Find your perfect graduate degree
In this article, we will be covering...
The online Master of Informatics program helps educate and prepare students for a diverse range of career opportunities in a constantly evolving field of informatics.
Informatics is the study of computer information systems, a rapidly emerging sector in this digital era where businesses and individuals increasingly evaluate and process different pieces of information. Online Informatics-related programs include the engineering of information systems and the best practices of information processing.
Quick audio summary:
What could be more relevant today in the world we live in than working with Computer Information Systems? This field is wide open for those who have an interest in a computer-related field. Informatics, (in whichever industry you choose), is a growing field and provides graduates with a lucrative salary. Earning a Master of Business Informatics degree increases your chances of landing just the right position, particularly in management!
Choose the Degree for You
Students interested in business, science, or health informatics have access to several types of graduate degrees. The three most popular degrees include an online Master of Science in Bioinformatics, an online Master of Business Informatics, and an online Master of Science in Health Informatics.
In a modern world where everyone and everything becomes more dependent on the internet, the utilization of computer information systems can open lucrative and exciting career opportunities in a variety of industries.
However, given that it is still a developing program, very few schools offer an online Master of Business Informatics in the US. Fortunately, we have curated several graduate schools that offer a 100% online graduate program in Business Informatics.
Are you interested in graduate studies in Informatics? Jumpstart your venture with our Best Online Master of Business Informatics programs. Due to the popularity of services related to health and wellness, we also include some schools that also offer online Master of Science in Health Informatics programs for your reference.
What makes an online Master's of Business Informatics degree program stand out? The Best Online Master's of Business Informatics Graduate Schools on our list offer the program and share an arsenal of the best program features:
- Delivered 100% online or in a hybrid format for the convenience of professionals and adult learners,
- Offers rigorous, yet engaging, coursework on state-of-the-art online learning platform/s for excellent student experience and interaction,
- Excellent faculty consisting of esteemed professionals and figures of leadership in the field of Business Informatics,
- Financial aid opportunities for students who qualify,
- Generally positive reviews from students and graduates,
- and, Full accreditation from academic agencies and associations.
10 Best Online Master's of Business Informatics Graduate Schools
The University of Louisiana at Lafayette
: Lafayette, LA 70504
: 337 482 5555
The University of Louisiana at Lafayette, a member of the UL System, was founded in 1898. It was formerly known as the Southwestern Louisiana Industrial Institute. The university didn't have instructors, students, and campus at that time. It is the second-largest university in Louisiana, with more than 19,000 graduate and undergraduate students.
- The University of Louisiana at Lafayette - online Master of Science (MS) in Informatics program offers 8-week and 16-week courses.
- The program requires the completion of 33 graduate-level credits for completion. Once students have completed 12 hours of coursework, they will decide whether to pursue a thesis or non-thesis option.
- Before starting the standard curriculum, students must take a set of prerequisite courses, such as Statistics, Survey of Calculus, and Pre-Calculus.
- Students must already have a bachelor's degree, official transcripts, and three letters of recommendation to enroll.
- As part of the Foundation course requirements, students with an undergraduate degree from a different field will take Database and Network Systems and Introduction to Informatics.
Students pursuing an online Master of Science in Informatics program at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette will have a set of comprehensive student resources. They can access the UL Lafayette Office of Career Services, providing them with all the essential information to get started in their future professions.
With affordable, flat-rate tuition, graduates can easily complete their degrees without accumulating a hefty amount of student debt.
At Lafayette, the University of Louisiana received approval to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. The university has a long list of accolades under its UL Online programs.
According to the US News and World Report, it is one of the Most Affordable Universities in Louisiana.
Sacred Heart University
: 5151 Park Avenue, Fairfield, CT 06825
: 203 371 7999
Founded in 1963, Sacred Heart University was established by the Most Reverend Walter W. Curtis to offer higher learning institutions that will cater to the people of the region and diocese regardless of religion, creed, race, and sex. Today, SHU offers 80+ undergraduate, graduate, doctorate, and certificate programs.
Approved by the New England Commission of Higher Education, SHU comprises three schools and six colleges, including the College of Health Professions.
- Sacred Heart University's online Master of Science (MS) in Healthcare Informatics will require 36 credits of core and elective courses for program completion.
