Pursuing an online Master’s of Science in Computer Science may pave the way for an effective and lucrative career in the field of computer science. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics employment opportunities in computer science are expected to grow 22% between now and 2030.
This is almost three times as fast as the average growth rate in most jobs. Not only is the growth rate of jobs in computer science expected to expand quickly, but the average median salary for computer scientists is also much higher than average at $131,490 per year.
Is there another career choice that could be more relevant today than a computer-related field? With the expansive positive job growth outlook, we don’t think so! Therefore, we want you to be in the know… You should consider earning a Master’s of Science in Computer Science degree, no doubt. And, if you need a convenient way to earn your degree while maintaining your current career, online options are available!
CHOOSE A SPECIALIZATION…
Computer Science Master’s degree specializations may include topics such as Software Engineering, Machine Learning, Data and Knowledge Systems, and Cyber Security. With diverse specialization possibilities, these online Master’s of Computer Science degree programs cater to the unique interests of each individual looking to begin their online Master’s of Computer Science degree program.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN…
Students in a Master’s of Computer Science program learn how to perform computer analysis, use information transfer systems and computational processes as well as address problems in:
- automated planning,
- computer architecture,
- multi-agent systems,
- data structures,
- artificial intelligence,
- and natural language processing.
Improving software reliability and inventing next-generation computer systems, search engines or distribution systems are also part of the learning process of a Master’s of Computer Science program.
Graduates of one of these online Master’s of Computer Science degree programs may find employment as a:
- Computer and Information Systems Manager or Research Scientist,
- Computer Network Architect,
- Software Development Engineer,
- Software Developer,
- Information Security Analyst,
- Information Research Scientist,
- Computer Systems Analyst,
among other employment opportunities that require Computer Science expertise. Perhaps you can agree that a computer science master’s degree provides many opportunities for earning a lucrative living.
A Master’s of Computer Science requires a student’s dedication to highly demanding coursework! By learning the nuts and bolts of Computer Science at the graduate level, you gain the most sought-after skills in the tech world, particularly in industries where computers, technology, and data are vital!
Choose the 10 Best Online Master’s of Science in Computer Science Graduate Schools! Explore your best options from our list, which we put together based on these attributes:
- An Online Master’s of Science in Computer Science curriculum that features the most up-to-date subjects and rigorous coursework,
- Outstanding instructors, most of whom are terminal degree holders and experts in their field of study,
- Top-rated online platform for graduate study that gives students access to support and resources,
- Esteemed by journalistic and academic resources, and frequents graduate program rankings,
- Academic excellence, as indicated by impressive admission, graduation, or job placement rates,
- Offers federal financial aid options,
- Positive reviews from graduate students and alumni,
- Full accreditation from academic agencies and graduate study authorities.
Best Online Master’s of Science in Computer Science Graduate Schools
Georgia Institute of Technology
: North Ave NW, Atlanta, GA 30332
: 404 894 2000
Georgia Institute of Technology or what most students call Georgia Tech, is a public research institution in Atlanta, Georgia. The university, Udacity, and For&T have partnered to offer the first accredited Master of Science in Computer Science, which students can receive exclusively through the Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) delivery model and at a fraction of the cost of standard on-campus programs.
To account for the new delivery model, this collaboration—dubbed “OMS CS” informally—brings together experts in education, MOOCs, and industry to use the disruptive force of massively open online teaching to expand the pipeline of high-quality, educated people needed in computer science fields.
- International applicants need to have at least the equivalence of a four-year baccalaureate degree from a regionally approved university in the United States. Satisfactory scores on the TOEFL or IELTS-Academic for overseas applicants.
- The OMS CS degree takes 30 hours to complete. Students must declare one specialization, which takes 15-18 hours, depending on the specialization. The remaining 12-15 hours are “free” electives, which can be any of the OMS CS program’s duration.
- Applicants to the OMS CS program must meet specific technological criteria, such as having a high-speed notebook or desktop computer.
Standout Features of Georgia Tech’s Online Master of Science in Computer Science Program:
Students enrolled in the OMS CS program can further personalize their study by choosing from four concentrations. Our students can fine-tune their degrees thanks to the breadth and depth of subject matter in specialties like computing systems.
Specializations Currently Offered:
- Computational Perception & Robotics
- Computing Systems
- Interactive Intelligence
- Machine Learning
Georgia Tech’s massively funded Master of Science in Computer Science online will prepare you to have your skills and talent tested in an elite program. The price isn’t a mistake. GT collaborates with Udacity and AT&T to provide a MOOC-based, online degree for a very reasonable price.
