Completing an online Master’s in Counseling degree will prepare graduates for rewarding opportunities in the field of counseling. It will prepare them to work with adults and children on the aspects of mental well-being. With online Master’s in Counseling programs, students explore advanced theories and concepts in sociology and psychology.
The program will also include research and practical aspects to strengthen their skills and enhance their knowledge to start a career in the counseling field. After earning a graduate degree in counseling, graduates can pursue certification or licensure in the related field.
Since mental health is becoming more and more recognized, many people have sought counseling services without fear of judgment or stigma. The need for counseling professionals and therapists is projected to increase. Marriage and Family Therapists have an employment outlook of 22% job growth between 2019 to 2029, while Mental Health Counselors have a career outlook of 25% growth rate in the same period, with both professions indicating a faster than average compared to other professions in the US.
Although online Master’s in Counseling programs have different requirements and curricula per school, most programs have common aspects. If you’re interested in venturing into a graduate study in counseling, here are the ten best online Master of Counseling programs to start your search. We also include the essential information on what you can expect from an online graduate program in counseling.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What can I expect from an Online Master’s in Counseling program?
- How much will I make with a Master’s in Counseling online degree?
- What licenses and certifications can an Online Master’s in Counseling degree prepare?
- What careers can I pursue with an Online Master’s in Counseling degree?
- How can I choose the best Online Master’s in Counseling program suitable for me?
- Best Online Masters of Counseling Graduate Schools
F R E Q U E N T L Y A S K E D Q U E S T I O N S
What can I expect from an online Master’s in Counseling program?
Students can choose between an online Master of Science in Counseling or an online Master of Arts in Counseling degree. The MA degree is primarily considered a terminal degree. On the contrary, the MS degree is a preliminary degree for a doctorate in the counseling field.
If you’re planning to attend an online Master’s in Counseling program, expect to fulfill coursework, electives, and clinical fieldwork requirements. Depending on the curriculum, students can also submit a performance evaluation or final research project as part of the culminating requirements of the counseling program.
Courses in an online Master’s in Counseling program can either have a generalized or a specific content depending on the specialization that students will choose. The types of courses may include psychometrics, psychology research issues, ethical counseling practice, and counseling techniques.
Although online Master’s in Counseling programs often have the same set of courses, other schools offer capstone experience and advanced coursework completion depending on the departmental emphasis and faculty. The majority of online Master’s in Counseling programs will also educate and prepare graduate students for state licensing and professional examinations requirements. Students must also double-check with their chosen graduate school if their counseling program fits their preferences and needs.
How much will I make with a Master’s in Counseling online degree?
Online Master’s in Counseling degree graduates can have a salary within the minimum of $70,000 or higher annually, especially if they work in religious organizations, insurance carriers, or educational support services. However, many factors can affect the earning potential of counselors. Although fresh graduates starting new in their profession will earn lesser, facilities and geographic location of their workplace will also matter. Rural or remote areas may not have the best resources to offer high-level salaries than bigger metropolitan cities. The logic also applies the same to the size of the facilities. Bigger facilities will have the financial means to pay higher wages compared to smaller facilities with limited opportunities.
Another determining factor regarding salaries is the number of years of experience. The more years of professional experience you’ll have, the higher salaries you will receive, especially if you have pursued a specialty in forensics, pediatric, or dual diagnosis. The majority of students pursuing an online Master’s in Counseling degree seek progress in their careers or shift to a different specialization. Graduates can explore more rewarding opportunities in their current roles or pursue a different position in another company that provides them with more opportunities, challenges, or responsibilities.
What licenses and certifications can an online Master’s in Counseling degree prepare?
Online Master’s in Counseling degree graduates can help prepare the following credentials:
Completing and passing the NCMHCE or National Clinical Mental Health Counseling Examination is crucial in obtaining the credentials to become a licensed mental health counselor in the US. The examination mandates students to diagnose and treating clinical issues in ten simulated mental health scenarios, with each scenario broken down into sections. Each case will lead students to offer treatment and decision-making processes. To qualify for the NCMHCE, applicants must have a master’s degree and 3,360 hours of supervised post-graduate professional work experience.
