Find your perfect college degree
In this article, we will be covering...
Students who want to pursue a career in an exciting, dynamic, and lucrative field may want to consider earning an online Master’s in Entertainment Management. Most entertainment management programs provide students with a solid foundation when it comes to navigating the future of the sports and entertainment industry and prepare them to become leaders in the field.
Some of the best online Master’s in Entertainment Management degrees are versatile, equipping students with knowledge and skills integral to sports and entertainment organizations. They will get to acquire management expertise that impacts various aspects of the entertainment marketplace, including development, production, marketing, distribution, and strategy.
- Best Grad Schools with Online Master’s in Creative/Design
- Best Grad Schools with Online Master’s in Game Design
- Best Grad Schools with Online Master’s in Digital Marketing
Fortunately, many universities in the country offer online Master’s in Entertainment Management programs, allowing working professionals to gain the flexibility they need to pursue their educational advancement goals without putting their budding careers on the line.
This degree is the most ideal for those who want to take on leadership roles in sports and entertainment management, the music business, and other entertainment industries.
Quick audio summary:
The world of entertainment is challenging and dynamic, and students must also carefully choose the schools and degrees that give them the best chance of making it in this field. There are a lot of things to consider, and students must do their due diligence on the options that are available to them.
We can help with that! We’ve gathered graduate schools that offer a Master’s Degree in Entertainment Management, which were selected based on the following features:
- Delivers courses entirely/mostly online, giving students added flexibility and time that they can commit to their lives and careers,
- Contains coursework that covers all the key aspects related to Entertainment Management, both on the business/management side and in terms of advanced skills and industry-specific knowledge and insights,
- Taught by faculty that have significant industry experience that they can impart to students,
- Features a robust network of alumni working in the industry that can help support students as they launch their own careers,
- Offers a good set of financial aid options (federal financial aid, grants, etc.) that can help students reduce and manage the cost of their tuition,
- and, Holds the right accreditation credentials.
Best in Online Master’s in Entertainment Management Programs
University of Miami
1320 S Dixie Hwy, Coral Gables, FL 33146
Miami University is known for groundbreaking research and high-quality graduate education. Founded in 1925, the university has become one of the top private educational institutions, comprising 12 schools and colleges and serving more than 19,000 students across 350 majors and programs.
- Miami University’s online Master of Arts in Live Entertainment Management explores performing arts and commercial music.
- Online students will be able to gain a thorough understanding of marketing, operations, risk management, entertainment business finance, and legal aspects of different entertainment efforts.
- They are being prepared to become leaders in various live entertainment settings, whether behind the scenes or in the management aspect.
- The curriculum is composed of 10 courses and can be completed in 18 months.
The University of Miami’s entertainment management master’s degree features a wide selection of elective courses. This allows students to follow a specialized track by choosing electives that will help them meet their career goals. Some of the electives within the curriculum include:
- Music Copyright Law,
- Tour Management and Production,
- Media Creation,
- Entrepreneurship for Musicians,
- Arts Leadership, and more.
Did You Know?
While the entertainment management online degree program offered at the University of Miami can be completed 100% online, students can still enjoy substantial student support to help them throughout their online learning experience.
Students are introduced to a Student Support Team who are available around the clock by email and telephone. They help address any questions and address problems. Some of the support they lend includes course materials, billing and payment, and technology.
2900 Purchase Street, Purchase, NY 10577
Located in New York, Manhattanville College is a private liberal arts institution with a rich history of academic excellence through its innovative programs. Currently, they offer more than 55 undergraduate and 70 graduate programs, many of which can be completed fully online.
- The Master of Science in Sports Business and Entertainment Management at Manhattanville College requires the completion of 36 credit hours’ worth of courses that can be typically done in as few as 15 months.
- Students can learn from entertainment management professionals with demonstrated experience in the sports and entertainment world.
- At the end of the program, entertainment business students are expected to gain and apply knowledge of relevant and essential topics, including analytics, social media, marketing, sports law, and finance.
Students enrolled in the program will find that this online program is competitively priced. They can benefit from pay-by-the-course tuition, making the degree more affordable.
Did You Know?
Manhattanville College makes the process of admission easier for students who wish to start their academic journey. For one, GMAT is not required. Students will only need to hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and meet a 2.75 GPA or higher.
3141 Chestnut Street, Suite 015, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Drexel University makes its home in the heart of Philadelphia. This R1 research institution is a leader in experiential higher education. The university is serving more than 22,000 students, 8,367 of whom are graduate and professional students. They also cater to 4,029 online students.
- The online Master of Science in Television and Media Management degree program at Drexel University equips entertainment professionals with advanced business expertise and insight into various essential topics, including audience analysis, programming, media technology, and so much more.
