Find your perfect graduate degree
In this article, we will be covering...
An online Master's in Music Education equips students with skills and knowledge that address challenges in employing cutting-edge technology in music classrooms and multi-dimensional assessment in music education. It is a good stepping stone for music teachers looking to enhance their teaching practice by adapting actionable techniques.
This master's program expects students to be able to analyze issues in the field of music education using multiple perspectives. They are also expected to evaluate teaching practices in music education.
- Best Grad Schools with Online Master’s in Higher Education
- Best Grad Schools with Online Master’s in K-12 Education
- Best Online Master’s of Music Graduate Schools
Many universities and colleges in the country offer an online Master's in Music Education, providing advanced instruction in contemporary teaching pedagogies and practices. If you are keen to explore innovative educational best practices and teaching strategies in music education, then this master's degree is an ideal choice.
Music Education is a specialized component of basic education that synthesizes musicianship and teaching skills. Like any other field of education, the practice of music education continues to evolve, and practitioners in the field do well to choose the advanced education they can get.
We have a good starting point for you! We've put together a list of graduate schools that offer the best master's degree programs in music education. We selected each option with these characteristics in mind:
- Offered primarily online, enabling active educators to continue their practice while pursuing an advanced or graduate degree,
- Features curricula that cover both the theoretical and practical aspects of Music Education,
- Helps students independently craft teaching strategies appropriate to their educational settings,
- Taught by faculty with extensive expertise in Music Education,
- Features affordable tuition rates and offers federal aid and financial assistance programs,
- Holds the relevant accreditation credentials that prove the program's adherence to academic standards,
- Gained positive reviews from students, alums, and associations promoting Music Education as an important discipline.
Visit our Methodology page.
10 Best Online Master's in Music Education Programs
Established in 1804, Ohio University is considered the oldest public university in the state. Serving more than 28,000 students, this university offers over 250 academic programs across a wide range of disciplines, including accounting and world religions.
On top of its traditional programs offered on campus, Ohio University also extends the opportunity to access higher education through its comprehensive online programs.
- Ohio University offers the online Master of Music Education program, preparing potential students for teaching music as well as jobs that involve music administration and supervision.
- The master's degree equips students with foundational knowledge and skills integral to permanent certification and doctoral study for those who want to pursue college teaching.
- The program's comprehensive curriculum covers both music education and other areas that encompass music history, music theory, jazz studies, and applied music.
- Students of this master's program are expected to interpret and evaluate research in music education and apply effective strategies for student learning.
This fully online master's program is designed for practicing teachers. Applicants must meet the GPA requirement of 3.0. They will also need to submit an academic writing sample and a letter of recommendation.
Did You Know?
Ohio University is the first university in the state of Ohio to freeze the tuition fee. It offers a $0 tuition fee increase in more than four years. The university also makes sure that students can afford their college education by offering various financial aid options. In fact, 95% of first-year students received financial aid in the school year 2019-2020.
University of Georgia
As Georgia's largest research university, the University of Georgia is home to state-of-the-art research, cultural, and sports facilities. Currently, this higher learning institution offers more than 170 fields and study and majors across 17 colleges and schools, providing students with a wide range of options for their academic goals. It is also classified by the Carnegie Foundation as a "Research University/Very High Activity."
- Students who want to advance their careers in teaching, academic research, and administration may want to consider earning a Master of Music Education at the University of Georgia.
- This master's degree, 100% available online, is designed for those who want to develop their teaching and research expertise.
- The program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
- To earn this master's program, students must complete a total of 33 credit hours, with courses including Pedagogical Efficacy, Applied Project in Music Education, and Research and Design in Music Education, among others.
This master's degree allows students to customize their education by offering a choice of emphasis. Their options include general, choral, or instrumental music. All three choices provide them with practical skills that will help them expand their expertise in music education.
Did You Know?
The University of Georgia holds the distinction of being recognized as a Corporation for National and Community Service by the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll. This recognition is considered the higher federal honor a higher learning institution can receive to demonstrate its commitment to volunteering, service-learning, and civic engagement.
Eastern Washington University
Nestled in golden, rolling hills and basalt outcroppings, Eastern Washington University offers an ideal learning environment to students. Since its foundation in 1882, the university remains committed to providing a wealth of opportunities for personal transformation in the form of academic excellence. It is currently serving more than 10,000 students.
- Eastern Washington University's Master of Music in Music Education prepares students to teach and take on advanced leadership positions in the field of music education by expanding their knowledge of music best practices, research, and cutting-edge approaches.