Graduates must pass the National Counselor Examination to become licensed counselors in the United States. The exam comprises 200 multiple-choice questions, evaluating the applicant’s ability to offer efficient counseling and other related services. To be qualified to sit for the NCE, applicants must have a traditional or online master’s in counseling degree and 3,000 hours of post-graduate field experience. 100 out of 3,000 hours must be from a supervised program.
What careers can I pursue with an online Master’s in Counseling degree?
The field of counseling involves a diverse range of professions. Many graduates work in academia as career counselors or in hospitals and other healthcare facilities as clinical counselors. They can also venture into their practices as marriage and family counselors. By completing an online Master’s in Counseling degree and receiving the essential post-graduate credentials and experiences, graduates can pursue a career that is both fulfilling and lucrative.
Genetic Counselors provide support and evaluation for families whose members are at risk of a hereditary condition, including genetic disorders and congenital disabilities. These professionals guide their patients through series of testing and connect them with social support and healthcare services. They can work in different settings, including laboratories, physicians’ offices, and hospitals. A graduate degree in Counseling is required for certified counselors.
Mental Health, Behavioral Disorder, and Substance Abuse Counselors can find employment in various organizations, including public treatment facilities and private hospitals. These professionals diagnose disorders and offer comprehensive one-on-one support to their patients suffering from mental health conditions and related issues like addiction. Mental Health Counselors also connect patients to community services, including career opportunities and outpatient programs. To become a licensed mental health counselor, they must complete a Master’s in Counseling degree or higher.
School Counselors are dedicated to the personal wellbeing and academic success of their students. These professionals can work in any academic setting, from K-12 to institutions of higher learning, depending on the degree they’ve earned. They provide career counseling, community support, and educational guidance. Many school counselors also have the proficiencies to handle instances of child abuse or neglect.
How can I choose the best online Master’s in Counseling program suitable for me?
Like traditional graduate programs, choosing an online Master’s in Counseling program that best fits your preferences and needs is a personal choice. Students can either choose by the degree program or by the graduate school. If you’re particular with the graduate school, find a college or university that offers a 100% online Master of Counseling program. The institution you’ve selected must provide high-quality coursework and electives.
With counseling programs, it’s also an advantage to choose a school accredited by CACREP or The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs. By enrolling in an online Master’s in Counseling program with CACREP accreditation, students are ensured that the degree program they are enrolled in has a high-quality curriculum aligned with industry standards. CACREP-accredited programs will also provide them with everything to preparing them as effective counselors. With CACREP accreditation, graduates can apply for almost any career they want to pursue. The program will give them the reputation and credentials they need when they ask for a promotion or salary increase.
If you’re choosing an online Master’s in Counseling program on its reputation, find a program with the set of courses and electives that you want to take. Returning to school to complete a graduate program in counseling indicates you already have completed many courses. It is recommended that you stay on track. Although you can always pursue a specialty or branch off, you must have a baseline and keep the momentum.
M E T H O D O L O G Y
Because counseling is a field of study and a profession that is ultimately aimed at changing and improving lives, choosing an online master’s program and graduate school is a decision that should NOT be taken lightly! Enroll in top-tier universities in the US offering online Master of Counseling programs that mold students into highly qualified professionals.
The 10 Best Online Master’s of Counseling Graduate Schools in 2021 on our list exhibit these impressive features:
- 100% online or hybrid format of master’s program classes for the convenience of adult students,
- Comprehensive coursework that equips students with advanced technical and soft skills to grow their professional Counseling careers or make that career shift,
- A variety of Counseling concentrations to match the students’ requirement,
- Ensures the use of up-to-date instructional techniques featuring the latest theories and principles of ethical Counseling practice,
- Well-credentialed online instructors with Counseling experience and background,
- Excellent student career services and online support,
- Accredited by academic bodies promoting top-quality online master’s programs,
- Recognized by organizations that promote Counseling as a valuable degree and career track.
