs. The residency programs include a 7-day Opening Residency and the Global Consulting Project.
- Georgetown’s Online Master of Science in Finance is available in a blended format, providing students with the opportunity to pursue part-time or full-time learning.
Standout Features of the Georgetown University’s Online Master of Science in Finance Program:
The Online Master of Science (MS) in Finance at Georgetown University features the MSFLive, a weekly culmination of each online course. With MSFLive, students participate in a 90-minute evening session regarding a case discussion with colleagues and professors.
Students also access the university’s Anytime Media platform, allowing students to access its prime feature, i.e., the Professor Presentations. Through the Professor Presentations, students access a series of high-quality videos where professors communicate directly with distance learners using a virtual dashboard.
Georgetown University has produced many notable alumni, including former U.S. president Bill Clinton, actor Bradley Cooper, and former Philippine president Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. Aside from that, the McDonough School of Business also receives several honorable rankings and accreditations from different institutions, such as the Financial Times, Poets and Quants, and the U.S. News & World Report.
: 470 East Lockwood Avenue St. Louis, Missouri 63119
: (800) 981-9801
Online Master of Science in Finance
Founded by the Sisters of Loretto, Webster University opened its doors: is a private, non-profit institution of higher learning in Missouri. The university is dedicated to providing high-quality education that transforms students for individual excellence and global citizenship. It is home to 12,000+ students across 50 locations, including international, military, metro, and residential.
- Webster’s Online Master of Science in Finance requires the accomplishment of 36 credit hours, consisting of 30-credit hour core courses and 6-credit hour electives.
- Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree in a business field of study, with a program accredited by AMBA, EQUIS, IACBE, AACSB, and ACBSP.
- Prerequisite courses must be completed for applicants who don’t meet the Online MS in Finance program’s standard minimum requirements.
- Students interested in passing advanced certifications must accomplish courses in Portfolio Management, Advanced Investments, Financial Statement Analysis, and Derivatives to become eligible to sit for the CFP and CFA examinations.
- The Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs has accredited Webster’s Online MS in Finance program.
Standout Features of the Webster University’s Online Master of Science in Finance Program:
Webster University offers a dual-degree option, such as the MBA/MS in Finance program. Upon the accomplishment of all required credits, two separate diplomas are granted simultaneously. As a result, students are equipped with a degree that helps them pursue more diverse career opportunities.
To graduate with an MBA/MS dual degree, students must have 54 to 57 credit hours to complete the program.
Webster University has been recognized as a “Voter-Friendly Campus” for the 2021 to 2022 period for the third time. Despite the global pandemic, the university has significantly impacted the turnout of student voters in 2020. The NASPA – Student Affairs Administrators facilitated the initiative in Higher Education and Campus Vote Project.
: 2500 California Plaza Omaha NE 68178
: 402 280 2700
Located in Nebraska, Creighton University provides its student community with a high-quality education in an 11:1 student-to-faculty ratio. That said, the ratio ensures that mentors and instructors are available to students requiring guidance and support to succeed in their studies.
Considered one of the 27 Jesuit schools in the country, Creighton University was founded in 1878.
- Creighton University’s Online Master of Finance program has rolling admissions. Available start dates of classes include August, October, January, March, and June.
- Applicants must submit official transcripts, CV/resume, personal statement, two letters of recommendation, and GMAT scores to be considered for enrollment.
- Students are required to have a bachelor’s degree before enrolling in the Online Master of Finance program.
- The 33-credit-hour online graduate program can be accomplished in as few as 24 months.
- The Online Master of Finance program is taught by the university’s Heider College of Business.
Standout Features of Creighton University’s Online Master of Finance Program:
The Online Master of Finance can be combined with a Master of Business Administration as a dual degree option. That said, students can obtain two graduate degrees in an accelerated format. Instead of completing 66 credit hours, they must only accomplish 48 credit hours. The dual degree program can be completed within three years.
Creighton University is ranked as the #1 university in the Midwest for 16 consecutive years. As a result, the university is now recognized as one of the best colleges in the U.S. by the U.S. News & World Report. Aside from that, Creighton’s online graduate and business programs have also been ranked among the top 20 universities and listed in publications, such as Kiplinger’s Personal Finance and The Princeton Review.
West Texas A&M University
: Canyon, TX 79016
: 806 651 0000
Online Master of Science (MS) in Finance and Economics
West Texas A&M University is situated on a 176-acre lush plantation of foliage and trees, where numerous community members and students take a stroll and share a leisurely activity with families and pets. Within the campus lies many venues for hosting various activities for students and visitors, such as the Virgil Henson Activities Center and the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum.
- WTAMU’s Online Master of Science (MS) in Finance and Economics program is offered through the Paul and Virginia Engler College of Business.
- The online MSFE program is open to students with a 4-year bachelor’s degree in any study area.
- For completion of the program, students must have 36 to 45 credit hours.
- Although the online MSFE program can be completed within 24 months, adult professionals have six years to accomplish their degrees.
