If you dream of leading a business, nonprofit, government, or private organization and want to obtain the means to make it happen, pursuing a Master of Science in Administration (MSA) degree would be your best bet for career advancement.
The MSA is a blend of two popular academic degrees, the Master of Business Administration and Master’s of Public Administration. It instills in students the essential competency to adapt to the rapid changes in the fields of administration and management.
The Master of Science in Administration, in particular, is fit for students with a passion for leading teams and formulating solutions to complex management problems in business and public service or the federal government. Graduates are expected to possess specialized expertise in business or public administration.
Here’s An Easy Way to See Your Best Options: Use these Page Jumps!
- Central Michigan University
- Fairleigh Dickenson University
- University of South Dakota
- Barry University Adrian Dominican School of Education
- Boston College Woods College of Advancing Studies
Primarily a leadership education program, an MSc in Administration degree must produce the most competent professionals. Online programs for the MSc in Administration program are rare, but a few of them are facilitated through a blended format. That said, the importance of choosing the right graduate school cannot be overstated!
We identify five of the best graduate schools in the US offering online MSc in Administration programs that were selected based on these factors:
- Offered mostly in hybrid format, wherein students must comply with virtual arrangements and attend classes on-campus as well for hands-on learning,
- Features extensive coursework encompassing various disciplines, such as political science, economics, business administration, financial management, public administration, and project and resource management, among others,
- Offers students a selection of specializations or areas of focus, including Human Resource Administration and Organizational Leadership,
- Offers credit transfers and financial aid for master’s degree students,
- Expert faculty consists of professionals who have made a name for themselves in the area of Administration, with most, if not all of them, holding terminal degrees,
- Full accreditation from academic agencies or agencies that uphold the highest standards of instruction on the master’s degree level,
- Affiliated with associations that assist in the promotion of Administration programs and careers,
For more about the details of our ranking process, please read our Methodology.
5 Best Online Master of Science in Administration Programs and Graduate Schools
Central Michigan University
Mount Pleasant, MI
The online Master of Science in Administration at Central Michigan University is a 36-credit-hour graduate program designed to make you understand the dynamics of leadership and organizational structures. It will equip you with the knowledge and skills you need to be an effective manager of an organization.
CMU guarantees its online master in administration program will take your competency to the next level. About one-half of the entire curriculum provides students with a holistic understanding of organizational theory, foundations of organizational leadership, strategic planning, project management, financial management, team building, and many more. The remaining half allows you to master the courses in your chosen area of specialization.
These are the concentrations of CMU’s MSA program.
- General Administration is the area of specialization that allows students to take courses from multiple concentrations including legal, human relations, and project administration. It can make you versatile as you will learn a lot of things theoretically.
- Public Administration consists of courses that allow enrollees to gain an in-depth understanding of social, political, and economic atmospheres in public and nonprofit organizations. It prepares you for a career in public service.
- Human Resource Administration offers courses about the management, administration, and resolution of employment and labor relations issues. It also consists of subjects about organizational development, training, and labor relations.
- Leadership immerses students in a deep study of organizational strategies, cultural diversity, negotiation, conflict management, group dynamics, and effective communication. It is primarily intended to enable leaders to meet organizational goals.
- Project Management aims to develop and hone your leadership, multitasking, analytical thinking, and communication skills. It will equip you with the ability to create, manage, and complete projects on time at the least possible cost.
- Research Administration provides you with administrative and organizational skills to facilitate, monitor, and support research programs.
- Digital Management equips students with skills and confidence to lead teams remotely and leverage the digital resources of the organization.
- Engineering Management consists of courses that will develop and hone your leadership and strategic management skills in the administration of industrial and high technology organizations.
- Health Services Administration helps to provide you with the legal and financial facets of the health care industry. It develops your skills in managing resources, navigating regulations, and leading your organization in a rapidly evolving industry.
- Logistics and Acquisitions are highly in demand because it leads to a position that is needed in every organization. It develops your knowledge in purchasing, strategic planning, administrative law, and regulatory concepts. It can help to develop you into a vital player in the operation of your company’s business.
- International Administration teaches you about the impact of different cultural systems impact in businesses. It includes courses that can give you a broad understanding of marketing, law, and global finance.
- Training and Development consist of courses that train the trainers and teach them effective ways of training employees and teaching them about the factors and guidelines for making knowledge-based decisions.
- Philanthropy and Nonprofit Organizations consists of courses that develop you into an effective leader in strategic philanthropy, grants, nonprofit sector.
CMU offers financial aid to provide you with college and graduate education because it believes education is one of the best investments you can make for yourself and your future.
CMU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
Did You Know?
The Military Times considers Central Michigan University as the 8th best university for veterans in the United States. The format of its online MSA curriculum is also friendly to military students.