The Best Online Masters of Counseling Graduate Schools
Wake Forest University
: 1834 Wake Forest Road, Winston-Salem, NC 27109
: 336 758 5000
Wake Forest University was founded in 1834. It is a private university headquartered in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. WFU is home to a diverse and vibrant community in which on-campus and online students pursue education in one or more of the 60 minors, 45 majors, and various programs within WFU’s six schools and colleges. Wake Forest has accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- WFU’s online Master of Arts in Counseling offers two kinds of graduate degrees: the Online Master in Counseling – Clinical Mental Health and the Online Master in Counseling – School Counseling.
- The 100% online counseling programs will qualify students to take the National Counselor Examination for Licensure and Certification and the Nationally-Certified Counselor.
- Both counseling programs will require 60 credits for degree completion.
- The curriculum of the MAC program features core required courses to provide expertise in eight areas, namely professional orientation, research, and program evaluation, appraisal, career and lifestyle development, group work, social and cultural foundations, helping relationships, and human growth and development.
- Official GRE Writing score, three letters of recommendation, a personal statement, an $80 application fee, and a virtual interview will be required for admission.
Standout Features of Wake Forest University’s Online Master of Arts in Counseling Program:
The Wake Forest University – Master of Arts in Counseling programs have garnered accreditation from the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs. Students pursuing the graduate program in counseling can find and secure an internship program with the university’s network of industry partners. They have also worked in 60+ different schools, mental facilities, and community agencies. MAC graduates of WFU have a 95% passing rate on the NCE or National Counselor Examination.
In 2020, the US News & World Report included Wake Forest University in its list of Top 30 National Universities for 25 years straight. WFU also lands in 24th place for Best Value Schools in the US.
Concordia University Irvine
: 1530 Concordia West, Irvine, CA 92612
: 949 854 8002
The Chronicle of Higher Education has described Concordia University Irvine as one of the rapidly growing private, not-for-profit universities. Considered as a US News & World Report Top Tier Regional University, CUI’s program offerings are distinctive among universities in California due to its nationally recognized Enduring Questions & Ideas Core initiative. The university has a Lutheran heritage that offers a caring and thoughtful Christian community influenced on the theology of “Grace Alone. Faith Alone”.
- CUI’s online Master of Arts in Counseling program is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs.
- The online MAC program includes a 4-day intensive at CUI at the beginning of the semester, where students will connect with their cohort in a guided-process learning experience.
- Depending on the students’ availability, they can either start in the Fall or Spring semester.
- Students will be taking 60 units of courses to complete the program, including six elective courses.
- Students complete one or two 7-week courses at a time, with learning activities that involve 13 to 16 hours weekly.
Standout Features of Concordia University Irvine’s Online Master of Arts in Counseling Program:
The Concordia University Irvine – Master of Arts in Counseling online program is available through the Townsend Institute. Students learn from Dr. John Townsend, a highly regarded master clinician with decades of extensive experience. Students participate in a 3-hour virtual classroom twice a month where Dr. Townsend and an Institute Fellow will personally conduct training. Each student can access exclusive podcasts and training videos made for each course.
Concordia University Irvine is among the Best Colleges/Regional Universities in the West, according to the latest report of the US News & World Report. CUI is a proud member of the Concordia University System, consisting of nine universities and colleges affiliated with The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. Although every institution is unique, all campuses approach education from a Lutheran perspective.
The University of Louisiana Monroe
: 700 University Avenue, Monroe, LA 71209
: 318 342 3145
Established in 1931, ULM is a comprehensive, state-funded institution of higher learning and is part of the University of Louisiana System. The University of Louisiana Monroe has had a variety of online programs for adult learning since 2003. ULM has 33 online undergraduate and graduate programs, ranging from 4-week, 8-week, or 16-week learning formats. ULM also participates in the SREB or the Southern Regional Education Board’s Electronic campus.
- ULM’s CACREP-accredited online Master of Science in Counseling program requires 60 credits for degree completion.
- The 100% online graduate program in Counseling doesn’t include a residency program and features 30 elective courses that students can choose from.