- The program offers rigorous online coursework taught by the same expert faculty who teach the on-campus programs.
- Students in this program are expected to apply different approaches to teaching music in an educational setting.
The master's degree is composed of 12 online courses, eventually culminating with an independent project in lieu of a general oral examination or thesis defense. Students will be guided by their professor throughout the process. They are expected to go through a variety of topics, allowing them to explore areas of interest and prepare them for the General Music endorsement test.
Did You Know?
The university was recognized as one of the safest public university campuses in Washington, even ranking as one of the safest campuses in the country. The campus has its campus police team, who are friendly and approachable.
Boston University has welcomed more than 36,000 students from more than 130 countries. It employs over 10,000 faculty staff across 17 schools and colleges, offering more than 300 programs of study. The university makes it a point to ignite students' imagination and thirst for learning by hiring a faculty of scholars and accomplished practitioners.
- Boston University offers the Master of Music in Music Education online, taught by the same on-campus faculty who are leaders in early childhood education, community music facilitation, music technology, and lifespan engagement.
- Students are expected to examine a variety of research that will help them gain an informed music education, including the thorough discussion and analysis of sociological, philosophical, and psychological ideas and problems in the music education field.
The online master's program has accreditation from the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM). Students who want to specialize will be able to do so by choosing among available electives. This will help them customize their educational path that will better align with their goals and career needs.
A three-course focus on Music Technology is being offered, allowing students to be Level 1 certification qualified through the Technology Institute for Music Educators.
Did You Know?
At Boston University, many celebrated thinkers have found their home. Some of its notable alums include poet laureates, Presidential Award winners, and Fulbright Scholars. It is also considered a leading global research institution. In 2023, it received $674 million in grants and contract awards.
It has been invited to join the Association of American Universities, making it a part of an elite organization of research universities in Canada and the United States.
University of Florida
Since 1853, the University of Florida has been driving innovation through its comprehensive academic programs designed to equip students with skills and knowledge integral to reaching their career goals. It is home to more than 55,000 students enrolled across dozens of academic programs. Many of these programs are offered online.
- The online Master of Music in Music Education offered at the University of Florida is designed to help music educators develop their abilities as musicians and teachers.
- The program curriculum allows students to explore both practical and theoretical programs, combining advanced musical study with a thorough examination of contemporary teaching methods.
- The online master's degree enables students to acquire an engaging learning environment with access to the faculty and the latest digital tools.
Students in this online program may take advantage of the university's graduate research award, helping eligible students pursue opportunities ranging from speaking at conferences to conducting fieldwork. They will receive financial support for travel and other related expenses.
Did You Know?
The University of Florida keeps its student-to-faculty ratio low at 17:1. This gives students more opportunities to receive academic guidance and support from their professors. The university has a Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges approval.
Ball State University
Founded in 1918, Ball State University started as the Indiana State Normal School Eastern Division. In 1965, it became Ball State University and was acknowledged for its phenomenal growth. It is currently housing seven academic colleges, serving more than 20,000 students.
- Ball State University's Master of Music i- Music Education supports the growth of K-12 music educators and provides a solid foundation for those who want to pursue doctoral study.
- It is a fully online program that requires the completion of 30 credits, with the curriculum including a balance of courses encompassing music theory, music history, and music performance.
- Students in this program can learn from award-winning faculty. The program also received accreditation from the National Association of Schools of Music.
The program requires students to complete a capstone experience designed to help them meet their professional and educational goals. Students have the option to choose between a thesis, creative project, research paper, or cognate. The latter requires six hours of concentrated study in a focus area.
Did You Know?
In 2022, Ball State University received the Doctoral University designation from Carnegie. It also received the Ryan, Moser, Reilly Award for Excellence in Community Engagement Institutional Leadership award in the same year.
University of Central Oklahoma
Dedicated to helping students succeed through transformative learning experiences, the University of Central Oklahoma has remained committed to providing quality academic programs since 1890. It is home to nearly 14,000 students across 118 undergraduate areas of study and 83 graduate programs.
- The University of Central Oklahoma offers the Master of Music in Music Education degree program for those who want to prepare for increased classroom effectiveness by studying educational, methodological, and philosophical concepts relevant to a wide range of musical contexts.
- The program is taught by experienced professors with a teaching-first focus and commitment to quality, incorporating advanced music study with a thorough exploration of teaching practices that are both effective and innovative.
- Students will need to complete a total of 32 credits in order to earn the master's degree program.
The program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, which means it has met the rigorous standards for Music Education. Students who successfully earn the program will have the opportunity to become a part of a connected community of the University of Central Oklahoma music alumni.
