The field of health informatics is where three disciplines intersect, including information science, computer science, and healthcare.
Diverse and ever-expanding, the health informatics field is being fueled by the demands of the healthcare industry for evidence-based medicine, quality improvement, data security, and accessibility for patients. In an increasingly digital world where health information systems evolved and become more sophisticated, the role of health informatics professionals is integral.
Master of Science in Health Informatics Graduate programs are designed to provide students with the skills needed to excel in the healthcare technology industry. By covering a wide range of topics, such as medical terminology, database management, and health economics, students can gain the knowledge necessary to become a leader in the field of health informatics.
Quick audio summary:
The Bureau of Labor Statistics projected the overall employment growth of medical records and information specialists to be 8 percent between the period of 2022 and 2032. This is about as fast as the average of all occupations. While it may be possible to enter the health informatics field armed with just a high school diploma and a background in healthcare at the very least, many specific occupational positions require higher education and certification.
Individuals pursuing careers as medical and health services managers, management, analysts, and computer and information systems managers might want to consider getting a master’s in health informatics. This will help you gain enough knowledge and skills in the fundamentals of information technology, health care, and management. These programs are ideal for healthcare professionals who aim to advance their careers and carve a more promising path in the healthcare industry.
With an Online Master of Science in Health Informatics degree, students and graduates become prepared for careers that combine the principles of a health profession and the challenges of technology and analysis in an informatics-centered career!
We rounded up the online schools offering the MS in Health Informatics program that exhibits these outstanding features:
- Fully online or hybrid classes that allow students to fit studies around their home life and work schedule,
- Comprehensive coursework emphasizing an in-depth look into the principles, policies, and practices involved in the Health Informatics industry for professional competence,
- Generous credit transfer options,
- Online support and student resources are available through a robust Learning Management System designed for web-based graduate studies,
- Board-certified health practitioners make up the online teaching faculty and academic personnel,
- Recognition from accrediting academic organizations, demonstrating full compliance with the standards of graduate education in the field of Health Informatics,
- Proper accreditation from one or two academic agencies as a testament to the quality of graduate education in Health Informatics or related disciplines,
- Positive reviews from educational resources, as well as favorable reviews from program students and/or graduate school alumni.
The 10 Best Online Master’s in Health Informatics Graduate Programs
Slippery Rock University
Since its foundation in 1889, Slippery Rock University has been providing a comprehensive learning experience to students in the state of Pennsylvania and beyond. They have expanded to distance learning with many programs available online. One of which is the Master of Science in Health Informatics.
- This program is designed to help you meet the growing demand for highly trained health informatics professionals. All classes for this degree are offered completely online, making it an ideal choice for career professionals.
- This 100% online degree program takes 10 months if you choose to start in the fall semester. They also have winter, spring, and summer semesters.
- Some subjects covered in this program include technology, data analytics public health, project management, and healthcare, all of which reflect the current industry standards and principles.
- Prospective students must meet the minimum GPA requirement of 3.0 in order to get admitted into the program, although it is also possible for those who do not meet it to apply for conditional admission.
Standout Features of Slippery Rock University’s Online Master of Science in Health Informatics Program:
This program strongly emphasizes the critical analysis and evaluation of the effectiveness of a software system. This allows you to learn how to plan for and ensure the security, integrity, and privacy of data and the confidentiality of its use.
Did You Know?
As a member of Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education, Slippery Rock University offers one of the best health informatics programs in the country. It is home to the Slippery Rock University Center for Community Engagement, Empowerment and Development, a center that engages members of the institution and Butler city communities to mutually benefit from the close partnership.
Considered one of the best colleges in Michigan, Davenport University provides lifelong opportunities to working professionals through online courses that allow distance learning. If you want to become one of the country’s vital health information managers, earning the university’s MS in Health Informatics & Information Management is an ideal choice.
- The classes are accessible online through Davenport’s Global Campus with the guidance of expert faculty experienced in leadership roles in health information management.
- You can earn the degree in less average time if you take courses offered over seven-week sessions.
- The program will prepare you for a diverse range of employment opportunities, including privacy and compliance, data analytics, and data integrity in a variety of work settings.
- The courses for this program include Essentials of Bus Analytics, Health Care Organizations, Financial Management for Health Care, Health Care Security, and more.
- A Capstone experience in Health Informatics Management is required.
- For financial aid, you can qualify for the program’s online health informatics master’s degree graduate scholarships.