Georgia Tech is among the best universities in the country when it comes to maintaining traditions. One of the institution’s most famous traditions is stealing the “T” in its Tech Tower. Since 1969, students have devised elaborate schemes to scale Tech Tower and grab the building’s sizable symbolic letter T multiple times.
The ‘T’ was initially taken in April 1969 by the “Magnificent Seven,” a secret gang of Georgia Tech students. The students planned the robbery to commemorate Institute President Edwin D. Harrison’s retirement, inspired by a similar hoax at Harvard University in 1968. At the request of Atlanta mayor Ivan Allen, the ‘T’ was returned by helicopter several days later.
: 353 Jane Stanford Way, Stanford, CA 94305
: 650 723 2300
Stanford University in California provides an online master’s degree in computer science. Stanford University’s online Master of Science in computer science is a terminal degree that does not lead to a Ph.D.
The curriculum offers foundation prerequisite courses such as computer systems, probability, and automata and complexity to students who may not have a computer science background. The requirements then concentrate on implementation classes such as computer graphics and imaging, databases, and general gameplay. Artificial intelligence, biocomputation, software theory, and systems are among the specialties available to participants.
- You have to complete the coursework or requirements in five years if you get accepted into the program. Artificial intelligence, biocomputing, computer and network security, human-computer interface, information management, and analysis are all options for students. Mobile and Internet computing, real-world computing, software theory, systems, and theoretical computing are all examples of computing.
- Because Stanford is a private university, applicants should prepare to spend a lot of money.
- You must submit a GRE score less than five years old, three recommendation letters, a statement of purpose, and the $125 application fee to be considered for Stanford University’s online MS in computer science.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science takes 3 to 5 years to complete and needs 45 units of study.
Standout Features of Stanford University Computer Science MS Degree:
Stanford academics are world-class, and professors are among the best in their respective professions. The Computer Science Department is a top computer science school. It was established in 1965 and is now one of the world’s best computer science programs. It stands out among computer science programs because of its location in Silicon Valley.
Stanford is one of the world’s most research-intensive universities. Since 1952, more than 68 Stanford faculty, staff, and alumni have received Nobel Prizes, making Stanford the institution with the most Turing award winners (called the “Nobel Prize of Computer Science”). There are 19 Nobel Laureates and four Pulitzer Prize winners among Stanford’s current faculty. Stanford has 74 millionaires among its alumni, as well as 17 present astronauts.
: 3141 Chestnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19104
: 215 895 2000
The curriculum includes career-focused classes that combine theory and practice. Computational scientists, computer professionals, and software engineers who desire to further their professions can benefit from the curriculum. Nationally recognized and successful computer science professionals are among the experienced professors.
- The principles of databases, operating systems, and programming languages are part of core courses. Theory, intelligent systems, programming systems, vision and graphics, and computer systems are among the key concentrations available.
- Drexel University’s 45-credit online Master of Science in computer science permits nine credits to be transferred to your current degree.
- To graduate, you can pick between a thesis or a non-thesis alternative.
- Drexel University requires a 3.0 GPA over the past two years of undergrad coursework. Applicants must also have a recent GRE score, two professional letters of recommendation, and a 500-word statement of purpose to be admitted to the online MS in the computer science program.
Standout Features of Drexel University’s Online MS. In Computer Science:
The authorized online Master of Science in Computer Science (MS) from Drexel University provides career-oriented course material that balances theory and practice to prepare you for work on the cutting edge of technology. The curriculum encourages an in-depth grasp of core and advanced topics while teaching you to model and solve real-world problems using the most up-to-date tools. The curriculum provides a solid foundation and instruction for practicing computational scientists, computer specialists, and software engineers wishing to improve their careers in business, industry, or government.
International Students Services at Drexel University are among the best in the country. Through culturally enriching programs for all members of the Drexel community, the Office of International Students and Scholars Services (ISSS) seeks to encourage meaningful contact between US residents and students from other nations. Students get affiliated with ISSS shortly after enrollment and continue to do so long after graduation. ISSS staff provide individual advice on immigration, cultural, financial, academic, and personal issues.
: 233 Bay State Road, Boston, MA 02215
: 617 353 2300
Boston University is home to a diverse student body that hails from more than 150 countries and all 50 states, with several facilities distributed around one of the country’s most lively cities.
Interested applicants can earn an online master’s degree in computer science from BU, equipping them with technical and leadership skills.
- Computer networks, data analytics, database administration, business intelligence, healthcare computing, IT project management, security, and development are among the concentrations available to students.
- The degree involves 40 credits, which students can complete in 18 to 24 months. There are five core courses, consisting of a mandatory statistics course and four optional or specialty courses.
- Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution. Although applicants can apply without prior computer experience, those who do not have will need to attend prerequisite courses before beginning the program.
Standout Feature of Online Master of Science in Computer Information Systems in BU:
The Computer Information Systems master’s degree program at BU MET improves technical expertise in information systems while increasing knowledge of managerial and organizational concerns, preparing you to integrate information technology with an organization’s business needs. That entails developing strong leadership and communication skills and offering practical experience in systems analysis and design, computer networks, cybersecurity, data analytics, database management, health IT, IT project management, web application development, and more.
The university’s study abroad program is the best in the country and is one of the world’s largest and most international programs. No matter your degree or area of interest, they have a study abroad location for you. And the majority of students study abroad multiple times.
University of Minnesota
: 319 – 15th Avenue SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
: 612 625 5000
The University of Minnesota began as a preparatory school in 1851. When the school closed during the American Civil War, students were taught sporadically. Following the Morrill Act of 1862, the institution was granted land-grant status, reopened in 1867, and reconstituted as a university in 1869.
The institution now provides various online Master’s degrees, including a Master of Science in Computer Science. The graduate program includes theoretical and applied computer science instruction and research opportunities in nearly every subject area.
- The Master of computer science (MCS) online program at the University of Minnesota consists of 31 units and takes five calendar years to complete.
- A 3.25 undergraduate GPA is necessary for admission. Because the Master of Computer Science online program at the University of Minnesota is coursework-only, you do not have to submit a thesis to graduate.
- You’ll need to get used to the UNITE Distributed Learning material delivery system if you want to excel at the University of Minnesota.
Standout Feature of The University of Minnesota’s Online Master of Science in Computer Science:
The University of Minnesota’s computer science department is exceptionally competitive. UMN is known for its cutting-edge computer science master’s degrees, and the university’s research is one of the greatest in the world.
This school is where cardiac surgery began. Walton Lillehei was a graduate of the University of Minnesota and one of its most accomplished alumni. He was a pioneer of open-heart surgery. He pioneered new and more effective techniques in cardiac surgery, leading to improvements in the field. He was the first person to do a successful open-heart surgery.
: 1130 Amsterdam Avenue 212 Hamilton Hall, MC 2807 New York, NY 10027
: 212 854 2522
Columbia University is one of the first universities in the United States and has eight schools and institutes. As a general curriculum, the School of Engineering and Applied Science provides a Master of Science in Computer Science.
- Applicants are not required to have a computer science undergraduate degree. However, those who do not have an undergraduate degree must have a record of excellence and six prerequisites: Two math classes and four computer science courses addressing the fundamentals of the area.
- The majority of students admitted have a GPA of at least 3.3 (out of 4.0); a GPA of at least 3.5 is necessary. Although an atopic GRE test is not required, it may be beneficial to your candidacy.
- Although an atopic GRE test is not necessary, it may be beneficial to your candidacy.
- You must finish all the coursework within five years.
Standout Feature of The Columbia University in Online Master in Computer Science:
Columbia University provides an online Master’s degree in Computer Science focusing on theoretical and mathematical computer science and experimental computer technology. The Columbia University program allows students to create their track in addition to the eight designated focus areas (Natural Language Processing; Foundations of Computer Science; Machine Learning; Network Systems; Software Systems; Vision, Graphics, Interaction, and Robotics; Computer Security; and Computational Biology).
Columbia University is renowned as the “Inventive Capital of the World.” It is where many of the world’s most remarkable ideas began. The Manhattan Project was a large-scale project that took place during World War II. The first nuclear weapon, the atomic bomb, was developed by Columbia University researchers.
FM Radio, neon laser, and many other early inventions are among the most well-known. Today, Columbia University has a dazzling alumni base with over a thousand patents for initiatives and research.
Colorado Technical University
: 4435 N. Chestnut Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80907
: 719 598 0200
Since its founding centuries ago, Colorado Technical University (CTU) has helped thousands of students achieve their educational and employment goals in dozens of fields. CTU has always prioritized providing industry-relevant degree programs to fulfill the needs of students seeking jobs and employers seeking a well-educated workforce.
The university is famous for its excellent online MS in Computer Science programs. Computer science and software engineering, security, and database management systems are part of the depth at the university.
- To be successful in the MSCS program, students must have prior basic knowledge in the main computer science areas.
- Students must demonstrate proficiency by passing the foundation course with a score of at least 70%.
- Students must complete 48 credit hours in total, including 24 hours of core classes, 20 hours of focus credits, and a 4-credit capstone project.
