Are you searching for a quality online Master’s of Commerce degree? You’re in luck! Without a doubt, commerce is a core discipline in the workplace. It’s the essence of how businesses essentially function. Merging different economic processes and case studies, commerce makes up the essential components of triumph or failure in business activities.
Online learning opportunities through a virtual classroom are a great way for working professionals to earn a broader understanding of the way commerce works and how you can be a part of it!
Many of our selected schools offer world-class academics in the field; therefore, providing you with confidence, flexibility, and the assurance of career advancement. Online top-notch faculty members are ready to train professionals in the most innovative technology used in the field of commerce today.
Online Master of Commerce Programs
Also called M. Comm. or Mcomm., an online Master of Commerce is a post-graduate level of study ideal for graduates planning to pursue career opportunities in economics, management, international business, accounting, Commerce, insurance, and banking & financial sectors.
It is a degree program based on specialization, which includes research requirements, providing graduates with the opportunity to pursue a Doctor of Philosophy, a Doctor of Business Administration, or a Doctor of Commerce degree. It’s suitable for U.S. and international students.
Master of Commerce Career Options
Graduates with an online Master of Commerce degree will be highly considered for senior or management roles in various private and public sectors.
These online master’s degrees provide the credentials and proficiencies that students need to succeed, such as in the areas of leadership and specialist roles in:
- international business,
- human resource management,
- information systems,
- and supply chain management.
By successfully completing advanced studies, you can potentially qualify for more lucrative career paths in e-commerce, banking & finance, accounting, international business, economics, human resource, or any commerce-related specialization.
Making the move into advanced-level Commerce within the comforts of web-based learning? A crucial step for hopeful online Master of Commerce graduates is to pick the best, top-flight university!
Fit your graduate education around your career and personal schedules with our list of The 10 Best Online Master’s of Commerce Grad Schools. Each of these programs was chosen based on its top-notch features that blend variety, quality, and flexible structure of courses, giving students enriching and up-to-date industry knowledge and a solid foundation for career advancement.
These key concepts helped us put together this year’s 10 Best Online Masters of Commerce Graduate Schools:
- Online learning offering online master’s degrees, fully online or hybrid Master’s of Commerce classes with self-paced options fit for adult learners,
- Emphasis on the modern theories and applications pertaining to trade policies, management principles, and core business functions, with evolving workplaces in mind,
- Fully recognized by accrediting agencies safeguarding academic standards,
- Top ranking world-class academics in university statistics and stellar reviews students,
- Strong online learning support, readily available resources, reliable alumni network,
- Provides an easy application process and entry requirements,
- Transfer credit options and financial assistance options to assist you with your master’s degree program and tuition fees.
And if you’re wondering why there are only a few online learning Master of Commerce programs in the US, we have the answers for you.
Best Online Master’s of Commerce Grad Schools
: 360 Huntington Ave., Boston, MA 02115
: 617 373 2300
Northeastern University was started in 1898. Today, it is considered a global, experiential, research-private institution known for its diverse undergraduate and graduate degree programs across nine schools and colleges.
The university has more than 2,900 corporate partners globally, 2,000 employers in the Experiential Network offering graduates professional experiences, and 148 countries where students immerse themselves in experience-powered learning opportunities.
- Northeastern University’s online Master of Science in Commerce and Economic Development program is developed by the university’s College of Social Sciences and Humanities and College of Professional Studies.
- The 100% online program can be completed either on a full-time or part-time learning commitment.
- Students can choose one out of four concentrations, namely Data Analytics, Economic Analysis, Economic Entrepreneurship, or Financial Economics.
- The Financial Economics concentration will prepare students for the CFA Institute Level I Exam.
- A master’s capstone project must be completed before graduation.
Given the rare program offerings in the study of Commerce, Northeastern University’s online Master of Science in Commerce and Economic Development program is the only program in the US of its kind. Northeastern University also provides PRM, FRM, CFP, or CFA credentials to accelerate their graduate program.
Students with the specified credentials can transfer a maximum of 11 hours or 22% to 24% savings on tuition.
Northeastern University has partnered with tech entrepreneur David Roux and his wife Barbara to establish Roux Institute in Portland, Maine. With the couple’s $100M investment, Northeastern has extended its global university system through the institute.
The university’s research initiatives and graduate programs are designed in partnerships with colleges, universities, government, and companies around Maine.
