Find your perfect graduate degree
In this article, we will be covering...
A majority of modern businesses use technology to achieve a speedy, efficient, and accurate operation. To make this happen, they would need the expertise of information systems and technology professionals to make sure that their technology is secure and works according to its design and purpose.
If you have an interest in this computer science-related degree, check it out!
To excel in the field of Information systems, most employers prefer that you possess a Master's degree in the field. Well-qualified information systems managers are needed in almost all types of industries. Those with an Information Systems Master's degree can play an important part in computer security, design, and application.
Quick audio summary:
MS in Information Systems Defined
An information system refers to integrating hardware, software, and human resources in the collection, processing, and distribution of data.
A Master of Science in Information Systems equips students with the technical skills and business acumen they need to design, create, maintain, and manage information systems of government, business, or non-profit organizations.
A master's degree in information systems will equip you with the tools you need to succeed in information systems and technology.
Opportunities in the Field of IT
The advancement of technology has opened doors of opportunities for IT professionals, especially holders of a master's degree in information systems and technology.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics explains that the demand for computer information systems managers will grow by 15% between 2022 and 2032. This means many job opportunities await you if you possess a degree in information systems and technology, but you have better chances to stand out if you're a holder of a master's degree.
A Master's in Information Systems will open doors for you toward a brighter career in software development, computer networking, and cybersecurity. It works to develop not only your technical skills but your leadership capabilities.
It also prepares you for greater responsibilities like project management, designing, and database management within an organization's information systems.
With numerous opportunities in store for Information Technology professionals, obtaining a master's in this field promises excellent ROI! A significant part of ensuring an outstanding academic experience and desirable career outcomes is choosing the best graduate school and degree program.
The Best Online Master's of Science in Information Systems Graduate Schools are your best options! These hallmarks of academic excellence are evident in all these institutions:
- The Master's in Information Systems program is offered fully web-based or in a hybrid format so that adult learners enjoy flexible and convenient classes,
- Program curricula that reflect up-to-date industry principles, theories, applications, strategies, methods, and practices to prepare students for actual work settings,
- The team of online instructors consists of Information Systems experts who may also teach the subject in the traditional learning setup,
- Qualified online graduate students of the program enjoy access to financial aid programs,
- The Master's in Information Systems online institutions and programs are all officially accredited.
See our Methodology page for more information.
Best Online Master's of Science in Information Systems Graduate Schools
Johns Hopkins University (Whiting)
: 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218
: (410) 516-2300
Johns Hopkins University is offering a Master of Science in Information Systems Engineering degree program. The school allows you to customize your degree by selecting from several focus areas, including information management, human-computer interaction, and computer engineering.
To qualify for admission to Johns Hopkins University's Master of Science in Information Systems Engineering degree program, you must:
- Hold a bachelor's degree earned from an accredited college or university, with a GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Submit official transcripts from colleges or universities you've previously attended
- Submit a detailed current resume
- Submit proof of prior education
- One year of college math, which includes one semester in each of the following subjects:
- Calculus or discrete mathematics
- Data Structures - This is a conditional requirement for students who want to take courses that require data structures, e.g., Computer Science, and Cybersecurity
Note: If you haven't taken any of the above prerequisites, the university may still consider you for admission under provisional status. Full admission will be granted once you have completed these prerequisites at Johns Hopkins University or any regionally accredited college or university, with a minimum grade of B.
The faculty members of Johns Hopkins University's Master of Science in Information Systems Engineering are composed of senior executives from the university's physics laboratory. Many of them are also leaders in the IT industry.
With their knowledge, experience, and teaching skills, they will develop you into an excellent IT professional. They will equip you with the knowledge and skills you need to perform your responsibilities in the following areas of focus:
- Data Engineering
- Enterprise and Web Computing
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Information Management
- Network Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Systems Engineering
Johns Hopkins University's employer contribution programs cover about 78% of students' tuition.
Auburn University Harbert College of Business
: 405 West Magnolia Ave., Auburn, Alabama 36849
: (334) 844-8862
The Master of Science (MS) in Information Systems Management program at Auburn University's Harbert College of Business is designed to make you a leader of your IT team. It prepares future leaders in the Information Systems or IT departments of organizations by focusing on the competencies required for the job.
