Find your perfect college degree
In this article, we will be covering...
Are you interested in changing your career? Are you contemplating taking the plunge into a new world of learning and experience in higher education? Pursuing an online Master’s of Advanced Study degree is the perfect way to get started!
In this degree program, students are able to choose from a wide variety of different areas of study and discipline. Specializing in the field of their choice, advancing professionals can enroll in a program that not only gives them the experience they need to grow in knowledge but also gives them a flexible and tailored curriculum that is perfectly worked to fit their needs and interests.
Covering a wide array of topics, earning a Master’s of Advanced Study graduate degree will provide many opportunities. If you desire to learn through a distance learning option, online degree programs are readily available. You can choose to sharpen your existing skills, as well as learn new ones. If you are interested in starting a new career, this degree could be for you!
Quick audio summary:
A Versatile Degree
Instead of focusing solely on academics in a ‘one-size-fits-all’ type of arrangement, online advanced study degree programs build up the students’ current expertise and ability, while at the same time giving them tools to advance their knowledge and skills.
Since career ambitions and aspirations are diverse and multi-faceted, graduate students can choose to either build upon current knowledge in a specific area of interest or change their interest and switch to a new career path with the inspiration given through an online Masters of Advanced Study program.
Even if you are already well on your way to having an established working career, pursuing a degree in advanced studies will help you stand out in a competitive market, and is even perceived to be a necessary step by many professionals.
A large number of colleges and universities have helped to address this growing need by introducing a variation of Advanced Studies programs to help you, the professional, prepare yourself to become an effective leader in your profession.
We created this list of the Best Online Master’s of Advanced Study Graduate Schools with these program features in mind:
- Offered 100% or partially online to ensure flexibility and convenience,
- A comprehensive Master of Advanced Study program featuring theory and application of concepts to numerous disciplines,
- Well-credentialed online members of the faculty,
- Offers students virtual learning tools and resources accessible via a top-rated online learning platform,
- Provides eligible Master of Advanced Study graduate students with different financial aid options,
- and, Fully accredited by academic agencies and organizations.
10 Best Online Master’s of Advanced Study Graduate Schools
American College of Education
The American College of Education has been a frontrunner in providing online programs for professional development. Since 2005, ACE has continued to serve the student community around the U.S., granting more than 22,000 degrees and counting.
- American College of Education’s Online Master of Education in Advanced Studies program requires 18 credit hours for completion.
- The online program consists of numerous majors and focuses of study, allowing students to design their own programs.
- 12 out of 18 credits will specialize in students’ choice of focus of study. The study focuses on Online Learning and Teaching, International Education, Instructional Leadership, Higher Education, Community College Leadership, and Adult and Continuing Education.
- The American College of Education is recognized by the Higher Learning Commission.
- The Online Master of Education in Advanced Studies can be completed in approximately 17 months.
Students pursuing an online Master of Education in Advanced Studies program have the opportunity to access a wealth of student support and learning resources. For example, ACE’s Student Commons provides students with step-by-step tutorials, sample dissertations, research guides, and handbooks.
As such, they can access numerous software applications and video libraries to support their online studies. The Master of Education in Advanced Studies program of ACE has ranked #4 nationally for most graduates with a Master of Education program in the U.S.
The American College of Education has received numerous Top 5 placements and accolades across numerous third-party organizations, such as Best Places To Work In Indiana and the ISTE Educator Standards.
Arizona State University
Arizona State University is a consistent online school for providing high-quality programs to many students around the U.S. ASU is home to more than 270 athletic championships, 400+ nationally-honored prestigious faculty, 1000+ student scholars, and 79 elite programs.
- ASU’s Online Master of Advanced Study in Health Informatics has ten classes, with a 7.5-week duration per class.
- A total of 30 credits is required for completion of the online program.
- The 30-credit online MAS in Health Informatics comprises 12 credits of core courses, 15 credits of electives, and three credits of an applied project.