- The 60-hour program has four concentrations: the Combined Option, Addictions Counseling, School Counseling, and Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
- Regardless of the chosen specialization, graduates will be qualified to pursue an LPC licensure.
- Students pursuing the Combined Option must have 75 credit hours to earn their graduate degrees from two areas of counseling.
Standout Features of The University of Louisiana Monroe’s Online Master of Science in Counseling Program:
The Master of Science in Counseling program at ULM has received accreditations from the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation/National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education and the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs. ULM also offers students a combined option of completing a Master of Science in Counseling degree to specialize in two areas of counseling. Should students pursue a School Counseling track, they will be eligible to sit for the LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor) credential.
As a leader in nursing programs, The University of Louisiana Monroe offers the 1st Clinical Nurse Leader program in Louisiana. It is also a consistent school in the Best Colleges/Best National Universities of the US News & World Report ranking. ULM is also recognized as an R3: Doctoral University in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
University of the Cumberlands
: 6178 College Station Drive, Williamsburg, KY 40769
: 877 713 8767
Headquartered in Kentucky, the University of the Cumberlands thrives on providing students with a broad-based liberal arts program integrated with Christian values. In 1888, a group of ministers built a small college in Kentucky and named Williamsburg Institute for educating young adults as servant leaders. In 2005, the school became the University of the Cumberlands and expanded its reach beyond the Appalachian Mountains. Today, the university caters to more than 15,000 students worldwide through distance learning.
- The online Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program offered at UC will provide you with the credentials to become qualified to pursue licensure.
- 48 out of 60 credits are designated for the core coursework in counseling, including Human Growth and Development and Psychological Assessment In Clinical Practice.
- The graduate program will include two 300-hour counseling internships and a 100-hour practicum requirement.
- Students will also complete 12 additional credit hours of specialized courses in one out of four concentrations, namely Advanced Counseling Theories and Techniques, Child and Adolescent Counseling, Marriage and Family Counseling, and Private Practice and Clinical Supervision.
- Upon enrollment, applicants can transfer a maximum of 18 semester hours may be credited from a regionally accredited college or university.
Standout Features of the University of the Cumberlands’ Online Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program:
The Department of Counseling – the University of the Cumberlands receives accreditation from The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs. Since the university is grounded in Christian leadership and principles through service, graduates with a Master’s in Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree can demonstrate compassion and sound ethical values for humanity. They will be ready to pursue licensure and eventually become a counselor-leader.
In 2018, the University of the Cumberlands launched the Cumberlands Commitment, which reduced tuition by 57% to make education accessible for students across all economic backgrounds. In 2019, the university expanded its commitment to include complementary books. Students will no longer find a value like an offer anywhere else in Kentucky. Approximately 97% of students at the University of Cumberlands receive some form of financial assistance.
Indiana Wesleyan University
: 4201 S. Washington St., Marion IN 46953
: 866 468 6498
Formerly known as Marion College, Indiana Wesleyan University is one of the biggest employers in Grant County. It is a comprehensive Christian institution of higher learning of The Wesleyan Church. IWU-Marion has 80+ undergraduate degrees and a growing list of graduate degree programs representing ten foreign countries and over 80 Christian denominations. The university is accredited by one of the oldest accrediting organizations in the US, the Higher Learning Commission.
- IWU’s online Master of Arts in Counseling program is offered through the Division of Graduate Counseling.
- Students pursuing the online MA in Counseling can choose one out of six specializations: Student Development Administration, School Counseling, Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy, Community Care, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, or Clinical Addictions Counseling.
- All counseling specializations are available on a full-time or part-time basis. However, students must complete their degrees within six years from the date of admission.
- As part of the enrollment requirements, students must complete six credit hours of Bible course and six credit hours in Psychology before the core counseling program.
- GRE taken within five years of enrollment to the program is required. Students must have a minimum Verbal score of 146.
Standout Features of Indiana Wesleyan University’s Online Master of Arts in Counseling Program:
Indiana Wesleyan University offers a diverse range of specializations under its online Master of Arts in Counseling program, with two programs accredited by The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs. Since clinical experiences are the foundation of all graduate programs at IWU, the university has its Graduate Counseling Clinics featuring state-of-the-art facilities that provide counseling services to Indianapolis and Marion.