To qualify for admission to Auburn University's Master of Science in Information Systems Management degree program, you must:
- Be a bachelor's degree holder who attended a regionally accredited college or university
- Complete an application online and pay an application fee of $60
- Submit your official GMAT or GRE score
- Submit your TOEFL or IELTS score if your first language is not English
- Submit two letters of recommendation
- Submit your current resume
The MSIS degree program at Auburn University's Harbert College of Business is a quality online program designed to equip you with technical knowledge to lead teams designing, maintaining, and administering information systems. It is intended to develop you into a leader in the IT industry.
The university's MSIS degree program is a hub where you can find opportunities for hands-on training in information systems management and leadership. It is a program that can open doors for you in the field of information systems and technology.
The average starting annual salary for Harbert graduates in 2022 was $60,300. According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), it is higher than the national average for business graduates, which was $53,912, according to the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE).
: 1010 Commonwealth Avenue, 2nd Floor, Boston, MA 02215
: (617) 358-1960
Boston University's online Master's of Science in Computer Information Systems (MSCIS) degree program will immerse you into the world of information and technological innovation. It sharpens your technical skills to make you capable of assuming leadership positions in IT divisions of any sector of the present society.
It is designed for people who wish to advance their careers by pursuing a master's degree in information systems while working.
If you wish to enroll in Boston University's Online MSCIS degree program, there are requirements for admission that you need to comply with. These are:
- A completed application for admission
- Three letters of recommendation
- A short personal essay that relates your desire and motivation to become part of the program
- Your current resume
- Official transcripts from colleges and universities you've previously attended
- Payment of a non-refundable application fee of $85
With Boston University's online MSCIS degree program, you will be mentored by faculty who are experts and leaders in the IT industry. They are guaranteed to have hands-on experience developing applications, building networks, and fighting cybercrime for the world's leading companies.
The online MSCIS programs of the university are a cut above the rest. It is something you can't get easily anywhere else.
Boston University was home to some famous alums Faye Dunaway, Jason Alexander, Howard Stern, Emily Deschanel, Geena Davis, Julianne Moore, Rosie O'Donnell, and Star Trek's Leonard Nimoy or Mr. Spock.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
: 1 Aerospace Boulevard, Daytona Beach, FL 32114-3900
: (386) 226-6100
The Master of Science - Management Information Systems degree offered by Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University focuses on managing information-intensive systems. It is a program that combines information systems with management principles to equip you with the tools you need to advance your career in the IT field.
Applying for admission to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's Master in Management Information Systems program is not too complex. Here are a few requirements:
- A completed online application and payment of a $50 non-refundable application fee
- Official transcripts from previous colleges and universities you've previously attended
- Statement of Objectives
- Letters of Recommendation
- GMAT/GRE Scores
The Master of Science - Management Information Systems (MSMIS) degree program at Embry-Riddle Worldwide is designed to help you understand the elements and principles of information systems. It equips you with the tools to become a leader in the IT industry.
The program is also intended to help professionals who want to enhance their knowledge and career opportunities in the industry.
Embry-Riddle's aerospace engineering program is the largest in the United States.
West Texas A&M University
: Paul and Virginia Engler College of Business
West Texas A&M University, Canyon, TX 79016
: (806) 651-0000
West Texas A&M University's Master of Science in Computer Information Systems & Business Analytics degree program is offered at Paul and Virginia Engler College of Business. It is intended to prepare you to become a next-generation leader in Computing and managing information systems.
Future professionals can harness their data analysis skills to make sound business decisions—an important element of business success.
To be admitted to the West Texas A&M University's Master of Science in Computer Information Systems & Business Analytics degree program, make sure:
- You should hold a Bachelor's in Programming or any four-year related degree from an accredited college or university or a minimum of two years of hands-on experience in computer programming.
- You are required to email COBGrad@wtamu.edu your resume or CV, transcripts, and GPA. Once you've sent your email, wait for the school to send you your plan of study.
- When you get your plan of study, your next task would be to complete the application process:
- Complete an online application
- Request all colleges/universities you've previously attended to transmit your official transcripts to WATMU Graduate School
- Submit your GMAT score
- Submit a 500-word Statement of Goals as a Word or PDF document
- Submit three letters of recommendation
The MS CISBA degree program at West Texas A&M University is designed to equip students with strategic computing skills, business acumen, analytical skills, and cyber-security awareness to steer their business organizations and transform them into competitive, profitable enterprises.