- To enroll, students must have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a related area of study, such as public health, pharmacy, nursing, medicine, computer science, or biology.
- No GRE/GMAT is required for admission.
ASU’s College of Health Solutions is a world-class institution that trains students and faculty to develop effective solutions for global health challenges.
Students pursuing the Online Master of Advanced Study in Health Informatics can take advantage of the College of Health Solutions’ partnerships with Dignity Health, HonorHealth, Banner Health, and Mayo Clinic to build their professional networks and gain access to their professional resources.
Arizona State University has been recognized by the U.S. News & World Report as the nation’s most innovative school. Its nationally-ranked degree offerings make ASU a top-tier hiring and recruiting institution for the country’s top-qualified graduates.
Missouri State University
Established in 1905, Missouri State University was once an institution for preparing teachers for public school systems around Southwest Missouri. The university has four headquarters catering to a diverse student community – one in Dalian, China, and three in Missouri.
- Missouri State University has received accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission.
- Missouri State’s Online Master of Professional Studies is a 33-hour interdisciplinary program.
- The online MPS program allows students to choose one Open Area of concentration.
- The Open Areas of concentration include Sports Management, Project Management, Producing and Screenwriting, Hospitality Administration, Homeland Security, Criminal Justice, and Applied Communication.
- Missouri State University offers numerous financial aid programs for graduate students, including Graduate Assistantships, Loans, Grants, and Scholarships.
The Online Master of Professional Studies program at Missouri State is one of its kind and is highly customizable! Students develop their curriculum for the MPS program by choosing from a diverse range of electives. With the program director’s help, you can pursue an Individualized plan of study and get help with deciding through an Open Area to choose from.
Almost all online degree programs offered at Missouri State University have received accreditations from numerous accrediting agencies.
Regardless if you’re pursuing an online program at the university’s Communication Sciences & Disorders, Biomedical Sciences, School of Nursing, or College of Education, you can definitely find an accreditation with the associated program through Missouri State’s website.
Middle Tennessee State University
With a long list of accreditations, Middle Tennessee State University provides students with reputable programs in state-of-the-art facilities. The university currently offers more than 300 undergraduate and graduate degree programs in various disciplines, preparing learners for lucrative careers.
- Students pursuing an Online Master of Professional Studies at MTSU must accomplish 30 credits of coursework completion to graduate.
- The online MPS program has five concentrations to choose from, such as Human Resources Leadership, Leadership in Nutrition, Operations Research, Strategic Leadership, and Training and Development.
- Students must complete 12-credit hour core courses, 15-credit hour concentration courses, and a 3-credit hour culminating project to graduate.
- Adult students with five years of professional experience will no longer submit GRE scores for admission.
- MTSU’s online Master of Professional Studies is a member of the Tennessee Transfer Pathway, allowing students to easily transfer their academic credits to any private and public universities around Tennessee.
The best thing about MTSU’s Master of Professional Studies is it is a 100% online and flexible program, providing adult learners with the opportunity to complete the program without compromising their personal and professional commitments. Aside from that, it’s also one of the most affordable MPS programs around Tennessee.
MTSU is a proud member of the Adult Learning-Focused Institution of Higher Education and the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning. To add to its prestigious recognition, the university has been awarded by Princeton Review as one of the “Best Universities in the Nation”.
Claremont Lincoln University
Thanks to many peacemakers, philanthropists, and scholars, Claremont Lincoln University is now home to many top-quality California programs taught with interfaith values. It is a graduate university providing state-of-the-art academic programs with a global perspective.
- CLU’s online Master’s Degree in Professional Studies Concentration is one of the many concentrations offered under the graduate Organizational Leadership concentration.
- Graduates can earn their degrees in as little as 13 months.
- Students must also take the Claremont Core® courses aside from the program’s core courses to develop their engagement skills essential to implementing Professional Studies ideas and theories.