- Students are expected to acquire a thorough understanding of the new media ecology surrounding the world of digital television.
- To earn the program, students must complete a total of 49 credit hours.
Apart from its flexible online format that allows students to earn the degree in a shorter period of time, the program also offers reduced tuition rates to members of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS) and other partner organizations. This means they can save 20% from the online program.
Did You Know?
In 2019, Drexel University was designated by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions as an R1 Doctoral University – Very High Research Activity.
Full Sail University
3300 University Boulevard, Winter Park, Florida 32792
Full Sail University has been offering quality academic programs since its foundation in 1979. Some of their programs are fully available online. Full Sail utilizes a learning approach with a focus on creative problem-solving and real-world industry experience.
- The Master of Science in Entertainment Business degree program explores specific business and management skills integral to leading in the entertainment industry.
- Students can expect to tackle key concepts such as publishing and distribution, contract negotiation, financial planning, and more.
- They will learn integrated media strategies that are important for entertainment managers and top executives to succeed in the field.
Entertainment professionals who have at least 5 years of experience in the management or leadership field may take advantage of the credit-by-examination program. This lets qualified students test out up to five courses in their online degree.
Did You Know?
Full Sail University is known for its innovative style of education. It offers unique curricula where all elements are combined to help students achieve academic success, equipping them with life skills, business skills, creativity, and technical prowess.
Trevecca Nazarene University
333 Murfreesboro Pike Nashville, TN 37210
Founded in 1901, Trevecca Nazarene University has remained committed to providing quality education to help students lead and serve. They currently offer hundreds of degree programs, from associate degrees and undergraduate majors to master’s and doctoral programs.
- The online Master of Science in Sport and Entertainment Management program offered by Trevecca Nazarene University provides students with a rich understanding of the industry along with authentic and real-world experiences.
- The 34-credit-hour online program is taught by experienced faculty with advanced degrees in the field.
- The program culminates into a capstone research project with a professional partner.
Students can join the mentorship program where they can be paired with a professional mentor. This arrangement will help them complete their research, all the while growing their network and honing their critical thinking skills.
Did You Know?
True to their commitment to accessible and quality education, Trevecca Nazarene University keeps the student-teacher ratio small and manageable at 19:1. This ensures students are given equal attention and opportunity to grow and succeed.
University of North Texas
1155 Union Circle #311277, Denton, Texas 76203-5017
The University of North Texas is a public research university in the city of Denton Texas, first founded in 1890. The university currently has around 42,400 students enrolled in graduate and undergraduate degrees, spread throughout its 14 colleges.
- University of North Texas MBA in Sport Entertainment Management serves as a well-placed entry point for careers in the sports entertainment industry.
- This degree program is developed and offered in collaboration with the Dallas Cowboys, which is currently the most valuable sports team in the world.
- The program is offered both on-campus and online, with the on-campus program offered exclusively at UNT’s Frisco campus.
- The program contains a total of 36 credit hours, with 18 credit hours’ worth of sports entertainment industry-specific courses.
- The program has a 2-year completion timeline, with the concluding capstone project taking the form of a consultancy project with a real-world client.
Being offered in collaboration with the Dallas Cowboys, the program serves as a unique opportunity for students to gain access to and firsthand experience of what is one of the country’s biggest sports leagues. UNT also has partnerships with other Texas-based teams from other sports leagues like the NBA and Major League Soccer.
Did You Know?
As a research university, UNT belongs to Cambridge Classifications’ “R1: Doctoral Universities – Very High Research Activity” category.
Southern Connecticut State University
501 Crescent Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06515-1355
Southern Connecticut State University is a public founded back in 1893. It shares its home city of New Haven with Yale University, and while its neighbor is more well-known and arguably more prestigious, SCSU is no slouch; it remains a center of excellence in the liberal arts and professional disciplines.
- Southern Connecticut State University’s MS in Sport and Entertainment Management serves as preparation for management/leadership roles in the entertainment, sports, and athletics industries.
- The program contains a total of 36 credit hours, of which 12 credits are for Specialization track courses.
- The program offers specialization tracks in Sport Management, Entertainment Management, or Athletics Administration.
- The program concludes with a 6-credit hour capstone, which can either be a Thesis or a Special Project.
- Graduates of the program are prepared for careers in event management, sport management, youth development, and other related fields.
This degree program makes use of both experiential learning activities that let students develop their practical experience, on top of coursework taught by faculty with relevant industry experience.
Did You Know?
SCSU also offers other undergraduate and graduate programs related to Recreation, Tourism, and Sport Management. Its BS in Sport Management is offered with an option for an Online MS-Accelerated Pathway.