- Matriculation requirements include an online application, CV/resume, personal statement/essay, and two letters of recommendation.
- Students can choose three courses from ten elective offerings, including Field Experience I and II, Project Management, Legal Aspects of HIT, or Strategic Application of IT in Healthcare.
- As a culminating experience, students must accomplish a capstone project at an on-site healthcare facility or current workplace.
- The capstone requirement will only be taken once students have already completed all required core courses.
The online Master of Science (MS) in Healthcare Informatics program at Sacred Heart University produces graduates with theoretical and practical proficiency. They will study the technological, cultural, and economic aspects of healthcare IT, emphasizing clinical and business operations.
Sacred Heart University remains a top choice for students pursuing an online program in the healthcare-related discipline. According to The Princeton Review, SHU is one of the Top 20 schools for "Students Most Engaged in Community Service" and "Happiest Students."
The university is also considered by the US News & World Report as one of the best institutions in the North.
: 360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115
: 617 373 2300
Northeastern University's research and teaching initiatives are grounded in global engagement. Aside from its Boston location, the university has a worldwide reach in Canada, the UK, and the US. The university has more than 2,900 corporate partners around the globe as well as 2,000 employers in the international Experiential Network offering graduate learners professional experience and proficiencies.
- Students pursuing an online Master of Professional Studies in Informatics program can choose one out of five concentrations, such as Analytics, Human-Centered Informatics, Leading and Managing Technical Projects, Information Security Management, and Cloud Computing.
- A full-time or part-time learning format is offered to students, depending on their preference and commitment.
- Students can earn their MPS in Informatics degree within 12 to 18 months.
- Students must submit their 500 or 1000-word statement of purpose, professional resume, unofficial/official transcripts, two letters of recommendation, and online application.
- Northeastern University has a rolling admission basis, allowing students to start anytime when they're ready.
Enrolling in Northeastern University's online Master of Professional Studies in Informatics program offers students access to a network of 3,350+ employers and 255,000+ alumni partners, including international NGOs, government agencies, and Fortune 500 companies. In addition, the program is a STEM-designated graduate program, allowing students to have an extended period of Optional Practical Training.
Northeastern University's signature experience-based learning format has been the epitome of education for more than 100 years. The model integrates world-class education with professional practice, allowing students to gain relevant, real-world expertise to apply in their current workplace immediately.
Advanced degree holders at Northeastern enjoy an income of 35% higher than graduates with an undergraduate degree.
San José State University
: One Washington Square, San José, CA 95152
: 408 924 1000
San José State University was founded in 1857 and started before the Civil War. Headquartered in California, it is the 1st State Normal School that trains educators who teach the youth of the state.
Considered one of the most transformative institutions of higher learning in the US, SJSU offers a comprehensive university education that awards undergraduate and graduate degrees in 250 areas of the discipline.
- San José State University's online Master of Science in Informatics program consists of three major sections: an 18-credit Skills and Foundation, a 9-credit Specialization, and a 3-credit Culminating Project.
- The 30-credit-hour Informatics graduate program offers two specializations that students can choose from, namely, Cybersecurity and Privacy or Health.
- Each course has an asynchronous learning format, providing students with the flexibility to access their courses anytime, anywhere.
- Students must not submit their resumes, statements of purpose, letters of recommendation, and GRE/GMAT scores to enroll. Online applications and official transcripts are more than enough for consideration.
- The Online MS in Informatics is open to students with non-technical or technical backgrounds.
According to the Online Learning Consortium Quality Scorecard, San José State University's online graduate programs have received a score in the Exemplary range, including its online Master of Science in Informatics program. In addition, distance learners can utilize the iSchool Unit Planning Tool to create a personalized plan of study to earn their degrees.
Students pursuing the graduate program in Informatics took advantage of various informal learning opportunities that boosted their professional network. Approximately 75% were members of professional organizations.
The university will provide new students with a free 1-year membership to the IAPP, ASIS International, American Nursing Informatics Association, HIMSS, and Association for Information Science and Technology.
Penn State World Campus
: E397 Westgate Building, University Park, PA 16802
: 814 865 8947
The Pennsylvania State University is Pennsylvania's only land-grant institution of higher learning. Although the university had a rough and not-so-grand start, it was considered one of the country's first schools of agricultural science. Today, the university has world-class schools, facilities, and colleges across the 24 Penn State campuses throughout the Commonwealth.
