Helping accomplish human activities with increased speed and precision, Robotics is a field that focuses on innovation. The primary objective of the Robotics Engineering program is to develop equipment and devices that are excellent alternatives to human activities.
Initially, robots served specific purposes for critical situations, including bomb deactivation. Robotics is also critical in raising ROI and productivity in manufacturing processes. Today, robots replace practically any task, including basic household work!
Robotics is a multidisciplinary field that blends the elements of business, information technology/computer science, electrical engineering, and mechanical engineering. Because of its complex nature, only a few schools offer an Online Master of Robotics Engineering program. Some of them deliver the courses 100% online with minimal on-campus laboratory requirements.
In-person laboratory classes in Robotics allow students to obtain practical technology experience. Internships are also required in some online programs. Like many IT-related programs, a Robotics program generally features computer models, network components, software, and programming languages.
If you are a Mathematics, Mechanics, Electronics, Engineering, and Programming major, pursuing an Online Master of Robotics Engineering could very well be your next academic objective!
An online Master’s in Robotics Engineering degree equips students with the skills and information necessary to snag a position in a tech- and innovation-driven industry that focuses on AI and automation.
Choosing a top-rated online Master’s in Robotics Engineering is a practical step for professionals who want to obtain the best education and training. An online graduate school must not only provide the convenience of fitting your learning around work obligations; it must deliver high-quality instruction and excellent student resources.
The 10 Best Online Master’s of Robotics Engineering Graduate Schools on our list stand out with these program features:
- Fully online or hybrid or blended format in flexible class schedules for the convenience of non-traditional, professional students,
- Rigorous, comprehensive coursework that covers the full spectrum of the Robotics Engineering discipline at the master’s level,
- A selection of Robotics Engineering specializations or areas of study toward specific career tracks,
- Credit transfers,
- Stellar reviews from academic rankings, and positive feedback from alumni and students,
- Financial assistance for qualified master’s students,
- Full accreditation from academic agencies, and active memberships in industry organizations.
Best Online Master’s of Robotics Engineering Graduate Schools
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
: 100 Institute Road, Worcester, MA
: 508 831 5000
Worcester Polytechnic Institute is one of the first institutions of higher learning in the country to integrate project-based learning in its undergraduate program. Through the WPI Plan, students are required to apply their acquired abilities, knowledge, and proficiencies to create solutions for real-world challenges. Today, the university is helping other schools implement experiential learning on their curricula through the Center for Project-Based Learning.
- WPI’s online Master’s in Robotics Engineering program requires 30 credit hours for degree completion.
- The 30-credit hour graduate program in Robotics Engineering has ten courses, including a capstone requirement.
- A baccalaureate or graduate degree in Robotics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related program is required.
- Two to three courses in computer science, electrical & computer engineering, and mechanical engineering are required as part of the prerequisite courses.
- Students must be familiar with OOP languages, including Python, Perl, Java, and C/C++. Otherwise, they are required to complete a suitable college course to refresh their programming skills before enrollment.
Standout Features of Worcester Polytechnic Institute’s Online Master’s in Robotics Engineering Program:
Worcester Polytechnic Institute’s online Master’s in Robotics Engineering is the first exclusive robotics engineering program offered entirely online and on-campus. As a pioneering curriculum, students will upgrade their skills and expertise in mechanical and mathematical frameworks essential for developing efficient robotic systems. WPI has introduced an online specialization in Autonomous Vehicles for students interested in the future of innovative transportation.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute consistently receives awards and recognition annually from a diverse range of prominent companies and publications. It is recognized as an institution that promotes excellence, equity, and employability.
Indiana State University
: 200 North Seventh Street, Terre Haute, Indiana 47809-1902
: 812 237 3773
Headquartered in Terre Haute, Indiana State University is a public research university that offers more than 70 online programs and 100+ majors for both undergraduate and graduate students. The university earns its regional accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission.
- Indiana State University’s online Master of Science in Electronics and Computer Technology program is offered in full-time or part-time learning to accommodate all kinds of learners.
- Thirty-three credit hours of graduate-level coursework are needed for degree completion.
- Apart from 100% online courses, students must complete a 3-credit hour culminating experience during the last semester of coursework or after 24 credit hours.