- No GRE or GMAT is required for enrollment into the online program.
- Claremont Lincoln University has garnered accreditation from the WASC Senior College and University Commission.
The online Graduate Professional Studies program is integrated with the foundational Claremont Core® Change, Collaboration, Dialogue, and Mindfulness. As a result, students enhance their proficiencies for leadership and collaboration across economic, faith, and cultural mindsets.
The majority of students at Claremont Lincoln University are adult professionals. The student community consists of multi-generational people, with each offering a unique perspective to virtual discussions.
Fairmont State University
Headquartered in West Virginia, Fairmont State University is a state-supported and student-centered academic institution providing a diverse range of certificate and degree programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Fairmont State University’s 30-credit hour Online Master of Education – Professional Studies is a highly customizable online program, allowing students to design their own curriculum with an academic advisor’s help.
- The online program consists of 9 credit hours of core graduate courses and 21 credit hours of a professional plan of study.
- For online students, the online M.Ed. in Professional Studies can be integrated with other learning pathways, such as Digital Media and Learning, Special Education, and Literacy.
- For hybrid learning, students have the option to choose one out of three concentrations, such as Fitness and Wellness, Business Administration – Human Resources Management, or Business Administration – Project Management.
- Fairmont State’s prominent accreditations include the Higher Learning Commission and the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation.
Fairmont State University’s Online M.Ed. in Professional Studies is one of the most affordable programs of its kind in West Virginia. The program allows students to design their pathway to learning through the faculty advisors’ guidance.
That said, students will develop a curriculum based on their professional aspirations and academic interests.
Fairmont State University’s strategic location offers students with outdoor adventures outside their academics. It sits on a stunning hilltop headquarters in West Virginia, surrounded by nature, providing easy access to skiing, climbing, rafting, camping, and biking –icing on the academic cake for nature lovers.
Tennessee Tech University
Tennessee Tech University is home to over 10,000 traditional and non-traditional learners. The university has several degree offerings through its eight academic schools and colleges, namely Nursing, Interdisciplinary Studies, Fine Arts, Engineering, Education, Business, Arts and Sciences, and Agriculture and Human Ecology.
- Graduates interested in enrolling in an Online Master’s of Professional Studies at Tennessee Tech must submit a portfolio package to enroll.
- The portfolio package includes a 500 to 600-word essay, two letters of professional reference, and professional awards/recognitions/achievements.
- Tennessee Tech requires applicants to have five years of professional experience in the related industry.
- Tennessee Tech’s Online Master’s of Professional Studies requires 30 hours of coursework completion.
- Students can choose one out of six career-advancing concentrations, namely Corporate Communication, Healthcare Administration, Human Resources Leadership, Media and Strategic Communication, Public Safety, or Strategic Leadership.
Tennessee Tech’s Online Master’s of Professional Studies is developed with flexibility and affordability in mind. After graduation, graduates will receive their degrees plus an embedded certificate program. Hence, the curriculum is like hitting two birds with one stone once you’ve completed all program requirements.
Tennessee Tech University has numerous institutional and programmatic accreditations and memberships from prestigious organizations, such as the American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education, the American Council on Education, and the Council of Graduate Schools.
Tennessee Tech’s Top 5 graduate programs by enrollment include the Master of Professional Studies program.
Based in Washington D.C., Strayer University offers 31 programs and 75 specializations and concentrations to 50,000 and counting students. With partnerships and recognitions from the Jackwelch Management Institute, Joe Gibbs Performance Management, and Digital Entrepreneurship, students are guaranteed to have an innovative and high-quality program at Strayer.
- Strayer’s MBA in Professional Studies has ten courses only, completed in a 100% online and flexible learning format.
- Each course has an 11-week duration, offering students the option to complete their courses according to their preference and pace.
- Upon enrolling, students will have an assigned admissions officer and student services coach to motivate, mentor, and support their academic journey until they graduate.