In addition, PennState's World Campus offers some of the country's best online programs. Starting with 2,000 distance learners, the World Campus caters to more than 20,000 non-traditional students in the US and worldwide.
- PennState's online Master of Science in Informatics is a 30-credit hour program, offering students the option to finish their degree within 12 or 24 months of full-time learning.
- Students must accomplish a minimum of 12 credits of specialty area courses.
- There are three concentrations to choose from, such as Human-Centered Design, Data Sciences, and Cybersecurity.
- As part of the culminating requirements of the program, students can either complete a scholarly paper or a thesis.
- Students must submit a 1 to 3-page statement of goals and research background, resume, and three letters of preference to enroll. They are also required to have a baccalaureate degree before enrolling.
The Pennsylvania State University's online Master of Science in Informatics program offers both students and faculty to participate in state-of-the-art projects in a diverse range of research areas. They can also collaborate with scholars within and outside the university on trans-disciplinary and interdisciplinary research.
PennState also has various research centers and laboratories led by international and national scholars that will discuss a broad spectrum of research disciplines.
The Pennsylvania State University has been a leading institution for over 150 years. According to the US News & World Report, it snagged the #57 place in the Best Colleges overall ranking of US News & World Report.
The university also ranks #54 globally among 2,000 schools from the international university classifications conducted by the Center for World University Rankings.
Rochester Institute of Technology
: One Lomb Memorial Drive, Rochester, NY 14623
: 585 475 2411
Located in New York, the Rochester Institute of Technology was established in 1829. It was merged with a former technical training school, the Mechanics Institute.
Today, RIT has several campuses beyond New York. In addition, it has catered to the international community through its campuses in Kosovo, Dubai, Croatia, and China. RIT has a student community of more than 19,000 learners and 135,000+ graduates from the US and worldwide.
- Rochester Institute of Technology offers an online Master of Science in Health Informatics program that requires 30 credits for completion.
- To enroll, students must submit their official transcripts, two letters of recommendation, and personal statement.
- Applicants must have at least three years of professional experience in an IT, healthcare, or health-related organization.
- GRE scores are required exclusively for international students.
- Students pursuing an online Master of Science in Health Informatics can either pursue an Analyst Track or a Clinician Track.
Pursuing an online Master of Science in Health Informatics program at Rochester Institute of Technology puts theories into a real-world application. Students complete a 3-day on-site requirement at one out of seven healthcare facilities around Rochester, New York. They will work with physicians and other healthcare professionals in different settings and specialties to understand how they interact with technology and patients.
Rochester Institute of Technology has been in the world of distance learning for more than 40 years. In 1979, RIT started offering online education courses through the regional cable access system. During the 1980 Spring semester, only 56 students enrolled in two courses.
To support students' learning, course packets are mailed directly to every student. RIT had also released BetaMax and VHS tapes to add to course delivery formats. At that time, videoconferencing and satellites were also utilized.
Emporia State University
: 1 Kellogg Circle, Emporia, KS 66801
: 620 341 1200
Emporia State University has more than 200 graduate and undergraduate academic programs offered across four colleges, namely the Teachers College, School of Library + Information Management, School of Business, and the College of Liberal Arts + Sciences.
Approved by the Higher Learning Commission, the university integrates high-impact, hands-on learning experience into every program curriculum.
- The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences offered by Emporia State University has an Online Master of Science in Informatics program with thesis and non-thesis options.
- A total of 36 credit hours is required from students to receive their graduate degree program in Informatics.
- No GRE is required for enrollment.
- The program consists of 15-credit hour core required courses, 6-hour capstone, 12-hour quantitative economics core, and 15-credit hour quantitative economics elective.
- Although students can take as many courses as they want per semester, the university often allows one online course per semester for working professionals.
Under the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Emporia State University houses the Mathematics & Economics Department. It is one of the only departments in the US to integrate two disciplines. The department is also well-known throughout Emporia for preparing future mathematics teachers.
With a world-class faculty, students pursuing the online Master of Science in Informatics program at Emporia will receive holistic training and education in different areas of study, including programming, economics, database design, and information retrieval.