- With a simplified admission process, matriculation requirements include a completed online application, official transcripts, and undergraduate degree.
- GRE isn’t required for enrollment.
Standout Features of Indiana State University’s Online Master of Science in Electronics and Computer Technology Program:
The Indiana State University also offers a specialization program in Automation & Controls, an excellent alternative to Robotics Engineering.
Since 1899, Indiana State University has had the same colors, blue and white, as its official school colors. Its traditional symbols are the torch and the book, and they are celebrated in a traditional rite confirming seniors’ desire to become active alumni at ISU.
Georgia Institute of Technology
: North Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30332
: 404 894 2000
Georgia Institute of Technology is one of the prestigious schools in the United States, with almost 40,000 students in both on-campus and distance learning programs. Its main campus is located in Atlanta, Georgia. However, Georgia Tech has international headquarters in France and China. As one of the South’s biggest engineering and industrial research institutions, it has a major role in the Georgia Research Alliance. It is one of the leading institutions that serve as a centerpiece of the state’s economic growth and development strategy.
- The Georgia Tech’s online Master of Science in Computer Science degree program offers a specialization in Computational Perception and Robotics.
- The core curriculum requires 30 hours, equivalent to ten online courses. Aside from that, students are required to complete one specialization.
- As part of the specialization requirements, students must complete 15 to 18 hours or five to six courses.
- Other specializations offered in the OMS CS program are inclined to robotics studies, including Machine Learning, Interactive Intelligence, and Computing Systems.
- Interested applicants must submit a completed online application, three letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and English Proficiency Requirements regardless of citizenship.
Standout Features of Georgia Institute of Technology’s Online Master of Science in Computer Science – Computational Perception and Robotics Program:
The Georgia Tech – Online Master of Science in Computer Science specializes in Computational Perception and Robotics. Dubbed OMS CS, this program is a collaboration project of AT&T, Udacity, and the Georgia Institute of Technology.
Georgia Institute of Technology has numerous nationally recognized academic programs from publications and organizations alike. In terms of Return on Investment, Georgia Tech is ranked by PayScale as the #1 in Georgia and #13 overall in the US for providing excellent 20-year ROI. Approximately 700+ organizations, industries, and businesses in the US and worldwide hire Georgia Tech interns and co-op students annually.
University of Wisconsin-Madison
: 217 Bascom Hall, 500 Lincoln Dr, Madison, WI 53706
: 608 262 2433
The University of Wisconsin-Madison is a top-rated public research institution featuring a range of professional programs focusing on liberal arts studies and the sciences. UW-Madison College of Engineering is a pioneer in continuing education.
- UW-Madison’s online Master of Engineering: Manufacturing Systems Engineering program integrates robotics-related courses into its curriculum.
- The 30-credit hour online MSE program can be earned within 24 to 36 months, depending on the students’ pace of learning.
- Students can freely choose their set of electives, making the program one of the best alternatives to a graduate program in Robotics Engineering.
- As part of its culminating requirement, students are required to complete their capstone course.
- Upon enrollment, students can transfer a maximum of six credits of graduate coursework.
Standout Features of the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Online Master of Engineering: Manufacturing Systems Engineering Program:
The online Master of Engineering: The Manufacturing Systems Engineering program at UW-Madison educates and trains students in cross-functional expertise to initiate process development and creative product. The program features a systematic learning approach to technology, materials, and finance. Designed for working professionals, students can access a one-stop online platform for student resources and courses.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison presents a variety of significant achievements and milestones. During the 1910s, the university discovered vitamins and cultured embryonic stem cells in the same decade. In terms of economic impact, UW-Madison has generated $1B state and local taxes and $30.8B from UW-affiliated startups and organizations. 92% of the university’s economic impact benefits the private sectors.
: 800 E. Lancaster Ave., Villanova, PA 19085
: 610 519 4500
In 1842, the Order of St. Augustine founded Villanova University. Today, the university’s Augustinian Catholic tradition has been the cornerstone of a learning community where students learn, act, and succeed while serving others through compassionate acts. With roots in liberal arts studies, Villanova’s rigorous academic experience develops a setting where professors and students become partners in learning. The university has 11,000 law, graduate, and undergraduate students across Villanova’s six colleges, including the College of Engineering.