- As a culminating requirement, graduate students must pass a comprehensive exam to earn their MSFE degree.
Standout Features of West Texas A&M University’s Online Master of Science in Finance and Economics Program:
West Texas A&M University’s Paul and Virginia Engler College of Business has been accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business and ABET. Fewer than 40 business schools have received both ABET and AACSB accreditations. That said, graduates are guaranteed to have a solid educational foundation and become efficient leaders in their respective industries.
Since 2013, West Texas A&M University is a consistent school in numerous prestigious listings regarding the best online MBA and MSFE rankings. Some of the reputable rankings are from The Princeton Revie, The Financial Engineer Times, U.S. News & World Report, and Intelligent.
Golden Gate University
: 536 Mission Street, San Francisco CA 94105
: 415 442 7800
Online Master of Science in Finance
Strategically based in the heart of San Francisco’s Financial District, Golden Gate University offers internship and networking opportunities through GGU’s 70,000-strong alumni network and relationships within the local financial community.
For over 100 years, Golden Gate University is one of California’s oldest universities that has helped adults achieve their professional aspirations by offering undergraduate and graduate studies in Business, Taxation, Law, and Accounting.
- Completing an Online Master of Science in Finance degree requires 30 credit hours for graduation.
- GGU’s Online Master of Science in Finance program has been certified by the Chartered Financial Analyst Institute as a University Affiliation Program.
- The program requires completing six units in the foundation program and 30 units of advanced program courses.
- The Online Master of Science or MS in Finance course consists of three-semester credit units unless otherwise indicated.
- Students may their degrees online, in-person, or in a hybrid learning format.
Standout Features of Golden Gate University’s Online Master of Science in Finance Program:
GGU’s Online Master of Science in Finance program has been certified by the Chartered Financial Analyst Institute as a University Affiliation Program. The membership provides graduates with a reputation that the curriculum is closely aligned with financial management practices and helps prepare students for the CFA examinations.
With a thriving international community, students can join peers from 34 countries in San Francisco. The university provides help with Visa processing and paperwork as well as housing information. Building from its vibrant and rich history, the university has been a part of the San Francisco Bay Area community for more than 100 years.
: 360 Huntington Avenue, Boston MA 02115
: 617 373 2000
Online Master of Science in Finance
Northeastern University has nine interdisciplinary research institutes primarily focused on global issues in sustainability, security, and health. The university has more than 2,900 corporate partners globally and 2,000 employers in the global Experiential Network, offering graduate students the guidance and help they need for their professional goals.
- The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business has accredited Northeastern University’s Online Master of Science in Finance program.
- Students pursuing this online graduate program can choose from two concentrations, namely Investment Finance and Corporate Finance.
- The online MSF program can be earned within 16 months, even while working a full-time job.
- Northeastern offers six start dates per academic year – two start dates each in the spring, summer, and fall semesters.
- As a prerequisite requirement, applicants must be currently employed with a minimum of five years of leadership experience in a professional or work setting.
Standout Features of the Northeastern University’s Online Master of Science in Finance Program:
Northeastern University’s Online Master of Science (MS) in Finance program can be combined with an online MBA so students can have a dual degree option. Aside from that, Northeastern’s online graduate program in Finance includes a Global Experience in the form of an International Field Study course.
Through the International Field Study course, students will have intense exposure to the global business setting by immersing themselves in a country’s culture and business practices outside the U.S. The course is taught primarily in the country of interest, integrating cultural activities, company site visits, and a mix of classes into the discussion.
Northeastern University’s D’Amore-McKim School of Business is a global leader in front-line business studies, making students’ online MSF program at Northeastern a worthy investment. It was the product of Richard D’Amore and Alan McKim’s $60M joint effort, the largest philanthropic investment in Northeastern’s history.
: 881 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston MA 02215
: 617 353 3612
Online Master of Science in Financial Management
Boston University offers several award-winning online programs through a unique collaboration between the university’s Distance Education office and faculty members of different schools and colleges within the university system. Through B.U.’s Extended Education initiative, the university provides students with a high-quality and innovative education.
- B.U.’s Online Master of Science in Financial Management comprises ten required online courses.
- Students must accomplish four core required courses, four specialization courses, and two general electives.
- To enroll, applicants must submit a completed application form and application fee, college transcripts, CV/resume, personal statement, and three letters of recommendation. For international students, an official English proficiency exam result is required.
- 40 credits are required for completion of the online MSFM program.
- Students can choose from two concentrations – Investment Analysis or International Finance.
Standout Features of Boston University’s Online Master of Science in Financial Management Program:
Boston University is a member of the University Affiliation Program of the CFA Institute. That said, the online MSFM’s curriculum is aligned with the CFA® Program Candidate Body of Knowledge and the Standards of Practice Handbook, providing students with the necessary preparation for the Chartered Financial Analyst® Program examinations.
