Find your perfect college degree
In this article, we will be covering...
An online Master’s in Math Education trains math professionals with exceptional knowledge, passion, and skills to inspire the next generation of mathematicians. This program will develop the driving force behind society’s mathematical foundation and literacy.
This graduate degree program is a specialized program that’s designed for individuals who are seeking to enhance their knowledge and skills in teaching mathematics. It also provides educators with the valuable tools needed to cultivate a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts, ignite a genuine love for problem-solving and numbers, and develop critical thinking skills.
A Master’s in Math Education teaches students about the instructional and pedagogical strategies necessary to convey complex mathematical ideas in the most engaging and comprehensible way possible.
Students will learn about curriculum development and gain the necessary skills to qualify for leadership roles within a math education setting. Moreover, this graduate degree program will help educators transform their students into problem-solvers and increase their earning potential.
An online Master’s in Math Education is designed to link the gaps in mathematics performance and learning among elementary, secondary, and tertiary students. This program will train educators to become proficient in curriculum development, assessment, and instruction in various subject areas, including algebra, calculus, geometry, and statistics.
Are you planning on enrolling in a Math Education master’s program online? Let us help you make an informed decision! Check out the Best Online Master’s in Math Education graduate schools on our list!
Each master’s program is best known for these notable features:
- Delivered as an online or hybrid Math Education master’s degree program,
- Focuses on the most up-to-date and advanced Math Education courses that cover topics including calculus, algebra, statistics and data analysis, geometry,
- Features coursework that covers the principles and theories and modern equipment to deliver excellent coursework,
- Facilitated by credentialed professors with years of experience in Math Education and remarkable contributions to research,
- Offers affordable tuition and a variety of financial aid options for eligible students to ensure minimal tuition costs,
- Obtained proper accreditation from private and government agencies, demonstrating the school’s compliance with academic standards, particularly in the field of Math Education.
Visit our Methodology section for details.
5 Best Master’s in Math Education Graduate Schools
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
At Indiana University of Pennsylvania, students are empowered to achieve their academic goals, enjoy personalized attention and resources, and experience a close community at affordable costs. IUP is committed to guiding all students to grow academically through its challenging classes, experiential learning opportunities, and internships for all of its more than 100 majors.
- Earning an M.Ed. in Mathematics Education qualified students to serve as coordinators, resource teachers, and other leadership positions within secondary education settings.
- M.Ed. in Mathematics Education, students will have opportunities to explore real everyday teaching challenges, work with diverse learners, incorporate current technologies in the classroom, and identify best practices while complying with teaching standards.
- Upon completion, graduates will be qualified for leadership roles within their school district or pursue doctoral studies.
- Through this program, students will gain invaluable insights into practical methods of teaching math that are both effective and appealing to high school students.
- Students will also get the chance to use the most current research for effective classroom practices at high school levels.
- The Mathematics Education, M.Ed. program has two specialization options: Elementary Middle School and Secondary Specializations.
IUP’s Master of Education in Mathematics Education requires students to enroll in the program’s Secondary Education specialization to earn a graduate degree. With a Secondary Education specialization, students will be able to meet the credit requirements for Instructional Level II certification.
To apply, students need to create an admissions profile, fill out the application, and submit the requirements.
Did You Know?
IUP has a Center for Multicultural Student Leadership and Engagement and an LGBTQIA Support Office to ensure that every student feels welcomed, comfortable, and safe at all times.
IUP is Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)-accredited. Organizations and publications have nationally recognized it. It is one of the 93 public colleges in America that has been given a Carnegie High Research Activity Classification (R2).
Indiana Wesleyan University
Indiana Wesleyan University is The Wesleyan Church’s Christian comprehensive university founded in 1920 as Marion College. Today, IWU has become the largest member of the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU). It is also one of the largest employers in Grant County and the largest private college in the state.
- Indiana Wesleyan University’s Master of Science in Mathematics in Education will help students develop a deeper understanding of the discipline and advance their math teaching skills with a biblical worldview.
- This Mathematics Education program is tailored for practicing secondary school teachers who want to instruct advanced placement, early college, or dual enrollment courses.
