Find your perfect college degree
In this article, we will be covering...
Earning a master’s degree in Training & Development can be a great step towards a lucrative and meaningful career in almost every industry, from corporate and healthcare to government agencies and nonprofit organizations.
Many training and development programs offer specializations. It can be in Management of Training and Development, Human Resource Management, Business Administration, or Instructional Design in Online Learning.
- Best Grad Schools with Online Doctorate in Training and Development
- Best Online Master’s of Occupational Behavior and Development Graduate Schools
- Most Affordable Master’s in Education (M. Ed. or Ed. M.) Grad School Degrees
- Most Affordable Online Master’s in Education (M.Ed., Ed.M.) Grad School Programs
Many universities and colleges in the country offer a master’s in training development online. This makes it easier for working training and development professionals to pursue their master’s degrees and boost their earning potential. The Labor Statistics data puts the median annual salary of training and development specialists at $63,080. Other popular careers in the field include training and development managers, human resource professionals, program directors, and more.
If you want to achieve career advancement in human resources and related fields, then the online master’s in training development is just for you.
Various organizations are increasingly seeing the importance of Training and Development, as well as its direct connection to their success, and the need for competent training and development specialists that can fill this need continues to increase. To excel in this fast-growing field, students are well-served to get the best preparation and education they can get.
We can help you fill this need! We’ve put together a list of the best graduate schools that offer online Master’s in Training and Development programs, based on the following criteria:
- Offered primarily online, either in synchronous or asynchronous formats,
- Features cutting-edge, engaging, and relevant curricula covering key skills and content areas in Training and Development and cater to industry needs,
- Taught by faculty who have the relevant expertise as industry experts and practitioners,
- Offer a range of financial aid options that let students manage the cost of their tuition,
- Hold the relevant accreditation credentials.
Best Online Master’s in Training Development Programs
North Carolina State University
Considered one of the world’s leading public research universities, North Carolina State University has remained committed to providing world-class teaching and research since 1887. It currently enrolls more than 37,800 students across over 300 undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- This 36-credit-hour program is designed for professionals working as trainers, instructional designers, and program managers across various industries.
- Students in this program are expected to acquire knowledge and skills in human resource development, program design, development, and management.
Standout Features of North Carolina State University’s Online Master of Training & Development Program:
Built with working adults in mind, the Master of Training & Development program is committed to improving human performance in organizations. It is the only graduate program of its kind in North Carolina.
Did You Know?
As a comprehensive research university, North Carolina State University features 12 colleges and 68 departments. The university is known to excel in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. It is also at the forefront of other disciplines such as social sciences, business, design, humanities, natural resources, veterinary medicine, and teaching and research in agriculture.
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX
Founded in 1876, Texas A&M University is Texas’ first public institution of higher learning. It is located in the heart of the Houston-Dallas-Austin triangle and is home to 69,000 students. Currently, the university offers 133 undergraduate programs, 175 master’s programs, 92 doctoral programs, and five first professional degrees as options for study.
- Master of Education (M.Ed) in Learning Design & Technology at Texas A&M University focuses on leveraging emerging innovative technologies to create effective and engaging learning experiences.
- Students will gain a solid foundation in instructional design, learning theory, and hands-on technology skills.
- This online program utilizes the same rigorous curriculum and expert faculty as its on-campus program offering.
Standout Features of Texas A&M University’s Online Master of Master of Education (M.Ed) in Learning Design & Technology Program:
Part of the division of Learning Sciences, the Master of Education (M.Ed) in Learning Design & Technology degree program is led by an expert faculty interested in the science of learning. Students in this program can benefit from various educational, social, and funding opportunities promoted by the division.
Did You Know?
A Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges-approved school, Texas A&M University awards bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees. This reinforces the university’s commitment to quality education.
West Lafayette, IN
Purdue University is recognized for its historic land-grant mission of providing accessible and affordable education. Purdue Global is built for working adults, offering more than 175 online degree programs, micro-credentials, and certificates.
- The Purdue University MSEd in Learning Design & Technology degree program teaches online students to create effective corporate training programs with proven and up-to-date teaching strategies and materials.
- Students will be able to explore theories and tools that meet organizations’ industry standards for corporate training.
- By the end of the program, students should be prepared to become corporate trainers, instructional designers, e-learning managers, and others and develop abilities to use technology in the corporate training development context.
Standout Features of Purdue University’s Online Master of Science in Education (MSEd) in Learning Design & Technology Program:
The program consists of 12 online courses, equivalent to 32 credits, and may be completed in just over 20 months. Some of the core courses included are Human Performance Technology, Learning Theory and Instructional Design, Learning Systems Design, and Strategic Assessment and Evaluation, among others.