Emporia State University is included in the Top 50 listing for the Safest Colleges Campuses in America. Also, it is the only public university in Kansas to be recognized by the Colleges of Distinction. The Princeton Review has also listed Emporia as part of 2021's Best Regional Colleges.
: 3020 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
: 877 215 0009
Drexel University is a globally recognized university headquartered in Philadelphia. It is consistently ranked as a top institution of higher learning by the US News & World Report, providing both traditional and non-traditional students with more than 150 online certificate and degree programs to choose from.
Approximately 86% of full-time faculty at Drexel have received the highest degree in their respective disciplines. The university garners accreditation from the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
- Students pursuing an online Master of Science in Health Informatics program at Drexel University must complete 45 credits, including three approved electives and one free elective.
- A graduate program in health informatics can take 24 months of full-time learning.
- The online MSHI program at Drexel requires four 10-week quarters every year, permitting students to take more courses in a shorter time.
- The program is suitable for IT professionals or specialists who want to pursue employment within health and biomedical organizations.
- Although it is housed in the College of Computing and Informatics, the MSHI program receives comprehensive support from LeBow College of Business, Dornsife School of Public Health, and the College of Nursing and Health Professions.
Drexel University's Online Master of Science in Health Informatics program has received accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education.
In addition, the program's curriculum is primarily focused on the systems of psycho-social aspects and informatics of the healthcare industry. Drexel University is a charter member of AMIA or the American Medical Informatics Association.
Drexel University is one of the frontrunners when it comes to innovative and state-of-the-art education. In 1983, it became the first university to require new learners to have microcomputers. In 1996, Drexel offered accredited distance learning programs to students pursuing undergraduate and graduate degrees.
New York University
: One MetroTech Center, 19th Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201
: 646 997 3600
Founded in 1831, New York University is one of the premier universities that became a leader in global education. It has more students and international students studying overseas than other universities in the US NYU is one of the largest US universities providing a high-quality and rigorous education to 50,000+ students and undertaking almost $1B in research every year.
- New York University's online Master of Science in Bioinformatics program will require 30 credit hours for degree completion.
- Six out of 30 credits are meant for the Concentration requirement of the program.
- Students can either pursue a Translational Science concentration or a Laboratory Science concentration.
- Matriculation requirements include a personal statement, resume, online application, letters of recommendation, and GRE/GMAT scores.
- The online Bioinformatics graduate program also provides a Mentorship Support Program for distance learners.
New York University offers an NYU Tandon Bridge Program for students with a non-technical background to boost their skills essential for a STEM graduate program, including the Master of Science in Bioinformatics program.
It is a single, non-credit certificate course, equivalent to 400 hours of study, and more than three courses with subjects, such as Introduction To Computer Networks, Principles of Operating Systems, Data Structures and Algorithms, and Computer Programming in C++. Therefore, students with insufficient background in core computer science before enrollment.
New York University has a long tradition of innovation, witnessing massive growth in grant funding for research activities and initiatives. With over 120% growth since 2010, the university boasts seven start-up incubators and five entrepreneurship spaces.
The University of Arizona Global Campus
: 8620 Spectrum Center Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92123
: 866 711 1700
Since 1918, The University of Arizona Global Campus has developed and changed from a small college into a nationally recognized online learning institution.
The Sisters of St. Francis in Clinton are the founders of UAGC. They called it Mount St. Clare College, which accommodated women students exclusively. Today, UAGC is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission.
- The Master of Science in Health Informatics and Analytics program is made possible by The University of Arizona Global Campus.
- To receive a Master of Science in Health Informatics and Analytics degree, students must complete 39 credit hours in all coursework required by the university.
- The program consists of three major course requirement categories, namely Master of Public Health, Master of Health Care Administration, and Health Informatics and Analytics.
- Students must complete a single course at a time throughout the program.
- Each course has a 6-week duration.
The online Master of Science (MS) - Health Informatics and Analytics program has a multidisciplinary curriculum that will prepare distance learners to meet the information requirements of the healthcare sector. It offers a well-rounded approach for students to gain knowledge and skills in various components, including clinical research, health informatics, health data governance, epidemiology, and technology management.
In 2005, the Sisters of St. Francis terminated their long tradition of sponsorship of the school. Eventually, Bridgepoint Education bought The Franciscan University of the Prairies in the same year. UAGC is an online for-profit institution of higher learning located in San Diego.