Did You Know?
The University of Oklahoma has accreditations from different accrediting bodies to demonstrate the quality of the education it offers, including the Higher Learning Commission. It is also an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music and the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
New York, NY
Columbia University is a private research university located in New York City. Columbia needs little introduction, being an Ivy League university, as well as one of the nine Colonial Colleges established before the American Revolution. Columbia University is currently organized into 20 schools and has over 34,700 students.
- Columbia University offers a hybrid Master of Arts in Music and Music Education (MA M&ME) program through its Teachers College. The program is ideal for preparing students to teach music for the 21st-century cultural landscape.
- The program is cohort-based. Students' time in the program is divided into online coursework coupled with Summers spent in the New York City campus.
- The program features an engaging curriculum that includes fieldwork, ensemble experiences, and classroom-based training on top of the online coursework.
- The two included summer residencies are around four weeks long each.
Students in the program get top-tier Ivy League education; in fact, it is one of only a handful of universities in the country that offer similar Music and music Education postgraduate degrees. The program is designed to be forward-thinking, emphasizing the current 21st-century cultural landscape, and being a hybrid program, is full of a wide range of learning experiences outside the classroom.
Did You Know?
Columbia University is also the only university in the Ivy League to offer a postgraduate degree in Music and Music Education.
George Mason University
George Mason University (GMU) is a public research university in the city of Fairfax, Virginia. It started life in 1949 as a regional branch of the University of Virginia, and after becoming independent in 1972, has continued to expand and eventually become the biggest public university in the state. George Mason University currently has over 39,000 students.
- George Mason University’s online Master of Music in Music Education prepares students to excel in the areas of music education and scholarship.
- The program is 30 credit hours in total and is 100 % online, although the program also has the option for a special hybrid format.
- The fully online format comes with the Thesis and Non-Thesis option.
George Mason University's Master of Music in Music Education program's various degree options for both its online and hybrid formats add to the program's flexibility. Of special note is the program's hybrid option, which is offered with the choice of focus between the Kodaly and Orff approaches.
Did You Know?
George Mason University also offers a number of other online education programs, including a range of Master of Education programs that specialize in such fields as Education Leadership, Special Education, Gifted Education, and more.
Temple University is a public, state-related research university in Philadelphia. Founded in 1884, it has its roots in the Baptist Church, although, since 1965, it receives funding from the state. Temple University is currently organized into over 15 schools and colleges and has over 37,300 students.
- Temple University offers a Master of Music in Music Education. The comprehensive program is designed to deepen students' understanding of theoretical, practical, and research-related aspects of teaching music.
- The program is offered both online and in-person and adds up to a total of 30 credit hours.
- The program's coursework is designed to prepare students to seek permanent teaching certification, to add depth to their current teaching careers, or to pursue doctoral programs in music education.
The program is also offered with a Masters Plus Certification. This option is ideal for bachelor's degree holders who are looking to earn teaching licensure for Pennsylvania alongside their Master's degree.
Did You Know?
Temple University offers other graduate degrees related to music. This includes a generalist-oriented Master of Science in Music, an equivalent Master of Arts in Music, and Master of Music degrees in Music History and Music Theory.
University of Missouri – Columbia
The University of Missouri–Columbia is a public, land-grant research university in the city of Columbia. Founded in 1839, it offers over 300 degree programs across its 13 academic divisions. It is also the flagship campus of the University of Missouri System and the state's largest university with over 31,400 students.
- The University of Missouri – Columbia's Master of Music—Music Education program is designed for educators teaching general music, choral, or instrumental music who are seeking to deepen their skills in the field.
- The program is 100% online and contains a total of 32 credit hours.
- The program is ideal for music educators from various settings, whether in school settings, private instruction, or music directorial settings.
- The program's coursework covers the major areas in music education, music history, and theory and also includes teaching practicums and a research-to-practice capstone.
The program's comprehensive coursework explores the latest in research in the field and relevant pedagogical approaches. The program also holds accreditation from the National Association of Schools of Music.
Did You Know?
The University of Missouri holds a number of significant firsts accrued throughout its history. Aside from being the first public university in the country west of the Mississippi River, the university also launched the first journalism school in the world.
Kent State University
Kent State University is a public research university in the city of Kent, Ohio. Established in 1910 as a normal school, Kent State has since expanded its academic offerings and now also has seven regional campuses as well as a number of international locations. It is currently composed of 12 academic colleges and has over 25,600 students.