It is intended to develop your knowledge and understanding in these areas:
- Quantitative Analysis
- Data Analytics
- Computing and Data Mining
- Web and Mobile Development
- Business Integration and Cybersecurity
- Technology Planning and Project Management
Texas A&M is the oldest higher education institution in the state of Texas.
: 7054 Haycock Road, Suite 364, Falls Church, VA 22043
: (703) 538-8384
The Online Master of Information Technology degree program at Virginia Tech is designed to equip both experienced and aspiring information technology professionals with the knowledge and skills they need to pursue a master's degree without sacrificing their jobs or family commitments.
It's a program that can help them advance their careers in a world driven by information systems and technology advancements.
Applying for admission to Virginia Tech's master of information technology program isn't too complicated. However, you need to comply with certain requirements to enroll successfully. Here are the school's requirements for admission:
- A bachelor's degree
- Knowledge of at least one object-oriented programming language, ex. Java, C++, or Python
- At least three years of professional work experience
- GPA 3.0 (at the minimum)
- A completed online application
- Official transcripts from colleges or universities you've previously attended
- Proof of English proficiency if English is not your first language
- Your most recent resume
- Three letters of recommendation with at least one coming from a past or current supervisor
- Your academic and professional goal statement relates to why you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree and why you chose Virginia Tech
- Payment of non-refundable application fee
Virginia Tech's Master of Information Technology online degree program is anchored on flexibility. It allows you to pursue a master's degree that goes well with your commitments in life and career.
With the university's fully online and asynchronous MIT degree program, you will be able to attain your academic and career goals wherever you may be in the country.
Additionally, the university's MIT courses are handled by seasoned full-time faculty members who are currently active in the IT industry. You'll learn much from the experiences and cutting-edge perspectives they will share with you in your virtual classroom.
Virginia Tech is just a nickname. The school's full name is Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
The University of Arizona
: Eller College of Management, 1130 Ellen Street, Tucson, AZ 85721-0108
: (520) 621-2165
The University of Arizona Eller School of Management offers an online Master of Science in Management Information Systems degree program. It's a distance learning program that allows you to learn wherever you may be.
It's a program that can make a lasting impact on your career without you having to relocate or leave your current job and other commitments.
To earn a place at Eller School of Management's online Master of Science in Management Information Systems degree program, you need to comply with the following requirements:
- A bachelor's with at least a GPA of 3.0 from a regionally accredited college or university
- At least two years of work experience - internships are not considered
- Proof of English proficiency if your first language is not English
- A completed graduate college application and payment of the $85 processing fee
- Official transcripts from colleges and universities you've previously attended
- Current resume
- Your Statement of Purpose - An essay that relates your objectives for pursuing an MIS degree and how it will impact your career
- Three letters of recommendation
The University of Arizona's online Master of Science in Information Systems degree program will give you the benefits of a quality master's degree program with a bonus. It guarantees more flexibility because it is conducted 100% online, and it doesn't require you to spend time on campus.
The program allows you to reach your academic and career goals without compromising a part of your life.
The program is designed to equip you with IT skills and knowledge of business processes. It gives you the confidence and the ability to face and overcome the challenges of the modern tech-driven business world.
The University of Arizona was ranked No. 1 nationally in US News & World Report's 2022 list of public graduate management information systems programs.
California State University - Fullerton
: 800 N. State College Blvd., Fullerton, CA 92831-3599
California State University - Fullerton's online Master of Science in Information Technology degree program can offer you the flexibility and freedom to pursue your academic goals with the benefit of convenience.
Here are the requirements you need to comply with to earn a place in California State University - Fullerton's Master of Science in Information Technology degree program.
- A bachelor's degree earned from an accredited college or university
- A completed online application together with the following documents:
- Statement of purpose
- Recent professional résumé
- Letter of recommendation
- Official Transcripts from colleges or universities you've previously attended
- Official Graduate Aptitude Exam Score Report
- Official English Proficiency Exam Score Report (TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE if your first language is not English.
When you become a part of California State University - Fullerton's Master of Science in Information Technology Degree Program, you will be working collaboratively with professionals who are committed to giving you what you should know.
Generally, the program is designed to help you achieve these essential elements of an information technology degree:
- A good understanding of telecommunications and data communications requirements. These are important elements in the management of IT services.
- Develop your skills in systems development
- Learn programming concepts
- Learn management of IT organizations
- Understand the accounting aspects of It organizations
- Enhance your communication skills
California State University - Fullerton has students from 81 nations. It has graduated more than a quarter-million men and women since its founding in 1959.
