Find your perfect college degree
In this article, we will be covering...
In today’s global economy, being an International Business graduate means having the foundation to delve into different sectors and industries. While a bachelor’s degree in this field can lead to entry-level jobs in multinational organizations and international institutions, earning a master’s degree will enhance one’s professional portfolio, leading to better opportunities in terms of career growth and earning potential.
A Master’s in International Business provides students with core business competencies from a global perspective, often involving organizational structures, operations, and regulations. Business and financial occupations pay an average of $76,570 annually. This can potentially increase with a master’s degree.
- The Most Affordable Online Master’s In Business Administration (MBA)
- Best Grad Schools with Online Doctorate in International Business
- Best Grad Schools with Online Master’s in Business Intelligence
Many universities and colleges in the country include a master’s in international business degree in their program offerings. Some top international business schools even offer online programs in international business, which are an ideal choice for working professionals. Students can gain specialized international business knowledge that many employers value.
Quick audio summary:
Organizations conducting their business on a global scale take on a new set of needs and concerns that require specialized skills and solutions. Accordingly, students who intend to take on this task need nothing but the best preparation they can get, and they must choose the institution they plan to enroll in carefully.
We can help you with that choice! We have gathered colleges and universities that offer an online Master’s Degree in International Business, which have been selected based on the following features:
- Offers their degree primarily online, which gives students an opportunity for flexibility in completing their coursework,
- Features an International Business curriculum that covers both fundamental business knowledge as well as dedicated and advanced International Business courses, readying students for a doctorate program should they pursue it,
- Designed to prepare students with the strategic management and global leadership skills to excel in international trade,
- Taught by faculty with considerable professional experience and expertise in International Business,
- Offered by universities that are consistently recognized by independent institutions for their academic excellence, and hold the proper accreditation credentials.
Visit our Methodology page for details.
Top 10 Online Master’s in International Business Programs
University of Delaware
Established in 1743, the University of Delaware takes pride in leading research and innovation. It has always been committed to preparing students for rewarding careers in the global arena. In recent years, they have accommodated the needs of busy professionals by offering degree programs that are fully online.
- One of their online programs is the master’s in international business degree, which aims to help students globalize their careers.
- This 30-credit-hour online program has a cost per credit of $950 and can be completed within 18 months.
- The international business master’s program is offered under the renowned Alfred Lerner College of Business & Economics.
- It features a flexible curriculum and a fully online course format, including six core courses in international business, including topics such as globalization, business strategies, market research, and global business ethics, among others.
- Students are expected to learn how to handle day-to-day operations, implement successful strategies, and reference applicable public policies.
Students who want to specialize in a particular area or interest in Finance, Healthcare, or Business Fundamentals to help them meet their professional goals in this master’s program. They may select from. Some of their course options include Operations Management and Management Science, Managing People, Teams, and Organizations, Leadership and Innovation in Population Health, and Corporate Financial Management.
Did You Know?
The University of Delaware is only one of the US educational institutions with a Carnegie classification of very high research activity. Its decorated history demonstrated its commitment to quality education, having produced distinguished alumni including elected officials, business leaders, and signers of the U.S. Constitution and the Declaration of Independence.
University of Florida
The University of Florida’s Warrington College of Business currently enrolls 6,832 students across dozens of business programs. To help business students prepare for their internship and full-time jobs, the business school injects career concepts that help them stand out in the local and global marketplace.
- Designed to prepare students for occupations with a global business perspective, the Master of International Business offered by the University of Florida is for business majors who want an internationally focused-core curriculum.
- This one-year international business online program is intended for potential students with little to no professional work experience.
- While this online degree requires zero campus visits, students may need to participate in a one-week Global Immersion Experience trip.
- Students are required to complete a total of 30 credits, 14 of which are 14 core courses and 16 are elective credits.
- Some of the courses in the program include Global Trade and Policy, International Finance, Global Strategic Management, Fundamentals of International Business, and Professional Communication.
Students interested in international business may take advantage of the combination bachelor’s and master’s degrees, allowing them to begin their graduate coursework while still completing their undergraduate degree. They can apply up to 12 credits to both their undergraduate and graduate degrees.
On the other hand, it is also possible for current graduate and professional students to gain diversified skills with a strong business foundation through the graduate dual degree. Dual degree students may share up to 9 credits between both degrees, allowing them to cut the time it takes to earn the programs.
Did You Know?
Warrington College of Business is considered one of the most respected business schools in the country. It prides itself as the birthplace of forward-thinking business leaders with innovation and results at their core. The college is made up of three schools, including Heavener School of Business, Fisher School of Accounting, and Hough Graduate School of Business.
University of North Carolina Greensboro
The University of North Carolina in Greensboro offers more than 175 undergraduate areas of study and more than 250 areas of graduate study. It has been recognized for excellence, accessibility, and affordability. They are also one of the leaders in innovative education, having offered online programs for working professionals.
- The MS in International Business at UNC helps students develop an understanding of the global environment, from cultural and economic to political and institutional settings.
- International business students are expected to learn how to create businesses in innovative ways, in a way that will allow them to succeed in a dynamic global environment.
