Find your perfect college degree
In this article, we will be covering...
Business intelligence (BI) describes the tools, programs, techniques, and procedures used to gather, combine, analyze, and present business data. BI acquires information from multiple organizational sources, turning that information into insightful knowledge and providing that knowledge to decision-makers to enable well-informed business decisions.
A graduate degree in Business Intelligence is a good choice for professionals interested in a data-related career. These students will gain comprehensive knowledge of business technology that non-technical staff may utilize to comprehend and act on complex data.
- Best Online Master of Cybersecurity Graduate Schools
- Best Grad Schools with Online Doctorate in Business Intelligence
- Best Online Doctor of Cybersecurity Degree Programs
A rising number of colleges and universities now offer online Business Intelligence programs at the graduate level. Online Master’s Degrees in Business Intelligence provide students with the same curriculum as their traditional on-campus Master’s in Business Intelligence program.
To broaden your search, we have also included Business Analytics programs. Both the Master’s in Business Analytics and the Master’s in Business Intelligence are intended for data experts who want to turn raw data into knowledge that firms can use, but they approach this task differently.
Quick audio summary:
While the “perfect” Master’s in Business Intelligence degree isn’t the same for all students, a list of the best options makes the search and decision much easier for prospective students.
Each of the excellent Online Master’s in Business Intelligence programs on our list follows these criteria:
- Features a flexible, accessible, and inexpensive graduate learning option for Business Intelligence professionals through online or hybrid learning,
- Features comprehensive coursework that employs the most cutting-edge and modern Business Intelligence resources, techniques, and technology, qualifying students for career advancement or a BI doctorate pursuit,
- Hosts virtual BI classes on a top-rated Learning Management System that also offers easy coursework access,
- Offers various online student resources dedicated to student success,
- Features instructors who hold terminal Business Intelligence degrees with significant contributions to the field,
- Received regional accreditation, ensuring that the school and graduate program meet the rigorous academic standards,
- and, Recognized and respected by industries covered by Business Intelligence.
Visit our Methodology page and learn what goes into our graduate program ranking process.
10 Best Master’s of Business Intelligence Graduate Schools
University of Arkansas Grantham
Little Rock, AR
After joining the University of Arkansas System, Grantham University formally changed its name to the University of Arkansas Grantham. UA Grantham has strengthened its institution, now serving thousands of students already studying in over 60 completely online degree and diploma programs.
UA Grantham is better positioned to increase the quantity of high-quality, reasonably priced, and professionally relevant programs it provides to students in Arkansas and around the globe.
- Online students must complete 36 credit hours to earn the degree, which can take up to 24 months.
- Students can transfer up to 50% of their credits, allowing them to graduate faster.
- The curriculum helps students gain better decision-making, a thorough knowledge of information technology in the corporate sector, and expertise in general program analysis.
- Students will explore the technological and human aspects of a commercial operation.
- You’ll also look at ideas and tactics that can broaden your understanding of decision science, making you a valuable asset for any company looking to stay on the cutting edge of its industry.
- Program core courses include Management of Information Systems, Information Systems Strategic Planning, Balanced Scorecards and Performance Dashboards, and Capstone Project-Business Intelligence.
UA Grantham’s online Master’s in Business Intelligence degree program offers low and affordable tuition and provides new and returning degree-seeking students with a Lenovo Laptop at no additional costs.
Did You Know?
UA Grantham offers students and alums lifetime access to the university’s Career Services.
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota is a small Catholic liberal arts college that offers over 40 majors, ranging from the liberal arts to professional degrees. The practical, individualized education offered by Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota is influenced by its Lasallian Catholic background.
In addition to many graduate certificate programs, Saint Mary’s University provides undergraduate, degree-completion, master’s, and doctorate programs, some in 100% online learning formats.
- SMU MN offers an online Master’s in Business Intelligence and Data Analytics designed to help future leaders use business intelligence and data analytics to inform decisions.
- Students will be equipped with a unique skill set to help them engage with all stakeholders, identify the reasons for organizational difficulties, and implement effective solutions.
- It is a 33-credit hour degree program that includes courses in Data Science Strategies, Decision Support Systems, Business Statistics, and Data Mining for Decision Making.
- Thanks to this immersive online business intelligence degree, employers can immediately see students’ data governance and visualization skills.
- Students use current data from several companies to complete assignments.
- Moreover, students can choose to learn either R or Python or enroll in both courses.
