Find your perfect graduate degree
In this article, we will be covering...
After earning an undergraduate in Medicine, pursuing a master's in this important field is often the next sensible step! A graduate degree offers you multiple career opportunities of higher-paying wages, occupational security, and more leadership positions in your field than candidates with only a bachelor's degree.
As the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics affirms, earning more annually from your career is often a result of finishing greater levels of education.
Quick audio summary:
Medical education, including medicine degrees, by default, is broad. However, all master's degrees in medicine use science courses to give students a better understanding of the medical field they're into.
A master's degree in medicine generally covers anatomy, biology, biochemistry, biophysics, and genetics regardless of concentration or degree. Students enrolled in a master of medicine usually study pathology and immunology to understand how diseases affect humans and, to some degree, animals.
Take A Look At Our Best Picks. Use these Page Jumps!
- Drexel University
- Abilene Christian University
- Missouri Online
- Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
- University of Georgia
After years of studying for a bachelor's in Medicine, you're now finally ready to find employment. If becoming an expert in your field specialization is in your plans, returning to med school and getting a master's degree in medicine makes sense.
Obtaining a Master of Medicine entails choosing the right graduate school matters! Our list consists of the country's leading universities offering the master's program online, emphasizing academic excellence through these program features:
- Mostly hybrid learning format to provide master's level medical sciences degree seekers, who are often adult learner-professionals, a convenient way to obtain the program,
- The core courses in Medicine are emphasized, to educate students on the latest technologies, principles, and practices relating to the discipline as they apply for actual work in the medical field,
- An online Master of Medicine education that focuses on developing not only the academic acumen of graduate students but also the attributes that make them competent professionals, including skills in research, analysis, teamwork, critical thinking, ethical practices, communication, and problem-solving,
- The teaching personnel consist of terminal degree holders who excel in their own specializations,
- The Master of Medicine program offers accelerated completion options, as applicable, as well as generous transfer credit arrangements,
- Qualified Master of Medicine online students are provided options to apply for financial assistance,
- The Master of Medicine program and medical school have earned appropriate accreditation from organizations that establish the official standards of instruction to demonstrate high academic quality,
- The university or medical school maintains an active affiliation with groups that promote the latest in the field and work for the advancement of the practice
Please read our Methodology for an in-depth look at our ranking process.
5 Best Online Master of Medicine Graduate Schools
Drexel University offers over 150 online programs, including a thorough graduate education that includes research opportunities and access to cutting-edge facilities and laboratories. The MSCHE or Middle States Commission on Higher Education has granted Drexel University regional accreditation.
- The Master of Science in Biomedicine and Business can be completed 100% online.
- Both full-time (at least 9.0 credits per semester) and part-time options are available for students to complete the graduate degree requirements.
- Full-time students complete this program in about one year, whereas part-time students take two to three years.
- To be eligible for financial help, students must be enrolled in at least 4.5-semester credits.
- This online program allows students to add graduate minors to their plan of study to help them obtain more career opportunities.
Standout Features of Drexel University - Online Master of Science in Biomedicine and Business:
Drexel University's online MSc in Biomedicine and Business allows students to enter a health sciences program with scientific discovery, business, and technology commercialization in mind.
These three combinations are best for students who want to become health service managers or those looking forward to doing business in medical settings, including academics, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals, non-profit organizations, and other fields that demand professionals with medical and business backgrounds.
Basically, this master's degree serves as a better substitute for healthcare management programs.
Did You Know?
Drexel University is one of the 100 best R1-level research institutions globally. R1 classification draws bright academics and researchers.
Abilene Christian University
Abilene Christian University is one of Abilene’s most outstanding private Christian universities accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges. ACU is nationally recognized for student success, teaching, and innovation.
A flexible format better accommodates your schedule, while our vibrant, virtual Christ-centered community fosters and supports your personal and career success.
- Students can anticipate and understand how to use the latest techniques influencing medical research, patient care, population health, and drug development.
- The online Master's in Precision Medicine program's curricula include a variety of genetics-related topics and introduce you to software that may be used to collect and analyze data for research, diagnosis, and therapy.
- This master's degree will equip students with the knowledge and expertise necessary to use the most recent molecular diagnostic methods and analytical methodologies.
Standout Features of University of Abilene Christian University - Online Master Of Science In Precision Medicine:
Students who complete the MSc in Precision Medicine program will have the knowledge and abilities to plan and carry out precise health informatics and treatment protocols for patients with severe illnesses using the most recent molecular diagnostic techniques and analytics procedures. Graduates will have a significant role in the healthcare industry.
Did You Know?
The only institution from Texas to receive rankings in four of the eight categories is ACU. ACU placed 15th overall among Regional Universities in the 2021 edition of "America's Best Colleges" (West). Abilene Christian was ranked #3 for best undergraduate teaching in the Regional Universities (West) rankings.
At Missouri Online, you can connect with and learn from academics who will help you succeed. Missouri Online offers an education that follows the legal and regulatory requirements and will feed your passion without getting in the way of your current lifestyle. Missouri Online is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). Additionally, the medical school received accreditation from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education.
- This curriculum is entirely delivered online; no on-campus trips are necessary.
- At least 30 credits are required for completion.
- There are two ways to study for this program: Clinical Administration and Education and Clinical Study.
- Second-year students will enroll in clinical education/administration in Field Experience in Medical Education.
- Instead of taking the fieldwork course, clinical research students enroll in F C MD 8450 Research in Community Health.
