Find your perfect college degree
In this article, we will be covering...
Earning a master’s degree in forensic accounting opens a door of opportunities for accounting professionals to bring their careers to the next level and increase their earning potential. The main focus of many Master’s in Forensic Accounting programs is on honing online students’ financial investigation skills.
A forensic accounting program curriculum covers the examination of financial statements for false statements, evaluating financial evidence, and assessing fraud risk, among others. They will also learn all about money laundering investigation, cost accounting, fraud prevention, litigation theory, and knowledge on litigation support.
- Best Online Master’s of Accounting Graduate Schools
- Most Common Accounting Jobs and Salaries
- Business & Accounting Jobs You Can Do From Home
There are many universities and colleges in the country that offer some of the best online master’s in forensic accounting programs, giving busy professionals an opportunity to assume leadership positions in the field. Online learning means enjoying flexible schedules that accommodate their career needs and goals.
Quick audio summary:
The field of forensic accounting is rewarding but highly challenging, and students would do well to carefully choose the schools that give them the best skills, training, and preparation.
Let us help you choose! Our picks of the Best Graduate Schools with Online Master’s Degrees in Forensic Accounting were selected based on the following features:
- Delivers coursework primarily or entirely online, giving students flexibility and convenience while they pursue other commitments like their careers,
- Features courses that cover both fundamentals in accounting and/or auditing, as well as courses that develop students’ skills in investigation, fraud detection, and fraud prevention,
- Designed to help students prepare to earn industry credentials, such as CPA and Certified Fraud Examiner credentials, among others, or pursue a doctorate in the discipline,
- Taught by terminal-degree-holding members of the faculty with extensive relevant industry experience,
- and, Holds relevant accreditation credentials for the institutional and/or programmatic level,
Visit our Methodology for more online undergraduate program ranking details.
Best Online Master’s in Forensic Accounting Degree Programs
West Virginia University
West Virginia University is a public land-grant research university founded back in 1867. Currently, the main campus at Morgantown hosts over 5,000 graduate students.
- West Virginia University’s Online MS in Forensic and Fraud Examinations program prepares students to take on fraud, white-collar crime, and the illegal international movement of money.
- The program contains 10 courses, for a total of 30 credit hours, and features an experiential learning-based curriculum.
- There are a number of available Emphasis Areas, which include Business Cybersecurity (Management/Compliance or Technically-Focused), Business Data Analytics, and Management.
- The program also includes preparation programs for the ACFE: Certified Fraud Examiners (CFEs) and the NACVA: Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA) certification exams.
This program is offered by WVU on behalf of the National Institute of Justice of the US Department of Justice, setting WVU apart as a thought leader in the field.
Did You Know?
West Virginia University, recognized by the Higher Learning Commission, is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA).
Liberty University is a private, not-for-profit Baptist university based in Lynchburg, Virginia. Founded in 1971, it currently offers around 366 degrees on campus and around 289 online.
- Liberty University’s MS in Accounting in Forensic Accounting prepares students to help combat fraud, embezzlement, and other financial crimes, in a convenient online format.
- The program contains 30 credit hours and can be completed in around a year.
- The program’s comprehensive curriculum includes grounding in accounting ethics, on top of coursework on crucial forensic accounting skills and processes.
This program helps students meet the requirements for the ACFE’s Certified Fraud Examiner credential exam. This program also goes toward meeting the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Examination requirements if paired with an undergraduate degree in accounting.
Did You Know?
With affordability in mind, Liberty University has frozen its tuition rates for the past 8 years and counting.
New England College
New England College is a private, not-for-profit liberal arts college in Henniker, New Hampshire, and is relatively young, having been founded back in 1946, primarily serving returning servicemen and women who were benefitting from the G.I. Bill.
- New England College’s MS in Forensic Accounting is an interdisciplinary program that builds skills in forensic accounting, investigative techniques, and litigation prep skills on an accounting core.
- The program contains a total of 40 credit hours, with a 24-credit accounting core, and 16 credit hours of Forensic Accounting concentration courses.
- Some of the featured courses include Internal Audit & Risk Management, Business Crime and Ethical Behavior, and Fraud Risk Management and Interrogation.
Given its interdisciplinary curriculum design, students get to develop not only their investigative skills, but also their eye for identifying fraud, their understanding of their future role in the judicial system, and their critical thinking and leadership skills.
Did You Know?
New England College is granted Institutional Accreditation by the New England Commission on Higher Education (NECHE).
Utica University is a private, not-for-profit University dating back to 1946, and until becoming an independent institution in 1995, existed as an extension of Syracuse University.
- As a leading institution in investigating financial crimes, Utica University’s MS in Forensic Accounting develops students’ skills to detect, investigate, and prevent financial crimes.
- The 100% online program contains 30 credit hours and has a 2-year duration.
- The program does not require students to have a Bachelor’s in Accounting degree. Likewise, GRE and/or GMAT scores are not required for application.
The program’s coursework helps students meet the requirements for a CPA license in the State of New York and in many other states. Students can also pursue the Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS) Certification.
Did You Know?
Utica University officially gained its University status and associated name change back in February 2022, previously known as Utica College since 1995.
Carlow University is a private, not-for-profit Catholic University in Pittsburgh, founded back in 1929 by the Sisters of Mercy, a women’s religious congregation originally from Dublin, Ireland.
- Carlow University’s Online MS in Fraud and Forensics consistently ranks among the top programs of its kind in the country and prepares students with the skills crucial not only to accounting and auditing, but also to conducting investigations, crafting policy, and using technology for financial data analysis.
- The program is 14 months long on average and contains a total of 30 credit hours.
- The program also contains an optional track in Cyber Threat Research and Analytics, which focuses on digital financial threats.