- Online courses are computer networking, design, and analysis of algorithms, modern operating systems, computer systems security foundations, and systems engineering approaches.
Standout Feature of The Colorado Technical University’s Online Master in Computer Science Program:
The computer science master’s online degree program at Colorado Technical University offers students specialized in computer systems security, database systems, or software engineering.
CTU houses a world-class cybersecurity program and is the best in the country. It is also one of Colorado Springs’ four NSA-certified universities.
North Carolina State University at Raleigh
: 2831 Thurman Drive, 1000 Harris Hall, Raleigh, NC 27695
: 919 515 2011
Consider and act. NC State began as a land-grant university with a focus on agriculture and engineering. They are now a major public research university that excels in a variety of fields. NC State is a scientific, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) powerhouse.
North Carolina State University is currently a top-ranked public university that provides an online master’s degree in computer science taught by award-winning academics with relevant industry expertise.
- You must present a recent GRE score and have a minimum GPA of 3.0 as an undergraduate admitted to North Carolina State University’s online Master of Computer Science program.
- Several National Science Foundation, IEEE, and other fellowship winners are among the professors available for the online Master of computer science at NCSU.
- It is a terminal professional degree with 31 credits and a completion time of six calendar years.
- The GRE is required for admission, but no thesis, final exam, or on-campus residency is necessary to complete the 31-credit-hour degree program.
- Design and analysis of algorithms, Computational applied logic, graph theory, introduction to computer performance modeling, operating systems fundamentals, and software engineering are all taught entirely online.
Standout Feature of NC State University’s Master of Computer Science:
Students have the same access and rights as on-campus students, and they are encouraged to engage fully with their professors and peers. In most cases, professors record their lectures on-campus for online students to watch and feel part of the class. As a result, online students will have the same material and prerequisites as any other graduate student.
On-campus courses are available to MCS-DE students if they choose and are able. Whether the student goes on campus or via distance education, the diploma and transcript show that the degree is merely a Master of Computer Science.
For many years, the university required each student to participate in military training through the ROTC program. It was a vital component of their college experience. The Faculty Senate at NC State, on the other hand, voted in 1964 to repeal mandatory ROTC. The state university system’s board accepted the adjustment the following year, ending all NC State students’ military compulsory training days.
ROTC has maintained a robust program based on volunteer involvement that is still functioning today. As a result, more general military officers have graduated from NC State than any other non-service academy.
: 2400 N Sheffield Ave, Chicago, IL 60614
: 312 362 8300
DePaul Institution is a Chicago-based private Catholic research university. The Vincentians founded the university in 1898 and are named after the 17th-century French priest Saint Vincent de Paul.
Several of the university’s programs have become well-known, including Master’s in Science degrees. While the college provides one of the best educations available, applicants should expect to pay a premium price.
- DePaul University provides a 52-credit hour, quarter-based Master of science in computer science degree online.
- DePaul accepts four entrance dates per year for students with a least 2.5 undergraduate GPA on a 4.0 scale and bachelor’s degree from an authorized institution.
- While the institution does not require professional experience or letters of recommendation, you may use them to strengthen your application.
Standout Feature of DePaul University Online Master of Science in Computer Science Program:
The online MS in Computer Science degree provided by DePaul University’s College of Computing and Digital Media is similar to the on-campus curriculum. It does not require a background in computer science, making it a viable alternative for those who wish to enter the sector for the first time.
DePaul University is the country’s most prominent Catholic university and the country’s 13th largest private, non-profit university. It is also the Midwest’s most famous private, non-profit college, where the university and its students have spent more than a century steeped in Chicago’s cultural, civic, and professional experiences.
Arizona State University
: 1151 S. Forest Ave. Tempe, AZ 85281
The Territorial Normal School at Tempe was founded on March 12, 1885, by the 13th Arizona Territorial Legislature, which approved an act to establish a regular school to train teachers for the Arizona Territory.
Despite its size, ASU strives to tailor every student’s experience and is known for providing limitless options for achievement. Many academic departments and programs of study are strong at the institution.
- In the last 60 credit hours of a four-year undergraduate degree, applicants need a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00. If you earned your degree in the United States, it must have come from a regionally approved university.
- Students should be familiar with several programming languages, including but not limited to C/C++, Java, Python, and HTML. However, you can take the necessary knowledge examinations if you don’t have these topics on your transcript.
- The ASU MCS Online diploma is a non-thesis program that entails 30 hours of coursework.
Standout Feature of Arizona State University Master of Science in Computer Science:
Arizona State University’s Master of Science in Computer Science is an interactive program that is rigorous and flexible in its delivery. It has a mix of hands-on projects and lectures that educate students for careers in programming, database administration, software development, web design, and other fields.
