Find your perfect college degree
In this article, we will be covering...
If you’re planning to pursue a post-graduate degree in business, students have three online programs to choose from: an Online MBA, an Online Master of Arts in Business, or an Online Master of Science in Business.
The primary component of any graduate-level program in business provides students with advanced-level knowledge in different areas of the discipline, such as operations management, human resource management, marketing, finance, and accounting. Although many online Master of Business programs have a more specialized field, some programs offer a diverse range of electives that students can freely integrate into their study plan.
Quick audio summary:
Although the online Master of Business Administration program is considered the most popular graduate-level business studies, there is a variety of online Master of Business programs available for students. An online MA in Business, online M.Sc. in Business, or a more specialized program, such as an online Master of Economics or an online Master of Accountancy programs, are some of the different types of online Masters in Business degrees that can pursue. The majority of these programs take two years or less to complete, depending on the commitment and learning pace of students.
The online Master of Business program is a diverse program, making it more challenging for students to find the right degree aligned with their academic and professional aspirations. As an overview, we list the ten best online Master of Business programs to guide you in the right direction. We also include some of the FAQs related to the different online Master of Business programs, as well as schools with more than one area of business, providing you with more comprehensive and diverse options for your graduate-level business study.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What is an Online Master of Science in Business program?
- What is an Online Master of Arts in Business program?
- What is the difference between an Online Masters of Business program vs. an Online MBA program in terms of specializations and curriculum?
- Which Online Masters of Business program should I pursue – MA or MSc?
- What are the standard admission requirements for an Online Masters of Business program?
- 10 Best Online Masters of Business Graduate Schools
F R E Q U E N T L Y A S K E D Q U E S T I O N S
What is an online Master of Science in Business program?
The online Master of Science in Business programs have a more technical component and often include science and math courses. There are several MS in Business programs that students can pursue, including business management, leadership, business administration, general business, and more specific areas, such as finance. Here are two of the most popular examples of online Master of Science in Business programs:
- Online Master of Science in Marketing
Online Master of Science in Marketing programs help train and prepare students to become creative and strategic problem solvers while building their organizations’ brands and developing effective marketing campaigns. They can strengthen students’ communication and critical-thinking skills while completing marketing analytics, marketing strategies, and consumer behavior.
- Online Master of Science in Business Analytics
Students pursuing an online Master of Science in Business Analytics program learn how to examine different data sets within industries. They immerse themselves in experiential learning programs and accomplish predictive analysis, modeling, programming, and statistics courses.
What is an Online Master of Arts in Business program?
An online Master of Arts in Business program often includes a set of coursework in the study of liberal arts and can be integrated with online business courses, such as public policy, international business, or business communication. Online MA in Business programs offer a wider scope of business fundamentals. Some of the most popular Master of Arts in Business programs include the following:
- Online Master of Arts in International Business
An online Master of Arts in International Business program explores the different challenges and components in global business settings from an international relations perspective. Some schools offer MA in International Business programs that include travel opportunities, allowing students to complete coursework related to the economies and global business strategies of specific cultures, such as Shanghai, Paris, London, Buenos Aires, and other cities with diverse business environments.
- Online Master of Arts in Business Communication
The Master of Arts in Business Communication online program emphasizes the different communication strategies and procedures utilized in business settings. Students explore a diverse range of methods to achieve organizational objectives through communication. Popular courses integrated into the Business Communication program include group communication, business presentation, global scale communication, and business writing.
What is the difference between an online Masters of Business program vs. an online MBA program in terms of specializations and curriculum?
Both online Master of Business and online MBA programs discuss various core business fundamentals. These programs offer students an opportunity to specialize by selecting a variety of elective courses. Despite many specializations, the online MBA programs provide students with a general overview of a business. MBA programs also have a broader range of mandatory courses designed to train students to become well-equipped in many business-related roles and circumstances.
On the contrary, an online Master of Science or a Master of Arts in Business program tends to have a more specific curriculum, with a theoretical framework and program developed to help distance learners become proficient in a specific area of business. These specific programs allow students to pursue more specialized opportunities after graduation.
Which online Masters of Business program should I pursue – MA or MSc?
Once you’re determined to pursue an online Masters of Business program, one of the crucial steps is to choose between a Master of Science in Business or a Master of Arts in Business. However, MS in Business programs are more prevalent compared to the latter.
As mentioned, the online Master of Science in Business programs have a more technical or scientific focus, while the Master of Arts has more emphasis on the humanities. When enrolling, the M.Sc. program requires students with a strong educational background in a business-related discipline, such as Economics, Management, Accounting, or Finance, while the MA equivalent accepts students regardless of their academic background.