Fairleigh Dickenson University
The online Master of Administrative Science at Fairleigh Dickinson University is designed for working professionals and individuals who can’t attend face-to-face classes due to personal and other commitments. It aims to provide you with the knowledge and competencies you need to be a leader in the organization or industry you are working for.
This online master’s program is open to holders of an undergraduate degree who can submit official transcripts and other admission requirements. International applicants are also welcome to submit their applications to the admissions committee.
The online Master of Administrative Science program works to develop your proficiency in subjects that can mold you into a proficient and effective leader. These topics include:
- Organizational Leadership
- Business Ethics
- Human Performance and Productivity
- Human Resources
- Team Building
- Complex Organizations
- Professional Communication
Fairleigh Dickinson’s graduate degree in administrative science commits to providing you with expert guidance from experienced faculty. The courses are asynchronous and it allows you to interact with professors and fellow students.
Fairleigh Dickinson offers financial aid to qualified graduate students to allow them to pursue their education. Its academic programs are accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Did You Know?
FDU is a participant in the Yellow Ribbon program. It is listed by the U.S. News & World Report as one of the Best Colleges for Veterans.
University of South Dakota
The online Graduate Degrees in Administration at the University of South Dakota is designed to equip you with real-world knowledge and skills to lead an organization. The program is available 100% online to holders of a bachelor’s degree. It consists of eight areas of specialization. These are:
- Organizational Leadership intends to hone your leadership skills in different organizational settings. Focused on modern leadership principles, it allows you to develop strategies when leading a team or organization.
- Health Services Administration consists of courses in health planning, healthcare management, and advanced healthcare systems. It can help to get you a leadership role in the healthcare industry.
- Long-term Care Administration addresses the issue of an increasing number of the old population in America, which translates to a rise in health issues. With this specialization, Boston College can help you become a part of the solution to this impending health crisis.
- Human Resource Management equips you with a deep understanding of modern personnel administration and human resource management.
- Nonprofit Management consists of courses that allow you to broaden your skills in fundraising, management of nonprofit operations, grant-writing, and personnel management.
- Criminal Justice Studies provides you with a deep understanding of police administration, criminal procedures, and graduate education in criminal justice.
- Addiction Studies consists of courses that teach etiology, prevention, and treatment of drug addiction and alcoholism.
- Interdisciplinary Studies can suit your career goals the way you want. With the assistance of a student advisor, you are allowed to choose courses from different specializations to design one that matches your interests.
The University of South Dakota offers financial aid to qualified students to lighten the financial burden associated with their studies.
The University of South Dakota is an accredited institution. Its academic programs are recognized by the Higher Learning Commission. USD is also accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Did You Know?
The University of South Dakota was founded in 1862 in Vermillion, SD.
Barry University Adrian Dominican School of Education
Miami Shores, FL
Barry University’s Master of Arts in Administration program is intended for working professionals with the intent and potential to take on leadership roles in modern organizations. It is a 36-credit-hour advanced leadership program that aims to provide knowledge and mastery in leadership, human resources, applied research, diversity, and more.
This MAA degree program can equip you with administrative competencies that you can use in private, business, public, and nonprofit organizations. It is open to all student applicants with an undergraduate degree.
The courses in the MAA curriculum are designed to provide you with the knowledge, competence, and confidence to:
- Evaluate and develop creative solutions to organizational problems,
- Assess issues involving social and ethical justice in modern organizations,
- Identify resources and administrative skills needed to overcome and prevent administrative challenges in modern organizations,
- Apply a combination of administrative concepts and techniques within the social, economic and political landscape of an organization,
- Analyze and manage processes in the workplace with academic research methods.
Barry University offers financial aid to students who need financial assistance to enroll in the university.
Barry University complies with the educational standards of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Did You Know?
Barry University is promoting hands-on learning techniques to allow students to learn through experience and attain a broader point of view of how things work in the real world.
Boston College Woods College of Advancing Studies
Chestnut Hill, MA
The Master of Science in Leadership and Administration at Boston College is designed to train leaders to mold students into administrators with the will and skills to implement administrative changes. This hybrid master’s program is available to all students who have completed a bachelor’s degree.
The courses in this curriculum are anchored on creativity, teamwork, innovation, and peer support. The program will provide you with strategic management leadership skills and adaptability to thrive in complex environments.
The program allows you to customize your degree by choosing one of its five highly in-demand specializations:
Corporate Communications and Marketing
Four major courses fortify this area of specialization. These are the Communications in a Global Work Environment, Public Relations and Crisis Communications, Marketing Analytics, and Social Influence. These courses are designed to help you tackle your challenges as a public relations or project manager.
Whether you are managing your own business or working for a public service organization or a private corporation, the management principles embedded in the Corporate Communications & Marketing courses will give you the knowledge and confidence to communicate effectively and overcome the challenges of real-world business affairs.