- Villanova University’s online Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering offers two options, namely Non-Thesis and Thesis.
- Both options require 30 credit hours for degree completion, including 24 course credits and 6-credit hour research for the thesis option.
- The 30-credit hour program offers four areas of study: Biomedical Engineering, Dynamics and Controls, Thermal Fluids Sciences, and Mechanics, Materials, and Manufacturing.
- Only research and graduate assistants have a mandatory thesis for degree completion. Other students are optional.
- Students can either participate in synchronous E-Learning or their schedule through recorded lectures and discussions with flexible options.
Standout Features of Villanova University’s Online Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering Program:
Villanova University’s online Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering program is one of the holistic graduate programs related to Robotics Engineering. It has a comprehensive, relevant, and modern program that discusses the aspects of dynamics and control, materials and mechanics, and thermal sciences. The program features courses in emerging fields like nanotechnology and bioengineering. Villanova’s graduate program is a hybrid between robotics engineering and mechanical engineering.
Villanova University integrates sustainability into its institutional policies and regulations, research initiatives, and courses. As one of the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment signatories, the university thrives on working and remaining steadfast in its commitment to achieving net climate neutrality.
: 415 South Street, Waltham, MA 02453
: 781 736 8787
Brandeis University is a Massachusetts-based private research university with a primary focus on liberal arts and a leader in the Robotics field.
- Brandeis University’s online Master of Science in Robotic Software Engineering program can earn as little as 18 months.
- Once students have at least 30 credit hours, they can graduate from the Robotic Software Engineering program.
- To enroll, applicants must already have a baccalaureate degree in Software Engineering/Computer Science.
- Students with a bachelor’s degree in another field of study must have two to three years of professional experience in software engineering and completed undergraduate coursework consisting of Calculus I and II, Advanced C++, and Introduction to Python.
- The program is a 100% online program and can be completed on a part-time basis.
Standout Features of Brandeis University’s Online Master of Science in Robotic Software Engineering Program:
Brandeis University’s online Master of Science in Robotic Software Engineering program is the first graduate program of its kind in the state. Students design and program end-to-end software solutions to develop autonomous robots.
While focusing on modern tech and innovation, Brandeis University’s core foundation is rooted in Jewish history, philosophy, and experience. It is one of the few higher learning schools in the US with inclusivity as a founding principle.
Stevens Institute of Technology
: 1 Castle Point Terrace, Hoboken, NJ 07030
: 201 216 5000
Tracing its roots to “America’s First Family of Innovators,” Stevens Institute of Technology has innovation as part of its academic DNA. The Stevens Family is credited for revolutionizing American engineering with railroad tracks, locomotives, and steamboats as some of its innovative projects. Two years after the death of Edwin A. Steven, the school opened and offered a rigorous Mechanical Engineering program.
- Stevens’ online Robotics Master’s program is offered through the Department of Mechanical Engineering, one of the pioneering programs in the institution.
- Thesis and Non-Thesis options are available.
- The program is an accelerated 1-year master’s study option, featuring online and evening courses to accommodate students’ busy schedules.
- Matriculation requirements include an accomplished online application, application fee, official transcripts, two letters of recommendation, personal statement, and GRE/GMAT scores.
- A GRE/GMAT Score Waiver is open to all qualified applicants, depending on their status and credentials.
Standout Features of Stevens Institute of Technology’s Online Robotics Master’s Program:
Stevens Institute of Technology’s Online Robotics Master’s program is one of the diverse graduate programs in Robotics Engineering in New Jersey. Students can learn from a 100% customizable curriculum with a diverse range of multidisciplinary course offerings. The graduate school also runs a generous credit transfer program.
Stevens Institute of Technology first opened its establishment to women in 1971. A decade later, the school became the 1st major American academic institution requiring each student to purchase and use PCs in the classroom. In the same period, Stevens developed one of the pioneering intranets in the nation, paving the way for a revolutionary and golden age of Information Technology.