Every school has its definition, curriculum, and format of an online MA or MS in Business program. Regardless of the program that students will pursue, they must verify first with their chosen college or university if the program aligns with their background and preferences.
There are several business-related programs at the post-graduate level. Many graduate schools combine business degrees with another field of discipline or another area of business. Some common online Master of Business programs include Master of Accounting, Master of Finance, Master of Science in Business Psychology, Master of Science in Digital Marketing, Master of Science in Business Communications, Master of Science in International Business Management, Master of Science in Business Analytics, Master of Arts in International Business, and Master of Science in Business Administration.
What are the standard admission requirements for an Online Masters of Business program?
The online Master of Business and online MBA programs have numerous similar admission requirements, including academic achievements, GMAT/GRE scores, and proof of English proficiency for international applicants. The most noteworthy variation is that online MBA admission requirements may require two to three years of professional experience or more for Executive MBA programs.
On the contrary, the online M.A./M.S. in Business programs focus more on academic requirements than a reputable baccalaureate degree. Some online programs require specific academic background, such as an undergraduate degree in finance, economics, business management, or business administration, while other programs only require a good academic standing in the undergraduate degree. Some schools also require the accomplishment of foundational or prerequisite courses in business for candidates without a business-related degree.
The online M.A./M.S. in Business programs likely require a more specific educational background than the online MBA programs that accept students with little to no relevant professional experience.
M E T H O D O L O G Y
With a technical or science-based focus, online Master of Business options lead to specialized career pathways. We are all about enabling students to gain as much insight as possible into specialized business-related career pursuits and exposing them to the best instruction and learning experience.
With this in mind, we compiled the Master of Business Graduate Schools. The higher education institutions and Master’s in Business degree programs on our list share these features:
- A rigorous coursework with clearly defined matching outcomes delivered in online or hybrid, condensed format with a focus on business,
- A well-credentialed faculty–the majority of whom are Master of Business degree holders and contributors to their specific field of expertise,
- Easy-to-use Learning Management System providing superior online or hybrid learning platform and easily accessible student resources,
- Excellent acceptance, retention, and graduation rates,
- A strong alumni network and dedicated student services,
- A glowing reputation in the academic community, and among past and current students.
10 Best Online Master’s of Business Graduate Schools
: 2083 Lawrenceville Road, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
: 609 896 5000
Rider University was formerly known as Trenton Business College and was founded in 1865. Today, the university produces some of the nation’s leading business executives. It has transformed into a mid-size, highly comprehensive university with a diverse student community and vibrant graduate and undergraduate programs in leadership, counseling, education, fine and performing arts, music, sciences, and arts.
- Rider University’s online Master of Arts (MA) in Business Communication program is suitable for professionals regardless of academic and professional backgrounds.
- The 33-credit hour MABC program consists of 27-credit hour core required courses and 6-credit hour electives.
- The program offers six start dates that work best for distance learners to accommodate each student’s schedule.
- Students complete their degree in two years or less.
- Admission requirements include a bachelor’s degree, minimum GPA of 2.7, resume/CV, two academic and professional letters, statement of purpose, and official transcripts. An interview may be required from applicants.
Standout Features of Rider University’s Online Master of Arts in Business Communication Program:
Rider University’s online Master of Arts (MA) in Business Communication program builds on students’ core competencies and teaches the different methods of communication in an organizational setting regardless of their academic and professional background. Students can start their online MABC program anytime during the fall, spring, or summer semester with flexible learning options.
Rider University’s Moore Library is home to 51,000+ periodical titles in a mix of electronic and print formats, 661,000 microforms, and over 451,000 print volumes, as well as a diverse range of electronic research tools. The library also supports the curriculum of the music program of Westminster Choir College with holdings of special collections, sound and visual recordings, choral music titles, and other materials.
Ball State University
: 2000 W. University Avenue, Muncie, IN 47306
: 800 382 8540
In 1899, Ball State University began as a small, private teacher training school. After failing to sustain the training school’s efforts, the Ball brothers bought the land and establishments of the non-operational institution, and the rest is history. Today, BSU is a world-class university with highly respected undergraduate and graduate programs in health professions, sciences and humanities, fine arts, communications, business, architecture, and education.
- The online Master of Arts in Business Education at Ball State is an excellent option for marketing and business educators at the mid, high school, post-secondary, and business industry trainers.
- GRE scores aren’t required for enrollment. Students can transfer a maximum of nine credits to help save tuition.