Indiana Wesleyan University receives national recognition for its state-of-the-art IWU-National & Global Adult Education program in 1985. More than 8,000 non-traditional students attend classes through distance learning or education centers in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.
: 100 Washington Avenue South, Suite 1210, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55401
: 844 398 6158
Walden University is one of the frontrunners in distance learning in Minnesota. Since 1970, the university has supported adult students in achieving their educational aspirations through online education. Walden is the 6th institution of higher learning authorized by the US government to provide a direct evaluation of competency-based learning. The educational community hails this Higher Learning Commission-accredited school as a distinctly top-flight online university.
- Walden University offers a General Program and five optional concentrations for its online Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program.
- With a generous transfer policy, the university will accept a maximum of 45 credits as transfer credits from a regionally accredited school.
- Aside from the General Program, students can either pursue a specialization in Trauma and Crisis Counseling, Military Families and Culture, Marriage, Couple and Family Counseling, Forensic Counseling, or Addiction Counseling.
- Regardless of the chosen specializations, all students must complete a 9 to 15-credit Field Experience, consisting of a 600-hour Internship and a 100-hour Practicum.
- Since 2009, the online MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program has received accreditation from The Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs.
Standout Features of Walden University’s Online Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program:
Students pursuing an online Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program at Walden University will be educated and trained by faculty former presidents of the American Counseling Association. They also learn from instructors who are proactive in counseling and are proud members of the ACA. Walden’s Master of Clinical Mental Health Counseling program discovers the different tools for treating, diagnosing, and preventing mental health conditions, evidence-based research, and the latest counseling principles.
From 2016 to 2019, Walden University won six Effective Practice Awards from the online Learning Consortium for its steadfast efforts in making high-quality online education more accessible to any student anytime, anywhere. The university offers two ways to learn, namely Course-Based Learning and Tempo Learning®. With Tempo Learning®, students will have the option to customize and determine their respective programs’ pacing, cost, and length.
West Virginia University
: One Waterfront Place, Morgantown, WV 26506-6009
: 304 293 2121
West Virginia University is a land-grant, doctoral research university with a highly reputable medical school. It is also a space-grant institution of higher learning, a network developed for outer-space research. Acknowledged by the Higher Learning Commission, WVU is one of the four universities that provide a joint natural gas and petroleum engineering ABET-accredited program.
- WVU’s online Master of Science in Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling program requires 63 credit hours for degree completion.
- Although the courses are completed 100% online, it is a low residency program that will require two site visits to the Morgantown campus.
- The curriculum is created and taught by instructors from the College of Education and Human Services.
- Students will attend a 1-day orientation session during their first week of class.
- Depending on the students’ commitment, they can graduate within two years of full-time learning. Part-time students will complete their degrees in three years.
Standout Features of West Virginia University’s Online Master of Science in Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling Program:
West Virginia University’s online Master of Science in Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling program is one of the only 23 programs of its kind in the US. It is a holistic graduate program that provides students with the skills and knowledge to work in diverse counseling settings. It derives its programmatic accreditation from The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs.
In 2018, West Virginia University was named the Research University with the Highest Research Activity R1 in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. The National Council for Home Safety and Security ranks the university as one of the country’s Top 40 safest campuses. The 2018 Center for World University Rankings ranked WVU in the Top 3% among 19,000 universities worldwide.
: 1300 Eagle Road, St. Davids, PA 19087-3696
: 610 341 5800
Eastern University was established in 1925 as Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary. It is a nationally recognized Christian university offering diverse online, seminary, professional, graduate, and undergraduate programs. Eastern’s main headquarters is located in Pennsylvania, with other campuses in Harrisburg and Philadelphia. The university is affiliated with the American Baptist Churches USA and features a diverse Christian administration, faculty, and student community.
- The Eastern University – College of Health and Sciences offers a 100% online Master of Arts in Clinical Counseling program.
- The program features three concentrations: the Applied Behavior Analysis Certification, Trauma Studies, or the General Track.