- A panel of professionals reviews student work at least thrice during the program, offering feedback and exposing students to your quickly expanding skill set.
MS BIDA students must select either a Business Analytics, Artificial Intelligence, or Healthcare Analytics area of study as part of their degree requirements. These choices are also offered as stand-alone graduate certificates.
Did You Know?
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota is recognized as one of the Top Performers in Social Mobility schools in the United States.
Stevens Institute of Technology
Stevens Institute of Technology, a renowned private research university, is a leader in national outcomes due to its technological component. Stevens helps students attain their career goals by allowing them to study in a collaborative, project-based learning environment that helps them develop vital managerial skills, in-demand knowledge, and a strong network.
- Stevens Institute of Technology offers an MS in Business Intelligence and Analytics program designed to provide online students with a comprehensive understanding of business intelligence tools, applications, techniques, and advanced data analytics skills.
- Students can complete the program entirely online; however, they can also complete the program in a hybrid learning format if they want to.
- The program’s curriculum covers Data Management, Data Warehousing, Data Mining, Data Visualization, Predictive Analytics, and Business Analytics.
- It typically takes around two years to complete the 36 required credit hours of the program on a part-time basis.
- Students gain hands-on experience with tools and technologies commonly used in business intelligence, and they can apply their skills to real-world projects.
- Courses of the program will help students use business intelligence and analytics to become better and more effective decision-makers.
- Students will apply the concepts, principles, and methods associated with text, descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analysis to real problems in an application domain related to their area of interest.
According to the Stevens Institute of Technology, 99% of their 2021 spring graduates were employed three months after graduation.
Did You Know?
Stevens has 17 research institutes, which provide graduate and undergraduate students with research opportunities, and work at the cutting edge of several industries, including resilience, sustainability, quantum engineering, biotechnology, artificial intelligence, fintech, and healthcare.
Saint Joseph’s University
One of the first Jesuit schools in the nation, Saint Joseph’s University (SJU) is a private Roman Catholic university established in 1851. The institution provides a vast selection of graduate and undergraduate degree programs in many fields. Strong business, education, health sciences, and liberal arts programs are hallmarks of SJU.
- SJU offers a STEM-designated Master of Science in Business Intelligence & Analytics designed to help working adult students develop competencies required for senior leadership roles.
- The BI program can be completed entirely online in 1-2 years.
- Students who want to have close, face-to-face interaction with their instructors can enroll in a few on-campus courses during the day and in evening programs.
- Students can work at their own speed by selecting one, two, or three courses per term.
- Students are required to complete 30 credit hours to earn the degree.
- This concentration equips professionals for the twenty-first century with the skills necessary to improve decision-making, create new possibilities, achieve a competitive advantage, and drive organizational performance across all functional areas.
- Students receive training to add value to their organization by honing their analytical abilities and working with actual data.
- The program allows students to customize their degrees by choosing one of four career-focused tracks: Cyber Analytics, Data Analytics, Managerial, or Data Science.
The business intelligence and analytics graduate program at Saint Joseph has received support from the SAS Institute, and graduates are awarded a Business Intelligence Certificate from SAS. This certification gives graduates a competitive edge in the workplace, particularly in fields where mastery of abilities like data mining, data warehousing, market intelligence, and online analytical processing is crucial.
Did You Know?
The government awarded Saint Joseph University a total of $15M for their research from the biological sciences to the humanities.
Carnegie Mellon University
The Carnegie Technical Schools, which eventually combined with the Mellon Institute of Industrial Research to form Carnegie Mellon University, were established by businessman Andrew Carnegie in 1967.
It is a private research institution well-known worldwide for its excellence in the humanities, mathematics, science, computer science, and technology. The institution promotes multidisciplinary cooperation and gives its students several chances to study.
- The Online Master of Science in Business Analytics program at Carnegie Mellon University was designed to help professionals with technical backgrounds who desire to advance to senior positions by honing their analytical skills.
- The program accepts students with little to no background in business or analytics.
- The curriculum equips students with in-depth analytical abilities, business acumen, and problem-solving skills necessary to help organizations survive in the digital era.
- Students can finish the online MSBA in 20 months and graduate with cutting-edge training in Methodology, Software Engineering, Corporate Communication, And Business Domain Expertise.
- Most successful students in this program are motivated, cooperative, and unfazed by the demanding curriculum.
- Students should expect to have coursework that requires close collaborations with students who share their interests.
- Online students learn from the same full-time, on-campus instructors with significant contributions to business analytics.