ASU offers various support services and resources to online students, including library databases, career and academic advising, disability services, military/veteran support, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Computer Science?
Computer science is about information at its most basic level: how to represent, store, convey, modify, comprehend, and use it.
Information is a precious commodity, and there is a burgeoning industry dedicated to making sense of it, from creating personalized advertisements on social networking sites to spotting market patterns.
The computer scientist’s role in this process is discovering new ways of thinking about the information and what you can do with it, not merely designing computer programs to execute a specific task (although this can be a substantial part of what computer scientists do). Other fields of science and engineering and the arts, social sciences, and business may be affected significantly.
Thinking about problems from a computational standpoint has resulted in significant new insights in various fields, allowing us to:
- Extrapolate key features from massive datasets, such as those generated during the search for gravitational waves.
- Develop novel cancer medicines.
- Learn how the brain works by analyzing artificial neural networks and applying what we know about information processing to develop computational theories of the mind.
- Analyze data from social media and mobile devices to understand people’s movements and motivations better.
- Model and analyze business processes to learn how to make a company’s operations more efficient.
- Detect and correct security problems in computational systems ranging from trip cards to voting machines.
So, at its most basic level, computer science is concerned with the comprehension, analysis, and design of information processing systems. It is a multi-faceted, sophisticated process that might include quantitative analysis, engineering, human issues, and ethical concerns. To learn more about it, earning a master’s in computer science degree is a great idea!
What is an online Master’s of Science in Computer Science program?
Computer science online Master’s degrees often need 30 to 50 credits and a thesis, research project, or full test. Computer and network security, information management and analysis, natural computing, software systems, machine learning, and natural language processing are all included in these studies.
Concentrations, which include elective courses, are frequently chosen by students. Furthermore, some programs may allow students to choose between completing a thesis or a non-thesis trip.
Most importantly, some parts of this program give students a strong foundation in computing and programming, equipping them for advanced computing vocations or research. Especially beneficial to those pursuing a doctorate in computer science.
They must write a thesis after receiving their Master’s degree to get academic research and writing experience. Students who aim to enter the job market after graduation, on the other hand, may choose a course that does not require a thesis.
What are the expected courses for a Master of Science in Computer Science degree?
Design and Analysis of Algorithms
Dynamic programming, divide and conquer, and local and global search are among the concepts covered in this class. Learners also consider recurrences, lower limits, and NP-completeness in their studies.
Operating Systems Principles
This course includes process scheduling and coordination, deadlock, memory management, and distributed system elements. Students will leave the program knowing how operating systems work and the numerous components of their creation.
Students will begin to learn how to build and develop software over its complete life cycle in this course. It also educates degree-seekers on the industry’s top software engineering methods. Among the topics students cover are cost and schedule estimation, risk management, technical reviews, design, coding, testing methodologies, and reliability estimation methods.
Students will learn about artificial intelligence and AI programming languages such as LISP and PROLOG in this course. Logic, natural language processing, and robotics are among the topics covered by students.
Among topics covered by degree, candidates are protocol principles, wide area networking, quality of service principles, error control coding, and media access control. Students will also learn everything about networking simulation and security.
Is online MS Computer Science worth It?
Anyone with a master’s degree in computer science knows how time and money-intensive it is. If you already completed your bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related profession, you may be thinking if it’s worthwhile to continue your education.
Computer science degrees are a fantastic alternative to a career in computer science. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), 3,200 new openings per year are expected to become available between 2020 and 2030.
So, yes! Online computer science programs are well worth the investment. Here are a few examples:
To begin with, the age of intensive computing provides us with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to change the way we learn. Unlike traditional learning methods, the online learning platform provides students with more capability. The majority of universities do not distinguish between online and on-campus degrees.
In this way, online courses make a significant contribution to the educational scene. Many colleges provide online education that is specifically tailored for students to graduate in their preferred learning style.
When it comes to advancing your profession, an online master’s degree can help you save time and money. You can earn your degree while working. Most employers regard an online master’s degree as equivalent to a typical master’s degree in computer science.
To have your Master’s degree, all you need to look for is college accreditation and the courses and learning styles offered by the college.
Finally, determine how much you can expect to spend on your courses before concentrating on how much you could earn.
An online Master of Computer Science degree is a popular choice, and for good reason. A computer science master’s degree is the ideal degree for almost any computer science field. Graduate programs in a Master of Computer Science degree can contribute to career advancement in management or leadership positions.
Need an affordable program? The 25 Most Affordable Online Master’s in Computer Science (MCS) Grad Schools