Find your perfect college degree
In this article, we will be covering...
A Master’s in Elementary Education degree program is designed for practicing teachers who want to gain practical applications and create a portfolio of experience that demonstrates advanced proficiency.
Its comprehensive curriculum encompasses learning about the development and implementation of a plan of action related to teaching by engaging in the action research process. Students are also taught how to use the appropriate technology and related instruction methods to enhance student learning.
- Best Online Master’s in Education Grad Programs
- Best Online Master’s in Early Childhood Education – Grad Schools
- Best Online Master’s in Curriculum & Instruction Grad Degree Programs
Online Master’s in Elementary Education programs are designed for educators seeking an advantage in the job market and increasing their pay potential. If you are passionate about teaching kids and making a lasting impact, pursuing a master’s degree in Elementary Education is an ideal choice.
A large part of a person’s body of basic knowledge and character building happens in the elementary grade levels, making this a most crucial stage in education. Those who intend to make a meaningful and lasting impact at this crucial life stage should choose the best graduate education they can, which develops their set of advanced skills and approaches as educators.
Let us help you! We’ve put together a list of graduate schools that offer the best Online Master’s in Elementary Education programs. Each graduate degree was selected according to the following criteria:
- Offers their programs online or in a hybrid learning arrangement, which gives students a degree of flexibility,
- Features courses that cover key advanced areas related to Elementary Education to prepare students to earn their professional teaching certifications,
- Prepares students for high-level teaching roles and qualifies them for doctorate programs in Elementary Education,
- Features coursework developed and facilitated by faculty with extensive expertise in the field,
- Offers competitive tuition rates as well as a range of options for financial aid,
- Holds the relevant accreditation credentials from academic agencies that uphold the standards of online graduate programs in Elementary Education.
Check out how our ranking process works. Visit our Methodology page.
Best Online Master’s in Elementary Education Degree Programs
Georgia State University
An enterprising public research institution based in Atlanta, Georgia State University has been providing a rich college experience to students since 1913. It is currently housing 50,000 students from all over the United States and across 150 countries.
To date, the university offers more than 85 online and hybrid degree and certificate programs, making it an ideal choice for those who want to earn a college education while juggling their career and personal responsibilities.
- Georgia State University offers a Master of Education in Elementary Education, a fully online program designed for teachers who want to advance their degree in the field.
- This online master’s degree provides students with instructional capabilities along with pedagogical content knowledge and the mindset integral to serving effectively as teachers.
- Teachers who need to complete an endorsement will be able to do so without the added burden of an extra cost. Students may add two credentials to their certificate, namely the M.Ed. and the endorsement.
- Since all courses are offered online, students will be able to complete the degree program at their own pace.
In this master’s degree, students will be able to choose a concentration to help them better meet their professional needs and goals. Their options include Dual Immersion, Elementary Mathematics, Teacher Support and Coaching, Elementary Literacy, and Elementary Literacy in Reading Recovery.
Did You Know?
The online courses at Georgia State University are designed in close collaboration with the Center for Excellence in Teaching, Learning, and Online Education (CETLOE). The professionals from CETLOE provided guidelines for faculty and students in order to succeed in digital literacy, accessibility, and online resources.
The University of Alabama
Committed to excellence in teaching, research, and service, the University of Alabama broke its enrollment record in 2023, enrolling 39,623 students in the fall semester. It has received the R1: Doctoral Universities – Very High Research Activity status in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
- The Master of Arts in Elementary Education offered at the University of Alabama is offered in a 100% online format, which makes it a convenient choice for working professionals.
- Students are prepared to integrate educational design and inclusive teaching practices with their lessons to help students grow.
- To earn this master’s degree program, students must complete a total of 30-36 credit hours, with core courses including Introduction to Educational Research, Evaluation of Classroom Learning, Early Childhood and Elementary School Curriculum, and Guiding Early Childhood and Elementary Pupil Learning.
Students who complete the program will be able to earn an Elementary Education K-6 certification. Those who have a bachelor’s degree and bachelor’s level certification in Early Childhood Education will be able to earn the Early Childhood Education P-3 certification.
Did You Know?
Many students at the University of Alabama are recipients of prestigious national awards. In fact, a total of 62 students are Goldwater Scholars. The university is also home to 16 Rhodes Scholars, 4 Hollings Scholars, 16 Truman Scholars, and 17 Boren Scholars.
