The evolving structures of businesses and organizations require a competent hand that steers them to efficiency, increased productivity, and eventual success. Those who want to navigate this highly specialized expertise can acquire knowledge and skills through a good online degree in occupational behavior and development.
In the US, many universities offer a master’s degree in this field. While it shares many similarities with business and management programs, a master of occupational behavior and development often draws from psychology and sociology to study and understand the ways people act within groups. The goal is to help businesses and organizations operate effectively and efficiently.
Students who pursue this graduate degree are expected to join diverse global organizations, both corporate and non-profit, as consultants, executives, and high-level managers. There are also opportunities to set up their firm, which makes their career path wide-ranging.
We have gathered The 10 Best Online Master’s of Occupational Behavior and Development Graduate Schools. To help you choose the online graduate program that best suits your needs, we highlight all the outstanding features that are common to all of these schools:
- Online or blended (on-campus and online) format, allowing adult learners to attend and complete their classes their career or personal schedules uncompromised,
- An online coursework that focuses on advanced principles of Psychology, Business, Education, and Public Policy as applicable to particular behavioral fields,
- Taught by industry experts,
- Readily available virtual tools and online resources to ensure an effective delivery of the distance learning coursework,
- Financial aid, scholarships or grants for students who qualify,
- Accreditation from academic authorities and related associations.
Best Master’s in Occupational Behavior and Development Graduate Schools
: 5700 College Road, Lisle, IL 60532
: (866) 295-3104
Founded in 1887, Benedictine University is strongly committed to quality education by providing career-focused programs offered fully online. It boasts 23 graduate degrees, one of which is the online Master of Management and Organizational Behavior.
- The online Master of Management and Organizational Behavior requires students to render 30 credit hours for program completion.
- This 100% online graduate program is available in both accelerated and traditional formats. It accommodates busy professionals who want to pursue a graduate degree despite their hectic schedules.
- Industry pioneers developed the Master of Management and Organizational Behavior program, lending credence to its quality and excellence.
- This program does not require application fees.
- One’s professional experience is taken into consideration, allowing students to waive up to four courses.
- Students don’t need to submit GRE/GMAT scores.
Standout Features of the Benedictine University’s Online Management and Organizational Behavior Program:
As part of their effort to accommodate working professionals, the Master of Management and Organizational Behavior online program offers six sessions every year, allowing students to take up to 24 credits per year. True to its commitment to quality distance learning, each student is entitled to a customized Curriculum Planner for this degree program. They are also free to set up an appointment with an advisor via phone whenever they require assistance.
Benedictine University has been around for more than a century. They consistently achieve high rankings, demonstrating their standard of educational quality. In 2018-2019, Forbes named them one of America’s Top Colleges, which they have won for eight consecutive years. The university also runs a successful partnership program with corporate organizations, allowing employees to pursue their advanced education fully online while saving 25% from tuition fees.
The University of Texas Dallas
: 800 W. Campbell Rd., Richardson, Texas 75080
: (972) 883-2111
As one of the top public universities in the country, the University of Texas at Dallas spans eight schools. It has more than 140 undergraduate and graduate programs centered around innovative education and research. Much of its decorated history was dedicated to creating better higher education opportunities for North Texas before becoming one of the most esteemed public research universities.
- The University of Texas at Dallas’ online Master of Leadership and Organizational Development program completion requirement amounts to 36 credit hours, including 12 hours of core organizational behavior courses and 24 hours of supplemental courses.
- Students who want to enroll in this program must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and at least five years of work experience.
- The program can be completed in two years, with a total of 6 semesters.
- Qualified applicants are eligible for federal financial aids.
- The online graduate program is offered under the Naveen Jindal School of Management.
Standout Features of University of Texas at Dallas’ Online Master of Leadership and Organizational Development Program:
The enrollees of this program can attend regular Expert Forums tackling a variety of relevant subjects for free. This program provides graduates with a diploma for Master of Leadership and Organizational Development and an academic certificate in Transformational Leadership, as the curriculum fulfills both requirements.
The University of Texas at Dallas is not only known for academic excellence. The institution has a rich string of traditions that contribute to its vibrant campus culture, including the Ring Ceremony where students participate in dunking their class rings into the circular pool under the trellis and the Weeks of Welcome, an annual series of events celebrating the arrival of new students.
Abilene Christian University
: 650 Maryville University Drive St. Louis, MO 63141
Known for its vibrant virtual community, Abilene Christian University heavily invested in educational innovation. The university has been included in the 2020 and 2021 rankings by both the US News and World Report, topping the list in the student success benchmark.
