Find your perfect graduate degree
In this article, we will be covering...
In order to meet the demands of their pupils, instructors frequently apply advanced knowledge in elementary, middle, and high school settings. Even if you already have a bachelor's degree, a master's degree can further your learning and aid in your employment in more specialized fields. You can get advanced skills that will qualify you for a teaching career at this level by earning your secondary education online master's degree.
Students who get a master's degree in secondary teaching will be better equipped for life following high school by having the necessary information and skills. Graduates from this master's program are prepared for a variety of managerial and teaching positions as well as for teaching licenses. Get ready to transition to secondary education or get promoted to a higher position from your current job as a teacher.
- The Best Online Master’s in Education Grad Programs
- The Most Affordable Master’s in Education (M. Ed. or Ed. M.) Grad School Degrees
- The Most Affordable ONLINE Master’s in Education (M.Ed., Ed.M.) Grad School Programs
Students usually complete a master's in secondary education in one to two years, and it requires 30 to 45 credits. This master's program would typically include courses such as education technology, educational research, curriculum development, and pedagogy. Secondary education is a common concentration within the field of education, but certain institutions allow students to narrow their focus.
Students can choose careers based on their concentrations in school. Some secondary concentrations include special education, foreign language education, and foreign language immersion education.
Having a hard time choosing from a wide variety of Master's in Secondary Education programs and schools? As this process requires thorough research, we're here to help! Peruse our list of the best online master's programs!
Each graduate degree stands out with the following academic features:
- Features an extensive Secondary Education curriculum that produces outstanding graduates,
- Prepares students for the doctorate program or career advancement opportunities in the field of Secondary Education,
- Taught by Secondary Education terminal degree holders and certified educators who use the modern teaching approach,
- Exposes students to a large network of graduates and professionals and connects them with influential figures in the field,
- May provide extensive academic advising, job placement assistance, and other forms of student support,
- Offers federal aid opportunities and a range of financial aid programs, such as student loans, scholarships, and grants,
- Regionally and institutionally accredited.
Read our Methodology page.
10 Best Master's of Secondary Education
University of Massachusetts Global
The University of Massachusetts Global offers an online Master of Secondary Education. The Master of Secondary Education program combines a master's degree with a Single Subject Credential to help you achieve your dreams of becoming a teacher.
- In this master's degree online, you can consider and assess how decisions and actions affect other people while applying subject-specific teaching abilities in real-world situations.
- You'll learn to examine how the curriculum and curricular choices meet the various needs of the students.
- You'll be able to learn theories and research to improve teaching and student learning.
- Your teaching techniques will be modified according to the needs of your students.
- Assessment data should be used to guide instruction.
Standout Features of the University of Massachusetts Global's Online Master of Secondary Education Program:
This MA in Teaching in Secondary Education also includes a Single Subject Credential approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. After graduating, you will be qualified to teach a particular subject at a middle or high school in California.
You will gain a better understanding of learning theory, which will help you design better curricula. This program is only available to residents of California. To graduate, you must earn at least 39 credits. This program includes an internship.
Did You Know?
University of Massachusetts Global strives to provide students with a transformative education that is accessible, inclusive, and built on excellence and flexibility. By doing so, students will be able to become more valuable and relevant in a changing world.
New York University
New York, NY
The School of Steinhardt from New York University offers an online Master of Secondary Education. You can have a profound impact on students, classrooms, schools, and communities through this year-long, combined residency/Master of Arts in Teaching program.
- During this course, you will learn how to work with pupils from a variety of backgrounds and with different learning styles.
- Taking classes with this cohort emphasizes culturally sensitive teaching, creating and valuing community, and fulfilling the needs of all students.
- New York University Teacher Residency is based on the principle that every child deserves a top-notch education.
- Their teacher residents come from a variety of academic, private, and professional backgrounds.
- As content areas, English, math, science, social studies, and special education are available.
Standout Features of the New York University's Online Master of Secondary Education Program:
This graduate program offers a great learning experience to future secondary teachers by combining thorough education from an internationally renowned research university with close connections to districts and charter schools around the country. During your practical training, you discover how to support all children, provide an inclusive learning environment, and integrate into a school and community.
No matter whether you are changing careers or a recent graduate, the Master of Arts in Teaching program gives you the tools you need to make a significant difference among learners and their environments.
Did You Know?
Teachers and students have access to New York University's extensive international network for professional development and career advancement. The school has a large number of students who study abroad every semester in places like Paris, Shanghai, Buenos Aires, Sydney, and Accra.
California State University - Fullerton
A public university called California State University, Fullerton, offers secondary education enthusiasts an online master of secondary education. This online degree program prepares classroom teachers (grades 6-12) for leadership roles in public and private schools by upgrading their skills and learning new teaching ideas.