Standout Features of Davenport University’s Online Master of Science in Health Informatics Program:
This is one of the 10 programs countrywide that is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management (CAHIIM). Earning this degree gives you the eligibility to sit for the Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) exam.
Did You Know?
The higher learning institution is the first university to be selected for the 2020 Michigan Performance Excellence Award from the Michigan Performance Excellence (MIPEx), given to organizations that demonstrate outstanding performance, leadership, and operational excellence.
It is also the first to earn the ACE/Fidelity Investments Award for Institutional Transformation, an honor given to colleges or universities that responded to challenges in innovative and creative ways during a period of great chance.
Known for its award-winning online programs, Boston University fosters unique collaboration between its Distance Education office and faculty members. One of their offerings is the Master of Science in Health Informatics online program. It is designed to give you a good foundation in modern health information technology, encompassing health data collection, processing, storage, and analysis.
- The program’s primary focus is on electronic medical data generated and stored in healthcare and public health organizations.
- Students are equipped with a solid knowledge of healthcare information systems. This includes health records and a good command of the latest medical technologies.
- There are two optional concentrations offered in the program, namely Applied Data Analytics and Health Information Management.
- Students are expected to work considerably well when it comes to healthcare data, information, knowledge management, and analysis.
- The program has been certified by the Committee on National Security Systems and the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics & Info Management Education.
Standout Features of Boston University’s Online Master of Science in Health Informatics Program:
In 2019, 90% of the students who earned the Health Informatics master’s degree were employed within 6 months. This goes to show that the program is of high quality. In fact, it is a consistent top-rater in rankings of Computer Information Technology programs.
Did You Know?
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation once awarded Boston University a grant to fight newborn mortality in Zambia. The institution was also adopted by Martin Luther King, Jr. as a place where he could hone his message of justice and equality. Boston University has an inherent desire to help students, faculty, and the community at large pursue knowledge that allowed them to accomplish all those notable feats and more.
A veteran-founded, non-profit higher learning institution in San Diego, California, National University provides accessible higher education to adult learners. One of the advanced degree programs they offer is the Master of Science in Health Informatics.
This program provides you with sought-after knowledge and skills in the health industry, preparing you for mid-level and leadership positions.
- In this program, you are able to evaluate various aspects relevant to the field, including the healthcare delivery system, health data management standards, policies and technologies for data protection, and strategies to improve healthcare delivery, among others.
- The coursework encompasses a range of areas such as information technology, informatics, and information systems.
- The program also tackles evidence-based practice, electronic health records, consumer empowerment, care coordination, the structured language of healthcare, and more.
Standout Features of National University’s Online Master of Science in Health Informatics Program:
The program offers great mentorship from experienced faculty who share their great wisdom with students. It allows for shared contribution and collaboration which, in return, expands the limitless opportunities on offer.
Did You Know?
With 75 programs and four-week courses on offer, National University is a pioneer in online education, having opened online classes for more than 20 years. It is also recognized as a top educator of the U.S. military, offering tuition discounts to active service members and their dependence.
University of Central Florida
The University of Central Florida has 25 years of experience in providing online teaching and learning. Consistent with their tradition of offering an innovative approach to education, the university offers a Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics which is fully accessible online.
- The program’s online format is conveniently designed with working professionals in mind.
- It requires the completion of 38 credit hours in a matter of 16-week terms, allowing you to earn the degree within two years.
- The coursework covers areas such as healthcare database management, systems analysis, and biostatistics.
- While the program does not require prerequisites, those with no professional or educational experience will need to complete an additional three credit hours for foundational courses. All of these can be completed while enrolled in the program.
- The program requires you to complete an internship and capstone course.
Standout Features of University of Central Florida’s Online Master of Science in Health Informatics Program:
Students who enrolled in this program have given a satisfaction rate of 91%. The program equips you with the necessary knowledge and skills needed for an excellent health informatics career.
Not only will you gain expertise in data analytics, project management, and communication skills, but you can also obtain sought-after industry credentials to help advance your career. In fact, 91% of those who entered this program graduate with their master’s degree.
Did You Know?
The University of Central Florida’s 25 years of experience in providing top online degrees makes it one of the most trusted sources of innovative education technology. Currently, the institution offers more than 100 online programs with the help of the UCF Online Connect Center where students can find a dedicated staff who can personally support them.
Logan University offers an award-winning Master of Science in Health Informatics program for those who aim to carve a more rewarding career in the field. In this program, you will be taught to unlock the power of data to improve patient care and systems management. The degree can be earned fully online.
- The program allows customization with three academic track options: healthcare leadership, data analytics, or applied informatics.