: 158 Harmon Drive, Northfield, VT 05663
: 866 684 7237
Established in 1819, Norwich University is headquartered in the Green Mountains of Vermont. The Northfield campus is safe and community-oriented, catering to almost 3,000 on-campus and 1,400+ distance learners from 40 states and 38 nations worldwide. NU is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education.
- The Norwich University online Master of Arts (MA) in Diplomacy program offers a concentration in International Commerce.
- Depending on the students’ commitment, they can earn their master’s degree within 18 months.
- The 100% online graduate program consists of six courses, ranging from 11+ weeks of completion.
- The 36-credit-hour program will require students to pass a comprehensive exam as part of the graduation requirements. Students can also accomplish an optional thesis track.
- The program will culminate with a residency on the Vermont campus.
Norwich University’s online Master of Arts (MA) in Diplomacy with a concentration in International Commerce program is the only program of its kind. Students earn their graduate degree from a university with almost 200 years of rich military history and legacy. They will gain a clearer perspective on conflict, leadership, and international diplomacy.
The university will provide students with the opportunity to create a robust portfolio of research papers that they leverage within their companies or submit as work samples to potential employers.
Norwich University has several “firsts” in the new frontiers of education. The university was the 1st private institution in the US to teach engineering, the 1st of all private military colleges in the country, and the birthplace of ROTC.
It is also one of the 1st American universities to teach agriculture and is also one of the first military colleges to accept women. Capt. Alden Patridge, the university’s founder, brought experiential learning to American education.
The University of Memphis
: Memphis, TN 38152
: 901 678 2000
The University of Memphis is nestled in a serene residential neighborhood of Tennessee. Established in 1912, the university is a major research institution that accepts 21,000+ students every year. With diversity as one of its core strengths, faculty and students come from different corners of the world to be part of UofM’s learning experience.
UofM features five state-approved Centers of Excellence and 25 Chairs of Excellence.
- UofM’s online Master of Science in Sport Commerce is offered through the Kemmons Wilson School of Hospitality & Resort Management.
- A total of 33 credit hours will be required to earn your master’s degree in Sports Commerce.
- The program is available in the spring, summer, or fall semesters.
- As a culminating requirement, students will have the option to pursue either a practicum in sports commerce or a thesis.
- Regardless of the culminating experience, all students must complete and pass an oral or written comprehensive exam.
The University of Memphis is the country’s only university to offer an online Master of Science in Sport Commerce program! This all-new online graduate program of its kind was designed particularly for aspiring and current sports commerce executives.
The program emphasizes the application of leadership and management skills in the field of sports commerce. The Sports Commerce specialization has received approval from the Sport Management Program Review Council.
UofM is one of Tennessee’s three comprehensive doctoral-extensive institutions of higher learning. The university grants more than 3,000 degrees per year. Its 25 Chairs of Excellence is more than any other university around Tennessee. Students interested in the rich legacy and history of UofM can immerse themselves in the Heritage Room.
The Heritage Room features more than 150 displays of football cleats, diplomas, class photos, lettermen sweaters and jackets, and yearbooks.
Minot State University
: 500 University Avenue West, Minot, ND 58707
: 800 777 0750
Headquartered in North Dakota, Minot State University is a public institution of higher learning founded in 1913 as a normal school. Today, the university is the 3rd largest university in North Dakota, offering graduate and undergraduate degree programs to on-campus and non-traditional students.
Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, Minot State University is a member of the North Dakota University System, consisting of 11 institutions representing the community, baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral studies.
- The Minot State University – Master of Science in Management program provides students with the option to be completed on-campus or online.
- Students can enroll either in the fall or spring semester, allowing them to complete their degrees within 9 to 18 months.
- The 100% online master’s degree program requires completing 30 semester credit hours or equivalent to ten 3-credit hour courses.
- Matriculation requirements include a graduate school application, GMAT/GRE scores, resume/CV, and a Statement of Purpose.
- A background in business is not mandatory for admission.
Minot State University’s online Master of Science in Management program is offered through the College of Business, receiving specialized accreditation from the International Accreditation Council for Business Education. This excellent alternative to the online Master of Commerce program in North Dakota exposes students to all the primary components of business management and international trade.
Minot State University was founded as Minot Normal School, a 2-year institution dedicated to preparing and educating teachers for service in Northwestern ND. In 1924, the Normal School started granting baccalaureate degrees which led to the renaming from Minot Normal School to Minot State Teacher’s College.
The university only comprises four major academic divisions: the Graduate School, the College of Education and Health Sciences, the College of Business, and the College of Arts and Sciences.