East Coast Polytechnic Institute University
: 5555 Greenwich Rd., Virginia Beach, VA 23462
: 844 334 4466
In 1966, East Coast Polytechnic Institute University was established in Norfolk, Virginia. It demonstrated its passion and commitment to an innovative, market-based curriculum early on, making it one of the first universities to teach courses in the emerging field of computer science and programming. ECPI highlights a student-centered academic setting, advocating the development of every student’s personal and professional life through high-quality education. ECPI receives its regional accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
- ECPI’s Master of Science in Systems Engineering – Mechatronics program helps students build a strong foundation in Automation and Control, Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition, and Robotics.
- Students can earn their 100% online graduate program in less than two years.
- As one of the unique Mechatronics programs, it features elective courses in business-related concepts, including Ethics and Corporate Responsibility, Management and Strategy, and Essentials of Leadership.
- Students participate in a 5-week schedule, completing one to two classes per semester.
- An on-demand tutoring service is available seven days a week.
Standout Features of East Coast Polytechnic Institute University’s Online Master of Science in Systems Engineering – Mechatronics Program:
East Coast Polytechnic Institute University’s online Master of Science in Systems Engineering program features a concentration in Mechatronics, making it one of the best Robotics Engineering-aligned options for students around Virginia. With ECPI’s 15 years of expertise in online learning, students enjoy a unique, collaborative, and accelerated learning platform. Students can graduate from the Mechatronics program in as little as 13 months through the university’s year-round schedule. It is one of the Mechatronics programs in the country that includes business fundamentals as part of its elective requirements.
East Coast Polytechnic Institute University is ranked by the Military Times as one of 2020’s military-friendly schools and Best Colleges for Vets for nine consecutive years. The university has provided academic opportunities to active-duty service members and their dependents for more than 50 years. ECPI features a variety of professional development courses and certifications aside from students’ degree programs. It offers several industry-aligned and recognized certifications, providing students with the opportunity to strengthen their proficiencies and expertise.
University of Cincinnati
: 2600 Clifton Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45221
: 513 556 6000
The University of Cincinnati online offers the highest quality of learning tools and resources and the highest level of flexibility and convenience to help students achieve their career aspirations. All of UC’s online degree programs are taught by nationally recognized faculty members, providing the same quality of learning as their on-campus counterparts. Innovation is the bloodline of UC’s academics, and it is one of the first schools to introduce online courses for non-traditional learners.
- UC’s online Master of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering program can be accomplished within 18 months of full-time learning.
- Faculty members teach each course with direct professional experience in the related industry.
- The 30-credit hour graduate program has a curriculum integrated with Industry 4.0 Domains of Knowledge.
- Interested applicants can enroll in the spring, summer, or fall semesters.
- A Master of Engineering Capstone Project is required, in which students complete a project under the direct supervision of a program faculty.
Standout Features of the University of Cincinnati’s Online Master of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering Program:
The University of Cincinnati’s online Master of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering program is a non-research, practical, and pragmatic program, enabling future professionals to contribute to the mechanical engineering and business sectors. If you are a registered engineer, UC’s graduate program is an academically aligned alternative to meet the continuing education credentials to maintain licensure. The program emphasizes the next technological advancements within the manufacturing industry. UC’s graduate program in Mechanical Engineering is an ABET-accredited program.
As a top-ranked public research university in Ohio, the University of Cincinnati provides both on-campus and online students with a balance of real-world experience and academic excellence. Approximately 27% of UC’s graduating population are first-generation college students committed to inclusivity.
Old Dominion University
: Gornto Hall, Norfolk, VA 23529
: 800 968 2638
Old Dominion University is widely recognized as a research institution for entrepreneurial minds. The university is home to eight academic colleges and one graduate school, including the Batten College of Engineering and Technology. ODU offers 150+ bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral, and education specialist degree programs, while more than 100 online programs are offered through ODUOnline. The university receives accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
- ODU’s online Master of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering program requires at least 30 credit hours, depending on students’ undergraduate credentials.
- The program is offered through Batten College of Engineering & Technology and the Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Department.
- The 100% online graduate program focuses on Product Lifecycle Management solutions for engaging data environments.
- Students will accomplish four core courses in mechanical engineering. Aside from that, they must take additional six elective courses related to their area of interest.