- The curriculum was developed through the guidance of industry leaders whose perspectives, knowledge, and experience in the field are valuable.
- Since the program is offered 100% online, you can earn this degree virtually anywhere with three 15-week trimesters per year, allowing you to start anytime.
- The program does not require GRE but you should have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a GPA of 2.5 to get admitted.
Standout Features of Logan University’s Online Master of Science in Health Informatics Program:
The MS in Health Informatics program at Logan University is one of the least expensive programs in the country! Students of Logan University are given free membership in the prestigious Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society.
Did You Know?
Grounded in Chiropractic education, Logan University has continuously enriched academic options with degree offerings in health sciences, one of which is the health informatics online program. Being taught the principles of patient-centered health care, the program focuses on patient safety through the efficient use and storage of patient data.
Purdue University is one of the higher learning institutions that can boast recognition from the Healthcare Information and Management System Society (HIMSS) as an Approved Education Partner (AEP) and Academic Organizational Affiliate. Its Master of Health Informatics program allows you to explore the processes and tools that are being utilized to record, store, and analyze health care information.
- The program takes one and a half years to complete with 48 credit hours required. This is equivalent to 15 hours per week of coursework.
- In this program, the areas of healthcare, computer science, and information management intersect to give you the knowledge and skills you need to be an expert in the field of health informatics.
- Students learn to design effective strategies based on concepts of leadership and innovation along with the necessary skills to assess the impact of economics, ethics, and the law in optimizing the field.
- The program’s overall mission is to prepare you to assume key roles in the field of health informatics.
- You need a bachelor’s degree before you can enroll in the master’s degree program.
Standout Features of Purdue University’s Online Master of Science in Health Informatics Program:
Ideal for experienced health care professionals looking for career advancement or transition, the Master of Science in Health Informatics equips you with applicable learning to the real-world issues in the field through a capstone project. It is a 100% online degree that allows you to meet the demands of your career while pursuing your advanced education.
Did You Know?
Purdue University’s global campus has been delivering personalized online education tailored to the needs of working adults. It is recognized as one of the most prestigious research universities in the world, ranking in the top 10 best public universities in the country as recognized by the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education.
University of Cincinnati
As one of the country’s first institutions to offer web-based courses, the University of Cincinnati has a demonstrated history of providing quality distance learning education. One of their current offerings is the Master of Health Informatics. This program will teach you a variety of skills in a wide range of study areas, including health IT, project management, business, and data analytics.
- The University of Cincinnati is recognized as an Approved Education Partner (AEP) by the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society.
- The coursework can be completed 100% online without any campus visit requirements.
- The program boasts of a low faculty-to-student ratio that allows for personalized coaching and feedback.
- You are not required to submit GRE or GMAT requirements but you need to meet the minimum GPE of 3.0.
- The program can admit anyone from any work background, even if they are not from the field of healthcare and IT.
- Students of this program get to access the University of Cincinnati’s expansive healthcare network.
- Graduates of this program are expected to effectively demonstrate their knowledge and skills to lead in changing and managing innovation in healthcare and population health informatics.
Standout Features of University of Cincinnati’s Online Master of Science in Health Informatics Program:
One of the program’s standout features is helping students manage complex projects and data systems by leveraging data to improve patient care delivery and population health. Its unique, multi-disciplinary approach provides students with relevant, real-world skills to grow their professional networks.
You can be sure to learn from the best with leading industry experts and award-winning professors from the nationally ranked Carl H. Lindner College of Business at the helm.
Did You Know?
Providing high-quality online academic programs, the University of Cincinnati knows how to support its students. They provide Enrollment Services Advisors and Student Success Coordinators who understand the demands of a hectic life. These services guide you through the entire admissions process, assisting with the selection of courses and keeping track of your path toward degree completion.
Accredited by the CAHIIM or Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics & Information Management, the master’s in health informatics offered by Drexel University is a good foundation if you want to acquire emerging roles in healthcare that utilize strong information systems and data analytics skills.
The program enables clinicians and consumers to understand or manage medical data.
- The program requires you to earn a bachelor’s degree first before you can get admitted.
- It is a blend of disciplines, including healthcare, business intelligence, information technology, information systems, and data analytics.
- Housed in the College of Computing & Informatics, this program receives curricular support from a number of colleges, such as the College of Nursing & Health Professions, LeBow College of Business, and Dornsife School of Public Health.
- You have to complete a total of 45 quarter credits to earn the degree program. This includes required courses in a range of topics, covering databases, human-computer interaction, software engineering economics, and web systems and architecture.