- The 30 to 36-credit hour online asynchronous program offers nine tracks: Adult Education, Business and Industry Trainer, Community College, Curriculum and Instruction, Customizable, Dual Credit, Educational Technology, Master Educator, and Special Education.
- All courses are offered year-round, providing students the opportunity to enroll in as many courses as they can.
- Ball State’s online Master of Arts in Business Education can be earned in as little as 12 months.
Standout Features of Ball State University’s Online Master of Arts in Business Education Program:
Pursuing an online Master of Arts (MA) in Business Education program at Ball State provides students with the opportunity to choose a specialized track and create their plan of study. The program is ranked by the US News & World Report as one of the top 20 universities in the listing for the Best Online Programs for Veterans.
Several respected organizations have recognized Ball State University’s commitment to sustainability, state-of-the-art technology and facilities, and high-quality academic programs. BSU is recognized as the #1 university in Indiana and #53 in the US on the US News & World Report’s Top Performers on Social Mobility 2020. According to The Princeton Review, Ball State is recognized as one of the best universities in the Midwest for 16 years.
University of Florida
: Bryan Hall 100, PO Box 117150 in Gainesville, FL 32611 7150
: 352 273 0668
For over 160 years, the University of Florida consistently pushed the boundaries of training and education forward. It’s one of the universities in the US that pursues the greatest heights of innovation and research. In 1985, UFL became a proud member of the Association of American Universities.
- UF’s Online Master of International Business program is offered through the Warrington College of Business.
- The one-year MIB program is suitable for students with zero to minimal work experience.
- The 30-credit online program consists of 14 core credits and 16 elective credits. Each course is taught in 8-week modules.
- Students will spend six to ten hours per week on assignments, readings, lectures, and other learning materials.
- Although an internship isn’t required, students have the option to pursue independent internships in their preferred organization or company.
Standout Features of the University of Florida’s Online Master of International Business Program:
UFL’s online Master of International Business program includes a mandatory Global Immersion Experience that provides students with the opportunity to visit organizations and businesses to listen to executives and managers discuss their experiences working abroad. It is a 1-week immersion trip designed to offer students an overview of global constraints and foreign business practices. Past locations include Prague, Paris, Munich, London, Brussels, Berlin, and Barcelona. The university also offers optional study abroad opportunities that can range from two weeks to eight months. After completing students’ core courses on the UF campus, they can avail their MIB credits through a foreign study program.
In 2014, the University of Florida passed a major milestone as it grants its 500,000th degree to a Marketing major student and a recipient of the UF’s Machen Florida Opportunity Scholars initiative. This program offers full financial assistance to thousands of learners from low-income backgrounds who are considered the 1st in their families to enroll in college.
Iowa State University
: 515 Morrill Rd., Ames, IA 50011
: 515 294 4111
Iowa State University offers a broad range of study abroad opportunities, internships, undergraduate and graduate programs, research, and 800+ student organizations. Formerly known as Iowa Agricultural College and Model Farm, this a public, land-grant institution of higher learning now caters to more than 27,000 students and is home to 100+ buildings with world-class art, science, technology, and agriculture programs.
- Iowa State’s online Master of Business Analytics program is a cross-discipline program with customizable online content.
- Students will customize their study plans by enrolling in courses from different schools and departments in Iowa State.
- The online Master of Business Analytics program enrolls one cohort per year. Applicants must have at least two years of professional experience.
- Application materials include college transcripts, statement of purpose, two letters of recommendation, and resume.
- Graduates can earn their 30-credit hour graduate business analytics program within 21 months.
Standout Features of Iowa State University’s Online Master of Business Analytics Program:
The online Master of Business Analytics at Iowa State is offered through the AACSB-accredited Ivy College of Business. Through the Ivy College of Business, students can participate in diverse programs to maximize their potentials and connect with professionals through internships, study abroad, interactive learning, and case competitions. Students completing the online MBAN program can pursue various networking and volunteering opportunities at the biggest business analytics symposium in the Midwest.
Iowa State’s Debbie and Jerry Ivy College of Business is one of the highest-ranking business schools in college history. It is now considered the Top 10% of all accredited, full-time MBA programs in the country, as stated in the graduate rankings of the US News & World Report.
Seton Hall University
: 400 South Orange Ave, South Orange, NJ 07079
: 973 761 9000
Headquartered in New Jersey, Seton Hall University is one of the nation’s leading Catholic universities established in 1856. It is home to more than 10,000 undergraduate and graduate learners and offers 90+ rigorous programs. SHU is considered the #1 Catholic university in New Jersey that welcomes all students regardless of their religion, academic background, and status.