- You’ll have access to course material that integrates cutting-edge research from the school staff.
Online students enrolled at Carnegie Mellon University’s master’s in business analytics program can access the Tepper Masters Career Center. Students receive highly specialized, one-on-one career guidance, whether they already have a specific plan or need assistance figuring out their next course of action.
Did You Know?
The inspiration for the character John Forbes Nash in the movie A Beautiful Mind graduated from Carnegie Mellon in 1948 with a degree in Chemical Engineering!
One of the eight Ivy League research universities is Cornell University. Cornell is a center for groundbreaking research and innovation with a strong concentration on research. Numerous research institutes and centers are located on campus, drawing esteemed academics and faculty from worldwide. The institution offers many practical learning opportunities and encourages students to participate in research initiatives.
- It’s no surprise that Cornell’s online Master’s in Business Analytics is one of the best online Master’s degrees, thanks to its rigorous and demanding curriculum created from the ground up to prepare working professionals for careers in business analytics.
- This is a STEM-designated, accelerated online Master’s degree that can be completed in 16 months.
- While the 19 courses of the MSBA program can be done online, students will be required to participate in 2 Summer Residency Weeks.
- Students choose from the finance, marketing, operations, supply chain, and business analytics concentrations to complete 11 online core MSBA courses and six online electives.
- Students explore courses that help them learn to use fundamental analytics tools, including Excel, Python, R, SQL, and Tableau.
- To conclude the program, students must complete a capstone project using a sizable data set and analysis techniques learned in the courses.
Cornell University’s Online Master of Business Analytics is known for networking and career advising opportunities. Students in the online program can network online or in person, thanks to Cornell’s CUeLINKS and LinkedIn. Moreover, thanks to Cornell SC Johnson College of Business Career Management Center, students will receive all the guidance necessary to prepare for their careers.
Did You Know?
Cornell has graduated a lot of well-known people. Famous alumni from Cornell include Harry Chapin, Ann Coulter, Jane Lynch, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Huey Lewis, Keith Olbermann, Christopher Reeves, and Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Keith Olbermann is one of the other noteworthy graduates. Cornell University has also claimed affiliations with 43 Nobel laureates, all of whom were faculty members or university graduates.
Arizona State University
Since its founding in 1885, Arizona State University has expanded to rank among the top universities in the United States in student enrolment. ASU is renowned for its innovation, dedication to accessibility, and focus on interdisciplinary academics. The institution provides a vast selection of graduate and undergraduate programs in many different fields.
- Arizona’s online MS in Business Analytics is a fast-paced degree program that requires students to complete 30 credit hours.
- Students will receive training on how to lead data-driven studies, extract value from data and modeling, and develop a crucial competitive advantage for the field.
- Additionally, students will learn sophisticated techniques for combining a lot of data while it’s at rest and using it to create a narrative.
- It also places a strong emphasis on quantitative courses, giving students the technical abilities necessary to compete in a business field that is rapidly expanding.
- Students will have first-hand experience using Tableau, Palisades, @RISK, Decision Suite, and AzureML, among other software languages.
- Online students will study several courses to develop their business, math, and statistics skills, including Business Analytics Strategy, Data-Driven Quality Management, Decision Models for Supply Chain Management, and Applied Analytics or Statistics for Managers.
- To conclude the program, students must complete a final project that requires them to use what they’ve learned from the earlier courses.
The W.P. Carey School of Business at ASU is known for employing a faculty passionate about innovative research and impact. This allows online master’s in business analytics students to learn from a world-class faculty.
In addition to its renowned faculty, ASU’s online business intelligence master’s degree is known for offering students low and affordable graduate education. ASU also provides various financial aid opportunities.
Did You Know?
The faculty at ASU is well-regarded. They have produced numerous Nobel laureates, six Pulitzer Prize winners, 114 Fulbright Scholars, and 27 members of the National Academy over the years.
One of the most prominent and renowned universities in the nation, Boston University was established in 1839. Boston University has Strong academic programs in business, communication, engineering, health sciences, fine arts, international relations, law, and public health. Furthermore, BU is dedicated to furthering knowledge and innovation as a large research university.
- Boston University offers an Online MS in Applied Business Analytics designed to equip students with the ability to analyze and interpret complex business data.
- The program’s curriculum applies advanced analytics techniques and tools to solve real-world business challenges.
- Students gain a solid foundation in Data Management, Statistical Analysis, Data Mining, Predictive Modeling, and Data Visualization.