- This graduate degree program helps develop ideas on ethics and faith, culturally responsive teaching, and research and technology tools.
- Through this program, students will learn to interpret various mathematical knowledge effectively, assess mathematical information accurately, and use critical thinking and quantitative skills to analyze problems that can be modeled mathematically.
- They will know how to use biblical worldviews along with their quantitative knowledge to apply data literacy to build or maintain supportive school environments.
- They will be able to show Christ-like, ethical attitudes, and values that encompass professional laws, dispositions, codes of ethics, and policies appropriate to classroom teaching.
- They will also be able to use their ability to research with a profound understanding of quantitative, qualitative, or mixed research methodologies.
IWU is a Christ-centered academic institution dedicated to changing the world by producing graduates with exceptional character, leadership skills, and scholarship. Its MS in Mathematics in Education degree program is taught with a Christian viewpoint, ensuring that students will be able to demonstrate ethical and Christ-like attitudes and values when teaching the subject inside high school classrooms.
Did You Know?
Indiana Wesleyan University has been nationally recognized for its innovative IWU-National & Global adult education programs, which started in 1985. It has more than 8,000 adult learners who attend online classes or at education centers located in Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio for IWU’s more than 100 degree programs.
Nova Southeastern University
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Nova Southeastern University began operating in 1964 as Nova University of Advanced Technology, a graduate research institution rooted in the social and physical sciences. It then merged with Southeastern University of Health Sciences in 1994.
The university then added other programs in business, computing, education, engineering, law, oceanography, and psychology, as well as allied health, dental medicine, medical sciences, pharmacy, and optometry, to form the Nova Southeastern University that we know today.
- Nova Southeastern University’s Master of Science in Mathematics Education is aimed at those who want to transform students into problem-solvers.
- This MS in Mathematics Education program has two options: K-12 Mathematics Education and Postsecondary Mathematics Education.
- The K-12 Mathematics Education program is designed to prepare middle, secondary, and postsecondary mathematics educators.
- The Postsecondary Mathematics Education program features courses that are content-intensive and are aimed at equipping educators to teach students at the postsecondary level.
- The Mathematics Education graduate program offered by NSU will teach students to become proficient in assessment, curriculum development, and instructions in algebra, calculus, geometry, and statistics.
- This program will teach graduate students about insightful strategies for developing their students’ problem-solving skills and mold them to be the next generation of groundbreaking thinkers.
- Admission requirements for the MS in Mathematics Education program include a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited school, a $50 nonrefundable application fee, a minimum GPA score of 2.5, and transcripts of records of all schools previously attended.
Both of the Master of Science in Mathematics Education program options require students to take the Applied Professional Experience in Mathematics Education course, which is the capstone project that must be conducted in a relevant educational setting.
Candidates for graduation must maintain reflective journals and create sample files of their students’ work, as well as the assessment instruments used to demonstrate how they achieved the content and state professional standards.
Did You Know?
Nova Southeastern University has been nationally recognized for its innovative distance education programs. It was also recognized for having the largest library in the state of Florida, the Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center.
Western Governors University
Salt Lake City, Utah
Western Governors University is the most student-centric academic, nonprofit online institution in the world. WGU’s founders are 19 US governors who envisioned a brighter, better future for higher education. WGU has its governance structure, allowing it to be focused on its students’ lives, struggles, and successes.
- Western Governors University’s Master of Arts in Mathematics Education program is for certified teachers with a bachelor’s degree who want to add secondary math to their teaching licenses.
- This master’s degree program in Mathematics Education will equip middle and high school math teachers with advanced knowledge and training that will help students prepare for the demands of college and beyond.
- Students enrolled in this master’s degree program will be taught how to expand their understanding of advanced mathematics, including algebra, calculus, geometry, and trigonometry.
- This master’s program can be completed in 24 months but can be finished faster by allowing students to move more quickly through courses they already know and to advance as soon as they can.
Western Governors University’s Master of Arts in Mathematics Education program is constantly updated with input from the university’s Education Program Council. This council has experts who are knowledgeable in teaching mathematics to grades 5 through 12 students successfully.