The faculty at the University of Alabama are also achievers in their own right, with 35% of the faculty members having received the NSF Career Awards, one of the nation’s most prestigious recognition for top-performing young scientists.
University of Central Florida
Orange County, Florida
The University of Central Florida is a public research university in Orange County, Florida. It is a relatively young member of the State University System of Florida, having been founded in 1963. Today, it has grown to become one of the largest universities in the country, with a population of over 68,400 students.
- The University of Central Florida’s Online Master of Education in Elementary Education develops teachers into effective and excellent elementary education specialists.
- The program is designed for those who have at least a year of teaching experience and who have temporary or professional certificates for K-6 levels.
- The program also prepares Florida teachers on temporary licenses to pass the Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FTCE) and obtain their professional certificates.
The program’s curriculum includes a number of endorsement & specialization options for certified teachers, including Reading Endorsement, ESOL Endorsement, Gifted Education Specialization, and Exceptional Education Specializations.
Did You Know?
The University of Central Florida was established along with the launch of the United States space program and was intended to serve as a long-term provider of highly trained personnel for the latter.
University of South Alabama
The University of South Alabama is a public research university located in Mobile, Alabama. It was founded in 1963 and took over the various programs that until then were offered by the University of Alabama in the Mobile area. It is currently composed of 10 colleges and schools, which host over 13,400 students.
- The University of South Alabama offers a fully online Master of Education in Elementary Education. This program is designed to provide advanced education primarily for already certified teachers.
- This 30-credit hour program is open to teachers who already hold the Class B Professional Elementary Education (K-6) Certification.
- Students become eligible to earn the Class A Professional Elementary Education (K-6) Certification upon completing the program.
- The program has a 1 to 2-year timeframe, and students can start at any semester.
As a program for already certified teachers, this Master of Education program is designed to continue their professional growth and connect them with other similarly passionate educators and practitioners. Educators from within the State of Alabama also automatically qualify for the Educator Excellence Scholarship.
Did You Know?
The University of South Alabama also offers an online Master of Education in Early Childhood Education, as well as an online M.Ed. in Educational Leadership for Higher Education Administration program.
University of North Dakota
Grand Forks, North Dakota
The University of North Dakota is a public research university in the city of Grand Forks, North Dakota. It was established in 1883 before North Dakota earned its statehood. Aside from being the oldest, it has also grown to become the largest university in the state, organized into ten colleges and schools, which together host a population of over 13,800 students.
- The University of North Dakota’s Online Master of Education in Elementary Education program is ideal for licensed teachers and other education professionals who seek advanced studies.
- The program is fully online, with a total of 30 credit hours. It typically takes 2+ years to complete.
- Classes are asynchronous, using a variety of methods and learning materials.
- The program’s curriculum covers advanced topics in pedagogy and content knowledge and is also designed to deepen students’ understanding of the teaching and learning processes and maximize student achievement.
The University of North Dakota’s M.Ed. program aligns with the standards set by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) and is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
Did You Know?
The University of North Dakota, along with the North Dakota State University, form the anchors of a region called the Red River Valley Research Corridor, a special region dedicated to various research areas, including agriculture & engineering.
Georgia Southern University
Georgia Southern University is a public research university in the city of Statesboro, Georgia, with satellite campuses in the cities of Savannah and Hinesville. It was founded in 1906 and is currently organized into eight colleges offering more than 140 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degree programs, with almost 27,000 students.
- Georgia Southern University’s Online Master of Education in Elementary Education is ideal for current teachers and other education professionals who are looking to elevate their careers.
- This online program is designed for those who hold a renewable Induction or Professional Level 4 Certificate in elementary education or its equivalent.
- The program adds up to a total of 36 credit hours and can be completed within one year.
- This program is designed for the P-5 grade levels.
The program is designed to meet the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (PSC) and meets their certificate upgrade requirements. Its program outcomes are also designed to drive students’ teaching careers forward by making use of diverse, intensive field experiences.
Did You Know?
Drexel University is a private research university in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was established in 1891 and is named after Anthony J. Drexel, a philanthropist and financier. At present, it is one of the major private universities in the state and has over 24,000 students in over 170 degree programs.
- Drexel University’s Online Master of Science in Education: Teacher Certification Track is ideal for those who are looking to earn their state teaching certifications.
- The program is focused on the PreK-4 grade levels.
- The program also includes an add-on Special Education Certification, which students can earn by completing eight additional courses and a Praxis exam.