Executive Leadership and Organizational Development
This specialization is designed to develop a generation of principled and learned managers of successful organizations. It teaches students to be adaptable to change and nurture a culture of proactiveness.
Human Resource Management
With the present organizational landscape relying on the Human Resources Department as a major player in responding to evolving needs of the modern workforce, the Human Resource Management specialization at Boston College commits to providing you with knowledge and skills to implement strategic organizational changes and introduce new workforce practices.
It aims to sharpen your competencies and give you the confidence to be an influencer in building sustainable organizations.
This specialization aims to provide you with problem-solving and adaptive management skills to thrive in the project management industry. It teaches and trains you to plan and execute projects with the highest quality and the least risks.
It also intends to develop and hone your team management skills and give you the capability to maintain steadfastness to balance the conflicting demands of project stakeholders.
As a student in this specialization, your opportunity for learning doesn’t end in project management. You will also be given ample time to learn important subjects such as health care management, information technology, cybersecurity, and a lot more.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Boston College understands that the demand for experienced diversity professionals is rising. Moreover, the 113% growth rate in the demand for social justice in the last five years is hard to ignore.
For this reason, Boston College offers the DEI specialization to produce organizational leaders and managers who can conceive and implement long-term solutions that foster justice and fairness for everyone.
Boston College provides financial aid to help qualified students fund their studies and achieve their educational goals. Its academic programs are recognized by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE).
Did You Know?
Woods College is the fourth-oldest school in Boston College.
More About the Master of Science in Administration Program
While not commonly offered in most grad schools in the United States, the MSc in Administration is never in any way inferior to the other specialized administrative master’s degrees!
As a cross between the Master of Public Administration (MPA)and Master of Business Administration (MBA) degrees, the MSA consists of courses from several disciplines that will enrich your knowledge in different subjects including management, human relations, economics, finance, etc. and make you more versatile as a leader.
Amid the tightness of schedules and a burning desire to attain educational and career goals, online learning is a saving grace and game changer for working students who aspire for professional advancement.
The schools that offer the MSA degree are few, but it can only tell that if you can complete the program, you are a rare breed of professionals thriving in this world. You should be proud and thankful to your school for delivering your MSA degree through the online learning system.
The successful completion of an MSc in Administration degree will provide you with a mastery of business management and organizational leadership skills. It is also your first big step towards the development of your business and professional network. This degree will open doors for you to a rewarding long-term career.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Master of Science in Administration degree?
The MSc in Administration degree is an advanced field of study that prepares students for administrative positions in public service, private, and nonprofit organizations.
Offered as a 36-credit-hour program in most schools, it is a versatile degree designed to develop and hone the students’ administrative, leadership, strategic management, and organizational knowledge and skills. The degree is open to students with a bachelor’s degree from any regionally accredited college or university in the country.
What is the cost of studying Master of Science in Administration degree?
The cost of pursuing an MSc in Administration degree may vary from one school to another. But according to estimates, the average cost of a graduate degree program in the United States is between $30,000 and $40,000.
What’s waiting out there for a graduate with a Master’s in Administration?
Several career opportunities are available to holders of the MSA degree because plenty of business, government, and nonprofit organizations need people with administrative and leadership, and public administration skills.
Depending on your area of specialization, an MSA degree can offer you a promising career as an administrator, human resource manager, or project manager in a large corporation, public service, or nonprofit organization.
Do you need work experience to qualify for a Master of Science in Administration program?
Some colleges or universities require professional experience from student applicants who intend to enroll in their MSA program. But several universities are willing to admit students who aspire to pursue their educational goals if they can submit their official transcripts and other admission requirements, and comply with the prerequisite courses asked for by the program.
Is pursuing a Master of Science in Administration degree worth it?
Yes. Pursuing a master’s degree in administration is worth it because it is your doorway to gaining real-world leadership knowledge and skills to tackle administrative roles in your organization. Whatever area of specialization you choose will provide you with critical, analytical, administrative, and decision-making competencies to qualify for a leadership position in a team or organization.
Federal data shows that employment in management occupations will rise by nine percent from 2020 to 2030. The average median annual salary of an administrative manager is $99,290.
The demand for administrative positions in government, nonprofit, and industrial sectors should be motivation for working professionals like you to pursue graduate degrees in administration.
Several universities in the United States offer specialized master’s degrees in public administration, business administration, health care administration, sports administration, arts administration, justice administration, and more!
Only a handful of schools offer the graduate administration program, so be sure to make the right choice!
- The 10 Best Online Master’s of Public Service and Administration Grad Schools
- The 5 Best Online Master of Science in Development Administration Graduate Schools
- The 25 Best Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) Grad School Programs
- The 20 Best Doctor of Educational Leadership (Ed.D.) and Administration Graduate Schools