- Kent State University offers an online Master of Music in Music Education, designed with currently active music educators in mind who want to make the best learning environment possible while elevating their music education skillset.
- The program contains a total of 31 credit hours and typically spans 23 months. Coursework is delivered 100% online.
- The program is designed primarily for those who already have ample background in music education and is not intended for those seeking licensure.
With a 100% online option, the program features immediate applicability for active music educators, in turn enhancing their students' learning experience as they take on their coursework. The program also features a wide range of electives that let students tailor their degree.
Did You Know?
During the 1960s & 1970s, Kent State University was one of the centers for student protests against the country's military involvement in Vietnam at the time. Kent State is known for the unfortunate incident on May 4, 1970, where National Guardsmen killed four students and wounded nine more during an anti-war protest on campus that turned violent.
Western Illinois University
Western Illinois University (WIU) is a public university in the city of Macomb, Illinois. It dates back to 1899 and was originally a normal school dedicated to teacher training. It is currently organized into four academic colleges and two additional colleges dedicated to nontraditional programs. Western Illinois University has a population of over 7,600 students.
- Western Illinois University offers an Online Master of Music in Music Education. The program is designed to expose students to the latest in relevant research and teaching methodology that lets them elevate their practice.
- The program is designed for active/current teachers from K-12 settings.
- The program is cohort-based and typically spans two years, including two 8-week-long summer sessions. The majority of the coursework, however, is still self-paced.
Being designed with active teachers in mind, the program emphasizes the immediate applicability of students' learnings from their coursework. It is also accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM), ensuring worldwide recognition of its quality.
Did You Know?
While this is the only online music-related program offered by WIU, they do, however, offer other online graduate programs in education, including the MS in Instructional Design and Technology, the MS Ed in Special Education, the MS in Teaching Mathematics, and more.
Lamar University is a public university in the city of Beaumont, Texas. It was established in 1923 as a junior college and is currently a member of the Texas State University System. It is currently organized into seven colleges and schools, which altogether host a population of over 17,000 students.
- Lamar University offers an online Master of Music in Music Education. The program prepares students to conduct effective and impactful music teaching across a wide variety of settings.
- The program contains a total of 30 credit hours and can be completed within 12 months.
- The program's curriculum includes a comprehensive coverage of the history, philosophy, and psychological bases that underlie music education. Students are also taught the creation and application of diverse, method-based teaching strategies.
The program's orientation toward a wide range of classroom and non-classroom-based roles makes it a potentially better fit for a wide range of educators and professionals. Lamar University also has highly affordable tuition rates in the country and follows a pay-by-the-course model. The program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
Did You Know?
Lamar University offers a wide range of Online Master's degrees in Education in a wide range of specializations that include Special Education, Counseling, Applied Digital Learning, Literacy, and more.
Saint Charles, MO
Lindenwood University is a private university in the city of St. Charles, Missouri. It was originally established in 1832 as a school for girls, only becoming co-educational in 1969. It is currently organized into four colleges, which offer undergraduate, graduate, and doctorate degrees to a population of almost 7,000 students.
- Lindenwood University's 100% online Master's in Music Education program is designed to improve students' music and leadership skills and instructional skills.
- The program is designed primarily for K-12 music educators, as well as other music instructors.
- The program has a total of 30 credit hours and typically spans 12-24 months.
- Students have a choice of either an applied project or a thesis in order to complete the program.
On top of the comprehensive curriculum designed with a career-focused emphasis, Lindenwood University is known for offering very affordable tuition rates, especially for its online students.
Did You Know?
Lindenwood University offers a wide range of online Master's Degrees in Education. This includes specialization in areas such as instructional design, gifted education, school administration, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to complete a music education master's program?
While the program requirements differ from university to university, which generally affects the program duration, a master's in music education can typically be completed within two years or less. There are also accelerated program options, which allow students to earn the master's degree in as few as 14 months.
What are the common admission requirements for master's in music education programs?
Some of the common admission requirements include a bachelor's degree from a related field. There are cases where applicants may need to meet the minimum GPA requirement, which often varies between schools. Other requirements include an official transcript, letters of recommendation, and personal statement, among others.
- Master's in Music Education online programs are concerned with elevating key skills in teaching music in a variety of primarily formal/classroom-based settings. As such, they are framed more as education programs rather than music degrees.
- Most online Master's in Music Education programs are aimed at preK-12 settings and are primarily designed for currently active, licensed educators.
- Master's in Music Education programs online cover the various theoretical bases of music teaching, as well as appropriate methodologies that guide students to evaluate and develop their teaching strategies.