- The international business master of science program curriculum is taught by professionals who are leading experts in the respective fields, providing students with diverse cultural backgrounds, experiences, and teaching approaches.
- Students can be assured of the program’s quality as the Bryan School of Business has an accreditation from AACSB.
As part of their learning process, students in this program will find opportunities to work with multicultural teams where they learn the different facets of international business and solve real-world business problems. They can also take part in experiential international learning, including engaging in the X-Culture program.
Did You Know?
The New York Times launched the “Build Your Own College Rankings” search tool in 2023. For a net cost of $11,629, the University of North Carolina ranked number one in the state. Some of the factors for the ranking include the 10-year income rank of alumni, economic mobility rank, and more.
University of Alabama
Founded in 1831, the University of Alabama has been providing innovative education that does not require campus visits. The correspondence courses have transformed into technology-enabled instruction that makes higher education more accessible.
- One of the online programs on offer is the Master of Arts in Management with a concentration in Global Business.
- This 100% online program equips students with competent skills that help them manage people and projects in a variety of areas.
- Students enrolled in the program can expect to explore areas of study that include human resources, global business, management, import and export strategies, and business ethics, among others.
- The online degree requires the completion of 30 hours of coursework, preparing students in global leadership roles by approaching international management issues from a global perspective.
Recognizing the integral role of globalization in today’s society, the Master of Arts in Management program provides students with a broad knowledge of key areas that will help them succeed in a global market. They will gain skills such as critical thinking, data analysis, and project management.
Did You Know?
The University of Alabama offers more than 90 bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral degree programs and certificates available in hybrid and online formats. This is in an effort to help students and busy professionals advance their education and career goals around their schedules.
Founded in 1971, Liberty University is an accredited evangelical liberal arts institution that currently offers more than 700 programs across 15 colleges and schools. Around 600 of these programs are made accessible to students anywhere in the world through online learning.
- Liberty University’s MBA in International Business equips students with the knowledge and skills essential in planning and implementing international competitive strategies.
- This MBA program is designed to help students build insights into international and traditional business practices that prove effective.
- Students are expected to learn how to develop plans for international marketing along with the skills to evaluate an organization’s global supply chain management practices.
- This online MBA program requires of 45 credit hours, which can usually be completed within two years on average.
The online MBA in International Business helps students qualify for the CGBP Certification, with courses covering the basic skills included in the exam. This certification confirms one’s knowledge of international trade and assures them that they can practice global business at the professional level.
Did You Know?
Since the 1980s, Liberty University has been offering distance education. Today, Liberty features an online learning platform that makes higher education more accessible and convenient, especially for working professionals.
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, the relatively young institution that it is, started its operations in 2013. It is a public research university formed after the consolidation of two other public universities. It is part of the larger University of Texas System and primarily serves the state’s Rio Grande Valley region. Currently, it has around 5,000 graduate students and a total student population of almost 32,000.
UTRGV’s Online MBA with a specialization in International Trade is ideal for students who seek leadership roles in international business settings.
The program contains a total of 36 credit hours, with courses around 7 weeks long each. The program can be completed in around 12 months.
The program’s curriculum covers various topics pertinent to international trade, including multicultural marketing, trans-border operations, international intellectual property, customs, and more.
This program features a cross-cultural educational emphasis, designed to develop students’ skills in marketing, finance, and management. With UTRGV, students get to benefit from an accelerated graduate program with affordable tuition rates, and various financial aid options.
Did You Know?
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley resulted from the University of Texas – Brownsville and the University of Texas–Pan American consolidation. Given its location, UTRGV also has a majority Hispanic student population.
American University is a private research university based in Washington DC. Established back in 1893 through an Act of Congress, it has a long list of alumni who have gone on to occupy prominent positions in national and international politics, business, the military, sports, media, and more.
American University’s online Master of Science in International Relations and Business is a unique program, designed to address the complex challenges at the intersection of business, foreign policy, and global affairs.
The program is around 12-18 months long and consists of a total of 36 credit hours. The program also consists of 11 courses.
In addition to key business skills, students also learn concepts in public policy and corporate responsibility, all on a global scale.
The program includes an in-person Global Immersion component, on top of the online coursework and Capstone.
Compared to most Master’s in International Business programs, this program is unique, being designed as a fusion of International Relations and International Business, which in practice are intertwined. Students in the program also get to benefit from American University’s global connections, with American University’s location right at the heart of American politics and economy, Washington DC.
Did You Know?
Given its location, American University is considered to be one of the top feeder schools for major government agencies, including the US Foreign Service, and the army of staffers in Congress.
University of North Carolina Wilmington
UNC Wilmington is a public research university that is part of the larger University of North Carolina System. Founded in 1947 as a junior college, it has since grown and expanded and has among its offerings, 35 master’s degree programs, and four doctoral degrees.
UNC Wilmington’s Online MBA in International Business is designed to develop students’ global mindset and awareness, through a program that takes a look at business trends and covers a wide range of cultural perspectives.
The program has a 36-credit-hour requirement and can be completed in as little as 12 months. Each of the accelerated courses is seven weeks long.