Southern New Hampshire University
2500 North River Road, Manchester, NH 03106
Southern New Hampshire University is a private, not-for-profit institution based in Manchester, New Hampshire. With its roots stretching back to its founding in 1932, it continues to enjoy a high rate of growth. It also has a large population of online students, currently at around 135,000, as well as around 3,000 on-campus students.
- SNHU offers an online MS in Sport Management that combines fundamental business skills with hands-on learning opportunities into a degree program that prepares students for careers in the sports industry.
- The program prepares students for leadership roles, including those in professional sports, intercollegiate athletics, recreation, and more.
- This online program contains a total of 36 credit hours and can be completed in as little as 15 months, depending on the student’s chosen learning pace.
- The program’s curriculum includes courses on global sports management, leadership and management theory, strategic analysis, sports marketing, and more.
- The program includes field experience components in a variety of sports, fitness, and recreational industry settings.
Southern New Hampshire University offers some of the lowest tuition rates in the country for online education. Likewise, coursework is asynchronous, which can add flexibility to students’ schedules and prior commitments. Additionally, students can transfer in up to 12 credits, and potentially earn credits for applicable previous work experience.
Did You Know?
Student support for SNHU students goes well beyond their graduation, with the university’s huge alumni network that can provide internship and career opportunities.
Southern Utah University
351 West University Blvd, Cedar City, Utah 84720
Southern Utah University is a public university based in Cedar City, Utah, founded back in 1897. It currently has around 14,000 students enrolled across its 19 graduate and 140 undergraduate degree programs and is recognized as one of the best regional universities in the West, one of the most affordable online, and many other accolades.
- Southern Utah University’s Master of Arts in Arts Administration is ideal for careers related to both the performing and visual arts.
- This entirely online program contains a total of 36 credit hours. Meanwhile, the Master of Fine Arts version of the program is delivered on-campus as an experiential learning residency.
- Coursework in the online MA track includes financial management, legal issues, fundraising, management, development, and more.
- Students are required to maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. The final Capstone Project can only be taken once and may not be repeated.
- The MA in Arts Administration falls under the SUU Online Campus, hence students are charged a singular tuition rate, regardless of whether they are in-state or out-of-state.
This degree program features an interdisciplinary design, and as opposed to being strictly focused on entertainment, is designed to be applicable to any arts discipline. SUU is also a member of the Association of Arts Administration Educators, which represents the world’s leading arts administration programs.
Did You Know?
SUU’s Master of Arts track in Administration program continues to enjoy a high ranking (number 2) among the most affordable online master’s in entertainment management programs.
University of Texas at Austin
110 Inner Campus Drive, Austin, Texas 78705
A public research university, The University of Texas at Austin is the flagship campus of the University of Texas System. Dating back to 1881, the university currently has a student population of over 50,000 and is regarded as one of the “Public Ivies” in the country.
- The University of Texas Austin’s Master of Education in Sport Management is designed for those who intend to take on leadership/executive positions within the sport and recreation industry.
- The program consists of a sequence of 10 courses, for a total of 30 credit hours. The program’s courses are delivered entirely online, and students can complete the program within 2 years.
- The program focuses on key aspects of sport management, including marketing, business, resource management, legal aspects, leadership, and ethics.
- The program is designed to be open to students of all academic backgrounds, however, applicants are required to have at least one year of full-time work experience and a bachelor’s degree to be considered.
- The program does not require an internship, however, students who want to conduct an internship for course credits may be able to, upon coordinating with the program director. The program also does not require a thesis.
As opposed to the many master’s degree programs, this is offered as a Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree program. Nevertheless, it features a well-rounded curriculum that covers crucial key topic areas related to sports management.
Did You Know?
UT Austin also offers a Master of Science in Sport Management. Students who are interested in research pursuits related to sports management may also want to consider this program instead, as it is designed to eventually lead to pursuing a Ph.D.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the most popular career paths for Entertainment Management graduates?
Earning an online master’s degree in entertainment management opens up a wealth of career opportunities. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, entertainment and sports occupations have a median annual salary of $52,940. People in this industry with graduate degrees under their belt can boost their earning potential.
Some of the best entertainment management careers include entertainment managers, marketing managers, public relations specialists, business managers, and more.
What are the common admission requirements to Entertainment Management degree programs?
Generally, the admission requirements vary depending on the university. However, prospective students often need to hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Some schools require students to meet a minimum cumulative GPA. Others waive the need for GMAT. To be sure, students may check with the admissions office for more information.
Entertainment Management programs are ideal for those who are looking to advance their careers or hold leadership positions in the entertainment industry, whether in the visual arts, the music business finance, music marketing, performing arts, or sports industries.
A master’s in entertainment management degree contains both fundamental business-related content, as well as industry-specific management, business development, professional development, and strategy courses.
These degree programs have an added benefit to entertainment management graduates: providing them with support after graduating through alumni and other professional networks that they get introduced to.