Find your perfect graduate degree
In this article, we will be covering...
In medical science, surgery is a field where an illness or injury is treated through surgical interventions. Its procedures are mostly done by cutting, altering, and suturing damaged tissues or removing malignant ones as part of the treatment process.
Surgery is one of the most sought-after and fastest-growing fields in medical practice worldwide, and it offers a lot of career opportunities. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of jobs available to surgeons and physicians in 2022 was 816,900. This profession is also growing at a rate of 3% from 2022 to 2032, which is just as fast as the average rate for other jobs.
Quick audio summary:
A Master's in Surgery degree program involves intensive training. Students expect to overcome the hurdles of an extremely rigorous curriculum. For this reason, this graduate program is rarely offered online or in a hybrid format in the United States.
We gathered the Best Online Master’s of Surgery Graduate Schools, featuring Surgical Medicine in particular, for interested students seeking graduate-level expertise in this field. Each of the online or hybrid Master's of Surgery programs featured here is offered by universities that maintain a positive reputation and are fully accredited.
These factors were taken into account to that the Best Online Master’s of Surgery Graduate Schools on our list meet or surpass academic standards:
- 100% Online or blended/hybrid courses featuring flexible class schedules,
- Financial aid for Online Master's of Surgery students who meet the requirements and qualify,
- A rigorous master's degree-level Surgery coursework, emphasizing up-to-date practices and principles and enhancing each graduate student's competence in this important field,
- Readily available online resources on the web-based learning platform and support from the program's academic personnel,
- Transfer credit options and fast-track completion opportunities, as may be offered by the online program,
- Positive reviews from accredited resources, and favorable feedback from alumni and students,
- Full accreditation from online graduate school governing bodies and recognition from industry organizations.
Best Online Master's of Surgery Graduate Schools (Surgical Medicine)
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus
Department of Surgery
: 420 Delaware Street SE, MMC 195, Minneapolis, MN 55455
Master of Science in Surgery (Online - to be converted to On-campus)
The University of Minnesota's Department of Surgery provides its residents with world-class research facilities and quality training. Medical professionals can enhance their knowledge and skills in surgery by choosing from any of these two Master of Science in Surgery specializations:
- Vascular Surgery is a specialization that the university offers via two training pathways accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). These are the Integrated Program, a five-year residency program, and Independent Program, a two-year fellowship for doctors who graduated from a general surgery residency program accredited by the ACGME. Once you graduate from these programs, you are eligible for certification by the Vascular Surgery Board of the American Board of Surgery.
- Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery is an integrated residency program that guarantees to give you a balanced educational experience. It provides you with the training you need to become an insightful and effective plastic and reconstructive surgeon and clinician.
The university offers its master of science in surgery online at the start of its classes in September 2021, but these will eventually be converted to on-campus classes on an undisclosed date.
If you want to be a part of the University of Minnesota's Master of Science in Surgery degree program, you should comply with these requirements:
- A Bachelor of Medicine or Bachelor of Surgery degree from an accredited college or university,
- A Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale,
- Proof of English proficiency, for non-English speakers,
- Two- or three-year experience in a general surgery training program
Standout Features of the University of Minnesota's Master of Science in Surgery Degree Program
The University of Minnesota's Department of Surgery is a hub for comprehensive surgery fellowships and residency programs. Its areas of specialty include vascular surgery, cardiothoracic surgery, and many more.
Additionally, the university has a strong research program. It can provide its students and faculty with opportunities to take part in clinical innovation and scientific discoveries.
Established in 1888, the University of Minnesota College of Medicine is one of the largest in the United States.
Advent Health University
: 671 Winyah Drive, Orlando, FL 32803-1226
: (407) 890-8040
Master of Science in Robotic Surgery (Blended)
Advent Health University's Master of Science in Robotic Surgery (MSRS) program is designed for doctors with different specialties in the surgical field. Robotic surgery can be applied in general surgery, urology, gynecology, thoracic, bariatrics, and ENT.
While the program is open to applicants worldwide, its lessons aren't delivered 100% online because it requires a combination of self-study and face-to-face coursework. As a student of the university's Master of Science in Robotic Surgery program, you will be required to undergo hands-on robotic training courses at Advent Health Nicholson Center for your Certificate in Advanced Robotic Surgery (CARS) certification.
If you wish to apply for admission to Advent University's Master of Science in Robotic Surgery degree program, you must complete the following requirements:
- Apply online and pay the non-refundable application fee,
- Official transcripts from each college or university you've previously attended,
- Transcripts must be delivered electronically or mailed by each school to AHU,
- A Grade Point Average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale,
- A Certificate from the Nicholson Center that you have completed the Advanced Robotic Surgery,
- Certificate of current employment in the healthcare field,
- A copy of your current licensure,
- An updated resume,
- An essay stating your personal and career goals and your reasons for choosing a faith-based institution like Advent Health University,
- Two letters of recommendation - one from a former professor and one from your supervisor
Standout Features of Advent Health University's Master of Science in Robotic Surgery
The rise in the demand for robotic surgery and the limited demand for doctors trained in this field indicate that great personal and career opportunities await you in this field.