Texas A&M University-Commerce
: 2200 Campbell Street, Commerce, Texas 75428
: 888 868 2682
Texas A&M University-Commerce has been one of the frontrunners around Texas in providing excellent education since 1889. It is part of the A&M University System, catering to more than 4,000 graduates and 6,000 undergraduates across 100-degree programs.
The university offers state-of-the-art education in an easy-going environment. Students can make lifelong friends and enjoy vibrant student culture with 120+ student organizations and recreational opportunities.
- Texas A&M University-Commerce’s online Master of Science in Management program is integrated with commerce-related courses, making it one of the best alternatives to the Master of Commerce and international trade degree.
- Both non-business and business undergraduate majors can enroll in the graduate program.
- Non-business majors will complete a set of prerequisites before starting the actual program.
- The 30-credit-hour program doesn’t have any thesis requirement for graduation.
- Students will have the option to add a certificate to strengthen their credentials, including Tax Accounting, Operational Excellence, Economics of US Healthcare, Business Analytics, International Business, or Auditing and Forensic Accounting.
The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business has accredited the College of Business at Texas A&M University-Commerce. It is one of the 800 schools worldwide to receive AACSB accreditation. Students pursuing the online Master of Science in Management program at TAMUC can enjoy the in-house Career Services Center, mentoring business students seeking employment or internships.
The university also has diverse industry connections, connecting alumni, faculty, and students with the business communities.
With a state-of-the-art multi-million dollar science building, recreation center, and Student Center, Texas A&M University-Commerce offers comprehensive research opportunities to graduates and undergraduates.
TAMUC has also granted $10M worth of scholarships every year, with 70% of students receiving financial aid. Approximately 86% of TAMUC graduates are already working full-time within six months after graduation.
George Mason University
: 4400 University Drive Fairfax, VA 22030
: 703 993 8978
Based near Washington, D.C., George Mason University is Virginia’s biggest public research university enrolling over 39,000 undergraduates and graduates from 50 American states and 130 countries worldwide. It is a public, comprehensive, research university founded by the Commonwealth of Virginia in the National Capital Region.
GMU is known for its entrepreneurship and innovation, commitment to accessibility, and outstanding diversity. The university receives accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
- GMU’s online Master of Science in Accounting program requires 30 credit hours for completion of the program.
- The 100% virtual classroom online MSA program will prepare students to fulfill and meet the credentials required for the 150-credit licensing requirement.
- Full-time students can complete their MSA degree in as little as 11 months, while part-time students can finish within two years.
- Each accounting course features a module format, providing students with the key concepts and the option to enroll in one or two online courses every eight weeks.
- The program includes a 7-day Global Residency. Previous residencies were held in Frankfurt, London, and Prague.
George Mason University offers several graduate programs, serving as the best replacement for the online Master of Commerce within the US, including the online Master of Science in Accounting. It is one of the commerce-related graduate programs offered at GMU’s School of Business.
The online Master of Science in Accounting program at GMU is accredited by the Association To Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International. Students can participate in a 1-week global residency or international trade study tour facilitated by an MSA instructor.
In 2016, George Mason University was distinguished by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education as one of the premier research universities in the nation, producing research with remarkable impact. In 2018, approximately $149M was spent on sponsored research alone.
Approximately 60% of GMU’s student population has received some form of financial aid. 80% of Mason graduates are employed within six months of completing their degrees.
Thomas Edison State University
: 111 W. State St., Trenton, NJ 08608
: 609 777 5680
Thomas Edison State University was founded by the State of New Jersey and was chartered in 1972 by the New Jersey Board of Higher Education. It is one of the US’ oldest universities dedicated exclusively to adult learners. As one of NJ’s senior public universities, TESU provides exceptional value, affordable tuition and fees, and academic excellence.
Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the university offers certificate, undergraduate, and graduate programs in 100+ areas of the discipline.
- TESU’s online Master of Science in Management program is a 36-credit program, allowing students to transfer a maximum of 12 credits during enrollment.
- Although students can choose a set of electives outside the School of Business and Management, approval from the dean is required.
- Students can specialize in one area of study, namely Project Management, Organizational Leadership, or Accounting.
- Students must complete a 3-credit hour Management Capstone and 3-credit hour Leading Strategic Change course as part of the degree requirements.
- Students must submit their official undergraduate transcripts, 500-word personal statement, current resume, and completed online application for enrollment.