- Students may register for up to 9 credits as non-degree-seeking students before being accepted into the program.
Standout Features of University of Missouri Online - Master of Science Academic Medicine:
Missouri Online will prepare you for your future academic profession. And being the first of its kind in the country, you're sure to learn all the current trends in the educational field. You'll study epidemiology, evidence-based medicine, health care systems, learning strategies in clinical education, medical education, and research methods.
Did You Know?
Missouri Online is more than just online education. Missouri Online was established on the exceptional academic strength of the four University of Missouri System institutions (Mizzou, UMKC, Missouri S&T, and UMSL).
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science is one of the best private universities in Illinois that has earned the Liaison Committee on Medical Education accreditation. Students looking for an interdisciplinary approach in medical school should consider RFU. They offer rigorous academic requirements, world-class research, first-rate facilities, and a wide range of extracurricular activities.
- Healthcare professionals have the option to complete this online curriculum at their own pace.
- Admission requirements include a bachelor's degree with a cumulative minimum GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale. Students also need to present proof of completion in two life/physical science courses.
- Health care professionals and students will be exposed to the foundations of cooking.
- This online MSc in Lifestyle Medicine requires students to complete 45 credit hours of course work.
Standout Features of Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science - Master of Science in Lifestyle Medicine:
Students enrolled in the online MSc in Lifestyle Medicine will learn the most recent and comprehensive review of public health and human nutrition based on scientific facts, including how to promote a balanced diet and assimilate nutrients from food.
The personalized learning experience is created to match the student's individual educational needs, focused on research, education, health care policy, or healthcare administration.
Did You Know?
Being a student at RFU has certain special benefits, including student groups. There are no other graduate-level health professions and science universities with this degree of activity and commitment, with over 80 organizations, 1,000+ annual events, and over 400 student leaders.
University of Georgia
The University of Georgia, a public land-grant research university, provides online learning to professionals who don't have the time to attend traditional brick-and-mortar classes.
By providing an increasing number of online graduate degrees and certificate programs taught by some of the top minds in their areas, UGA is setting the bar for online education. UGA is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
- UGA's MSc in Comparative Biomedical Sciences is a 30 credit hours degree that can be completed 100% online with no thesis required to graduate.
- Students need to submit proof of a Computer with the current operating system. You also need a webcam, headphones, printers, and high-speed internet access.
- Full-time students can complete this in one year, and at least two years for part-time students.
Standout Features of Purdue University of Georgia - Online Master of Science in Comparative Biomedical Sciences:
Students can strengthen their academic credentials and become ready for admission to a health professional medical sciences degree or a biomedical career with the help of UGA's online MSc in Comparative Biomedical Sciences.
The biological training provided in this one-year master's program will serve as a solid foundation for professional school curricula because it underpins and supports medicine.
Did You Know?
Georgia's oldest, biggest, and most comprehensive educational institution is the University of Georgia (UGA). The ideals guiding its charter helped build the groundwork for the American public higher education system.
Established in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly, UGA was the first institution in America to be launched by a state legislature.
Skills That Make An Excellent Medicine Student
Science and quantitative skills
To succeed in the field of medicine, medicine majors must possess strong analytical and science skills. Since science (and occasionally math) will make up most of your subjects, you should be able to handle the rigorous coursework required for health and medicine degrees.
Attention to detail
Medicine majors are meticulous in every step of the procedure because medicine is a career that values attention to detail. If you want to succeed in college and beyond, you'll need to make sure your T's are crossed, and I's are dotted at every step of the journey, from filling out paperwork to working with actual patients.
Medicine is about addressing the myriad problems that other people face, and you frequently need to devise original and creative ways to do so. Students majoring in medicine should enjoy facing new issues and developing innovative solutions.
Ability to work well under pressure
Students majoring in health and medicine are routinely pushed to their limitations to devise speedy solutions, whether taking challenging tests or trying to diagnose a condition. If you thrive under pressure, you won't be intimidated by anything that comes your way during your time in college.
You will frequently interact with patients and other healthcare workers, so being able to remain composed and supportive is crucial.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is an online master's degree as reputable as an in-person master's degree?
Employers should accept an online degree from an accredited college with the same standards and reputation as an on-campus degree. The coursework, academic difficulty, and time commitment in an online healthcare master's degree will be the same as or equivalent to those of traditional programs.
What are the highest paying careers for graduates with a Master's in Medicine and Healthcare?
According to BLS data, the highest paying positions for graduates with a master of medicine degree are nurse midwives, nurse anesthetists, and nurse practitioners. Their anticipated median salary is $123,780. Patients receive both specialized and primary care from nurse anesthetists, nurse midwives, and nurse practitioners.
How long does it take a student to typically complete a Master's degree in Medicine?
After earning an undergraduate degree, it usually takes 1-3 years to acquire a master's degree. Non-traditional students who need to balance their career and school life may take longer. Numerous colleges also offer an accelerated program that cuts the required coursework for a degree in half.
- A master's degree in medicine is a broad field that allows students with an undergraduate degree to expand their knowledge and skills in their areas.
- A master's degree in medicine also serves as a great way to prepare for a doctoral-level graduate degree or research potential careers in a relevant profession while studying a subject you find fascinating.
- This degree level will build your expertise in cutting-edge techniques and technologies in your field.
- Online master's degrees in medicine will be just as credible as those earned from traditional programs as long as the graduate school holds accreditation from regional accrediting associations.
- Online schools can also extend financial aid opportunities to students who need it the most.