Taxation is a significant part of functioning societies. Students interested in expanding their basic taxation knowledge beyond what an undergraduate course in taxation can offer may want to consider earning a master’s of science in taxation program. This will solidify your learning foundation in taxation, drawing from key areas such as economy, politics, legislation, public administration, and international business.
As tax professionals, you will be able to help shape important business decisions by providing financial guidance and counseling.
A master’s in taxation program is often offered as a concentration track in graduate degrees, including commerce, accounting, law, or business administration. There are universities that offer it as a joint degree along with other disciplines such as international business and management, legal studies, and finance.
These days, many universities offer a master’s in taxation program online, allowing you the opportunity to further your education while pursuing your career.
An Online Master’s in Taxation degree program will give you practical skills that you can apply to real-world taxation situations. Many universities offer the degree online, making it quite accessible to working professionals. In a master’s in taxation online program, you will learn about the different access of advanced tax preparation, including client representation, tax issues, ethics, and IRS practices.
The 10 Online Masters of Taxation Graduate Schools that made it to our list of the best online programs share these salient features that reflect overall academic excellence:
- The Master’s of Taxation programs are delivered 100% online or partially online (blended or hybrid), emphasizing the need for in-person attendance to complete some coursework requirements.
- Each program features extensively the theories, as well as the application of those theories, in the broad and specialized areas of taxation, readying students for professional practice or qualifying them for advanced positions in the professional setting.
- The program’s online faculty consists of highly reputable and experienced taxation experts.
- The Online Master’s of Taxation programs utilize a top-rated learning management system and students gain access to a wide array of virtually available learning resources.
- Graduate students of the program get options for funding their education thru a range of financial assistance options.
- The programs are properly accredited.
See our Methodology page for more information.
Online Master’s of Science Degree Programs in Taxation
William Howard Taft University
Offered under the School of Government and Law, the Master of Science in Taxation at William Howard Taft University is specially designed for certified public accountants, enrolled agents, and other tax professionals.
With an emphasis on the current information integral to performing tax planning activities, the program makes use of the same reference materials from the offices of tax professionals.
You can gain conceptual understanding and technical competence to help you advance your career in the tax consulting profession. It is also quite useful if you work in corporate finance departments and government tax agencies.
- The Master of Science in Taxation can be earned completely online, which means you are not required to attend classroom lectures or seminars.
- Thirty credits must be reached to complete the program, while a maximum of 15 credits are needed if you have previously completed coursework from another school.
- It is imperative that you complete all the foundational courses before you can begin the elective courses. This includes Tax Research Techniques, Federal Income Tax Aspects of Organizing and Operating Corporations, Taxation of Partnerships, and IRS Practice and Procedure.
- The elective courses include the following: Federal Income Taxation of Individuals, Fundamentals of International Taxation, Estate Taxation & Planning, and Taxation of Real Estate, among others.
- The university recommends awarding 15 credit hours for each semester unit completed in accordance with the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) Statement on Standards for Continuing Education (CPE) Programs.
- The grade report that reflects the completion of the course is enough documentation, but an official transcript will be provided for free if requested by the accountancy board.
Standout Features of William Howard Taft University’s Master of Science in Taxation Program:
The program is offered in the Independent Study modality which allows for flexibility around your career and lifestyle.
You are given 8 weeks to complete each course and work on them independently, albeit with support from a faculty mentor. You can either accelerate or extend the program completion, as long as it is within the university guidelines.
Even better, the university offers an installment option for the tuition, interest-free. This means you can just make a 30% down payment upfront each semester and pay the remaining tuition cost in the next three months.
Did You Know?
William Howard Taft University has been at the forefront of distance learning graduate degree programs for decades. Most of their undergraduate and graduate degree programs are nationally accredited and revolve around the field of education, law, and government.
The first continuing education program they offered was for certified public accountants in 1976, which eventually evolved into a respected nationally accredited distance learning program.