- Full-time learners can complete the program in three years, while part-time students can graduate in four years. A two-year accelerated track is also available for interested applicants.
- Students must submit two letters of recommendation to apply to the graduate clinical counseling program, official transcripts, current resume, GRE scores, and a completed online application.
- If selected, some students will attend a personal interview with a faculty member, complete an on-site writing task, and review the program of study.
Standout Features of Eastern University’s Online Master of Arts in Clinical Counseling Program:
Eastern University’s Master of Arts in Clinical Counseling program receives its programmatic accreditation from the Master’s in Psychology and Counseling Accreditation Council. The program’s curriculum meets the academic requirements for Licensed Professional Counselors in Pennsylvania. The university also offers an accelerated track for students who prefer completing their degrees in a shortened period.
Eastern University has more than 122 Partnerships and Alliances, including governmental sectors, non-profit organizations, and Fortune 500 companies, across the Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, and greater Philadelphia regions. Many organizations that partner with Eastern University receive tuition discounts, making education more affordable for their employees and creating numerous opportunities for career advancement and continuing studies.
: 633 Clark St., Evanston, IL 60208
: 844 684 6221
Northwestern University is a comprehensive research university with numerous interdisciplinary programs across multiple units and schools. It is a leading research institution that houses more than 90 school-based centers and 50+ University research facilities. Northwestern’s research programs span various areas with an interdisciplinary tradition, including drug discovery, biotechnology, nanotechnology, and neuroscience.
- The Master of Arts (MA) in Counseling online at Northwestern University is offered through The Family Institute, with accreditation from CACREP.
- Students with professional experience in Psychology or a related field are suitable for the Standard program, while students with no psychology or counseling background must enroll in the Bridge To Counseling program.
- Although the curriculum features 100% online courses, students must accomplish hands-on clinical training.
- Hands-on clinical training includes the 600-hour Internship and the 200-hour Practicum.
- In addition to clinical training and course completion, students will participate in-person immersions, requiring them to complete the Capstone Immersion Experience and the Group Dynamics Immersion.
Standout Features of Northwestern University’s Online Master of Arts in Counseling Program:
Northwestern University has received accreditation from The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs, making it easier for graduates to pursue counselor licensure. The university offers two counseling tracks to provide students with the opportunity to earn a master’s degree in counseling regardless of their counseling background and experience. Both Bridge and Standard Counseling programs will have an optional Child and Adolescent emphasis, preparing graduates to work effectively with young kids with mental health conditions.
Northwestern University is one of the only four Top 10 universities in the US also ranked in the Top 20 in each of the five graduate studies categories. According to The Times Higher Education, Northwestern ranks in 24th spot for The World University Rankings in 2021. The university has also received several rankings from the US News & World Report for its economics, chemistry, materials engineering, medical school, law school, education, and business school.
: 1501 W. Bradley Avenue, Peoria, IL 61606
: 309 676 7611
Bradley University was established in 1897. This private, independent university located in Illinois consistently pursues excellence in service, scholarship, research, and education and advocates collaborative learning, diversity, integrity, and leadership. Today, Bradley University offers more than 130 continuing education, graduate, and undergraduate programs across five colleges and The Graduate School.
- Bradley’s Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling requires 60 credit hours for degree completion.
- The 60-credit counseling program consists of coursework, two virtual residencies, two internships, and one practicum.
- Students will complete the first residency during the 1st term, and the last will be on the 8th term.
- Students choose their site supervisor when approved by the university.
Standout Features of Bradley University’s Online Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program:
Bradley University’s Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program is accredited by CACREP, providing graduates with a direct path to counselor licensure. The curriculum will train and educate students to help them prepare for the National Counselor Exam. As one of the rare features of the program, Bradley’s graduate program in counseling will explore the cutting-edge principles of neuro-counseling.
Prestigious publications, including Bloomberg Businessweek, The Wall Street Journal, The Princeton Review, and the US News & World Report, have recognized Bradley University for its student engagement, value, and academic rigor. Bradley University is the top university in Illinois for four succeeding years, according to The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education.