- The Abilene Christian University’s online Master of Science in Organizational Development program is designed for busy professionals with its focused yet flexible study plan.
- The program requires 36 credit hours, which can be completed in an average of 24 months.
- The online Master of Science in Organizational Development program is offered through the School of Professional Studies.
- Students who want to enroll in this graduate program need to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Some of the core courses are Leading and Organizational change, Organizational Behavior, and Training and Development.
Standout Features of the Abilene Christian University’s Online Master of Science in Organizational Development Program:
One of the program’s primary focuses is leadership and conflict resolution. Its rigorous academic requirements help mold students to be future leaders in various organizations, making them key players in their respective career paths.
Abilene Christian University prides itself in fostering a healthy environment where students can grow academically and thrive in their communities. It is composed of 7 schools and colleges, spanning 164 areas of study. Their commitment to student success is apparent in the overwhelming number of employed graduates six months after completing their degrees.
Southern New Hampshire University
: 2500 North River Road Manchester, NH 03106
: (888) 387-0861
Established in 1932, Southern New Hampshire University accommodates more than 3,000 campus students and a staggering 135,000 online students, making it one of the country’s fastest-growing higher learning institutions. It also holds the distinction of providing affordable and accessible education, both on-campus and online.
- SNHU’s online Master of Science in Organizational Leadership program comprises 12 courses, including six core leadership courses, three leadership electives, and three business electives.
- The 36-credit hour program allows interested students to apply anytime and determine the outcome within days of requirement submissions.
- Applicants don’t need to submit GRE or GMAT.
- The university allows up to 12 graduate credit transfers.
- Students can enjoy flexibility with self-paced learning and 24/7 access to online course materials.
- On average, students complete this program in as short as 15 months. They can also choose to finish it at their own pace.
Standout Features of the Southern New Hampshire University’s Online Master of Science in Organizational Leadership Program:
The online Master of Science in Organizational Leadership program, along with its concentrations, is officially accredited by the ACBSP or the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs. Those who want to expand their career path to human resources can receive additional qualifications, including certifications from the HR Certification Institute (HRCI) and the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). They can also earn a graduate certificate in human resource management.
The US News & World Report bestowed Southern New Hampshire University with “Most Innovative” regional university honors each year since 2015. It had also received recognition from the online Learning Consortium as a Digital Learning Innovator in 2017.
Johns Hopkins University
: 1717 Massachusetts Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20036
: (222) 452-1940
As one of the most prestigious higher learning institutions globally, Johns Hopkins University is the first truly American university based on the European model. Its Krieger School of Arts and Sciences has been offering advanced academic programs emphasizing knowledge application and problem-solving.
- The Johns Hopkins University’s fully online Master of Science in Organizational Leadership program requires completing nine core courses and one elective course.
- Students must complete the courses within two years, with entry terms in fall, spring, and summer.
- The program emphasizes workforce development, strategic planning, human resources, performance evaluation, and conflict resolution, among others.
- The university accepts applications year-round for fall, spring, and summer admissions.
- Students can choose among five elective courses to complete their requirements, including Managerial Economics and Portfolio Management.
Standout Features of Johns Hopkins University’s Online Master of Science in Organizational Leadership Program:
The faculty at Johns Hopkins University’s Master of Science in Organizational Leadership program are industry thought leaders whose experience in relevant fields like project management, servant leadership, and change management are valuable. Students can also expect mentorship from their faculty advisor, guiding students to choose courses with maximum impact.
Johns Hopkins University’s Krieger School of Arts values working professionals and their pursuit for further education by accommodating their busy schedules. Courses for master’s degree programs can be completed in the evening, on weekends, and even online.
: 24255 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, CA 90263
: (310) 506-4100
Headquartered in Malibu, California, Pepperdine University is home to Graziadio Business School. It is known for its dedication to shaping future business leaders through its rigorous and first-rate business programs. The school has produced more than 43,000 alumni in 77 countries.
- Pepperdine University’s online Master of Science in Organization Development is a hybrid and part-time program designed for experienced professionals.
- Students are encouraged to complete an applied research project in areas specific to their interests.
- Opportunities to build their network among 40,000 outstanding professionals globally await interested enrollees.
- The program, composed of 40 units including six experiential courses, can be completed in two years.
- Students are not required to hand in GMAT or GRE.
- As a cohort-based program, the Master of Science in Organization Development requires six face-to-face sessions, each lasting between 8 to 11 days.