- Graduates can evaluate data-driven business processes, pick the best analytical tools for tracking and identifying performance concerns, forecast potential consequences, and provide the best data-based remedies.
- This is a 40-credit hour program that can be completed in 18–24 months, depending if the student is enrolled full- or part-time.
- Students have several financial aid options, such as scholarships, graduate loans, and payment plans.
Students benefit from a distinctive combination of a flexible and rigorous academic curriculum, cutting-edge educational technologies, and advanced pedagogy. They’ll learn from knowledgeable faculty from MET’s Department of Administrative Sciences. Students will network with professionals within the business analytics industry.
Did You Know?
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, a civil rights legend, is a BU alumnus.
West Lafayette, IN
Purdue University, founded in 1869, is particularly well-known for its strong engineering, technology, business, and science programs. It is renowned for its dedication to practical, hands-on education and its emphasis on applying knowledge to real-world situations.
Furthermore, Purdue provides several online programs that give students convenient, flexible access to the university’s illustrious staff and top-notch academics. The academic programs are just as demanding for online students as for on-campus students but with far more flexibility in scheduling.
- One of Purdue’s online degree programs is the Master of Science in Business Analytics, ranked #7 of the Best MSBA worldwide by BusinessBecause.com.
- As a STEM-designated degree program, this 100% online MSBA degree uses the most current technologies and approaches that advance students’ application skills and analytics capabilities.
- Students will have improved marketability through courses such as Data Mining, Business Analytics, Python Programming, IT for Innovations, and Business Analytics Electives.
- In addition to Business Analytics Electives, students can broaden their knowledge and obtain more skills by enrolling in Management, Economics, and Organizational Behavior and Human Resources courses.
- Students will complete final projects emphasizing real-world business analytics issues that have either come from the students’ own firms or have been offered by Purdue.
- Students can collaborate closely with the Krenicki Center for Business Analytics and Machine Learning, which provides projects centered on data analytics that span all facets of business and economics.
Strong links with industry partners allow Purdue University to offer networking opportunities, guest speakers, and access to resources for internships or job placement for business analytics students.
Did You Know?
Hugh Hefner’s renowned Playboy DC-9 airplane is one of many items that Purdue maintains in storage; it is leased from Purdue and kept there permanently.
Purdue University, affiliated with the Churches of Christ, was founded in 1937 by entrepreneur and philanthropist George Pepperdine. Pepperdine University offers various undergraduate and graduate programs across various disciplines but is notably recognized for its business, law, education, psychology, and public policy programs.
The Graziadio Business School, in particular, is well-regarded and offers various graduate and undergraduate business programs.
- Pepperdine’s online Master’s in Business Analytics is one of the fastest online degree programs, with an average completion time of 16 months.
- Students gain advanced skills for analyzing data to predict customer demands and identifying patterns that address company difficulties.
- Information Systems and Decision Sciences are the two key areas in which you will take core courses.
- Students will also receive leadership and management training to clearly and persuasively present their findings during their final project to identify and solve real business issues.
- Students will develop proficiency in data gathering, management, and interpretation.
- You’ll also gain the capacity to find data trends using Tableau, SQL, Hadoop, and Excel.
- To earn the degree, online students must complete 31 units that can be completed entirely online and one immersion that will take place in Los Angeles.
- Students will move in cohorts in a 13:1 student-faculty ratio.
Although the business analytics degree at Pepperdine is rigorous and demanding, admissions are fairly easy compared to other educational institutions. No GMAT is required to qualify for the program; however, applicants must have an average 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale on their undergraduate degree. Additionally, applicants for the MS degree must have at least three years of career experience relevant to business analytics.
Did You Know?
Pepperdine started as a small Christian college and not a university. Originating as George Pepperdine College, the school had grown significantly and dramatically broadened its academic offerings by the late 1960s.
Career Paths for Master’s in Business Intelligence Graduates
Numerous employment options in data analysis, planning, and decision-making are available with a master’s in business intelligence. For graduates with a Master’s in Business Intelligence, the following employment options are possible:
Graduates of online master’s programs in business intelligence can work as strategy consultants since they’re given enough capabilities to create data-driven plans and make defensible judgments. Strategy consultants enhance corporate performance by conducting competitive intelligence, assessing market trends, and offering insights.
Median Annual Salary: $116,533
Business Intelligence Manager
Business intelligence managers oversee and direct a group of BI experts. These experts manage data analysis initiatives, establish goals, and ensure the team produces useful information to assist organizational decision-making.