Whether on-campus or through distance learning, Boston University’s programs showcase high educational standards! The university ranks #42 in the United States’ Best Colleges and #57 among the Best Global Universities, says the U.S. News & World Report. Its Office of Distance Education is proactive in the distance learning community and has memberships in the US Distance Learning Association, The Online Learning Consortium, and the University Professional & Continuing Education Association.
Get Involved With Like-Minded Professionals
Finance professional organizations help professionals and students advance in their professions and build their professional networks. Many professional organizations facilitate workshops, networking events, conferences as well as continuing education and certification opportunities.
Aside from that, they also offer career services, scholarship programs, and up-to-date research for reference. Here are some of the professional finance organizations readily available for students and professionals.
Association for Financial Professionals
The Association for Financial Professionals (AFP) is a professional organization associated with the Treasury and Finance industries. AFP offers numerous professional certifications for finance graduates. Other membership perks include access to virtual roundtables, networking opportunities, on-demand training, exclusive career resources and tools, and a virtual community.
CFA Institute aims to lead the global investment career by advocating professional excellence and high standards of education and ethics. The organization facilitates the Certificate in Investment Performance Measurement credential and the Chartered Financial Analyst examination.
To become a member, individuals must have professional references and eligible work experience. Membership benefits include professional earning opportunities, exclusive career tools and services, current research, journals, and publications on the investment management sector.
National Association of Personal Financial Advisors
The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA) is the country’s leading financial advisors organization working without charging fees. NAPFA sets high standards as well as advocates objective and independent financial advice for families and individuals. As a member, you can enjoy exclusive access to virtual discussions, webinars, and podcasts.
Society of Financial Service Professionals
The Society of Financial Service Professionals includes members with diverse finance-related professions, such as financial advisors, insurance experts, accountants, and attorneys. Being a member of the Society of Financial Service Professionals helps you access exclusive educational programs, business resources and tools, and professional networks.
The organization is responsible for publishing content for the Journal of Financial Service Professionals. Aside from that, the FPS also facilitates in-person and virtual events.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the standard admission requirements for an Online Masters of Applied Finance program?
Students pursuing an Online Master of Applied Finance program must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Aside from that, some schools require the submission of GPAs and official test scores.
Applicants who don’t meet the standard minimum requirements for test scores and GPAs can qualify for conditional admission depending on other factors of the school’s admission process. Students may also have to submit letters of recommendation, statements of purpose, resume/CV, and college transcripts.
Enrolled students in an Online Master of Applied Finance program must accomplish coursework and a capstone project. The capstone requirement may be completed with a thesis or an internship program. The majority of applied finance programs require graduate students to maintain the standard minimum GPA.
What can I do with an Online Masters of Applied Finance program?
Many individuals with a graduate degree in Applied Finance often start their careers as financial analysts. It is an excellent entry-level role with numerous finance companies, providing them with an overview of what it’s like in the finance sector before pursuing career opportunities with more responsibilities.
As graduates gain more responsibilities, they can pursue careers as personal financial advisors or financial managers. There are varieties of career opportunities you can explore with a Master of Applied Finance degree.
Some graduates pursue employment in private sectors, while others work in different government sectors. The finance sector is also booming; hence, it’s one of the best graduate programs to pursue nowadays.
What’s the difference between an Online MBA with a concentration in Finance vs. an Online Masters of Applied Finance program?
Both Online MBA in Finance and Masters of Applied Finance programs provide graduates training and education for lucrative careers in the finance sector. However, a graduate program in Applied Finance is more specialized, while the MBA program is a more generalized study of Finance.
An Online MBA with a Finance concentration includes a minimal emphasis on Finance while learning broader subjects that discuss organizational management, managerial practices, business administration, and other fundamental aspects.
On the contrary, an Online Master’s of Applied Finance focuses primarily on Finance, studying in-depth knowledge, proficiencies, and methodologies to succeed in finance-related careers.
Will companies trust the credibility of an Online Masters of Applied Finance program?
If you’re planning to pursue an Online Masters of Applied Finance program, you may be skeptical about whether your future employers will trust the credibility of an online program. While most companies and businesses may not have accepted an online degree in the past, it’s no longer the case nowadays.
Like most areas of discipline, an Online Masters of Applied Finance program is becoming more and more popular. Nowadays, companies and businesses already know that an online graduate degree in Applied Finance can provide students with the same quality of education they’d expect from traditional learning.
When you’re completing an online graduate program in Applied Finance while also working a full-time career, potential employers will be impressed and commend your capacity to manage your schedule and obligations. Pursuing a graduate degree while working a full-time job is challenging; however, your efforts will pay off in your future endeavors.
- Are you into the numbers game? If so, pursue an online Master’s of Applied Finance degree today!
- With a very versatile degree such as the Master’s of Applied Finance, you can obtain management positions in a wide variety of accounting-related fields.
- Do you need an online learning format? Great!… The above programs offer a program to fit your busy lifestyle.