The curriculum for this master’s degree program has the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics’ approval.
Did You Know?
Western Governors University is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). It has received the distinction of being the only university to have regional accreditation from four regional accrediting bodies at the same time.
WGU has been a repeat best-value school designee and one of the most innovative schools in the region. It is also recognized by the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA) for ten years for its excellence in distance learning.
Ball State University
This academic institution was founded in 1918 as the Indiana State Normal School Eastern Division. It then became the Ball State University we know now in 1965. Today, it has over 20,000 enrollees in its seven academic colleges.
The Ball State University community is motivated and spirited. Its staff and faculty embrace students as learning partners, ensuring they learn and grow from day one. This university is grounded by its values and knowledge, giving its students the confidence to chase greater opportunities and excel in whatever field they are interested in.
- Ball State University’s Master of Arts in Mathematics Education program is perfect for those who are looking to earn a master’s degree without sacrificing their classroom routine.
- It offers three concentrations:
- Elementary and Middle School Teachers
- Secondary School Teachers
- Elementary and Middle School Specialists.
- The For Secondary School Teachers concentration program is for those who graduated with an undergraduate Mathematics major or equivalent background and hold a current secondary mathematics teaching license.
- The For Elementary and Middle School Teachers concentration program is a 30-credit program for those with an elementary, middle school, or special education teaching license and a minimum of one year of teaching experience.
- The For Elementary or Middle School Mathematics Education Specialists program provides students with the know-how and skills needed to earn the Indiana Elementary Mathematics Specialist license.
- Courses in this master’s degree program are available in an asynchronous online learning format, allowing students to work on weekly assignments at their own pace and in a fixed-time online format.
Ball State University’s Master of Arts in Mathematics Education program covers areas identified by the National Council for Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM).
Did You Know?
Ball State University has consistently ranked among the best online graduate education schools. It has also been recognized for its Master’s in Education programs in the best online programs for veterans.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the career prospects and possible earnings of graduates with a Master’s in Math Education?
The Labor Statistics Bureau discloses that mathematicians and statisticians earn a median annual pay of $99,960. Aside from these career paths, graduates with a Master’s in Math Education can go on to qualify for the following positions:
- Economists make $113,940 annually. They conduct research, assess issues related to fiscal and monetary policies, and prepare reports.
- Survey Researchers earn $60,410 per year. They conduct and design surveys and then analyze collected data.
- Research Mathematicians earn $118,701 yearly. They conduct research to improve teaching methods and policies. They also study how different socioeconomic issues impact education standards and student success.
- Mathematics Professors, who are paid $110,279 on average annually, are dedicated to teaching and helping students master mathematics.
What courses are usually included in a Master’s in Math Education curriculum?
These are some of the core courses required for Master’s in Math Education students:
- Proportional and Algebraic Reasoning
- Diagnosing Student Mathematical Thinking
- Problem-Solving Strategies
- Functions and Algebra
- Probability: The Mathematics
- Concepts of Calculus
- The Known Equation
- Conceptual, Cultural, and Societal Diversity in Mathematics
- Contemporary Equity Issues in Mathematics Education
- Technology and Mathematics Education
Why pursue a Master’s in Math Education?
An online Master’s in Math Education is for those who are passionate about teaching mathematics to elementary, middle school, and college students. This graduate degree program also qualifies graduates to pursue leadership roles at secondary and tertiary levels.
Pursuing leadership positions will bring greater income potential. On top of that, it allows graduates to remain in the field of education but not teach in classrooms.
Receiving a Master’s in Math Education can also increase an individual’s marketability. This means that they will least likely run out of career opportunities even during uncertain times.
The US Department of Education has reported that there is a shortage of teachers in various states for content areas including Mathematics, Science, Foreign Language, and Special Education.
- Pursuing an online Master’s in Math Education allows students to earn a graduate degree for skills enrichment and career advancement and work at the same time.
- A master’s degree in Math Education equips students with the skills to pursue leadership roles in high school or college Math teaching.
- Current Math teachers or non-Math educators can expand their career options and increase their pay potential with an online Master’s in Math Education.