- The program culminates with a comprehensive examination, including oral and written presentations.
Standout Features of Old Dominion University’s Online Master of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering Program:
As a distance learner of Old Dominion University’s online Master of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering program, you will access various student support services, including lifetime benefits and free software applications. Lifetime benefits include career services and networking opportunities consisting of 140,000+ alumni worldwide. The holistic program prepares students for professional practice in various careers, including the robotics industry. Since most classes don’t have fixed schedules, students can easily fit their studies into their schedules without compromising other aspects of their lives.
Old Dominion University is the 2nd biggest percentage of degree holders among doctoral universities in Virginia. Approximately 94% of ODU alumni are employed or pursuing graduate studies within six months after graduation. The Military Times has ranked ODU as #1 in the Best for Vets in Virginia ranking. Whether it’s on-campus or distance learning, the university is Virginia’s most affordable public doctoral institution of higher studies.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an online Master of Robotics Engineering program?
A graduate program in Robotics Engineering covers the full spectrum of the study. Students gain an in-depth understanding of the mechanical components (mechanical engineering), the electrical systems for control and operations (electrical engineering), and the computing systems or software for the specific processes (IT). All components must work efficiently for robots to function seamlessly.
At the online master’s level, Robotics Engineering emphasizes the areas of conceptualization, design, development, operation, and maintenance of robots. While the foundation of robotics is similar to IT/Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, and Electrical Engineering, the principles of Psychology and Design also form an essential part of the study.
Although many graduate schools feature Robotics Research in their IT, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering divisions, few institutions present a comprehensive, stand-alone Robotics department. Some schools run the general online Master of Robotics Engineering program or integrate Robotics in their Mechanical Engineering or Computer Science curricula. Others offer Robotics specializations.
What are the different specializations of an online Master of Robotics Engineering program?
On top of completing the core courses and a set of electives in the online Master of Robotics Engineering program, students may choose from these specializations:
- Robotics Manipulation, Perception, and Design explores the neural functions of robots to explain their behavior and senses.
- Robotics and Autonomous Systems combines Engineering and Machine Learning for functionality in robotics.
- Mechatronic is a new field that features how the principles of computer, electrical, and mechanical engineering work together to develop complex smart machines.
What are some of the courses in the curriculum of an online Master of Robotics Engineering program?
Each course in Robotics covers the applications of mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering concepts. It also emphasizes the psychological and ethical aspects of machine development, particularly in the areas of planning, conceptualization, development, operation, and research.
Online Robotics courses typically include the following:
- History of Robotics provides an overview of the chronology of robotics, with emphasis on manufacturing and automation concepts, processes, and limitations.
- Artificial Intelligence explores the foundations, controller components, and applications involved in AI.
- Fundamentals of Robotics Engineering covers the conceptualization, design, and development of a robot to accomplish simple human activities such as identifying, picking up, and moving objects.
- Modeling and Simulation covers robot assembly blueprints, orthographic views, and isometric views. A previously completed course in Modeling and Simulation or related study is required in this coursework.
- Systems Engineering is associated with software development, integration, and life cycle.
How long will it take to complete an online Master of Robotics Engineering degree?
Students pursuing an online Master of Robotics Engineering degree can complete the program within 24 months on average. Some schools offer part-time learning options for adult students aiming for career advancement. A few universities also offer an accelerated Master of Robotics Engineering program.
Are there any associations for students pursuing an online Master of Robotics Engineering?
Join organized communities, associations, and networking opportunities for the latest updates and trends in the field of Robotics:
The IEEE Robotics & Automation Society aims to advance the practice and theories of automation engineering and robotics and arts and sciences.
Formerly Robotics Industries Association, the Association For Advancing Automation is a premier international trade association of industrial AI, motion control, machine vision, and robotics industries. It is a trade group consisting of the Motion Control and Motors Association, AIA-Advancing Vision+ Imaging, and the Robotics Industries Association. The A3 is a new one-stop shop for all things robotics and the automation ecosystem as a whole.
The Robotics Society of Southern California is one of the world’s frontrunners in promoting and advancing the Robotics field. This experimental robotics club was founded in the 1970s.