Portland State University
If you are aiming to acquire advanced knowledge and expertise in tax, then the Master of Taxation program offered by Portland State University is a good choice.
The program was co-developed with the Pacific Northwest’s top public accountants and corporate taxation specialists. This degree program, with its specialized tax education coursework, is highly valued by employers.
- Offered by PSU’s nationally ranked School of Business, the program can take 12 months to complete if you are enrolled full-time and 24 months if you are enrolled part-time.
- The degree has synchronous components that ensure you are on the right track as you earn the program online.
- This master’s in taxation online program requires 45 credits to be completed.
- It has multiple term starts, including summer and fall.
- The Master of Taxation program is among the nation’s best online business programs as listed by the U.S. News and World Report.
- This master’s in taxation online program has an elite dual accreditation in accounting and business from AACSB.
Standout Features of Portland State University – Online Master of Taxation Program:
This graduate degree program is useful for undergraduate accounting majors who need to complete the fifth year of study in order to qualify for the Certified Public Accountant exam.
The program’s online format means that it is quite accessible to working tax practitioners and other professionals with full-time jobs. With a strong focus on critical thinking, research skills, technical tax knowledge, and business communication, the degree can set your foundation for future success.
Did You Know?
Portland State University has full accreditation from the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
It belongs in the top 1% of business schools in the world to have earned an accredited status from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the elite business school accreditation recognized globally.
University of Cincinnati
The University of Cincinnati offers a top-ranked Master of Taxation program with both practical and interactive coursework.
It is specifically designed for individuals, small businesses, or large corporations, preparing you for a rewarding career as a professional tax advisor. Students gain a comprehensive and specialized understanding of the complex tax laws that apply to any size firm.
- The Master of Science in Taxation – The University of Cincinnati is taught by an award-winning faculty, including Certified Public Accountants, lawyers, academics, tax experts, and other professionals with Fortune 500 and international accounting experience.
- You will complete professional research featuring a variety of tax topics.
- You have the chance to take on a challenging series of courses like the Capstone Course which can help develop your research skills, allowing you to showcase a mastery of tax research and technical knowledge acquired throughout the program.
- The master’s degree program in taxation can earn you the credits needed for the Certified Public Accountant exam.
- The program is 100% online with no GMAT requirement. It offers multiple start dates and can be completed within one year.
Standout Features of University of Cincinnati’s Online Master of Science in Taxation Program:
The online master’s degree in taxation at the University of Cincinnati was ranked number 21 by the U.S. News and World Report in 2021. It is known to offer asynchronous classes, meaning you can log on anytime 24/7, and complete your coursework at your own pace.
Did You Know?
Known to provide high-quality, online academic programs, the University of Cincinnati takes innovation seriously in its mission. They were one of the first academic institutions to offer online courses.
Eventually, they expanded their online learning offering to online degree programs. To date, you can choose among nearly 100-degree programs, from undergraduate to doctoral.
The D’Amore-McKim School of Business at Northeastern University offers an online master of science in taxation program.
Designed to sharpen your knowledge and skills as tax professionals, this program can help you stand out from the competition.
You will be analyzing complex tax statures, regulations, and related cases and rulings, all the while interacting with experienced faculty whose expertise came from decades of industry experience.
- The online program is available part-time and can be completed in just 16 months.
- You are expected to develop a contextual understanding of tax planning and compliance that you can readily apply in the real world.
- The program is kept in small class sizes to ensure personal and equal attention from the instructor.
- You can choose among six start dates every year, with two each in the spring, summer, and fall.
- You can find financial planning courses within this program.
Standout Features of Northeastern University’s Online Master of Science in Taxation Program:
The online program allows you to choose between two tracks, Taxation of Entities or Taxation of Individuals. Since it is fully available online, you can enjoy the convenience, flexibility, and 24/7 support it offers.
Plus, you can leverage the program’s focus on professional experience as it does not require the GRE/GMAT for admissions.
Did You Know?