- Students must also complete a capstone project in order to graduate.
- Full-time students can complete this 31-credit program in 21 months by taking two classes per term and two over the summer.
- California State University Fullerton uses Canvas to deliver online course materials and training.
- Advising pathways include Cross-Disciplinary or Teaching Foundational Mathematics.
Standout Features of the California State University - Fullerton's Online Master of Secondary Education Program:
Students of this master's program online will learn about cutting-edge teaching methodologies and develop their leadership skills. A credential program's coursework focuses on knowledge and skills needed by new teachers. At the same time, students can also gain skills in sustainable teaching, leadership, curriculum design, instructional and assessment strategies, and technology integration.
Did You Know?
Cal State Fullerton is one of the top campuses at California State University, which is also a hub of intellectual, cultural, and economic activity in the region. Through exceptional co-curricular and educational opportunities, such as faculty-student joint research, they are becoming a national model for fostering student success.
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Texas A&M University's College of Commerce offers a non-thesis master's degree in secondary education. The university focuses on education and has graduated many notable and successful teachers and school administrators.
- In this online degree, you'll learn about instructional design, pedagogy, curricular materials, and evidence-based assessments in programs that emphasize learning quality.
- The program provides cutting-edge techniques for managing an increasingly digital world.
- Full-time students graduate between one and a half and two years after enrolling.
- There are three pathways: Dual Credit Educator, New to Educating, and Educator with a Certificate.
- You can better improve learning environments in middle and high schools with a master's degree in secondary education.
- You can earn your teaching certificate while earning your post-baccalaureate certification. Upon graduation, you'll have the skills to enhance student involvement, classroom management, and teaching effectiveness.
Standout Features of the Texas A&M University's Online Master of Secondary Education Program:
With this master's degree online, you can become an effective teacher and become a role model among other future teachers in secondary education. Along with educating pupils, you'll change lives.
Texas A&M offers all of its online courses through the Brightspace learning management system. The flexibility of online learning now allows professionals to work around the schedule of their students. The degree is for licensed teachers seeking to deepen their knowledge of curriculum development and instruction.
Did You Know?
The majority of Texas instructors are produced at A&M-Commerce. In fact, 93% of A&M-Commerce graduates pass the state's teacher certification test on their first attempt. One of the most well-known colleges within the university is the College of Education and Human Services. Many successful teachers and school administrators have graduated from this public and private university in Texas with a focus on education.
University of Nebraska at Omaha
The University of Nebraska at Omaha is a public research university that offers an Online Master of Secondary Education. Christian education was offered free of ecclesiastical authority at the university, and it was a formidable competitor to several prosperous religious institutions in the city.
- This master's degree in Secondary Education requires 36 total credits.
- The program can be completed in two years if students study full-time.
- Canvas is the platform used by students who take completely online remote courses.
- Courses like Current Issues and Trends in Education, Culturally Responsive Teaching, and Assessment for Classroom Teachers comprise this graduate program.
- Education concentrations include bilingual education, English as a Second Language, STEM, Equity and Social Justice in Education, Science, Instructional Technology Leadership, School Library, Mathematics, and Teacher Academy Project.
Standout Features of the University of Nebraska at Omaha's Online Master of Secondary Education Program:
This secondary education program offered by the University of Nebraska at Omaha provides students with the skills and teaching techniques necessary to partake in secondary education. This degree program is designed for secondary school teachers across a variety of subject areas.
For students not planning on enrolling in a master's or graduate certificate program, unclassified status is an option. If you are seeking additional teaching endorsements and possess a master's degree in education, you may be able to apply for unclassified status.
Did You Know?
A variety of local, national, and international organizations collaborate on interdisciplinary programs to improve the lives of Nebraskans and people around the world. It offers eight programs ranked among the top 25 in the country, making it the highest-ranked college in the state.
Brenau University is a private university headquartered in Gainesville, Georgia, and it offers an online Master of Secondary Education.
- This program will prepare you for Georgia Professional Standards Commission certification.
- A total of 48 credits is required for this master's degree in secondary education.
- Expect to have a curriculum that emphasizes classroom techniques.
- Brenau's online secondary education degree allows you to earn a career as a middle school or high school teacher while gaining the skills you need.
- After passing the GACE certification exam, you will be qualified and able to work as a middle school or high school teacher.
- The master's degree in secondary education includes clinical experience.
Standout Features of Brenau University's Online Master of Secondary Education Program:
Full-time students can complete the curriculum in two years. All of Brenau University's core online courses are taught entirely online through the Canvas learning management system. The majority of this program's curriculum focuses on improving students' classroom skills. Students must also enroll in courses like Introduction to Special Education, Computer Literacy in Education, and Contemporary Issues in Education in addition to a full-time classroom experience for one semester.