TESU’s School of Business and Management offers an online Master of Science in Management program accredited by the Accreditation Council For Business Schools and Programs. The 100% online MSM program is designed at the request of major New Jersey employers, making it a practical academic experience and rigorous for seasoned managers in the industry.
Thomas Edison State University’s average student age is 35. It is represented by residents from approximately 60 nations worldwide and 50 American states. The university allows students to earn credits.
Assessment will include professional licenses, corporate courses and certifications, military and professional training, portfolio assessment, and the Thomas Edison Credit-by-Examination Program.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
: 1 Aerospace Boulevard, Daytona Beach, FL 32114-3900
: 800 222 3728
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University was established 22 years after the Wright brother’s first flight. Since then, ERAU and its student community have developed several remarkable achievements in the fields of aerospace and aviation. Today, the university serves over 34,000 students at its two residential campuses in Arizona and Florida and its Worldwide Campus.
The university garnered accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
- ERAU’s online Master of Science in Management program is offered through the Embry-Riddle College of Business.
- Students will have the option to focus on one out of five specializations, namely Global Management, Human Resources Management, Leadership, Operations Management, and Project Management.
- The 100% online MSM program consists of three major sections: the 9-credit High-Reliability Organization, the 15-credit Business Core, and the 12-credit Certificate option.
- Students can choose from Business Intelligence and Analytics, Finance, Human Resources, Information Systems Security, Information Technology Management, International Business, Leadership, Marketing Management, or Project Management for the certificate requirement.
- A total of 36 credit hours will be needed for students to graduate with an MSM degree.
The Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University – online Master of Science in Management program has been acknowledged by the Society for Human Resources Management. Once students pursue the Human Resource certificate, they can enjoy several benefits beyond the curriculum itself as the certificate is aligned with SHRM’s HR Curriculum Guidebook and Templates.
The Accreditation Council also accredits the online MSM program for Business Schools Programs.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University receives several accolades and recognitions from a diverse range of private companies and prestigious publications.
The university is consistently recognized as one of the best regional universities in the South for veterans and military, a top veteran and military-friendly school, and one of the best universities for veterans by G.I. Jobs, U.S. Veterans, Military Advanced Education, Military Times, and the US News & World Report publications.
ERAU’s aerospace engineering program is the biggest in the US.
Stevens Institute of Technology
: 1 Castle Point Terrace, Hoboken, NJ 07030
: 201 216 5000
Stevens Institute of Technology is named for the prominent family known as “America’s First Family of Investors.” The family has revolutionized the face of American engineering, creating railroad tracks, locomotives, steamboats, and other state-of-the-art innovations that enabled a new nation.
In 1870, Stevens Institute of Technology opened its first rigorous engineering curriculum in the field of Mechanical Engineering. In 1982, the university became the 1st major U.S. institution of higher learning to require its students to buy and use personal computers for academics.
- Stevens Institute of Technology’s online Master of Science in Management program can be earned in one year, making it the best complement to a 4-year baccalaureate degree.
- The 100% online MSM consists of eight leadership and business courses, two free elective courses, and the Industry Capstone Program.
- To enroll, students must submit their official academic transcripts, professional resume, GRE/GMAT scores, two letters of recommendation, and interviews (if applicable).
- Students pursuing the online MSM program can enjoy access to Headspace wellness/meditation service.
- To graduate, students must have a minimum of 30 credit hours through coursework completion and capstone requirements.
Stevens Institute of Technology is ranked 11th among the Top 50 Master of Management programs in the US and New Jersey’s #1 MSM program according to TFE Times. The program also lands in the 14th spot for the Best Online Schools for Business in the US News & World Report. 100% of the online Master of Science in Management graduates in the 2020 class have accepted job offers three months after graduation.
Stevens Institute of Technology has a long list of recognitions and accolades from prestigious publications, including The Princeton Review and PayScale. Some of its recognition include Top 12 for the Top Colleges With The Highest Paid Graduates in PayScale’s College Salary Report, Top 17 in the US for the 20-year Net Return On Investment for Graduates, and 2nd in New Jersey Colleges by Salary Potential in the same publication.
According to The Princeton Review, Stevens Institute of Technology is 11th in the country for 2020’s Best Career Placement.
Southeast Missouri State University
: One University Plaza, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
: 573 651 2000
Southeast Missouri State University is a comprehensive university with several international and national academic accreditations from prominent organizations. The university offers more than 75 graduate programs, 100 minors, and 145+ undergraduate majors. With almost 12,000 students, the university has an ideal size to take advantage of extracurricular and critical learning opportunities.