Robotics and surgery are worlds apart. But with the use of technology in promoting health and saving human lives, acquiring skills in robotic surgery can set you apart from the rest in the field of surgical medicine. Modern hospitals and healthcare organizations are starting to adopt this methodology, and if you decide to take this degree now, you will certainly be a beneficiary of this new surgical expertise.
On November 7, 2013, Advent Health University was awarded second place by the Florida Campus Compact for its exceptional service programs in the State of Florida. FLCC is an association of more than 50 Florida college and university presidents who support and contribute to the development of Florida communities.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Master of Surgery Degree?
The Master of Surgery, abbreviated as ChM, MCh, MChir, or MS, is the highest level in surgical medicine. It is a three-year postgraduate program intended for medical professionals who want to advance their knowledge and skills in surgery.
Established in Great Britain in the 19th century, the main objective of the Master of Surgery degree program is to train students and develop their knowledge, skills, and techniques in surgery - whatever specialization they may have.
Aside from mastering surgical procedures and techniques, the Master of Surgery degree program will also enhance your knowledge about human diseases and their treatments. Here, you will learn more about the theoretical aspects of other branches of medicine, including public health, epidemiology, pathology, and pharmacology.
Why will I Study for a Master of Surgery?
If you want to be acknowledged as a certified expert in the field of surgery, you should earn a master of surgery degree. From here, you can start sharpening and refining your skills and building your career in this field. Once you complete the program, many career opportunities will be waiting for you in various government and private health institutions.
As a master of surgery graduate, you will have the opportunity to be a cut above the rest - even among a group of surgeons. Remember, not all surgeons are holders of a master of surgery degree. With that said, having a master's degree will certainly improve your opportunity to advance your skills, experience, and career in your chosen field.
What are the Different Specializations in a Master's of Surgery Program?
As a Master of Surgery student, you will learn about different diseases of the human body, and many of these can be treated only through required medical surgery. Here are the different specializations that may be available in medical schools that offer a Master of Surgery degree program:
- Open Surgery - It is a basic element in surgery in which an incision is made to give surgeons a complete view of the organ/s affected by their operation.
- Laparoscopy is a specialization in which surgery is performed in the pelvis or abdomen to make way for surgery cameras so that organs can be checked and their abnormalities examined.
- Endoscopy involves inserting a small tube with a light and a camera inside the body to give you a view of the patient's internal parts.
- Arthroscopy - It is a surgical procedure that uses a medical device called an arthroscope. It allows a surgeon to get a view of the interior of a bone or joint.
- Neurosurgery is a master of surgery specialization that focuses on treating the human brain, spinal cord, and nervous system diseases.
- Ophthalmic Surgery is a master of surgery specialization focused on diagnosing and treating eye diseases and disorders. It uses advanced medical technology like laser surgery to correct the problem, minimize pain, and promote faster recovery.
There are a plethora of specializations that you can choose from in a master of surgery program. Aside from the specializations defined above, there are more areas you can explore depending on your interest, including:
- Cardiovascular Surgery
- Urological Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery
- Robotic Surgery
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Orthopaedics Surgery
- Gynecological Surgery
- Endocrine Surgery
- Colon and Rectal Surgery, etc.
When you enroll in a Master of Surgery degree program, your surgical skills will improve, and you'll learn project planning and time management abilities. You will need these to become more effective in treating patients, leading teams, controlling stress, and beating deadlines. A master's degree in surgery can certainly make things happen in your personal and professional life.
What is an Online Master of Surgery Degree?
An online master of surgery degree is an academic degree that you will earn by means other than attending traditional face-to-face on-campus classes. As its name suggests, an online master of surgery degree is one that you can earn using a computer connected to the internet. Students attend their classes by attending virtual classrooms created for them by their school.
An online master of surgery program is designed for doctors who cannot attend on-campus classes due to time, distance, or work constraints. With the power of advanced technology, people from anywhere in the world can enroll in any online degree program as long as they comply with the school's admission requirements.
What are the advantages of studying Master of Surgery Online?
As a master of surgery program student, you will encounter classes that involve manual procedures to treat a disease or disorder. Thus, it might not be possible for you to get a 100% online master of surgery program.
But since several classes can be done online, you will still be able to take advantage of the benefits an online master of surgery program can offer:
It allows you to attend classes and learn at home.
Because they need to attend their classes on campus, many traditional students need to commute or move to a place near the school. This scenario isn't feasible for working doctors due to time constraints.
By choosing to study online, a lot of things can happen in your favor. Commuting or relocating is no longer necessary because you can do your coursework at home.
An online master of surgery program helps to reduce costs.
With the continuing increase in education costs, you might hesitate to enroll in a traditional on-campus Master of Surgery degree program. With the availability of classes, earning a master's degree in surgery can be cheaper and more attainable - time and budget-wise. Aside from eliminating travel and relocation costs, the online learning method of any master's degree program is certainly cheaper than the traditional method.
Online classes are more flexible.
Online learning can offer something that is not available in traditional classes. They are flexible, allowing you to work on your lessons anywhere and anytime you want. This is beneficial to working professionals because it gives them the freedom to continue working while pursuing their degrees.
Online classes offer individualized learning.
Online students have full control of their learning experience! You won't be obliged to attend class schedules, and all your coursework materials are available online, making it easier for you to review your lessons as often as you want.
There are a handful of US schools that offer a master of surgery degree program, and fewer offer online or hybrid classes.