- It can take you two years to complete the degree on a full-time study. The program allows you to take more courses in a shorter period of time.
Standout Features of Drexel University’s Online Master of Science in Health Informatics Program:
The curriculum of this program is based on the systems of informatics and psycho-social aspects of the healthcare industry. Drexel University ensures the program’s high quality as a member of the American Medical Informatics Association Academic Forum.
Did You Know?
As a top-ranked regionally accredited institution, Drexel University’s multi-disciplinary approach to applied Education makes it one of the ideal choices for institutions offering health informatics programs. Their online programs are quite innovative, offering plenty of support from enrollment counselors, 24/7 tech support, and online access to a number of resources, including the W.W. Hagerty Library, Writing Center, and Steinbright Career Center.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I pursue a Master’s degree in Health Informatics?
Harnessing the power of technology to deliver health care more efficiently with information management education! Health informatics specialists provide the link between patient care and evolving technology. Due to the recent demands for this job position, the field continues to expand, which gives health informatics professionals a wealth of employment opportunities.
A master’s degree in health informatics is quite useful to experienced employees in the field who seek to develop their knowledge and skills further. They will be able to gain an advanced understanding of health informatics and clinical data in the modern age, equipping them with the ability to use health information technology for knowledge management. Health informatics courses also include identifying issues related to the implementation of electronic health records.
Another skill they can gain that is quite valuable to health informatics professionals is applying systems development when utilizing health information systems for delivering health care services.
What can I expect from a Master’s in Health Informatics?
As a diverse field, a health informatics master’s degree covers a range of subjects. This includes health data informatics, telemedicine, health technology informatics, health data analytics, biomedical and health informatics, clinical informatics, ethics, consumer health informatics, information security, healthcare, global health informatics, consumer health informatics, and international healthcare systems, among many others.
Most health informatics program curriculum offers a blend of theoretical and hands-on elements, giving you the chance to gain both knowledge of legal and ethical issues and skills in health care delivery integral for career advancement. All aspects of healthcare information systems and healthcare project management are usually covered in most programs. This includes storage, retrieval, analytics, and secure sharing with multichannel healthcare teams.
What career path can I expect with a Master’s in Health Informatics?
The broad field of health informatics provides a variety of options to online students and graduates. They may pursue careers in a vast range of fields, from private to public sectors.
Some of the most common healthcare leadership job titles include chief medical information officer, clinical analyst, computer systems analyst, clinical informatics specialist, clinical systems analyst, information officer, informatics nurse specialist, healthcare IT project managers, medical records coordinator, and other leadership positions for qualified health care providers and health informatics professionals.
How flexible is an online Master’s in Health Care Informatics degree?
Online programs usually offer flexibility as their standard feature, as most of them are designed for working professionals. An online master’s degree in health informatics may offer a flexible schedule that can fit your busy lifestyle.
Many programs allow their students to complete the coursework at their own pace. Several of the online courses are available 24/7. The program can be earned within a short two-year period, depending on the number of classes that students attend every semester.
Are there specific requirements when applying to a Master’s in Health Informatics program?
Since the field is broad and ever-expanding, the health informatics field has a wide range of people from different industries and sectors. While a background in information technology and business data communication can be helpful, it is not typically required to enter a master’s in health informatics degree. You might, however, need a strong background in mathematics to analyze clinical data if you want to succeed in the program.
Many universities require a bachelor’s degree and a health informatics concentration that supports the health informatics training program for prospective students who want to apply for admission. Your experience in the field can help you plan and choose the medical services concentration track that you will be pursuing.
How will earning a Master’s degree in Health Informatics help me advance my career?
Earning a Master’s degree in Health Informatics will help you advance your career in many ways. An advanced degree in this field will put you in a prime position to work within the rapidly evolving world of healthcare technology.
You will have the skills to use data to identify trends and make better decisions in the healthcare industry. You will also have the ability to develop and maintain Electronic Health Records (EHR) systems, as well as analyze and interpret analytics on population health topics.
Furthermore, you will gain confidence and expertise in health informatics, which will likely open the door for higher-level managerial or higher-paid positions.
Prospective students who want to advance their career in the health care industry may want to consider earning a master’s in health informatics online degree program. It is one of the online programs that introduces health informatics in a more advanced capacity.
Health informatics graduates land healthcare leadership roles in various healthcare organizations, whether in healthcare project management niche or health administration informatics. You also have the opportunity to contribute to the overall improvement of the American healthcare system.