Did You Know?
Purdue University’s online programs are offered through the efforts of several prestigious academic departments. Some of its colleges received awards and distinctions. This includes the College of Nursing, designated as a National League for Nursing Center of Excellence. The Department of Homeland Security and NSA also awarded the College of Technology the national cybersecurity designation.
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO
Colorado State is one of the country’s top public research universities. It has continuously thrived to provide quality academic programs. The five-year average enrollment in the university amounted to more than 33,400 students.
- The Master of Education in Adult Education and Training program offered by Colorado State University utilizes distinct ways to prepare students for a successful career in the ever-changing world of education.
- Students will learn how to build educational programs and teach adults in various delivery formats.
- They will acquire knowledge and skills when it comes to Adult Learning Theory, Instructional Design, Methods of Instruction, Learning Technologies, and Program Assessment.
Standout Features of Colorado State University’s Online Master of Education in Adult Education and Training Program:
This online program features a personal touch within the online learning environment for a richer educational experience. Students can expect assignments that allow them to delve into research and program development areas that align with their personal and professional goals.
Did You Know?
Colorado State University features eight colleges, all dedicated to providing a lifetime of learning and exploration. This includes Agricultural Sciences, Business, Walter Scott, Jr. College of Engineering, Natural Sciences, Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, and more.
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA
Dedicated to changing lives, Louisiana State University provides learning, research, and community engagement. Its student population is more than 35,000. The university is one of 24 universities in the country that hold land-grant, sea-grant, and space-grant destinations.
- Louisiana State University’s Master of Science in Leadership and Human Resource Development program allows students to become skilled organizational development professionals.
- The MS degree is delivered by one of the country’s leading human resources master’s programs, designed for those who want to advance their training development careers in the field.
- The program requires 36 credit hours, covering essential topics such as leadership development, human resources management, human resource analytics, and applied research methods.
Standout Features of Louisiana State University’s Online MS in Leadership and Human Resource Development Program:
The online master’s program focuses on improving effectiveness at a range of professional organizations. Students should be able to help organizations achieve their business and leadership goals and use evidence-based practice to help make lasting organizational changes and contribute to organizational success.
Did You Know?
Louisiana State University’s Online and Continuing Education lead the charge toward innovations in distance learning. The online classes are spearheaded by the same expert instructors who teach on campus. Online students also get to enjoy affordable, flat-rate tuition nationwide.
Eastern Illinois University
With a Higher Learning Commission accreditation and a Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparedness approval, Eastern Illinois University is recognized for its undergrad and graduate programs.
- In the Master’s in Talent Development offered by Eastern Illinois University, students will gain competencies that help graduates create and manage programs meant to maximize the performance of organizational employees.
- The program curriculum development was designed by industry experts providing their input.
- The coursework is all delivered 100% online, making it an ideal choice for working professionals.
Standout Features of Eastern Illinois University’s Online Masters in Talent Development Program:
Expert professionals in the field of talent development determined the program curriculum. They worked with the Association of Talent Development – Chicago Chapter (the world’s largest ATD chapter).
Did You Know?
Eastern Illinois University was among the top Midwest public regional universities. It has numerous education programs accredited by the CAEP.
Midwestern State University Texas
Wichita Falls, TX
Established in 1922, Midwestern State University Texas is one of the 36 public institutions of higher education in Texas. It is known as the only university in the state to become a member of the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges (COPLAC).
- Midwestern State University Texas offers the MA in Human Resource Development with a Training and Development concentration to help prepare students for a lucrative career in training and development and human resources leadership.
- Graduate students will gain a solid foundation in the discipline, enabling them to solve organizational problems.
- The program is offered online, which is a huge help for busy professionals who need more flexibility as they pursue an advanced degree.
Standout Features of Midwestern State University Texas’ Online Master of Arts in Human Resource Development, Concentration in Training and Development Program:
A total of 39 semester hours are needed to earn the degree program. This includes courses such as Communication Skills for Human Resource Development, Instructional Strategies for Adult Learners, Instructional Systems Design, and so much more.
Did You Know?
Midwestern State University Texas makes higher education more affordable and accessible. It offers U.S. non-Texas residents a special tuition rate.
University of Georgia
The University of Georgia is a public, land-grant, research university in the city of Athens, Georgia. It stands out as one of the oldest public universities in the country, having been founded back in 1785.