Median Annual Salary: $128,292
Product managers use their business intelligence expertise to create data-driven solutions or improve existing ones. These professionals collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to establish product requirements, rank features, and improve products.
Median Annual Salary: $118,578
Data scientists glean insights from huge datasets; they employ sophisticated analytics and machine learning approaches. To tackle challenging business problems, these experts work on predictive modeling, data visualization, and algorithm development.
Median Annual Salary: $111,437
Data engineers create and maintain systems for storing, processing and analyzing enormous amounts of data. They make data pipelines, integrate data from many sources, and guarantee the security and quality of the data.
Median Annual Salary: $98,835
Business Analytics Manager
Business analytics managers manage a group of analysts in this position and turn business requirements into analytical solutions. These experts collaborate closely with executives and stakeholders to develop plans based on data-driven insights and make suggestions for enhancing business performance.
Median Annual Salary: $114,898
Data architects create and oversee data infrastructure and systems. They develop database structures, build data models, and protect the integrity and quality of the data. They work with business stakeholders and IT teams.
Median Annual Salary: $130,092
Business Intelligence Analyst
BI Analysts are responsible for finding patterns, trends, and insights that assist organizations in making wise business decisions. Data modeling, report and dashboard creation, data mining, and data analysis are the responsibilities of these experts.
Median Annual Salary: $87,042
Risk analysts assist firms in identifying and mitigating potential risks using their data analysis and business intelligence skills. Risk analysts will examine financial data, evaluate market trends, and construct risk models to support risk management initiatives.
Median Annual Salary: $71,866
Business Intelligence Professional Organizations
Getting involved in a professional group is a great way to meet professionals and students in your industry. Professional organizations will often connect you with financial aid opportunities, leading to more affordable learning.
All professionals are expected to be members of a professional organization within their field. This means that, as a student in a graduate program, you’ll have access to better networking opportunities beyond what your school can provide.
Several professional organizations cater to business intelligence professionals. Here are a few prominent ones:
The IIBA is a professional organization devoted to business analysis. Business analysis professionals can advance their careers with the help of various resources, certifications, and networking opportunities offered by the IIBA. Certificates, chapters and events, resources and publications, and professional community are some of the IIBA’s most essential features.
One of the top organizations for computer science experts is ACM. They have a Special Interest Group (SIG) for Data Science and Business Intelligence dedicated to studying and teamwork in these fields.
DAMA is a nonprofit association for business intelligence professionals, especially data management specialists. Through regional chapters, events, and publications, they offer resources, training, and chances to network.
IBF is a group that works to advance analytics, demand planning, and business forecasting. For those working in business intelligence and forecasting, they provide conferences, networking opportunities, training, certification, and training.
TDWI is dedicated to advancing Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing through instruction and training. They provide training courses, webinars, and conferences to advance industry expertise.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the job salary and career outlook of Business Intelligence analysts?
How long is an online Master’s in Business Intelligence?
The length of online graduate degrees in Business Intelligence depends on several factors, such as the student’s enrollment status and the program’s structure. An accelerated online master’s degree can be completed in 16 months, while other master’s degrees can take up to 2.5 years.
What are the courses taught in an online Master’s in Business Intelligence?
Master’s degree programs in Business Intelligence have various curricula; meaning courses may differ. However, the common courses for these programs include business intelligence strategy, data visualization, machine learning, data analytics, database management, data mining, statistical analysis, and corporate ethics.
What technology or software skills do Business Intelligence students learn in a business intelligence master’s degree?
Business intelligence graduate students earn various software and technology skills, such as using data analytics tools like SAS or Hadoop, data visualization tools like Power BI or Tableau, and database management systems like SQL.
What’s the Difference Between a Master’s degree in Business Intelligence and a Master’s in Business Administration in Business Intelligence?
While both degrees study topics in business analytics, data science, and data-driven decision-making, an MBA includes more broad business courses, such as instruction in marketing, finance, and organizational behavior. On the other hand, a business intelligence master’s degree offers a more specialized curriculum tailored to an analytics career.
- Master’s in Business Intelligence focuses on using technology and data analysis to support business decision-making.
- The best online master’s degree programs in Business Intelligence are best suited for working professionals who want a flexible learning schedule without compromising the quality of their education.
- Graduates of a Business Intelligence online master’s program can work as business intelligence analysts, data analysts, data scientists, business analysts, data engineers, data architects, data managers, or consultants for businesses in various sectors.