Standout Features of Pepperdine University’s Online Master of Science in Organization Development Program:
The global perspective on strategic change is at the core of the Master of Science in Organization Development program. Students are expected to devote half of the program to studying abroad, including Japan, France, California, Costa Rica, and Washington DC. They have to undergo intensive face-to-face courses on top of gaining valuable field experience at leading businesses, Fortune 500 companies, and government agencies.
Pepperdine Graziadio Business School consistently ranks among the best universities for business programs, recognitions from US News, Forbes, and CEO Magazine. They are committed to providing experiential learning beyond borders with their study abroad excursions and hybrid programs. Additionally, they have a large network, having 47 partner universities in 25 countries.
Eastern Michigan University
: Ypsilanti, MI, USA 48197
: (734) 487-1849
Since 1849, Eastern Michigan University has been one of the country’s top-notch learning and research institutions. They offer a wide array of academic programs, including 150 graduate degrees and certificates.
- Eastern Michigan University’s Master of Science in Human Resources and Organizational Development requires students to complete 42 credit hours, including 12 credits of prerequisites or foundational courses.
- Students are also required to complete 12 hours of elective courses, with various Communication and Organizational Effectiveness, Staffing Organizations, and Organization Design and Technology.
- The program can take two years to be completed, but since it is available in both full-time and part-time formats, the length of study varies from student to student.
- Students can avail themselves of the program in three ways – evening classes at the College of Business, online, or hybrid.
- The Eastern Michigan University is currently offering GMAT/GRE waivers for this program.
Standout Features of Eastern Michigan University’s Online Master of Science in Human Resources and Organizational Development Program:
The online Master of Science (MS) in Human Resources and Organizational Development from Eastern Michigan University was recently awarded the highest honors in the 2021 LEAD Awards, recognizing the “courses and programs that improve leadership and organizational development.”
Eastern Michigan University consistently ranked in various awards and recognitions, including Best in the Midwest by The Princeton Review for 18 consecutive years. It holds the distinction of being the 3rd highest ranked “Military Friendly” university.
Saint Joseph University
: 5600 City Ave. Philadelphia, PA 19131
: 610 660 1000
Online Master of Science (MS) in Organizational Development and Leadership
Established in Philadelphia, Saint Joseph University is committed to helping students prepare for personal excellence and professional success. It includes 55 undergraduate majors and 55 graduate programs among its academic offerings.
- Saint Joseph University’s Master of Organizational Development and Leadership program is offered through the Haub School of Business.
- Students have three format options to choose from – online, on-campus, and hybrid formats.
- Overall, the program requires 36 credits to be completed.
- Full-time students can earn the program in 24 months, allowing them nine credits per semester. Those who will attend the program part-time can take on six credits every semester and take longer to complete the graduate degree.
- Students that wish to enroll in the Organizational Development and Leadership graduate degree program are required to have an average of 8 plus years of post-graduate work experience.
Standout Features of the University’s Online Master of Organizational Development and Leadership Program:
The Master of Organizational Development and Leadership Program from Saint Joseph University offers a host of discount opportunities, including a 10% alumni discount. Students can also avail of discounts if their employer is an Edcor or a Bright Horizons EdAssist member.
Saint Joseph University was recently ranked number 8 out of 176 institutions in the Regional Universities North category for the 2021 US News and World Report’s Best Colleges. The Middle States Commission accredits the university on Higher Education and Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
University of Denver
: 2150 E. Evans Ave., Denver, CO 80208
: 303 871 2291
One of the country’s top-ranked higher learning institutions, the University of Denver, offers continuing education programs for working adults. They have launched the University College to accommodate those who want to pursue advanced degrees while juggling their professional careers. The graduate school is hosting 3000 students with an average age of 34.
- The University of Denver’s Master of Organizational Development program is available in both the evening and online format.
- Students are not required to submit GRE or GMAT for admission applications.
- This graduate degree program can be earned after completing 48 credit hours and 12 courses, including five core courses, four concentration courses, and three elective courses.
- On average, this program can be completed in as few as 18 months. Students who prefer self-paced learning might devote up to 5 years to complete the degree.
- Currently, the university is waiving the application fees so that interested students can apply to this program for free.
Standout Features of the University of Denver’s Online Master of Organizational Development Program:
Educational value is at the forefront of University College’s mission. Students are eligible for federal student loans and other financial resources. There are also available scholarships based on merit, financial need, and other relevant criteria.
Around 90% of students at the University of Denver’s University College hold full-time jobs while pursuing their graduate degrees. The online and evenings formats ensure this is possible.