The program is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation (CAEP). Drexel University also holds various Interstate Reciprocity Agreements, which means students can be eligible to teach at almost any state in the country.
Did You Know?
Drexel University is one of the earliest universities to launch an online/internet-based education program, with their Master’s in Library & Information Science first offered in 1996.
Liberty University is a private university in the city of Lynchburg, Virginia. Founded in 1971, it is among the country’s largest Christian institutions, affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention. The majority of Its population of almost 94,700 students is enrolled in online courses.
- Liberty University offers a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) in Elementary Education. This program prepares students to become not just teachers but role models who make a meaningful lifelong impact on their students.
- The program contains a total of 45 credit hours and can be completed within an average of 2 years.
- The program covers a range of core competencies, including history, the lab sciences, social science, arts, English, and more.
- Liberty University’s MAT in Elementary Education program is accredited by CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation).
The program’s curriculum includes integrated elective credits, which lets students earn a second endorsement in middle, secondary, or special education. As a Christian university, Liberty University also emphasizes integrity and moral development.
Did You Know?
Liberty University also offers a range of other online master’s degree programs related to education, including the MA in Educational Studies, the M.Ed. in Higher Education, and the M.Ed. in Special & Gifted Education – Twice Exceptionalities programs.
Mississippi College is a private university in the city of Clinton, Mississippi. It is a Baptist university and is the oldest higher education institution in the state, having been founded in 1826. It currently has around over 6,300 students.
- Mississippi College’s M.Ed. in Elementary Education is ideal for those who are looking for an education that helps them enrich their instructional practice at the elementary level.
- The program contains a total of 30 credit hours and can be completed in at least ten months.
- After completing the program, students become eligible to apply for upgrading their teaching licenses from Class A to Class AA.
- The program is based on the standards outlined in the Mississippi College and Career Ready Standards, as well as a range of other state-level and national standards.
As a Christian institution, Mississippi College prides itself on its faith-based curriculum that integrates spirituality with the learning and educational processes. The program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
Did You Know?
Mississippi College has its milestone in the annals of the country’s firsts, being the first coed institution to award a degree to a female student (Two female students were, in fact, awarded in the same academic year).
Bay Path University
Bay Path University is a private university in the town of Longmeadow, Massachusetts. It was founded in 1897 in Springfield and is currently known for offering women-focused bachelor’s degree programs, although its graduate degree programs are co-educational. It has a population of over 3,200 students.
- Bay Path University’s MS.Ed. in Elementary Education provides students with an intensive study focused on the Grade 1-6 areas.
- The program has three options: Initial Licensure (for those seeking initial licensure), Professional Licensure, and a non-licensure option.
- The program is offered 100% online, and there are three start dates every year.
- The program also prepares students for the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL).
The choice of program options also lets students pursue other careers in elementary education aside from classroom-based teaching roles.
Did You Know?
Bay Path University is part of the 8-college consortium called the Cooperating Colleges of Greater Springfield, which is made up of accredited colleges and universities.
Founded in 1887, Troy University aims to promote the discovery and application of knowledge and how it can be applied to life-long success through effective teaching, creativity, partnerships, scholarship, service, and research.
Troy University makes efforts to build strategic relationships and partnerships. Some of its partners for excellence include the Alabama World Affairs Council, Center for Public Service, and Small Business Development Center.
- Troy University offers an online Master’s in Elementary Education program to help teachers build on their bachelor’s degree and teaching experience.
- Offered entirely online, the master’s program allows practicing teachers to pursue advanced education without having to go to the campus.
- The master’s degree has an accreditation from the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), ensuring the program meets or even exceeds the field’s highest academic standards.
Students in this online master’s program are required to complete one semester’s worth of teaching internship. This will provide them with essential teaching experience, learning a variety of teaching methods that incorporate technology use and hands-on laboratory experiences.
Did You Know?
Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), Troy University guarantees quality in its faculty, academic programs, financial stability, services, and so much more. This also means that eligible students will have opportunities to avail federal student financial aid options.
Worcester State University
A diverse community of leaders and problem-solvers, Worcester State University is fully committed to academic excellence. It emphasizes the importance of a student-centered learning environment that fosters creativity, scholarship, and global awareness.
- Worcester State University’s online Master of Education in Elementary Education is designed to equip students with the ability to meet the needs of students in grades 1-6.
- Students are expected to gain a broader understanding of educational theories and research, which they can readily apply to instructional practice and policy.