Northeastern University has a demonstrated commitment to experiential learning opportunities across 148 countries. It is also at the forefront of research, with $181.1 million in external research awards in the academic year 2020 to 2021.
Florida Atlantic University
The Master of Taxation offered by Florida Atlantic University is designed with busy tax professionals in mind.
It is fully available online, allowing working adults to complete the coursework at their own pace through its flexible, asynchronous schedule. You can have the convenience and flexibility as you pursue your graduate education in taxation.
The degree program can be earned in just over two years or equivalent to seven semesters.
You can complete the program through web-based distance learning without being required classroom attendance. Lectures are often streamed live over the internet on a variety of devices, which makes them pretty accessible wherever you are.
You can learn from a faculty of academic and practitioner experts, integrating academic research with real-life practice. There is a collaborative setting between instructors and practitioners as they design and teach the taxation courses.
Standout Features of Florida Atlantic University’s Online Master of Taxation Program:
During hectic tax seasons, no courses are offered, allowing you to maintain a quality professional and personal life.
Did You Know?
Having served more than 30,000 students, both graduate and undergraduate, across six campuses, Florida Atlantic University constantly makes it on top of public university rankings.
It is also recognized as a diverse public university where African-American, Hispanics, Pell-eligible, and first-generation students are given equal educational opportunities.
Golden Gate University
With a strong focus on real-world skills, the Master of Science in Taxation offered by Golden Gate University can empower you to become a distinguished and expert tax professional. It is one of the top choices of many “big four” accounting firms when it comes to updating tax education and hiring fresh graduates.
With a faculty experienced in their field tasked with the course instruction, you will be in good hands.
- The program is delivered in a variety of formats, including on-campus instruction, online, and hybrid.
- You will be able to cover courses ranging from estate and gift tax, partnerships, corporations, and multi-state tax to international tax, retirement plans, tax research, and tax issues for individuals. The online format can be self-paced and allows you to opt for an accelerated cohort format.
- You will be able to gain comprehensive knowledge and understanding of advanced tax concepts, trends, and practices in an environment that promotes analytical thinking.
- It requires a total of 30 credit units in order to be completed.
Standout Features of Golden Gate University’s Online Master of Science in Taxation Program:
A distinctive feature of this online program is its emphasis on demonstrating basic knowledge and understanding of IRS practice and procedure that will allow you to represent a client in a tax controversy.
It features an internship program that accounts for up to 6 units of course credits.
Did You Know?
With over a century’s worth of history under its belt, the Golden Gate University has been helping adults attain their professional goals by offering quality undergraduate and graduate education in a variety of fields, including accounting, law, taxation, and business. It is known as one of California’s oldest private universities.
University of Southern California
Designed for fully employed tax professionals aiming to deepen their understanding of taxation and acquire research techniques in the process, the Master of Business Taxation is offered by the University of Southern California.
Students should have had at least one year of tax-related experience before getting admitted to the program.
- The program offers several learning options, including on-campus classes, online, or hybrid formats.
- The classes are kept in small sizes to ensure personalized instruction and a high-quality educational experience.
- The 10-course degree includes five required tax courses and five tax electives with a curriculum sufficient for a CPA exam.
- The program is only offered part-time and can be completed within 21 months. You also have the option of taking it at your own pace.
- You need to have a bachelor’s degree in accounting or related fields for admission. Otherwise, you will need to complete intermediate accounting.
Standout Features of University of Southern California’s Online Master of Business Taxation Program:
With a stellar track record in the field of business taxation for working professionals, this online degree program offers advanced courses in corporate tax or partnerships, along with specialized areas that include international tax, state and local tax, property taxation transactions, accounting, and auditing or income tax, family wealth preservation, and federal taxation procedure.
Did You Know?
The University of Southern California has over 48,000 students and over 4,400 full-time faculties. It is located in the heart of one of Los Angeles, one of the biggest metropolises in the world. This means graduates from this academic institution have ample opportunities for career advancement and development.