: 430 S. Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60605
: 312 341 3500
For more than 75 years, Roosevelt University prides itself on promoting innovative approaches to learning. They have the ideal student size, with faculty to student ratio at 11:1. With more than 120 degree programs across six colleges on offer, the university demonstrates its commitment to academic excellence.
- Roosevelt University’s Master of Organizational Development program requires students to complete 12 foundational courses, amounting to 36 credit hours.
- One of the major requirements to earn the degree is the master’s portfolio, a means through which students can establish their competency.
- The program, offered under Walter E. Heller College of Business, can be completed either full-time or part-time.
- It is important to note that a graduate course can only be repeated once.
Standout Features of Roosevelt University’s Online Master of Organizational Development Program:
The program has produced outstanding graduates that land jobs in promising organizations, including Fortune Brands, American Airlines, LinkedIn, Motorola Solutions, Rotary International, and Citizens Bank.
Roosevelt University considers activism as one of its hallmarks, demonstrating a strong commitment to social justice, acceptance, and inclusivity. About 25% of their student population are Hispanic or Latinx, while 19% are African Americans. They also boast 47.1% of undergraduate students who are Pell Grant eligible.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does the Occupational Behavior and Development field encompass?
Also commonly known as Organizational Behavior and Development, this discipline looks closely into the actions and attitudes of individuals and groups, allowing managers to identify problems, find solutions, and motivate individuals to change their behavior. The aim is to increase individual performance through innovation and flexibility, which greatly contributes to the effectiveness of the organization.
Based on behavioral science knowledge, this study builds upon a succession of approaches analyzing how people think and act in a professional setting. These findings help one effectively manage employees to achieve the goals of an organization.
The occupational behavior and development field also draws from other disciplines, including sociology, psychology, communication, and management. However, Organizational Behavior and Organizational Development may be put in entirely separate degree programs.
What is an online Master of Occupational Behavior and Development program?
An online Master of Occupational Behavior and Development degree is a graduate program focusing on understanding the behaviors of individuals, teams, and systems. The program’s primary aim is to equip graduate students with skills and knowledge across various pressing issues surrounding organizational development. Students are expected to draw from their real-world experiences and develop effective interventions integral in improving the functions of businesses, governments, and other organizations.
There are occupational behavior and development programs with concentrations in micro-organizational behavior, sociology, and psychology. Despite the differences in study tracks, the core foundation of the program remains the same – applying and transferring behavioral science knowledge to develop, improve, and reinforce strategies and processes that lead to the effectiveness and efficiency of an organization.
This is done by studying human behavior within the organization setting and identifying those who exhibit leadership, initiative, and other key behaviors. This understanding is helpful in the development of the organization’s operations strategies, ensuring that these align with the workforce’s behavioral strengths. The growth of the business goes hand in hand with rising employee satisfaction rates.
Who can pursue a graduate degree in Occupational Behavior and Development?
Most universities have laid out admission requirements for those who want to complete a degree program in Occupational Behavior and Development. A bachelor’s degree in relevant studies is often encouraged, ranging from social sciences, businesses, sciences, and engineering. Some institutions require a strong academic record, along with GMAT scores.
Undergraduate students interested in broadening their skills to open doors for a career in any field can consider taking up an online Occupational Behavior and Development graduate degree. This program equips them with knowledge and skills that apply to almost every industry. Working professionals can expand their expertise and learn leadership styles and human resources competencies through this program.
Is an online graduate degree in Occupational Behavior and Development worth it?
There are a lot of advantages to pursuing an online graduate degree in Occupational Behavior and Development. For one, it allows students and working professionals to excel in varied and numerous career paths. They can be qualified to take on leadership roles in organizations or work with many flexibility and independence as consultants.
No matter which path one will take, the bottom line is that they will acquire valuable skills that lead to understanding human behavior, applying this knowledge in organizations, and achieving important goals. This graduate degree program offers a wealth of opportunities to advance one’s career, enhance credentials, and get good leverage when it comes to competitive salary and compensations.
What is the career path of those who pursue a Master’s in Occupational Behavior and Development?
Completing this master’s degree program gives one a solid foundation to pursue careers in executive-level consulting, human resources, business ownership, and administration. It can further students’ expertise in their chosen field, whether they aspire to be consultants, executive coaches, or even university instructors.
Others can also carve a career for themselves as training and development managers. This position allows them to earn around $115,640 per year or $55.60 per hour. They can also become training and development specialists, planning and administering programs to improve employees’ knowledge and skills.