- The master’s program requires students to hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution along with work experience in formal or informal learning environments to be eligible for admission.
A total of 32 credit hours are required to be completed by graduate students to earn this online program. Core courses include Research in Education, Technology and Literacy in the Classroom, Advanced Foundations of Education, and Teaching and Learning Literary Across Multiple Disciplines.
Did You Know?
Students can have ample opportunities to perform cutting-edge, transformative research at Worcester State University, where curiosity and drive are valued. Each year, the university recognizes the accomplishments of hundreds of scholars and researchers during the Celebration of Scholarship and Creativity.
Western Governors University
Western Governors University is a student-centric higher learning institution. This nonprofit online university has been fully committed to providing quality distance education to students in the country and beyond.
It has an accreditation from the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. It is the only university to have received regional accreditation from four regional accrediting commissions, all at the same time.
- The master’s degree in elementary education offered at Western Governors University can help prospective students change careers or pursue their passion for education.
- Students will learn the content knowledge and teaching skills necessary to run one’s classroom and connect with every kind of learner.
- The program helps students prepare for teaching certification across 50 states, allowing them to become teachers wherever they live.
In this program, students are required to take eight professional courses to help them handle various educational situations, with many of these courses focusing on important topics such as social and emotional learning and technology and diversity inclusion in the classroom.
Did You Know?
Western Governors University, true to its name, was founded by 19 US governors. While it is a private university that emerged among the governors of the Western Governors Association, it operates independently with its governance structure. This means the university can keep its focus on the students.
Ball State University
Established in 1918, Ball State University deeply believes in education rooted in creativity, values, and intellectual curiosity. It has grown into a world-class university with acclaimed excellence in programs across a variety of disciplines, including business, communications, education, architecture, fine arts, sciences and humanities, and the health professions.
- Ball University helps prospective students take on new leadership roles on their terms through the Master’s in Elementary Education program.
- This master’s degree can be customizable, allowing students to choose a concentration that aligns with their academic strengths and interests.
- Students can be assured of the program quality as it is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
This graduate program requires the completion of 30 credits. It includes courses such as Basic Concepts in Elementary Education, Education in Diverse Society, Discipline and Classroom Management, Effective Use of Technology in the Classroom, and so much more.
Did You Know?
Ball State University helps students afford their higher education. In fact, 4 out of 5 students qualify for financial aid. The university offers a variety of services and programs designed to help students meet the cost of their college education, from the free FAFSA application to providing other financial aid options like scholarships, grants, discounts, and work-study programs.
Arizona State University
Committed to creating the next generation of leaders, Arizona State University is a highly ranked institution and a member of the Association of American Universities, alongside Harvard, Stanford, and MIT.
It is currently serving more than 100,000 undergraduate students and over 30,000 graduate and professional students. The university offers more than 400 academic undergraduate programs and majors and more than 500 graduate degree programs and certificates.
- Arizona State University helps students become quality educators working with children grades K-8 with its online master’s degree in elementary education.
- This graduate program lets students learn how to create equitable learning environments and use instructional methods for language and literacy.
- To earn the program, students must complete a total of 34 credits, with courses including Creating Equitable Learning Environment, Educator Scholar Community, and Instructional Design, Planning and Assessment, among others.
This degree program trains students to work with elementary-age students in a variety of settings, with the curriculum encouraging them to integrate educational design and decision-making in their lessons while also advancing the promotion of professional growth and leadership.
Students will gain skills such as collaboration, communication, advocacy, classroom management, data literacy, learning design, and so much more.
Did You Know?
As one of the fastest-growing research enterprises in the country, Arizona State University recorded a total of $760 million total research expenditures in 2022. In fact, it ranks sixth among US universities in terms of research expenditures.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to complete an online Master’s in Elementary Education degree?
Typically, this graduate program can be completed in two years. Some universities, however, have fast-track options that allow students to earn it much more quickly.
What are the common requirements for admission into this master’s program?
Students are usually required to hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution. Some may need to meet a minimum GPA requirement and teaching experience. Other requirements may include official transcripts, personal statements, and letters of recommendation, among others.
- Master’s in Elementary Education programs are designed to provide students with advanced knowledge crucial in elementary education levels, typically PreK-6.
- Many Elementary Education master’s programs are designed for those who already have teaching licenses and have a certain number of years of teaching experience.
- Master’s in Elementary Education degrees typically integrate preparation for students to earn higher certifications or license upgrades.