The program also emphasizes practical approaches to managing various aspects of multinational organizations and covers human resource management, structural and cultural management, and corporate management.
The program is also designed to deepen students’ knowledge in various key areas of business management, including accounting, information analysis, economics, business law, and more.
UNC Wilmington’s MBA in International Business is taught by a top-notch faculty who all have extensive theoretical and practical knowledge and experience working in the business sector. UNC Wilmington also offers some of the lowest tuition rates and is accredited by the AACSB.
Did You Know?
UNC Wilmington consistently makes the national rankings for academic excellence, including rankings maintained and administered by US News and World Report, The Princeton Review, and The Fiske Guide to Colleges.
Eastern Washington University
Eastern Washington University is a public university with its main campus in the City of Cheney. It has a long history, having been founded back in 1882 as a private institution, only becoming the EWU in 1977 through an act of the legislature. EWU currently has a student population of around 10,000, enrolled in its four colleges.
Eastern Washington University’s Online MBA with a Concentration in International Business prepares students for leadership and managerial roles in a constantly evolving global business environment.
The program contains a total of 44 credit hours, with 12 credit hours’ worth of International Business Concentration courses. The program can be completed in as little as 10 months.
The program’s core coursework covers data-driven decision-making, marketing management, corporate finance, operations management, advanced accounting, and leadership and ethics.
Eastern Washington University is one of only a few universities in the state that offers a 100% online MBA Program, at a pay-by-the-course tuition rate that is affordable both for in-state and out-of-state students. The program also waives the GMAT for its applicants.
Did You Know?
As one of the top public institutions in the State of Washington, EWU has earned recognition for its academic excellence, including a Top 100 ranking for Regional Universities from US News and World Report for 2022.
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana State University, or LSU, is a public land-grant research university, based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Having been founded back in 1860, it is currently the flagship institution of both the State of Louisiana and the Louisiana State University System. It currently has over 31,000 students and also caters to distance learners through its Online Campus.
Offered through its Online Campus, Louisiana State University’s Online MBA in International Business seeks to develop the right mindset and skills for students to thrive in an increasingly internationalized economy and business landscape.
The LSU Online MBA in International Business consists of a total of 30 credit hours, with 7 core courses.
Students must choose to complete either an International Business Concentration or Specialization. The Concentration requires 3 courses for 9 credit hours, while the Specialization requires 2 courses for 6 credit hours plus a 3-credit hour MBA elective.
Depending on their undergraduate degree, skillset, and job experience, students can also choose to take one of four independently offered optional foundation courses, which cover accounting, economics, finance, or statistics.
LSU consistently performs when it comes to academic excellence. Their MBA programs are highly regarded and considered to be among the top in the country. LSU’s Online MBA also features affordable tuition rates.
Did You Know?
As one of the country’s top public universities, LSU is in the “R1: Doctoral Universities – Very High Research Activity” category of the Carnegie Classifications.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the most popular career paths for graduates of international business programs?
Students of international business graduate degree programs have a wealth of opportunities to advance in their chosen field armed with a solid foundation from a global business perspective.
Earning an international business online program opens the door to many rewarding and lucrative careers in both global and emerging markets. This includes leadership roles in international business organizations.
They will find business occupations in the international markets such as economists, human resource managers, management analysts, marketing managers, and operations managers, among others.
Others may also find opportunities in international affairs with jobs such as policy analysts, senior risk management consultants, global training and development managers, and economic researchers.
What are the common admission requirements for online master’s in international business programs?
The admission requirements for MBA programs from university to university often vary. Some may require students to submit GRE, GMAT, or other graduate management admission test scores However, many programs in international business may need to meet the following qualifications in order to get admitted:
- Bachelor’s degree in business or a related field from a regionally accredited institution
- Minimum GPA
- Updated resume
- Professional references
- Statements of purpose
- Official transcripts
It is best for potential international business students to check directly with their chosen schools, specifically the office of admissions, to be sure of the requirements.
What are some of the courses found in a Master’s in International Business Degree Program?
With some exceptions, many of these programs are designed and offered as MBA/Master’s in Business Administration Degrees. Given the typical overall design of MBA curriculums, these programs include courses that cover foundational knowledge in various key business areas such as accounting and finance, as well as courses that develop students’ analytical/critical thinking and leadership skills.
The International Business component of these programs, meanwhile, includes courses that cover various business aspects applied on a global scale, including international business law, global supply chain management, international security, and global politics, among others.
These programs also cover particular concerns and challenges normally encountered in doing business globally and also emphasize discussions on how culture and global realities/current affairs affect doing business. It’s also not uncommon for these programs to make use of actual case studies to gain concrete insights and lessons and emphasize practical approaches to international-scale management.
- Master’s degrees in International Business build on crucial business/management skills by covering the unique challenges faced by professionals doing business on a global scale, preparing students for careers as business leaders or as part of multinational institutions.
- Master’s degrees in International Business typically emphasize taking a practical approach to management challenges faced by doing business internationally.
- Given the global coverage, Master’s degrees in International Business also emphasize discussion and understanding of other cultures, on top of current global trends and affairs.