The program lets students earn up to 150 hours that go into CPA Exam preparation. The program, also recognized by the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (AICBE), helps students prepare to sit for the Certified Fraud Examiner credential exam.
Did You Know?
Carlow University has existing anti-fraud educational partnership agreements with the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners. The ACFE administers the Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) exam, and the National Cyber-Forensics Training Alliance (NCFTA).
Committed to academic excellence, Strayer University has been helping working professionals and busy students pursue the education they dream of. Currently, it enrolled more than 38,000 students across the globe.
- Strayer University’s Master of Science in Accounting degree program with a forensic accounting specialization is 100% online and trains students to perform audits, evaluate risk, and detect fraud.
- Students can earn this program by completing 12 11-week long courses.
- The core courses include Forensic Accounting, Emerging Auditing Technologies, Fraud Prevention and Protection, Advanced Auditing, and Accounting Information Systems, among others.
This master’s program allows students to take advantage of several financial aid options. This includes the Strafford loans for graduate study, employer assistance, and military benefits.
Did You Know?
Ensuring quality education, Strayer University holds accreditations from four organizations, including the Middle State Commission on Higher Education, SHRM, and ACBSP.
The University of North Carolina at Pembroke
Recognized as one of the top military-friendly universities in the country, the University of North Carolina at Pembroke is a regionally accredited institution that offers affordable and convenient online programs tailored to students’ interests.
- A master of business administration degree program with a specialization in Forensic Accounting is available to busy professionals, preparing them to boost their accounting background with specialized knowledge in financial investigations.
- This 36-credit hour program prepares accounting students to become Certified Fraud Examiners.
- The forensic accounting specialization curriculum covers all types of occupational fraud along with the techniques for prevention and investigation, and foundational courses in business areas like marketing and economics.
This forensic accounting degree online program offers multiple start dates each year to help students better manage their busy schedules and even accelerate the completion of the program.
Did You Know?
The University of North Carolina at Pembroke, considered among the top business schools, is known for its quality Master of Business Administration programs. Apart from Forensic Accounting, the MBA program offers six other specializations, including Supply Chain Management, Financial Services, Business Analytics, and Healthcare Administration.
Bay Path University
Founded in 1897, Bay Path University, a nonprofit university, has been providing practical, affordable, and career-oriented education. It is home to more than 3,000 students and 380 faculty members and appointments.
- The online Master of Science in Accounting has a Forensic Accounting concentration, which is designed for students with prior accounting experience and who would like to transition to a more specialized field.
- Students need to complete coursework equivalent to a total of 30 credit hours in order to earn the degree, covering courses such as Advanced Auditing, Legal Issues in Accounting, Advanced Financial Reporting, and Fraud Examination.
This online master’s in forensic accounting is designed to help students satisfy the 150-semester-hour educational requirements for the Certified Public Accountant licensure.
Did You Know?
As a member of the Women’s College Coalition, Bay Path University offers innovative programs that include undergraduate degrees for women that are completely online accredited bachelor’s degree programs, and the American Women’s College online.
Catering to more than 3,000 students, Tiffin University offers regionally accredited undergraduate and graduate programs in business administration, education, criminal justice, humanities, and arts and sciences.
- The Master of Business Administration in Forensic and Fraud Examination is designed to prepare students for above entry-level positions in various settings, from accounting and auditing firms to the government sectors.
- Students are taught to develop essential skills in identifying fraud, conducting investigations, and reporting crimes.
- At the end of the program, students are expected to implement control policies and procedures to help mitigate fraud from occurring and reoccurring.
The program’s curriculum is tailored to help students qualify for certification as a Certified Fraud Examiner, with many courses utilizing the Association of Certified Fraud Examiner’s Manual. It also includes four courses that match the four sections of the professional CFE certification.
Did You Know?
Tiffin University prides itself in structuring programs to cater to working adults and those on a nontraditional path to a degree. Most of their programs are available online, making it an ideal choice for busy professionals.
Owings Mills, MD
Since its foundation in 1947, Stevenson University remains committed to providing quality education in career-relevant programs. Their degree offerings encompass liberal arts, science, and technology.
- Stevenson University’s Master’s in Forensic Accounting is designed for students pursuing careers in investigative accounting and fraud prevention.
- Students will tackle vital subjects such as assessing fraud risk, evaluating financial evidence, and creating conclusions during legal proceedings.
- The program requires the completion of 36 credits which can be earned in as few as 18 months.
The main focus of the program is to equip students with accounting and auditing skills integral to investigating and analyzing financial evidence, preparing them for positions in public and private practices, corporations, accounting firms, and government agencies.
Did You Know?
Students at Stevenson University can enjoy dedicated one-on-one advising and support from an enrollment counselor. Classes are kept small to help students attain a career-focused education.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the most popular career paths for Master’s in Forensic Accounting graduates?
With an online MS in forensic accounting, forensic accounting graduates have acquired investigative techniques integral to identifying financial crimes. They often go on to work as forensic accountants, certified fraud examiners, financial risk analysts, detectives, and other professionals related to financial forensics and fraud investigations.
What are the common admission requirements for Accounting students who wish to pursue an online MS in Forensic Accounting?
While graduate admissions usually vary from university to university, there are some common requirements that accounting students may take note of. This includes an undergraduate degree in accounting or other programs related to the field, a personal statement, letters of recommendation, GMAT, and official transcripts, among others.
- A forensic accountant is a specialized accounting professional that deals with white-collar crimes, mainly fraud, and other financial crimes.
- Forensic accounting degree curricula typically feature an accounting core, with added coursework on investigation, fraud detection, and fraud prevention, among others.
- Forensic accounting programs also typically include student preparation for earning relevant industry credentials, including CFE and CPA licensure.