University of Denver
Offering a thorough understanding of tax law, the Master of Taxation from the University of Denver is for professionals with a background in accounting or finance. Though it has a rigorous educational standard, the program is good preparation for you to acquire superior professional competence.
- The courses offered in this program are highly sophisticated and relevant, with topics ranging from treasury regulations to the Internal Revenue Code.
- An outstanding faculty, including professionals with demonstrated experience with top local and national firms, and even the Internal Revenue Service.
- The program is offered online and in person.
- For full-time students, it can only take you one year to earn the degree. Working professionals can also opt for part-time options.
- You can avail of generous scholarships and other financial aid available.
Standout Features of University of Denver’s Online Master of Taxation Program:
As an added bonus, you can acquire high-quality video recordings of all classes you are enrolled in. This access to recordings means that you can easily keep up if ever you miss a class or have a need to review the lecture again.
Did You Know?
Since the Master of Taxation program is offered under the Sturm College of Law at the University of Denver, students can train alongside JD students in the LLM program. This will allow you cross-disciplinary experience on different aspects of tax.
Aimed to sharpen and broaden your knowledge of tax policies and procedures, the Master of Taxation offered by Villanova University is specifically geared toward tax accountants and other business professionals.
In this program, students obtain in-depth knowledge of tax policies and practices. They gain a familiarity with the intricate dynamics of tax law and other essential skills needed to stand out in practice.
- The degree program is conducted with an interdisciplinary approach of legal and business acumen as part of the university’s Graduate Tax Program.
- The degree is nationally recognized and offers cross-disciplinary expertise from an experienced faculty.
- You are not required to take an entrance exam if you are already a CPA professional.
- It is possible to earn the program fully online and complete it within two years.
- You are provided with a learning environment that fosters networking opportunities.
- There are hands-on learning opportunities that can equip you with practical taxation experience.
Standout Features of Villanova University’s Online Master of Taxation Program:
You can complete the program in a flexible and convenient online format with the guidance of distinguished scholars and leading practitioners from the Big Four accounting firms, 500 Fortune companies, and top law firms. The diverse elective offerings allow you to tailor your studies to suit your professional interests and goals.
Did You Know?
Villanova University offers a comprehensive list of degree programs across six colleges. Its intellectual tradition serves as the cornerstone of an academic community that allows students to think critically and succeed while serving others.
DePaul University is known to be one of the first academic institutions to offer an online master’s in taxation program in the country. This program is the foundation of exceptional performance and leadership in the accounting field. You can gain a structured and advanced understanding of complex tax statutes, tax regulations, and related cases and rulings.
- The program is delivered fully online at a pace that works for you. You can earn it within two to three years or go full-time to compete in a year.
- Students are known to take a quarter off during busy periods, such as the winter tax season.
- The faculty is made up of tax industry experts, which assures you of high-quality education.
- The Master of Science in Taxation degree can be completed by meeting a minimum credit hours requirement of 46 across 12 courses. Eight of these courses are required. The additional courses can be picked from a list of tax electives including Partnerships, Transactions in Property, and Accounting for Income Taxes, among others.
Standout Features of DePaul University’s Online Master of Science in Taxation Program:
About 90% of the graduates of this degree program were employed, continued their education, or pursued other goals within six months of graduation.
Did You Know?
The Kellstadt School of Business has awarded more than $3 million to incoming students in 2021. Those who pursue a master’s in Accountancy, Taxation, or Audit and Advisory Services can take advantage of the giving society of the School of Accountancy and MIS, with approximately $25k worth of annual scholarships up for grabs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I earn a Master of Science in Taxation?
A Master of Science in Taxation is an ideal choice of a graduate degree for those who are looking for a way to advance their careers, whether in the corporate or public service world.
If you are an accounting graduate, applying to a law school, or aiming to become a tax professional with specialized knowledge, then an online master’s in taxation can be your ticket to a wealth of opportunities.