- To enroll in an online graduate program, students will no longer submit their GRE/GMAT scores.
- Strayer University is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs and the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Enrolling in Strayer’s Online MBA in Professional Studies provides you with the opportunity to graduate easily with its generous transfer credits. Students can transfer a maximum of 28 undergraduate classes depending on their educational background.
Strayer University features DevMountain, a coding and design boot camp established in 2013. With DevMountain, students can find a diverse range of boot camp courses related to the tech industry.
Some of the short courses you can enroll in at DevMountain include Software QA Testing, UX Design, Data Analytics, Java Software Engineering, and iOS Development.
The Pennsylvania State University
The Pennsylvania State University established the Penn State World Campus, the 2nd biggest campus in the university system that caters to more than 20,000 non-traditional learners.
- PennState’s Online MPS in Strategic Communications program is ideal for graduates in their early or mid-career stages and adult professionals aspiring to become leaders and managers in their current professions.
- Students must prepare their official transcripts, three references, a writing sample, a statement of purpose, and a resume to enroll.
- Graduate school entrance exams are not mandatory for admission.
- The Online MPS program doesn’t require an undergraduate Communication degree for enrollment.
- A total of 30 credits is required for graduation.
Pursuing an Online Master of Professional Studies in Strategic Communications allows students to customize their curriculum through a set of electives.
Through the program, students are trained and taught by world-class faculty from the university’s biggest accredited school – the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications. After graduating, students will have access to the biggest alumni network in the country.
Since 1892, Penn State has already offered non-traditional learning to its students without on-campus visits. The university is a nationally recognized higher learning institution with the biggest alumni network in the U.S.
University of North Alabama
Founded in 1830, the University of North Alabama is the oldest 4-year public university in Alabama. It is home to a diverse population consisting of international students from 64 nations! UNA offers a diverse range of study abroad programs in numerous countries, including China, Australia, France, Africa, and Costa Rica.
- UNA’s Master of Professional Studies program requires three letters of professional reference, a Letter of Intent, and official transcripts as part of its enrollment checklist.
- The online MPrS program is a 33 to 36-credit hour graduate degree, consisting of six core required courses and four courses related to the concentration areas.
- Students can specialize in one area of study, namely Information Technology, Security and Safety Leadership, Community Development, and Higher Education Administration.
- A thesis or a non-thesis option is available for UNA’s Online MPrS graduate program.
UNA’s Online Master of Professional Studies can be completed within 1.5 to two years, providing students with the flexibility to complete their programs according to their pace. It is an applied professional program with personal development, organizational leadership, and workforce development at its core.
Several accrediting agencies have consistently accredited the University of North Alabama for its program offerings. The UNA produces more than 60,000 alumni worldwide, connected through its comprehensive Office of Alumni Relations.
Concentrations in an Online Master of Advanced Studies Degree Program
Master of Advanced Studies in Architecture
Graduates currently working as architects or in any architecture-related industry can enroll in an online Master of Advanced Studies in an architecture-related program to broaden their expertise and proficiency. When completing the program, students will have to accomplish a diverse range of courses from different departments.
The online Master of Advanced Studies in architecture-related programs often have an intensive research-based curriculum. Students can choose the courses they’d like to learn while accomplishing a thesis.
To enroll, students must have an undergraduate degree. The Master of Advanced Studies in Architecture and related programs can be earned within two years.
Master of Advanced Studies in Engineering
The Master of Advanced Studies in Engineering and other engineering-related programs offer graduates a concrete understanding of numerous technological systems and their application in several industries.
The program’s curriculum includes courses that emphasize subject areas related to software programs and digital systems. The online Master of Advanced Studies in Engineering is available to students with a bachelor’s degree and can be accomplished in 24 months.
Master of Advanced Studies in Healthcare
Online advanced studies in healthcare allow graduates to specialize in courses associated with clinical programs. With an online Master of Advanced Studies in Healthcare, students can select a specific area of discipline. Some of the subjects covered include nutrition and infectious diseases.