- Seton Hall University offers a 30-credit Master of Science in Business Analytics program through its Stillman School of Business.
- Students can expect to earn their degrees within 18 to 24 months after completing the 21-credit hour core required courses and 9-credit hour electives.
- As a culminating requirement, students will accomplish a semester-long capstone project that requires a 2-person team.
- To apply, students must submit their official transcripts, resume, a 200- to 500-word personal statement, letters of recommendation, and an online application form.
- No GRE/GMAT is required for admission for qualified candidates only.
Standout Features of Seton Hall University’s Online Master of Science in Business Analytics Program:
The online Master of Science in Business Analytics program at SHU is offered through the Stillman School. It is the 1st private business school in NJ accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. Students can take advantage of SHU’s Applied Learning Centers, where they can access different learning resources, participate in workshops, and gain support through various business-related initiatives.
Seton Hall University received several recognitions from prestigious organizations and publications. According to The Princeton Review, Forbes, and America’s Best Colleges, respectively, some of the recognitions under its reputation include the Best Business School, One of America’s Top Colleges, and One of the Top Colleges in the Nation for Women. SHU is among the Top 1% worldwide to receive AACSB accreditation in both Accounting and Business.
University of Nevada, Reno
: 1664 N. Virginia Street, Reno, NV 89557
: 775 784 1110
Established in 1874, the University of Nevada, Reno, was founded as Nevada’s land-grant institution under the Morrill Act of 1862. It is the only Tier 1 university located 45 minutes away from Lake Tahoe and a 4-hour drive away from the Bay Area. Today, UNR is recognized as one of the nation’s top research universities by the Carnegie Classification and a Carnegie Engaged University.
- Students require a total of 30 credits to earn an online Master of Science in Business Analytics at UNR.
- UNR’s online MSBA program features four concentration areas: Business Analysis Methods, Data Management, Information Visualization, and Organizational Decision-Making.
- The program requires students to complete a Non-Credit Bootcamp, comprising three weeks of self-paced exercises and foundational knowledge of open-source programming languages.
- Students must have a bachelor’s degree, a 1-page personal statement, two letters of recommendation, and a CV/resume to enroll.
- UNR also requires completing prerequisite courses, such as Introduction To Information Systems and Statistics, before the program.
Standout Features of the University of Nevada, Reno’s Online Master of Science in Business Analytics Program:
The University of Nevada, Reno, offers an online Master of Science in Business Analytics program that features a small student-to-faculty ratio, allowing students to complete their program at their convenience. It has a STEM designation conferred by the US Department of Homeland Security. The program educates and prepares students to start their careers exploring and evaluating data that distinguishes and responds to the questions and challenges crucial to various businesses and organizations.
The University of Nevada, Reno, has created an innovative system with outreach programs and community partnerships to advocate economic prosperity and development around Nevada through UNR’s Research & Innovation division. Because of this initiative, Reno has become a flourishing global technology hub and is home to Sierra Nevada Corporation, Panasonic, Switch, Microsoft Licensing, and Tesla Gigafactory.
: 57 US Highway 1, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8554
: 732 932 8231
Rutgers University is one of the leading comprehensive public research universities in the US. It is also considered the oldest, biggest, and highly-ranked public university in New Jersey. Rutgers University has three major locations, Camden, Newark, and New Brunswick, and features clinical health sciences majors and degrees. The university has garnered accreditation from the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
- The Rutgers Business School offers a 100% online Master of Science in Digital Marketing Program with a residency option.
- The 30-credit hour graduate program consists of 18-credit hour required courses and 12-credit hour elective courses.
- Full-time learners can earn their degree in about two to three semesters, depending on the number of enrolled courses per semester. Part-time students can graduate within 4.5 years.
- Students must submit three essays and three letters of recommendation as part of the application requirements.
- GMAT/GRE scores aren’t mandatory; however, the university prefers if students will submit them.
Standout Features of Rutgers University’s Online Master of Science in Digital Marketing Program:
Rutgers University’s online Master of Science in Digital Marketing program is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. Many courses in the curriculum are integrated with industry-leading marketing technology platforms, such as Tableau, Hootsuite, and Google Analytics. Students can also earn certifications in the related marketing platforms to strengthen their knowledge and credentials.
Rutgers University is a member of the Big Ten Academic Alliance and the Association of American Universities. According to the US News & World Report, Rutgers is the #1 public university in New Jersey and Top 25 public universities in the US. As a state land-grant university, the university has served 21 counties.