The university derives its regional accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission and several programmatic accreditations, including the Association To Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
- SEMO’s online Master of Science in Management program is developed for non-industry-specific education, providing distance learners with a diverse managerial perspective.
- A total of 30 credit hours is required for the successful completion of the MSM degree.
- The management graduate program doesn’t require a business-related undergraduate degree, crediting students’ current experience instead of prerequisites.
- To enroll, students must have at least three years of full-time professional experience.
- Admission requirements include MCAT/LSAT/GMAT/GRE scores, letter of intent, current CV/resume, and three business/professional references.
The Harrison College of Business at Southeast Missouri State University receives a prestigious accreditation from the AACSB. The college has also garnered accreditation from the Network of International Business Schools for its comprehensive integrations of all aspects of the international business and global economy programs.
Approximately 4% of universities in the US have received accreditation from NIBS. Quality Matters have carefully reviewed each course in the online Master of Science in Management program.
Southeast Missouri State University provides students with diverse opportunities for PLAs (Prior Learning Assessments). Beyond military-related credit or standard credits through examinations, SEMO’s academic programs and departments also offer unique options to obtain credits for students’ experiences, including certifications, professional performance, portfolios, and other credentials.
With almost 550 corporate partnerships offering internships and career opportunities, 92% of SEMO graduates are hired within one year after graduation.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the standard curriculum of an online Master of Commerce program?
Online Master of Commerce programs can be completed within 12 to 24 months of full-time learning. The curriculum is focused on one specific area of discipline with an emphasis on the related underlying theory. Graduate commerce programs may include a thesis requirement and can be a research-based program.
Given the online Master of Commerce’s curriculum slightly differs from other management and other business-related programs:
- Its emphasis on one specific area is different from a general degree like the online MBA program. Although some schools offer a Master of Commerce in General Management, M. Comm. degrees are more identical to the Online Master of Management programs than MBA degrees.
- Unlike specialized degrees like the online Master of Economics or Master of Science in Finance, online Master of Commerce degrees focuses more on theories.
Enrollment in the online M. Comm. programs will require an undergraduate degree in Commerce or any related study. Depending on the school’s requirements, prerequisites can also include a strong quantitative background and a more specific undergraduate major.
Some online Master of Commerce programs will accept students with engineering or science majors. However, they must accomplish a set of foundational courses or pursue a bridge program.
What are some of the common specializations of an online Master of Commerce degree?
The online Master of Commerce consists of many related areas of discipline and research topics. The program doesn’t only have a general curriculum. Many career options are available in this field. The different specializations of an online Master of Commerce degree include the following:
- Accounting and Finance
- Actuarial Science
- Banking and Finance
- Business Management
- Computer Application
- Corporate Governance
- Finance & Control
- Financial Management
- Human Resource Management
- International Trade Law
- Risk Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Trade Law
Why are online Master of Commerce degrees rare in the US?
Did you know that online Master of Commerce degrees are only available in Australia, the European Union, New Zealand, and Oceania? Like many undergraduate programs in Commerce studies, an online Master of Commerce program is offered in a few Latin American and African countries and Commonwealth nations.
Because the US is not part of the 54-member Commonwealth nations, online Master of Commerce degrees are not common within the US.
What is the closest alternative to getting an online Master of Commerce degree in the US?
Considering that online Master of Commerce degrees have limited options in the US, students can pursue similar programs in a related discipline that will provide them with the same skills and knowledge in this type of business study.
For example, the online Master of Management is one of the popular alternatives to an online Master of Commerce degree. It is a one-year graduate program that often serves as a stepping stone for career shifters and current professionals seeking to apply for senior positions in the business sector; often available at business schools.
As a prerequisite to management, the online Master of Management program consists of a structured curriculum that discusses diverse topics in marketing, human resource management, entrepreneurship, international business, ethical decision-making, project management, and Commerce studies.
Many accredited graduate programs in management include internship programs, allowing students to gain valuable practical experiences in real-world settings.
If you seek a broader understanding of your proficiency in management roles in Commerce and other related disciplines, numerous graduate business programs will serve as the best alternative. Students can work effectively to develop certain skills in one Commerce-related specialization of career options.
- A Master’s degree in Commerce will provide you with many opportunities for career advancement; everything from accounting to international business.
- If you are interested in the global economy, marketing management, project management, human resource management, e-commerce, and the like, this is the master’s degree for you.
- Your virtual classroom experience will be enjoyable, informative, and convenient. These programs offer great opportunities for international students as well!