Besides that, students are taught how to perform clinical trials and learn more about different research methods.
Master of Education – Advanced Studies
An online Master of Education – Advanced Studies program is often pursued by students who want to teach a specific area of expertise at the post-secondary or secondary level. That said, the specialization can include subjects in mathematics, chemistry, history, or business.
The majority of courses in an online Master of Education – Advanced Studies program depend on the specialization. However, the curriculum often includes general education courses primarily geared towards education teaching and research methods.
A bachelor’s degree is required for students upon enrollment, and the program can be completed within 18 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an online Master of Advanced Studies?
Also called the Master of Professional Studies, the Master of Advanced Studies is a lesser-known postgraduate degree program available only in a few countries like the United States. An online Master of Advanced Studies curriculum is similar to an online Master of Business Administration program. However, the former is tailored to more specific fields, such as engineering, education, healthcare, and architecture.
Some graduate schools offer unique programs, such as an online Master of Advanced Studies in Sports Management. These online programs are significantly valuable for mid or late-career business professionals who desire to remain in a more specialized area of discipline.
What are the general admission requirements for enrolling in an online Master of Advanced Studies program?
All online Master of Advanced Studies programs require students to have a bachelor’s degree. However, some online programs require additional program-specific prerequisites. The average undergraduate GPA should be at least 2.75 on a scale of 4.0.
The minimum GPA requirement can also be supplemented with official test scores. Aside from official transcript of records, prospective students must also submit their current resume/CV, statement of purpose, and letters of recommendation.
For some online Master of Advanced Studies programs, students must submit official copies of passing marks on the GRE/GMAT. Like traditional graduate programs, international students or non-native English speakers will have to submit good English Language proficiency exams, such as IELTS/TOEFL.
Many program offerings for an online Master of Advanced Studies are available around the U.S. The majority of these programs are open to students with undergraduate degrees. After completing their degree programs, graduates can either pursue career advancement in their current field or start a new venture.
What can students expect in an online Master of Advanced Studies program?
As mentioned, an online Master of Advanced Studies degree is sometimes called a Master of Professional Studies. That said, students can already distinguish such programs and their differences between traditional and more common master’s programs, such as MBAs, Master of Arts, and Master of Science.
A Master of Advanced Studies is a common degree for students and working professionals pursuing higher education that focuses on independent work. As a result, they broaden their knowledge and strengthen practical skills that become essential for their careers.
Is a Master of Advanced Studies program financially worth it?
Pursuing an online Master of Advanced Studies program can be an expensive venture. In some cases, it may not guarantee a lucrative salary. Always remember that education doesn’t provide you with the assurance to find an immediate career or earn higher wages.
Employment trends for graduates depend on many factors, such as professional experience, geographic location, industry, and occupation.
Are you pursuing graduate studies while working? If not, evaluate the time you will be studying and the income you won’t be earning while completing your graduate studies. What is the income you’re expecting after graduation? Weigh down the expenses of the degree and how long it will take you to recover those expenses.
When calculating, identify the difference between the cost involved in pursuing an online Master of Advanced Study and the lifetime benefits. That said, you should consider the opportunity to earn a higher income and other financial gains that come with online Advanced Studies.
If you’re lucky, your current employer or company can offer tuition reimbursements to cover the costs of your graduate studies. Regardless of students’ financial circumstances, they must do comprehensive research and evaluate the financial benefits that they’ll eventually gain.
One of the best platforms to begin your research is the Occupational Outlook Handbook.
- Earning a Master’s of Advanced Studies is a wise choice; the perfect way to increase your earning power and gain valuable skills.
- And, if you choose, you can focus on numerous concentrations.
- Online opportunities are available for those with busy work schedules and home life.
- If you are a working professional and desire a leadership or management position, earning an online Master’s of Advanced Study degree is for you!