: 1000 Galvin Road South, Bellevue, Nebraska 68005
: 402 293 2000
Located in Nebraska, Bellevue University is a recognized national leader in educating and preparing students for lifelong career success while making higher studies more affordable and accessible to every student. Established in 1966, Bellevue is an open-access institution and non-profit university that caters to more than 50,000 undergraduate and graduate students in the US and worldwide. The Higher Learning Commission grants accreditation status to Bellevue University.
- Bellevue’s online Master of Arts in Business and Professional Communication is a career-focused program requiring GRE and GMAT for enrollment.
- The online program offers a communication core with an emphasis on leadership skillset.
- Students must complete a 24-credit core and choose a 12-credit specialization from one out of six areas of study: Business, Computer Information Systems, Executive Coaching, Human Resource Management, Project Management, and Transnational and Cross-Cultural Communication.
- The program has an asynchronous learning format, allowing students to complete assignments day or night.
- Admission requirements include an online application form, baccalaureate degree, and college transcripts.
Standout Features of Bellevue University’s Online Master of Arts In Business and Professional Communication Program:
Enrolling in Bellevue University’s online Master of Arts in Business and Professional Communication program has one of the simplest and most straightforward admission processes. At Bellevue, each distance learner will have an assigned student coach since the start of their program to help them stay on track with their curriculum and receive guidance and other mentoring services. It is a career-focused program with a cohort format, with interactive resources including writing help and online tutoring. The program provides students the option to specialize in a specific area of interest through the Interdisciplinary Studies concentration of the program.
Bellevue University is consistently recognized as one of the nation’s top military-friendly universities. According to The Chronicle of Higher Education, it is also one of the best universities in the US to work for. The university is one of the two recipients from Nebraska and one of the 79 institutions in the US to receive the award. Since 2018, Bellevue is among the Top 10 College for Adult Learners and one of the Best Colleges for Returning Adults and Non-Traditional Students, according to an independent school ranking publication.
: 4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20016
: 855 572 2800
American University has a Master of Science (MS) in International Relations and Business program offered online. It consists of online classwork and sessions integrated with an in-person immersion experience and a capstone project.
- Students must have 36 credit hours to receive their MS degree in International Relations and Business.
- Although students’ commitment and schedule will greatly affect the completion time, they can earn their degrees within 18 months on a full-time learning format.
- The 36-credit hour program consists of 27-credit hour core required courses, 6-credit electives, 1.5-hour Global Immersion, and 1.5-hour Capstone.
- The program is designed with AU’s Kogod School of Business and the School of International Service.
Standout Features of American University’s Online Master of Science in International Relations and Business Program:
American University’s online Master of Science (MS) in International Relations and Business program includes a Global Immersion Experience where students can obtain global exposure during the in-person immersion program in an overseas business hub. The program allows students to witness international business in action and explore the different multinational corporations. Each immersion will vary depending on the site visits and theme.
The online Master of Science (MS) in International Relations and Business program is a joint degree developed by the university’s top-ranked School of International Service and the Kogod School of Business. The Kogod School of Business has received accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. The graduate International Relations program of AU is ranked #8 worldwide by Foreign Policy publication in 2018.
Grand Canyon University
: 3300 West Camelback Road, Phoenix, AZ 85017
: 855 428 5673
Grand Canyon University is a Christian private university headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona. Although a Christian university, the university welcomes students from all states and backgrounds. Formerly known as Grand Canyon College, GCU began with 16 faculty and 100 students in Prescott. The Higher Learning Commission accredits Grand Canyon University.
- GCU’s online Master of Science in Business Analytics program is offered through the Colangelo College of Business.
- The 38-credit hour STEM-designated program focuses on big data analytics.
- The majority of courses have an 8-week duration.
- The university allows students to transfer academic credits of up to 12 credits or 1/3 of the overall program.
- As a culminating requirement, students must accomplish an Applied Capstone Project to gain practical experience.
Standout Features of Grand Canyon University’s Online Master of Science In Business Analytics Program:
GCU’s online Master of Science in Business Analytics program will refine students’ communication skills to convey key information and concepts to all stakeholders. They examine creative problem-solving strategies in the organizational setting. The online MS in Business Analytics program is also integrated with the Christian worldview. Students will identify Christian-minded solutions to ethical challenges while considering the innovative and reformative qualities of moral norms.
Grand Canyon University expanded its student community from fewer than 1,000 learners in 2009 to more than 19,000 students in Fall 2017, where the minimum GPA at the time was 3.5. The university’s non-traditional student community grew from 22,000 distance learners in 2009 to 60,000+ online students. More than 47% of the online student community at GCU are graduate students, and the population is still growing.