Did You Know?
The institution comes with support services for graduate students. They can be assisted in terms of transfer credits, tuition and fee schedules, financial aid, academic requirements, credit transferability, and job assistance.
University of North Dakota
Grand Forks, ND
The largest campus in the state, the University of North Dakota is offering an online Master of Secondary Education. As a teacher or any current position you have, you may advance your teaching, leadership, research, and earning potential through this online master's degree in secondary education.
With the fully online MA in Teaching & Leadership degree from UND, you'll be equipped to handle the demands of contemporary K–12 schools and guarantee academic achievement.
- Their K–12 schools require transformative educators who share their commitment to excellence and equity and who have firsthand experience in teaching, leading, and providing instructional support.
- The online Teaching & Leadership master's degree program at the University of North Dakota will equip you to work in contexts with high needs and rapid change in schools and to have a long-lasting, beneficial effect on the success and well-being of students.
- You'll have the ability to implement visionary ideas through effective organizational management successfully.
- This master's degree can be taken fully online.
Standout Features of the University of North Dakota's Online Master of Secondary Education Program:
For full-time students, the projected completion time for this program is five semesters. The UND learning management system, Blackboard, is used to provide all online courses. This enables students to learn entirely online and on their own terms. Students benefit from this program's improved comprehension of basic math, social studies, and scientific concepts, as well as its teaching of grading, coaching techniques, and student evaluation and assessments.
Did You Know?
The University of North Dakota continues to build on its record of developing leaders. They've earned national recognition for their academic programs. Their online program has the largest number of students of any nonprofit flagship university in the eight-state area. The University of North Dakota prepares students to make an impact like no other accredited university.
Kennesaw State University
Kennesaw State University comes with a Master of Education in Secondary and Middle Grades Education. Students in middle school or secondary school, sciences, Mathematics, English/ or language arts, or history are eligible to take this course online.
- As a result of this program, leaders in instruction will be grounded in the latest research and be adept at recognizing each student's individual needs and strengths.
- Graduates can be responsive change agents skilled in preserving alliances with communities and families.
- This master's degree is best fit for current teachers in diverse subjects and fields who want to enter into secondary education.
Standout Features of Kennesaw State University's Online Master of Secondary Education Program:
This degree takes at least 36 credit hours, which can often be finished in four to six semesters or roughly two years when enrolled full-time. Through the use of and production of educational research, among other abilities, this degree is intended to create leaders in instruction who are grounded in the latest research and who can forge strong bonds with their local communities.
Did You Know?
The university's emphasis is on development, change, and tenacity. As one of the biggest research-driven universities in Georgia, they prioritize their students in order to provide them with the tools they need to find and pursue their future paths.
The College of Saint Scholastica
If you want to make a difference in the education sector, it's time to enroll in the College of Saint Scholastica's online Master of Secondary Education.
- The total number of credits for the program is 34 for secondary education and 39 for elementary education, plus six more for a master's degree in teaching.
- You will have a profound impact on the lives of your students as a teacher after graduation.
- The online learning system is made available any day of the week.
- Students can prepare for the rewarding journey of becoming teachers with this fully online curriculum.
- In this master's degree, you can participate in student teaching, seminars, and clinical experiences to gain practical experience with students.
Standout Features of The College of Saint Scholastica's Online Master of Secondary Education Program:
To graduate, students must complete 34 credit hours, which can be completed in around two years on a full-time basis. As a master's degree student, you can concentrate on specialty subjects like Life Sciences, Chemistry, Communication Arts and Literature, Social Studies, or Math. As part of this program, students gain practical experience in research and teaching methods.
Did You Know?
College of St. Scholastica strives to provide outstanding educational opportunities to all of its students. A competitive tuition becomes a meaningful investment as St. Scholastica continues to foster a vibrant intellectual environment based on academic quality, rigor, and integrity.
University of Nebraska at Kearney
The University of Nebraska at Kearney offers the online Master of Secondary Education. This online Curriculum and Instruction master's degree is designed for teachers who wish to become better classroom teachers across all grade levels and areas.
You can enhance your professional growth as an educator by studying curriculum and instruction, regardless of whether you wish to expand within your discipline or address particular issues in teaching.
- In this master's degree, you can have the ability to extend within your discipline or handle certain instructional issues that may enhance your professional development as a teacher.
- Your graduate degree will enable you to advance professionally by putting you in the running for roles with more leadership responsibilities.
- Online master's programs in Curriculum and Instruction are available for K-12 teachers in all subject areas and grade levels.