Carnegie Mellon University Heinz College
: 5000 Forbes Ave, Hamburg Hall, Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
: (412) 268-2159
The Master of Science - Information Technology degree program at Carnegie Mellon University is offered at Heinz College. It is designed to equip you with superior IT skills and innovative management tools. These will allow you to identify technologies you can use to attain your business objectives.
As an aspirant for a master's degree in information technology at Carnegie Mellon University, you must comply with these requirements:
- A bachelor's from a regionally accredited school
- A completed online application
- GMAT or GRE test results - optional
- Proof of English proficiency if English is not your first language
- Two letters of recommendation from your employer, professor, or supervisor who knows your educational and professional goals
- Your recent resume that states your educational background, work experience, accomplishments, and volunteer work
- A 100-word essay that describes your education, professional background, and career goals. You should also include how the university's online MSIT program can help you achieve your career goals.
- An optional but strongly recommended video interview
The Master of Science - Information Technology program at Carnegie Mellon University is flexible in curriculum and structure. It is intended to help working students and professionals pursue a master's degree to boost their knowledge and career opportunities. If you enroll in this program, you can continue to work full-time while studying.
With Carnegie Mellon's online MSIT program, you don't need to go to Pittsburg to learn from the best. The university's online program will be your key to gaining access to world-class professors many on-campus students have the privilege of working with.
The MSIT program at Carnegie Mellon University's Heinz College can help you learn the latest skills, acquire technological expertise, and be a part of a strong network of IT professionals.
Carnegie Mellon University has been a leading graduate school for information and technology management degrees since 2001.
Frequently Asked Questions
An online Master of Science - Information Systems degree program is a graduate learning program offered by a college or university that doesn't require students to attend face-to-face on-campus classes.
Since online classes are delivered through the Internet, you, the student, will be able to attend your classes at home or anywhere you want and at any time convenient to you.
An online master's degree program is beneficial to working students and professionals. It allows them to pursue their desire for career advancement through a flexible schedule without relocating or commuting. It is such a time-saving and cost-effective program you must consider, especially if you have other commitments besides schooling.
A Master of Science in Information Systems opens doors for you to greater career opportunities. It can qualify you for higher-level positions in different sectors of society, whether it is government, healthcare, business, or education - you name it.
A master's degree in information systems will equip you with the knowledge and skills to assume leadership positions. Organizations that rely on information systems to gather and process data will need your expertise for the efficient operation of their business.
These are some of the most valuable things you can do with a master's degree in information systems:
- Software and Systems Development - Encompasses information system design, software project development, and information systems development and implementation.
- Data and Information Management- Includes data mining, data analytics, database design, advanced data management, and natural language processing.
- Human-centered Computing - This is about human-computer interaction. This aspect involves social computing and conceiving user-experience designs that can be used to simulate human capabilities.
- Cyber-Security - As an information systems professional, you will be in charge of applying cybersecurity principles and making sure that information assurance, information forensics, and information policy and ethics are upheld in your organization.
Information technology deals with computing and telecommunication devices for the efficient storage, retrieval, and transmission of information. Information systems, meanwhile, is a subject that focuses mainly on information technology. The two have many things in common. However, a master's degree in information technology covers a lot more topics.
A master of information systems degree program is designed to help students pursue a career in information technology. It allows them to specialize in certain areas of IT, including:
- Project Management
- Web Design
- Data Science
- Network Security
- Business Process Design
- Artificial Intelligence
A master of information technology degree program can also help students advance their careers in information technology. It allows them to develop and sharpen their skills in:
- Information Systems
- Homeland Security
- Computer Programming
- Database Design
- Software Engineering
- Online degree programs in the field of Information Systems provide graduates with relevant professional experience and many career advancement opportunities.
- Job choices include positions in project management, information systems master, database management, data analytics, software development, business intelligence, information systems analysis, risk management, software project management, and much more!
- Often, online students can take advantage of financial assistance while attending class. Online education is a great way to earn your degree while maintaining your daily job.
- Core courses include software development, data science, information systems analysis, data management, information assurance, computer networks, risk management, and so much more; all designed to keep you updated on advanced skills in automated technology.
- To become an Information Systems Manager or Project Management, most often, a Master's degree will be required due to the responsibilities of the leadership role. Get started today!