Specializations to Consider
Although it is a fairly new program in the US, students can choose many specializations for their online Master of Informatics program.
As many companies become more and more driven by the quality of digital information, most of them will require the implementation of Business Informatics to remain competitive and significant. Therefore, as time progresses, many specializations will be added to the future.
After admission into an online Master of Business Informatics program, selecting the right courses is crucial; however, students can pursue some of the current specializations for their online Master of Informatics programs, such as
- Business Informatics
- Chemistry Informatics
- Health Informatics
Frequently Asked Questions
Also known as Organizational Informatics, Business Informatics is a discipline that combines management, informatics, and information technology principles and concepts. Created in Germany, the Business Informatics concept is derived from the German word "Wirtschaftsinformatik."
It is a well-established academic discipline at the diploma, baccalaureate, and master's levels in diverse countries, such as Turkey, Switzerland, Sweden, The Netherlands, Ireland, Germany, France, Belgium, and Austria.
Business Informatics is also gaining momentum and popularity in other countries, such as Australia.
As you may have noticed, the United States is also adopting Business Informatics across several colleges and universities. It is the reason why only a few schools have offered an online Master of Business Informatics program.
Business Informatics is an interdisciplinary study that combines essential elements from different areas of study, including computer science, information systems, and business administration, into one comprehensive field.
Business Informatics is an emerging multidisciplinary that started in Germany. However, its popularity spread throughout Europe, with more and more schools offering four-year degrees in the related discipline. The study integrates different aspects of informatics, IT, and business management.
The goal of Business Informatics is to combine business administration and computer science into one comprehensive discipline. Due to the rapidly changing aspect of Business Informatics, it is highly recommended that every graduate and undergraduate program is consistently reconsidered and revised.
To completely understand what Business Informatics is about, it is essential to know its factors and components. First, Informatics is defined as the study of processing information. It involves digitally analyzing and processing pieces of information with the help of computers.
The term "Informatics" is often associated with "computer science," although the field of computer science has a more specific concept. Social sciences, biology, and medicine also use informatics to automate their work.
Individuals appropriately trained in Business Informatics can act as a bridge between management and the information side of many businesses and organizations. By studying both components, qualified professionals will help individuals who build and utilize information and computer systems.
In a digitally connected era, Business Informatics will rapidly become the norm. The healthcare sector, for example, requires a massive amount of data storage to perform effectively. As more and more organizations become more driven by digital information, most businesses will need Business Informatics to remain competitive and relevant.
Since Health Informatics is one of the highly popular programs in the informatics field, we will comprehensively describe its scope and relation to Business Informatics.
Health Informatics is a general discipline and field that involves an integration of healthcare and information technology. It primarily consists of software applications and computer systems to create more intuitive, innovative, and efficient methods of managing and processing stored health information.
Health informatics is responsible for improving the confidentiality and security of healthcare information and managing clinical workflow processes.
Although Health Informatics is primarily associated with technology, the field also requires a comprehensive specialization in the study of medicine. It is highly similar to other types of informatics, such as Business Informatics and Sales; however, it's a completely different aspect in terms of data privacy and confidentiality.
Since it is a constantly changing sector, Health Informatics must also evolve as rapidly as healthcare and technology.
An online Master of Business Informatics can be a profitable academic venture for your future career with promising career growth. The Bureau of Labor Statistics is seeing a growth of 15% for computer and IT occupations alone between 2022 to 2032.
In the next few years, these occupations will add approximately 377,500 new jobs. Common Business Informatics professions include computer system specialists, IT consultants, project managers, data analysts, and administrators. However, graduates aren't limited to these occupations either.
As you can picture, an online Master of Business Informatics can generate occupations with plenty of crossovers between different scopes or fields of discipline.
The curriculum will teach numerous identical subjects from other degrees, such as data analytics, information technology, and finance. Students can also have similar degree requirements for residencies and internship programs.
- If you're thinking about broadening your skillset in computer informatics, do your research to see what kind of informatics degree you would like to earn.
- Informatics options include fields related to healthcare, business, chemistry, and more.
- Earning an online Master's of Computer Informatics degree is a wise choice, provides job security, and can easily be earned through an online distance education degree program of your choice!