It will equip you with considerable knowledge and skills on the ins and outs of taxation. It can be a solid foundation if you are pursuing advanced careers like CPAs, tax examiners and collectors, financial managers, financial analysts, and other positions in the business and finance field.
Having an online master’s in taxation can help you qualify for more specialized positions and earn a higher salary. They become assets to an organization, thanks to the high-level technical taxation skills that enable them to navigate the complex state and federal tax codes and regulations. You can even have leverage when negotiating for better compensation.
What can students expect from a Master of Science in Taxation program?
Often rooted in general accounting theory and practice, a master’s degree in taxation has a strong emphasis on specialized knowledge of tax regulations and tax law. It prepares you to enhance your career opportunities by helping companies and individuals get a better understanding of their tax obligations and compliance with the law.
A master’s in taxation program may take you two years or less to complete, depending on whether you will be earning it full-time or part-time. The curriculum for this master’s degree typically includes fundamentals of taxation, corporate taxation, tax procedure, and tax research and writing, among many others.
Some universities may not require you to have an accounting undergraduate degree. They may, however, oblige you to complete some pre-requisite foundational courses to make up for it. There are master’s in taxation programs that require relevant professional experience, so it will be good if you keep that in mind.
What is the difference between attending an online Master’s in Taxation and an on-campus program?
Many universities all over the country offer a master’s degree in taxation. The most common learning format is the traditional taxation programs that can be earned on-campus. This type of degree program is advantageous for those who prefer face-to-face learning and experience student life on campus.
A traditional master’s degree in taxation allows you to mingle with like-minded students who want to master the more advanced tax concepts and the tax planning process. You can build your professional network and take advantage of the school’s physical resources.
On the other hand, online taxation programs can be a good fit for working professionals who wish to pursue an advanced online taxation degree without compromising their careers.
This learning format can fit around your schedule, letting you juggle your studies and career development with the help of a flexible and convenient learning format. You can complete your coursework at your own pace.
Essentially, there isn’t a remarkable difference between the two learning formats. They often follow the same curriculum and coursework and are spearheaded by the same competent and experienced faculty.
How do I fund my Master’s in Taxation program?
Attending graduate school to earn a master’s degree in taxation can be quite expensive. However, there are schools that offer financial aid in various forms. There are scholarships and grants available at your disposal. It is also possible to apply for a student loan either from the federal government or private companies.
Moreover, some corporations offer employee benefits in the form of tuition assistance programs. Check with your employer and find out whether you are entitled to one. Just remember to choose collegiate schools that honor such benefits.
Usually, the arrangement is that the educational assistance program gets included in the compensation package, allowing graduate students to acquire reimbursements of tuition costs at enrollment or after the course completion.
How do I choose among the advanced collegiate schools for my online Master of Taxation program?
It is important that you pick a highly credible educational institution. This means it is accredited by proper authorities to lend credence to your degree. The business schools offering online master’s in taxation are often accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
Having proper accreditations assure you that the school of your choice meets the educational requirement for your online masters in taxation degree.
Along with the increasing complexity of taxation comes the higher demand for tax professional specialists, particularly a highly trained tax advisor, tax accountant, or tax manager. Tax students are taught in-depth and provided an extensive range of resources so they master the many facets of the field.
In particular, Master’s in Taxation online students learn about the encompassing subjects of tax theory, tax laws, tax rules, tax issues, tax compliance, tax fraud, and tax liability. They are expected to have obtained specialized knowledge in these subjects on state and local taxation as well as international tax practice and global tax planning fronts.
Typically, these topics are heavily discussed during the course of the online Master’s in Taxation program:
- federal taxation
- corporate tax
- fiduciary income taxation
- wealth tax
- income tax accounting
- real estate and estate and gift taxation
- financial products
- mergers and acquisitions
- partnership taxation
If you are looking for practical ways to expand your knowledge base and advance your skills in taxation to bolster your credentials and become qualified for executive financial positions, pursuing online programs at the master’s level in this field is your best course of action!