- The University of Georgia’s Master of Learning, Leadership, and Organization Development (LLOD) degree program prepares students for roles as training and development specialists skilled in bringing about learning and change for organizational success.
- The LLOD degree program contains 33 credit hours in total, with a maximum of 6 transferrable credit hours. The program can be earned in 2 years.
- The program is geared toward mid-career professionals and makes use of experiential learning, real-world-based projects, and a learning community that facilitates the direct application of students’ learnings.
Standout Features of the University of Georgia’s Master of Learning, Leadership, and Organization Development Program:
The LLOD program features a curriculum that focuses on strategic and holistic approaches to nurturing organizations. The program covers a number of key interrelated areas including adult learning, talent management, team development, and more.
Did You Know?
The University of Georgia’s LLOD program is highly ranked among the best Online Master’s in Education programs in the country.
University of Wisconsin – Stout
The University of Wisconsin–Stout is a public university based in the city of Menomonie, Wisconsin. It is a member of the University of Wisconsin System and was founded in 1891. Going by their trademark “Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University”, UW–Stout is one of two specialist universities in the system, in this case offering programs in the fields of industry, technology, applied arts, home economics, and the helping professions.
- The University of Wisconsin–Stout offers a Master of Science in Training and Talent Development, a degree program that prepares students to lead change at organizational, group, and individual levels.
- The program contains a total of 30 credit hours, and online coursework is delivered asynchronously.
- The program also offers a number of professional development certificates in Organizational Development and Consulting, Strategic Leadership in Talent Development, and Workforce Development.
Standout Features of the University of Wisconsin – Stout Master of Science in Training and Talent Development Program:
UW Stout’s polytechnic expertise brings a unique mix of competencies that are designed into this program’s curriculum, including knowledge management, organizational leadership, instructional design, and more.
Did You Know?
The University of Wisconsin–Stout is named not after its home city, as in the case of many other universities, but after its founder James Huff Stout, a businessman and politician. UW Stout was established as a manual training (vocational) school and carries this specialization to this day.
Roosevelt University is a private university in Chicago, Illinois, with a second campus in Schaumburg, Illinois. Roosevelt University is relatively young, having been founded as recently as 1945 by Edward J. Sparling, an educator. Roosevelt University offers a range of undergraduate and graduate programs and currently has a student population of around 6,300.
- Roosevelt University offers a Master of Arts in Training and Development, a degree program that equips students with skills as training and development specialists in the fast-growing field of corporate training.
- Roosevelt University’s MA in Training and Development program contains 12 required courses, adding up to a total of 36 credit hours.
- Courses include Change Management, Training Strategy, Performance Management, and more.
Standout Features of Roosevelt University’s Master of Arts in Training and Development Program:
Roosevelt’s training and development program is one of the earliest, having begun over 20 years ago, and has been fully online for 15 years already. The program is also highly ranked and is designed to bring about active engagement, social connection, and real-world solutions.
Did You Know?
Roosevelt University was initially founded as Thomas Jefferson College but was renamed in honor of President Franklin D. Roosevelt after his death only two weeks after the university’s founding.
University of St. Francis
The University of St. Francis is a private university in the city of Joliet, Illinois. It is affiliated with the Franciscan religious order, and in its early days in the 1920s was a normal institute (a school specializing in teacher training). The university currently has a population of over 3,000 students.
- The Master of Science in Training and Development at the University of St. Francis prepares its students for mentoring roles in corporate, non-profit, human resource, or healthcare fields.
- The program can be completed in as little as 12 months and contains a total of 36 credit hours.
- The program’s capstone course includes developing a portfolio of students’ work-based projects that they can take as proof of expertise to their future employers.
Standout Features of the University of St. Francis’ Master of Science in Training and Development Program:
This training and development program is offered with a number of specialization areas that students can choose from: Business Administration, Health Administration, Human Resource Management, Instructional Design in Online Learning, Management of Training & Development, and a Self-Designed option.
Did You Know?
The University of St. Francis became a university in 1998, after operating as the College of St. Francis since 1930. That same year, the university also started to offer online courses and degree programs.
Boise State University
Boise State University is a public research university in Boise, Idaho. The university started life as a private institution and was established as the Boise Junior College in 1932 by the Episcopal Church, eventually becoming a state college in 1969, and earning university status in 1974. At present, Boise State University has over 24,000 students enrolled.
- Boise State University offers a Master of Science in Organizational Performance and Workplace Learning, a program that develops students’ skills in instructional design, performance-based training and development, and specialized skills like e-learning design and needs assessment.
- The program contains a total of 36 credit hours, and students can choose between completing a thesis or a professional portfolio as a capstone.