- You can increase your salary range with this master's degree.
Standout Features of the University of Nebraska at Kearney's Online Master of Secondary Education Program:
A total of 36 credit hours is required upon completion of this program. In this program, cutting-edge techniques for teaching and evaluating grades 7-12 are examined. There is no certification associated with this program, but you will be trained to teach in secondary education settings after graduation.
Did You Know?
A public university with residential facilities, the University of Nebraska at Kearney is dedicated to being one of the best undergraduate universities in the country, with top-notch graduate programs, scholarships, and public service. The University of Nebraska at Kearney's four pillars are Learning Matters, Learning Environment Matters, People Matter, and Responsible Stewardship Matters.
4 Common Courses in an Online Master's in Secondary Education
1. Adolescent Learning and Development
Adolescents undergo biological and cognitive changes that affect their high school experiences, and this aspect will be discussed in the adolescent learning and development course. The students in this class should also study effective teaching techniques along with potential behavioral and emotional issues.
2. Interdisciplinary Instruction
This course teaches students how to enhance classroom instruction through interdisciplinary teaching methods. Students are encouraged to use sources from a variety of industries in their work and learn ways to integrate a wide range of academic topics.
3. Educational Psychology
The Educational Psychology course introduces students to the top behavioral theories of student learning. The course examines teaching methods and motivational strategies. The training could also go over the emotional, cognitive, and physical growth of adolescents.
4. Teaching Diverse Classrooms
This course covers the most effective methods and cutting-edge theories for teaching diverse student populations. Students explore how students' disparities affect their educational experiences, as well as how teachers can embrace and appreciate diversity. The training may cover topics related to special education.
4 Tips for Pursuing a Secondary Education Teaching Pathway
Becoming a secondary education teacher is made possible when you know what or how to prepare. Here are some tips to get you started:
1. Examine your interests in teaching.
Choosing a program requires you to determine your teaching preferences. It is important to ask yourself why you want to become a teacher. If you answer this question, you can choose your preferred grade level, topic area, and whether you want to work with any unique pupils.
2. Examine potential teaching degrees.
It is easier for you to make an informed decision about your educational options once you have determined your professional goals and preferred locations for employment. Choosing the degree to pursue, as well as the emphasis or major to pursue, is part of this process, and this is covered in this course.
3. Determine your learning style.
In order to become a teacher, you have a variety of educational options. Your first step is to decide how the material will be distributed and what pace you will learn at. You will also need to determine your learning and teaching styles.
4. Enroll in a master's degree.
If you have already made your decision and have decided what degree you would like to pursue, find institutions that provide that degree. You can choose from a variety of respectable colleges and excellent programs. It might be challenging to choose the right school with so many options but choose the one that aligns with your goals.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can graduates accomplish with a Secondary Education master's degree?
Graduates with a master's in secondary education can work as special education teachers as well as in regular high schools. They may also pursue teaching opportunities in technical and career-based education. Graduates are also eligible for administrative jobs like instructional coordinator responsibilities. Many universities offer doctoral degrees in secondary education or closely related fields for students who want to further their studies.
Doctorates in Educational Administration or Leadership might open up more leadership prospects, such as becoming a high school principal. If they don't already have one, aspiring teachers may need to obtain a teaching license.
How much does a Secondary Education master's degree online run?
A secondary education master's degree normally costs between $9,000 and $22,000. The overall cost varies depending on the program, enrollment status, and credit requirements. There are various options for master's students to reduce the price of their degree.
Candidates ought to look for economical programs. Attending a cheap program in another state is made simpler by the use of an online learning approach. Prospective students should look into available financial help, scholarships, and tuition discounts. All these reduce the tuition fees.
Is it worthwhile to pursue a Secondary Education master's degree?
Yes, it's worthwhile. Students interested in professions in education can benefit from obtaining a master's in secondary education. Access to numerous teaching and administrative roles is provided by the degree. Graduates can further their education by enrolling in a doctoral program in one of several related professions. Students may gain additional value from an online master's in secondary education.
Online education can be more accessible for many students with less travel and scheduling constraints. Additionally, it's simpler for learners to remain working, which can lessen the financial burden of their studies.
- A master's degree program in Secondary Education offered online is for those who want to become teachers of kids in grades six through twelve. This program is designed for those who already hold a bachelor's degree in a relevant profession and wish to progress in their careers as certified secondary school teachers or instructors who want to improve their teaching abilities.
- For those who are passionate about instructing teenagers, an online Secondary Education master's degree program offers a thorough and practical route.
- Graduates are prepared to succeed in secondary educational environments and have a good influence on their students via a mix of theoretical knowledge, real-world experience, and the use of contemporary educational technologies.