- It is a Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities-approved graduate program.
Standout Features of Boise State University’s Master of Science in Organizational Performance and Workplace Learning Program:
Boise State’s MS in Organizational Performance and Workplace Learning is designed to be rigorous and leans on evidence-based practice. The program also uses a real-world projects approach, where students apply their learnings while completing projects for real clients.
Did You Know?
University of Arkansas
The University of Arkansas is a public, land-grant, research university in the city of Fayetteville, Arkansas, and the flagship institution of the University of Arkansas System. It began in 1871 and was then called Arkansas Industrial University before changing to its present name in 1899. The University currently has a population of over 26,000 students.
- The University of Arkansas offers an online Master of Education in Human Resource and Workforce Development Education, a degree program that prepares students with skills that help bring about organizational effectiveness and individual career development.
- The program contains a total of 33 credit hours and is fully online. The program can be completed in 2 years; however, the university allows up to 6 years.
- The program allows up to 6 credits of transfer, and students have to complete a master’s-level statistics course within the University of Arkansas as well as have a minimum bachelor’s degree GPA of 3.0 in order to be considered.
Standout Features of the University of Arkansas’ Online Master of Education in Human Resource and Workforce Development Education Program:
The comprehensive curriculum covers a range of skills in training and organizational development, as well as management development, total quality management, and more.
Did You Know?
The University of Arkansas campus features many interesting historic landmarks, including Spoofer’s Stone, a large chunk of limestone that was unintentionally left behind the campus grounds after the construction of the university’s Old Main building in 1875.
University of Louisville
The University of Louisville is a public research university in the city of Louisville, Kentucky, a part of the Kentucky State University system. It was founded in 1798 and became part of the state university system in 1970. The university currently has around 23,000 students enrolled.
- The University of Louisville’s Master of Science in Human Resources and Organization Development prepares students to lead and guide organizations through change and talent development processes.
- The program contains 30 credit hours, consisting of 18 core courses and 12 electives.
- The program’s core courses include Organizational Analysis, Strategic Human Resources, Evidence-Based Research, and more.
Standout Features of the University of Louisville’s MS in Human Resources and Organization Development Program:
The program’s curriculum is designed to align with Society for Human Resource Management standards. It prepares students for the SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) Examination. The program also aligns with research-based competencies set by the Association for Talent Development (ATD) and the International Society for Performance Improvement (ISPI).
Did You Know?
The University of Louisville holds the title of being the first city-owned public university in the country upon its founding in 1798. It continued to operate as a municipally-funded institute until it became a state university in 1970.
University of Denver
The University of Denver is a private research university in the city of Denver, Colorado. It was founded in 1864 and was then known as the Colorado Seminary, operated as a non-sectarian institution. The University currently has a population of over 13,000 students, and is classified among “R1: Doctoral Universities – Very high research activity”.
- The University of Denver’s Master of Arts in Communication Management, Concentration in Learning and Development is a program that prepares students to effectively facilitate and manage adult learning.
- The program contains a total of 48 credit hours (12 courses) and can be completed in as little as 18 months.
- The program is designed to develop students’ skills in project design, implementation, and assessment, training for diverse audiences, and working with relevant metrics and analytics tools.
Standout Features of the University of Denver’s Master of Arts in Communication Management, Concentration in Learning and Development Program:
Aside from being fully online, the program curriculum is constantly being developed and updated, courtesy of the program’s advisory board made of industry leaders and major employers. The program is Higher Learning Commission-approved.
Did You Know?
The University of Denver also offers Learning and Development as a Graduate Certificate which consists of either 4 or 6 courses.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to complete a master’s degree in Training & Development online?
Generally, master’s programs in training and development tend to require the completion of 30-36 credits. This can usually be done between 10 months to two years.
What are the most common admission requirements to Training & Development graduate programs?
Many universities need interested students to hold a bachelor’s degree in training development or a related field. Others also require work experience and an updated resume. Other supporting documents like official transcripts, letters of recommendation, and personal statements may also be a part of the admission requirements.
- Online Master’s in Training and Development programs are aimed primarily at organizational development and corporate training contexts, where organizations stand to gain from individual employee training and improvements to organizational culture and attitudes toward employee development.
- These online graduate programs vary in design between universities, with some offered as Master of Education programs, while others are designed as Master of Science or Master of Arts degrees.
- Master’s in Training and Development covers a variety of key topics surrounding the needs specific to adult learners, as well as skills in human resource development, program evaluation, learning methodologies, curriculum development, and more.